Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I used to muse about a Strangereal mod for Rule the Waves but sadly from what I can tell their map/globe uses some kind of commercially bought GPS data (hence the modern borders) that would be faaaar too much effort to figure out.

Yeah, I don’t think it would be possible to change the map without coming very close to just programming the game again yourself from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Squiggle posted:

They dropped to 50% back in 2017. According to isthereanydeal.com, it was ten bucks off a piece until in late April, and down to $20ish in July of 2019.

And a Steam sale last week.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So if I was going to buy one Command Ops 2 pack, which one should it be?

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

ZekeNY posted:

Highway to the Reich.

Especially the large Eindhoven to Nijmegen scenario is fantastic.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZekeNY posted:

Westwall is my favourite, it has a good mix of medium to large scenarios. It is also the most recent pack and benefits from the devs greater experience.

If you want smaller scenarios or are more interested in Africa then Cauldron/Foothills is good.

Bastogne and Valkyrie are the scenarios from Command Ops 1 which are about the Bulge.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 31, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I got cauldron as my first one and have been enjoying it. Scraped out a minor victory defending as the allies at Merse El Brega. I looked it up afterwards and not much is known of the actual battle so I think it is a mostly fictional scenario (also had huge numbers of casualties, 3000 on the axis side in my play through)

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

pointsofdata posted:

I looked it up afterwards and not much is known of the actual battle
I was reading about this very battle yesterday! The Tank War by Mark Urban has a chapter early on about it although it's mostly about the tankies' experiences rather than a detailed look into the tactics of the battle itself. He does quote quite extensively from several memoirs and war diaries though. I also found this thesis on the battle whilst googling https://hydra.hull.ac.uk/assets/hull:5595a/content

There's also this volume of the official British history of WW2 that someone made available online which covers Rommel's early advances in North Africa https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-Med-II/index.html There's a few other of the official histories online but not all which is a shame. https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/index.html

Basically it's a pretty minor battle that doesn't really get much coverage in the regular online places but if you dig around you can find out a lot more.

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 31, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

cool new Metroid game posted:

I was reading about this very battle yesterday! The Tank War by Mark Urban has a chapter early on about it although it's mostly about the tankies' experiences rather than a detailed look into the tactics of the battle itself. He does quote quite extensively from several memoirs and war diaries though. I also found this thesis on the battle whilst googling https://hydra.hull.ac.uk/assets/hull:5595a/content

I'm halfway through reading that thesis! It's interesting stuff, definitely seems like a major gently caress up to have not had more forces prepared for a German attack.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

This reminded me of the John Tiller Panzer Battles game Battles of North Africa 1941. I don't own it but I remember looking through the designer notes PDF they put up on their website a while back and being impressed by the number of battles. Had another look and they got a scenario covering Mersa el Brega as well, and as with every scenario there's a load of different variants, vs AI, vs real player, variable victory points, hypothetical poo poo etc. Page 86 in this PDF http://johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles/BattlesOfNorthAfrica/Notes.pdf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just finished the Island Prize command ops 2 scenario as both sides. Much easier as germans, you have an advantage in numbers and quality. As the allies you have two worthwhile units, the bofors AA company, which once dug in can engage and suppress normal infantry from out of their range, and the artillery which suppress other attacks and can be used as counter-battery against mortars to protect the bofors.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I bought CMO back when the new version was released and never really did much with it until today, when I spent nearly my entire day with the game and quite enjoying it.

Any good, relatively new community scenarios that stand out for anyone as being high quality (in terms of scenario design and scripting)? Specifically looking for stuff that isn't your normal NATO vs. Soviet flavor.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Drone posted:

So I bought CMO back when the new version was released and never really did much with it until today, when I spent nearly my entire day with the game and quite enjoying it.

Any good, relatively new community scenarios that stand out for anyone as being high quality (in terms of scenario design and scripting)? Specifically looking for stuff that isn't your normal NATO vs. Soviet flavor.

Have you tried the Sakura Blue scenario? A really interesting one that covers a Taiwan Vs. Japan wargame.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Vic from VR designs has done an interview on Shadow empire, might be worth checking out if you're interested.

https://explorminate.co/vic-from-vr-designs-interview-about-shadow-empire/

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So since Shadow Empires is coming out tomorrow I'm trying to organise a game to start on release.

I was thinking 3-5 players would be about enough, to try and keep the turns moving at a reasonable pace.

Also if we have enough interest it might be cool to try and arrange some TZ synced blitz games.

Discuss in the discord general channel if interested.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I was wondering why the release date still isn't on the Steam page. Looks like Matrix Game will have exclusivity for sometime, but they will hand out Steam key once the game is also released on Steam.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

pedro0930 posted:

I was wondering why the release date still isn't on the Steam page. Looks like Matrix Game will have exclusivity for sometime, but they will hand out Steam key once the game is also released on Steam.

Their entire marketing/release logistics is just a loving joke is why, would be my guess.

I mean, they don't even have a really clear release date on the Matrix site. I know it is June 4 through looking at the fine print of some stupid blog entries/updates thing, but I should not have to stare at the fine print of the main page for the game to find the release date.

Likewise, they haven't even announced a freaking price yet, the day before. It just seems like typical grognard publishing stupidity.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

pedro0930 posted:

I don't care if it makes its way to steam or not but I'm not buying jack poo poo from matrix.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

SlyFrog posted:

Their entire marketing/release logistics is just a loving joke is why, would be my guess.

I mean, they don't even have a really clear release date on the Matrix site. I know it is June 4 through looking at the fine print of some stupid blog entries/updates thing, but I should not have to stare at the fine print of the main page for the game to find the release date.

Likewise, they haven't even announced a freaking price yet, the day before. It just seems like typical grognard publishing stupidity.

I don't see a price, but the release date is on the store page.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 4, 2020

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Matrix never announce the price before release. They've made some decent strides to being more consumer friendly, but deep down they still loathe their customers.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

nessin posted:

I don't see a price, but the release date is on the store page.

Like I said, it's there, but they can't even do that well. It should be clearly visible and prominent. Instead, it is hidden away in some press release language.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

SlyFrog posted:

Like I said, it's there, but they can't even do that well. It should be clearly visible and prominent. Instead, it is hidden away in some press release language.

Their sale announcements are a pdf.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Sometimes they release on both platforms on the same day, other times they don’t and there’s a 3-6 month exclusivity window, but they’re really good about providing a Steam Code at the end of it.

I’ve never had an issue with their customer service, they’ve been really cool about beta testing, and they put out p fun games at normal price-points?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

V for Vegas posted:

Matrix never announce the price before release. They've made some decent strides to being more consumer friendly, but deep down they still loathe their customers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-03/kerbal-space-program-2-release-disrupted-by-corporate-strife

https://www.pcgamer.com/eugen-systems-developers-are-taking-their-employer-to-court/

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 4, 2020

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So Take-Two gutting an indie studio and Eugen not paying their developers excuses Matrix's behavior towards customers?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

AARP LARPer posted:

Sometimes they release on both platforms on the same day, other times they don’t and there’s a 3-6 month exclusivity window, but they’re really good about providing a Steam Code at the end of it.

I’ve never had an issue with their customer service, they’ve been really cool about beta testing, and they put out p fun games at normal price-points?

A lot of it is the split between matrix/Slitherine. though they are supposedly merged, they do seem to be independent companies.

I know from my dealing as a corporate shill, for slitherine games, you get an email in advance of preview asking if you want to register for a key, they then send you a steam key.

For matrix games, they just send you a key normally a couple of days before the game is released. the seemingly pick at random.

Its the same PR guy. totally different rules.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm sure those articles go into lots of detail about how Matrix is good at keeping its customers up to date on the development of their titles? Or has an easy to use store page that lets you do useful things like filter for games based on their MP capability? Or they let you play their games without an annoying launcher popping up everytime?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think the point is that as backwards as Matrix are they aren't at least actively malicious, which puts them ahead of a depressingly large section of the publishing world.

Plus they are making progress, however glacially. Remember when they insisted that none of their games could possibly be on steam? Or that sales were lost money?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing about Matrix isn't so much that they loathe their customers as it is that they have zero respect for most of their developers ability to deliver something that is a) on time and b) actually playable.

It's one of the open reasons they were so resistant to going to Steam for so long - if they go to steam then they have to actually acknowledge that there's one half of their catalogue that's actually marketable products, and one half that's pure garbage. As long as they're on the Matrix store they can mash them together and milk their captive customer pool who will just buy anything.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK so there's a D-Day sale on now (at least they have sales now). What do Matrix think is more important - being able to filter games by the ones I already own, or being able to filter by games that were released on the PSP Go?

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

V for Vegas posted:

OK so there's a D-Day sale on now (at least they have sales now). What do Matrix think is more important - being able to filter games by the ones I already own, or being able to filter by games that were released on the PSP Go?

A real Grog revels in reading the catalogue from front to back.

He doesn't need dumbed down stores like Steam.

Lotti Fuehrscheim fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 4, 2020

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

V for Vegas posted:

I'm sure those articles go into lots of detail about how Matrix is good at keeping its customers up to date on the development of their titles? Or has an easy to use store page that lets you do useful things like filter for games based on their MP capability? Or they let you play their games without an annoying launcher popping up everytime?

As a consumer, I understand that you care about these things. As a developer, if you think these are more important than a publisher supporting his collaborating developers and treating them fairly, then I can only say: Have fun with your Foxconn electronics.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

V for Vegas posted:

I'm so glad that they've finally moved off of the "have a sale? do you want me to STARVE TO DEATH?" hill to die on that I can live with the so-confusing-it-must-be-intentionally-bad storefront.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Matrix isn't so much that they loathe their customers as it is that they have zero respect for most of their developers ability to deliver something that is a) on time and b) actually playable.

It's one of the open reasons they were so resistant to going to Steam for so long - if they go to steam then they have to actually acknowledge that there's one half of their catalogue that's actually marketable products, and one half that's pure garbage. As long as they're on the Matrix store they can mash them together and milk their captive customer pool who will just buy anything.

I can't wait for you to start working on wargame development. It will be highly entertaining :)

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dimitris posted:

As a consumer, I understand that you care about these things. As a developer, if you think these are more important than a publisher supporting his collaborating developers and treating them fairly, then I can only say: Have fun with your Foxconn electronics.

Well I'm not a developer and I was making a point about how they give zero fucks about how their customers use their site and buy their products (like yours!).

Seriously, how long would it take to change a filter on a search bar so it was useful? And don't get me started on how godawful their forum from 2005 is. (I am aware of the irony posting about that on somethingawful dot com).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dimitris posted:

Dimitris posted:

I can't wait for you to start working on wargame development. It will be highly entertaining :)

YES. THAT'S IT. THAT'S IT EXACTLY.

That lovely attitude that reveals the flaw in the logic; your money doesn't come from the publisher supporting the developers, your money comes from consumers purchasing your product.

Stepping on the neck of people with good products so that they don't outshine the bad products is not 'supporting collaborators', it's deliberately stagnating your market and trying to act like a monopoly player in a tiny tiny pool.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

YES. THAT'S IT. THAT'S IT EXACTLY.

That lovely attitude that reveals the flaw in the logic; your money doesn't come from the publisher supporting the developers, your money comes from consumers purchasing your product.
If a publisher supports me and treats me fairly then I can do my work in peace, get my game to the market and have it embrace it or reject it. If my publisher screws me, guess what? My vision never sees the light of day (and quite likely I'm out of the market entirely). Lose-Lose for everyone :)

quote:

Stepping on the neck of people with good products so that they don't outshine the bad products is not 'supporting collaborators', it's deliberately stagnating your market and trying to act like a monopoly player in a tiny tiny pool.
If you think that M/S are "stepping on the neck of people with good products" then we just have to disagree.

Looking forward to Alchenar Wargaming Studios stepping into the void :)

Dimitris fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 4, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
lol at the MAKE YOUR OWN GAME THEN response to complaining about a objectively lovely store gently caress off

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

lol at the MAKE YOUR OWN GAME THEN response to complaining about a objectively lovely store gently caress off

Thank you :)

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

V for Vegas posted:

And don't get me started on how godawful their forum from 2005 is. (I am aware of the irony posting about that on somethingawful dot com).

I don't like the forum either :)

But I appreciate the things they get right. Admittedly I am biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

GENTLEMEN YOU CANT FIGHT IN HERE THIS IS THE shadow empire release thread WAR ROOM.