Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
ONLY TODAY - 30% off on CMO and all DLCs: https://www.slitherine.com/inventory/special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

By the way Children of a Dead Earth is currently $2 on Steam so if you've ever wanted to unleash your inner space nerd now's the time.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
I have been bashing my head against the Luibijiana Gap scenario in UoC 2 for two days. Somebody tell me what I’m missing. I’m not getting to Maribor by turn 10, to say nothing of Graz.

I’ve tried sending a large force up the left to divide the defenders; I’ve tried a token force on the left and everyone up the center; I’ve tried ignoring Zagreb completely in favour of the primary objectives... I just can’t crack it.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Mandatory Assembly posted:

I have been bashing my head against the Luibijiana Gap scenario in UoC 2 for two days. Somebody tell me what I’m missing. I’m not getting to Maribor by turn 10, to say nothing of Graz.

I’ve tried sending a large force up the left to divide the defenders; I’ve tried a token force on the left and everyone up the center; I’ve tried ignoring Zagreb completely in favour of the primary objectives... I just can’t crack it.

Send a couple infantry and one tank along the north to cut off supply coming in from the north of the map. If you can make it over the branch of the river hold the river valley and bring up the rest of your elements to secure a supply pathway.

Use a pontoon bridge to get on the side of the river adjacent to the last objective and park some assault infantry there. Use set piece attacks to force the unit holding the last city to retreat and move a unit into the city. One you hold it for a turn it’s game over.

Hope that helps, I can screen shot it later tonight if you are a visual learner.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Some time ago, I posted about how I was having trouble running Uncommon Valor / War in the Pacific despite having a computer that was significantly over-specced for it.

I upgraded my computer this morning, which finally put me in a position to test my theory as to what was happening, and I think I've figured it out.

I think what's happening is that UV / WITP is pretty much single-threaded and loves high clock speeds, but since modern CPUs will downclock when idle/not-in-heavy-use, and since UV / WITP is relatively easy to run such that the computer will not think that it has to run at full clip, the CPU will stay at low clocks, which means the game is also going to run very slowly.

What I had to do to get UV / WITP to run decently was to set a flat clock multiplier, and also turn off AMD's Cool-and-Quiet feature, to lock-in my CPU at 3.7 GHz at all times, and only then would it run fast enough to not be painful.

This sort of makes sense given that the last time I got it to run well was with an old Athlon from 2010 that just ran at a steady 3.0 GHz all the time, and that the two other computers I've had trouble running it since was an Intel-based laptop and an Intel Xeon, both of which I couldn't overclock (which is what setting a specific multiplier is), and I couldn't stop from downclocking.

Maybe this will help someone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNgAZVrf40

welp, time to reinstall Silent Hunter

again

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I've been playing around with Children of a Dead Earth's level builder and it's reached the point where I am making spreadsheets to calculate if my bodies make sense astrophysically.

Send help.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Saros posted:

I've been playing around with Children of a Dead Earth's level builder and it's reached the point where I am making spreadsheets to calculate if my bodies make sense astrophysically.

Send help.

You're exactly where you want to be and where you belong, grognard

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Saros posted:

Send help.

"And here, we see clear evidence of the continuing severe grognitive decline of the patient. There is sadly no cure, but distress in the patient can be managed with regular infusions of hexmaphetamines."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

gradenko_2000 posted:

again

I saw that last night. It's good. Hanks' screenplay plays it safe in a few spots (should have gone with callsign George), and there's the obvious anachronism of a mid-1945 AA and CiC equipped Fletcher on convoy duty in 1942, but it's not like they were going to make any alterations to the actual Fletcher-class they were shooting on. Visually it's perfect. You got to see the XO doing the trigonometry for plotting courses. Best of all, it isn't padded. It gets right to the action and stays there for all 90 minutes.

I'll go A-. It's not Saving Private Ryan, but it sure as hell isn't U-571 either.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pNgAZVrf40

again

mllaneza posted:

I saw that last night. It's good. Hanks' screenplay plays it safe in a few spots (should have gone with callsign George), and there's the obvious anachronism of a mid-1945 AA and CiC equipped Fletcher on convoy duty in 1942, but it's not like they were going to make any alterations to the actual Fletcher-class they were shooting on. Visually it's perfect. You got to see the XO doing the trigonometry for plotting courses. Best of all, it isn't padded. It gets right to the action and stays there for all 90 minutes.

I'll go A-. It's not Saving Private Ryan, but it sure as hell isn't U-571 either.

I saw a trailer for this on cable last night and literally laughed because that trailer was so bad I thought it was for World of Warships at first. Posted trailer is better. Did the American's do much Atlantic convoy patrols in 42? Or is this a U-571 style adaptation of British/Canadian events?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, considering they were getting pissed off their ships kept getting sunk before they joined the war.

So, is this film just The Enemy Below 2 Electric Boogaloo?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I saw that last night. It's good.

I'm not a nautical man and I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but I think I saw a pretty big ship dodging torpedoes Neo-style and straffing a sub with AA guns? I'm a bit skeptical, is what I'm saying.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It's based on a book.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The visual depictions might be a bit wonky, and they probably do take a fair few liberties for the sake of the camera.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Virtual Russian posted:

I saw a trailer for this on cable last night and literally laughed because that trailer was so bad I thought it was for World of Warships at first. Posted trailer is better. Did the American's do much Atlantic convoy patrols in 42? Or is this a U-571 style adaptation of British/Canadian events?

1942 was a critical point in the Battle of the Atlantic because it was a time when convoys had a gap in air cover between Nova Scotia and Iceland, and again between Iceland and Ireland, and they didn't yet have enough destroyers and jeep carriers to actively hunt U-boats, and Enigma hadn't been comprehensively broken yet.

The turning point would have been around May 1943, when carriers started coming online, Liberators could provide full air cover the whole way, and wolfpacks could be tracked via Enigma again.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Started playing the new Spanish Civil War mission pack for Panzer Corps 2. So far it's been pretty interesting. The system with your spanish allies being computer-controlled is kinda wonky, though, and there's a couple bugs. The tactical challenges are actually pretty fun, though, and it's hilarious how especially early on you're really on a shoestring equipment-wise. The freakin Italian CTV units you can buy as auxiliaries have better equipment than your Condor Legion core units, and a lot of the soviet export equipment you can capture from the Republicans is just plain better, too. Really forces you to use anti-tank units properly when you're stuck with light biplanes, Panzer Is and MG-armed scout cars against T-26s and BT-5s.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AARP LARPer posted:

I'm not a nautical man and I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but I think I saw a pretty big ship dodging torpedoes Neo-style and straffing a sub with AA guns? I'm a bit skeptical, is what I'm saying.

Yes, the Fletchers were notoriously un-maneuverable, and no DD in 1942 had that many 40mm...

However, what they had to shoot on was a 1945-equipped Fletcher. So that's the hero ship in the movie, otherwise it's all CGI and faked sets. Pick one.

Come to think of it, destroyers and corvettes repeatedly strafed U-boats at ranges that close with everything that would depress low enough, or could be thrown at it. There's an account of U-boat crew being knocked into the water by thrown 4" shell casings. I'm skeptical about the potato story, but the only unrealistic thing about the strafing scene is that nobody is throwing anything or using a sidearm.

The trailer didn't show the CiC scenes with the XO plotting intercepts and keeping track of contacts for the captain. So count your blessings we got those. Best naval war movie in a long time, warts and all.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Yeah, I get it and I'm not hating on it. Thanks for the review.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I listened to Dan Carlin interview Tom Hanks about the movie. Apparently he wanted to lean further into the naval minutiae then they did.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Yes, the Fletchers were notoriously un-maneuverable, and no DD in 1942 had that many 40mm...

However, what they had to shoot on was a 1945-equipped Fletcher. So that's the hero ship in the movie, otherwise it's all CGI and faked sets. Pick one.

Come to think of it, destroyers and corvettes repeatedly strafed U-boats at ranges that close with everything that would depress low enough, or could be thrown at it. There's an account of U-boat crew being knocked into the water by thrown 4" shell casings. I'm skeptical about the potato story, but the only unrealistic thing about the strafing scene is that nobody is throwing anything or using a sidearm.

The trailer didn't show the CiC scenes with the XO plotting intercepts and keeping track of contacts for the captain. So count your blessings we got those. Best naval war movie in a long time, warts and all.
I'd not heard the complaint about Fletchers lacking maneuverability. I'd like to know more.

I recall a story where a sub and a tin can got so close that the crew later said they could have thrown potatoes. They didn't actually though. I haven't watched the trailer yet. What is the potato incident you are referencing?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

AARP LARPer posted:

Aircraft carriers can and did dodge torpedoes. A destroyer can make 30+ knots and turn far faster, not weird at all.

Hell, during the battle of Jutland the HMS Marlborough, a Super-dreadnought, dodged one torpedo, was struck by another, then dodged six more.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Class Warcraft posted:

Aircraft carriers can and did dodge torpedoes. A destroyer can make 30+ knots and turn far faster, not weird at all.

Hell, during the battle of Jutland the HMS Marlborough, a Super-dreadnought, dodged one torpedo, was struck by another, then dodged six more.

the part that stretches belief is the bit in the trailer where the destroyers leans in and does a Tokyo Drift into a torpedo such that it scrapes the hull and fails to detonate

not only is it improbable that you could time the maneuver so precisely, it was American torpedoes that had problems with their contact detonators if the angle wasn't just right

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

lol the reason the last Shock Force campaign to be updated for 2, the UK Highland Games, is taking so loving long is because the guy working on it - admittedly named Heirloom_Tomato - is gardening instead.

quote:

I am still working on this and the updated missions are being play tested. I have a few missions left to update but progress is being made. I will admit this campaign is taking a backseat to my gardening work, I have a large family and with all the fun from Corona, I want to make sure I can keep them all fed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Also the giant SS style emblems on the conning towers and the U-Boat directly contacting via radio the captains ship to send a spooky message. The trailer looked bad but I keep hearing positive things about it so I might give it a shot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

not only is it improbable that you could time the maneuver so precisely, it was American torpedoes that had problems with their contact detonators if the angle wasn't just right

The angle was about 80 degrees, nobody's torpedoes were good at that angle.

That was the most dramatic "captain has the plot in his head" scene they had, so they played it up. It worked on-screen. Just because we're the kind of dorks who would have loved to follow all the action from CiC plots, that's not how you shoot movies, and that's not for everyone. Let them have it.

It's a good movie in spite of its compromises. It's not about angles and distances, it's about what it's like to go without sleep or food for five days and still be able to calculate a depth charge attack. Greyhound is good on the former and excellent on the latter.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Magni posted:

Started playing the new Spanish Civil War mission pack for Panzer Corps 2. So far it's been pretty interesting. The system with your spanish allies being computer-controlled is kinda wonky, though, and there's a couple bugs. The tactical challenges are actually pretty fun, though, and it's hilarious how especially early on you're really on a shoestring equipment-wise. The freakin Italian CTV units you can buy as auxiliaries have better equipment than your Condor Legion core units, and a lot of the soviet export equipment you can capture from the Republicans is just plain better, too. Really forces you to use anti-tank units properly when you're stuck with light biplanes, Panzer Is and MG-armed scout cars against T-26s and BT-5s.

Completely agreed. It’s been refreshingly different to the base game and it’s been good fun having to work with very early kit that cannot just roll flanks on their own (if occasionally irksome due to the AI quirks you mentioned).

The tipping point (for me at least) was the ... I think 8th mission? The choice between Bilbao/Malaga at any rate, as that’s when Panzer 1Bs and a much better crop of German aeroplanes become available which helps a lot.

CTV infantry are also far too useful to not take at least 2 or 3 of per mission too, prestige allowing.

One of the early dev posts was a touch snide about allowing the Germans access to infantry this way if they really didn’t want to commit to the exact condor legion make up, etc etc... meanwhile I’m stuck in yet another bloody hilly hell wondering how you’re not supposed to have a few per mission.

Because the Nationalist infantry do have some ... questionable target priorities (letting encirclements of multiple Soviet lend lease armour units collapse to kill a 1-HP AA gun a few hexes away, etc.) and the large amount of overstrength I-15/16 fighters that seem to start popping up every first turn after Bilbao/Malaga means you sure as hell don’t have the air advantage the game (E: game devs*, some missions do at least warn you in briefings if you’re running into heavy Republican air power) thinks you do.

That grumble aside, SCW is a good time and encouraging for the rest of the Grand Campaign stuff to come.

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 14, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

gradenko_2000 posted:

The German "Impact Pistol" had the same angle problems the American torpedoes did, though most of the issues were fixed by 42, IIRC.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

the part that stretches belief is the bit in the trailer where the destroyers leans in and does a Tokyo Drift into a torpedo such that it scrapes the hull and fails to detonate

By tokyo drift do you mean just turning the ship hard to starboard? Ships naturally have leeway based on their momentum and the movement of the ocean.

The contact detonator is at the very tip of the torpedo - it won't detonate unless it makes direct contact.

edit: also why argue about a movie you haven't seen?

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 14, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I mean i'm going to watch it for sure but the fact the U-Boats make the same sounds as the evil super-dinosaur from Jurassic park is a bit weird.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe what’s weird is dinosaurs making noises like uboats :thunk:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Serpentis posted:

Completely agreed. It’s been refreshingly different to the base game and it’s been good fun having to work with very early kit that cannot just roll flanks on their own (if occasionally irksome due to the AI quirks you mentioned).

The tipping point (for me at least) was the ... I think 8th mission? The choice between Bilbao/Malaga at any rate, as that’s when Panzer 1Bs and a much better crop of German aeroplanes become available which helps a lot.

CTV infantry are also far too useful to not take at least 2 or 3 of per mission too, prestige allowing.

One of the early dev posts was a touch snide about allowing the Germans access to infantry this way if they really didn’t want to commit to the exact condor legion make up, etc etc... meanwhile I’m stuck in yet another bloody hilly hell wondering how you’re not supposed to have a few per mission.

Because the Nationalist infantry do have some ... questionable target priorities (letting encirclements of multiple Soviet lend lease armour units collapse to kill a 1-HP AA gun a few hexes away, etc.) and the large amount of overstrength I-15/16 fighters that seem to start popping up every first turn after Bilbao/Malaga means you sure as hell don’t have the air advantage the game (E: game devs*, some missions do at least warn you in briefings if you’re running into heavy Republican air power) thinks you do.

That grumble aside, SCW is a good time and encouraging for the rest of the Grand Campaign stuff to come.

Yeah, I really like the design- there's a few frustrations as you say. They kinda have to brute force to make the Nationalist infantry work as the colonials just blow everything else out of the water. Shared support for allies isn't working at the moment so i'm waiting for them to fix that bug before I proceed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
When is Hanks gonna finish his Mighty Eighth show :mad:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Virtual Russian posted:

No. Less than 3% of the Atlantic convoy ‘escorts’ were USN/US Coast Guard in 1942—and most of those that did exist were American Fleet Tugs pulling poo poo, and rescuing poo poo, not actual convoy escorts.

That’s another area, in addition to having a 1945 Fletcher in 1942, that’s almost completely inaccurate.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 15, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

No. Less than 3% of the Atlantic convoy ‘escorts’ were USN/US Coast Guard in 1942—and most of those that did exist were American Fleet Tugs pilling poo poo, and rescuing poo poo, not actual convoy escorts.

That’s another area, in addition to having a 1945 Fletcher in 1942, that’s almost completely inaccurate.

I thought so, i based much of this on having never run into an American DD during 1942 in TWOS Silent Hunter 5.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but has anyone heard of/tried Shadow Empires?

It is a post-apocalyptic empire builder/4x that supposedly mixes Civ with Crusader Kings 2 on a hex map. And you can start on a randomized planet. With a randomized tech tree. And it looks like rear end but that's not the point.

Here is a review: https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/shadow-empire/

Edit: Shadow Empires reminds me of an older more post-apoc focused game Armageddon Empires, which is awesome.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 15, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Shadow Empire thread.

The game is pretty good, not without some problems but the dev is being super active right now. I personally wouldn't say the game is much like Civ or CKII, it's a hex and counters wargame and not much more than that. But it's definitely entertaining and I recommend it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well the relationship management definitely has similarities to ck ii

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If you have played the Decisive campaigns games or Advanced tactics it's the same hex & counter wargame system with 4X/leader/card systems. I don't see how anyone could say it's not a Civ/Alpha Centauri style 4X though, it's got all the components just more focus on combat/logistics than usual for those games.

I've been running a Multiplayer SSLP and also a VLP of a second game.

Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoitGFD6Z-E

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Virtual Russian posted:

I thought so, i based much of this on having never run into an American DD during 1942 in TWOS Silent Hunter 5.

You were far more likely to see an American battleship, like the Texas, escorting convoys on the Atlantic in 1942 than an American destroyer or minesweeper.

Keeping in mind that the Allies in 1942 were still very concerned that Scharnhorst of Gneisenau would sortie from France, or Tirpitz would try to break into the Atlantic to disrupt convoys.