Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

That's one way to say おはよう

This is a terrible, terrible pun. ("Ohayo" is Japanese for "good morning")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ohio!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
What state is high in the middle and round at both ends?
Good morning.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I got a Steam Deck, anyone reccomend good grog games that run well on it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1674830/Victory_at_Sea_Atlantic__World_War_II_Naval_Warfare/

Looks fun!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Great. Now I have like 8 naval games on my wishlist that aren't out yet.

I'm a sub fiend mostly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sorry!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Oh it's ok...

:getin:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I feel like a broken record but why are these devs so aversive to coop? I don't like playing by myself.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The devs are used to nobody caring about their grognard interests so just assume everybody is flying sailing solo :v:

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I got a Steam Deck, anyone reccomend good grog games that run well on it?

If you are willing to fiddle a bit with control settings you can play most grog games without issue on the Steam Deck. I’ve played everything from Dangerous Waters to Dominions to Second Front.

The notable grog games you can’t run on it (in my experience) are TOAW, CMO, and Shadow Empire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
With a Steam Deck you could do a Silent Hunter run at 1x time compression. Just take it along with you everywhere.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

With a Steam Deck you could do a Silent Hunter run at 1x time compression. Just take it along with you everywhere.

I remember when uhh.... gently caress I forgot their username, tried to do a 1x Silent Hunter stream where they'd rely on people pinging them in the middle of the night and poo poo and iirc Silent Hunter does NOT want you to 1x it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I remember when uhh.... gently caress I forgot their username, tried to do a 1x Silent Hunter stream where they'd rely on people pinging them in the middle of the night and poo poo and iirc Silent Hunter does NOT want you to 1x it.

That was Herpicle Omicron! They also did some CMO Yankee Team like that too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yooper posted:

That was Herpicle Omicron! They also did some CMO Yankee Team like that too.

Herpicle! Yeah!

What a time to be alive on the forums.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yup, that was quite the miserable experiment! CMANO Yankee Team went a helluva lot better, something about CMO just doesn't agree with me/my computer because every time I've tried to run it, I've had some kind of issue. I also just don't like UBOAT, so I've not even considered using that. I've been thinking about trying something like that again, but the candidates I have in mind (such as Pirates of the Caribbean with the New Horizons mod, or the new open source Beyond New Horizons) are just so janky and crash prone that they've just not been worth it.

If the weather had more granularity to it and the AI wasn't ridiculously more competent at 1x TC, I would've probably kept it going.

Oh, I also tried Command Ops, but there was some weirdness I don't recall with the time that stopped it from being actually real time. Still looking for games to run that way!

E: also considered original X-Com, but the lowest time setting is 5 second increments, so I'm not really bothered if it isn't fully groggy

...Maybe I need to just get into Falcon BMS.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 26, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yup, that was quite the miserable experiment! CMANO Yankee Team went a helluva lot better, something about CMO just doesn't agree with me/my computer because every time I've tried to run it, I've had some kind of issue. I also just don't like UBOAT, so I've not even considered using that. I've been thinking about trying something like that again, but the candidates I have in mind (such as Pirates of the Caribbean with the New Horizons mod, or the new open source Beyond New Horizons) are just so janky and crash prone that they've just not been worth it.

If the weather had more granularity to it and the AI wasn't ridiculously more competent at 1x TC, I would've probably kept it going.

Oh, I also tried Command Ops, but there was some weirdness I don't recall with the time that stopped it from being actually real time. Still looking for games to run that way!

E: also considered original X-Com, but the lowest time setting is 5 second increments, so I'm not really bothered if it isn't fully groggy

...Maybe I need to just get into Falcon BMS.

I'd be really interested in the Command Ops game, I absolutely love it. Just wish the jank factor was 50% lower (well more like 99% but have to be realistic)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

distortion park posted:

I'd be really interested in the Command Ops game, I absolutely love it. Just wish the jank factor was 50% lower (well more like 99% but have to be realistic)

It was pretty much close enough to real time, so I just need to learn how to play it better.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I always thought it was sick that Command Ops had the greek focused release. The whole region is just full of absurd terrain you have to navigate.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yup, that was quite the miserable experiment!

What the.... :stare:

How long did that take?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What the.... :stare:

How long did that take?

First patrol of the campaign was 1st of February 1940/2015 to the 16th of February, the second patrol was 19th March to 29th March, when we sunk. Third was May 1st to May 12th - utterly uneventful, then July 15th to July 30th. Then I had insane technical issues, to bring it back in March 2016/1941 up until the 21st of the month. Re-read the old thread and my god, I knew NOTHING about how to do any of this poo poo back then.

You bet if I did it again I'd put a helluva lot more attention into it, but, remember it was pre-Discord so I was relying on Skype pings! and streaming on Hitbox.tv! Madness. But I do want to do it again. Maybe I'll stop grumbling over the changes in SH4...

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 27, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Pretty please link that thread if you do end up doing it again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

First patrol of the campaign was 1st of February 1940/2015 to the 16th of February, the second patrol was 19th March to 29th March, when we sunk. Third was May 1st to May 12th - utterly uneventful, then July 15th to July 30th. Then I had insane technical issues, to bring it back in March 2016/1941 up until the 21st of the month. Re-read the old thread and my god, I knew NOTHING about how to do any of this poo poo back then.

You bet if I did it again I'd put a helluva lot more attention into it, but, remember it was pre-Discord so I was relying on Skype pings! and streaming on Hitbox.tv! Madness. But I do want to do it again. Maybe I'll stop grumbling over the changes in SH4...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you do it again please setup a klaxon in your bedroom that is connected to Discord notifications so people watching the stream can alert you at 2 AM when they see a seagull.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I now sleep in the same room as my computer so that's doable nowadays. Used to be that I had to sprint down the stairs if I got a contact notification in the middle of the night.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

I now sleep in the same room as my computer so that's doable nowadays. Used to be that I had to sprint down the stairs if I got a contact notification in the middle of the night.

Dear Lord :staredog:

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The child inside me is saluting you so hard right now

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74EOeyYdZM

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This talk sent me down a road last night, and you know what? Still working on the control scheme, but Silent Hunter 3 works surprisingly well on the Deck. The out-the-box 1024x768 doesn't even look that wrong.

Just need to figure out modding next. Also caveat, I am not cool enough to be doing manual torpedo calculations.

EDIT, if you're curious:
Scopes: L4/L5 on the back are Shift and Ctrl. I use R4/R5 to raise/lower the periscopes: the attack periscope normally, or - while holding L4 - the observation scope. Possibly a waste of two buttons but for now it's fun.
Telegraph: The left trackpad is a radial touch menu with all of the telegraph notches, Full Stop at 12 o'clock, forward notches on the right and reverse notches on the left.
Dive controls: Long-holds of the right-stick (so I don't accidentally flick them) in cardinal directions for: Surface (up), Dive (down), Hold Level (right), and Periscope depth (left). Double-pushing the right stick crash dives.
Stations: Select button is the nav map. Press left stick for the command room, long-press for the bridge; press right stick for attack periscope, long-press for the UZO. May swap the UZO out for the observation scope, depending on how often it turns out I need to quick-jump to the either - but at least the UZO has a sidebar shortcut, unlike the observation periscope.

Trying to decide how badly I need quick cuts to the other stations, or if mousing around is enough. LMB is right trigger, RMB is left trigger, and for now the scroll up/down is on LB/RB. May do a mode-shift scrollwheel on the left pad instead.
Also not sure what to do with the tube/torp commands yet, but they'll likely go on the face buttons.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 27, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just use the Dick O'Kane method and skip torp calculations entirely

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm far too lazy to do the manual torpedo calculations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Too lazy to do manual torpedo calculations?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just use the Dick O'Kane method and skip torp calculations entirely

^^^This^^^ is the answer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Same gunnery advice I give in WW1/2 flight sims, get closer and lead the target more.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A quote from ww1 I read as a kid said "aim for the man, not the machine" but doing it right makes it so much harder. There's no other gaming quite like it, the wood creaking, the hard edge of all the limitations, and yet the freedom to forget about gravity because the limitations creates massive amounts of lift and time to do it in. The sense of vulnerability.

You get so close you start seeing the individual. It's awful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

Same gunnery advice I give in WW1/2 flight sims, get closer and lead the target more.

I got better at War Thunder from reading the appendix of Lundstrom's "The First Team" that went into detail about how USN pilots were taught deflection shooting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A quote from ww1 I read as a kid said "aim for the man, not the machine" but doing it right makes it so much harder. There's no other gaming quite like it, the wood creaking, the hard edge of all the limitations, and yet the freedom to forget about gravity because the limitations creates massive amounts of lift and time to do it in. The sense of vulnerability.

You get so close you start seeing the individual. It's awful.

Yeah, in SH3 I'd let a target go in really bad weather, and in IL-2 I once chased an AI fighter back to its base and passed up a shot right before he landed.

But, WW1 dogfighting in VR is sublime. I need to get my prescription lenses so I can get back to that.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, in SH3 I'd let a target go in really bad weather, and in IL-2 I once chased an AI fighter back to its base and passed up a shot right before he landed.

But, WW1 dogfighting in VR is sublime. I need to get my prescription lenses so I can get back to that.

Truly is. And it was ww1 il2 in VR I was thinking of. Having played flight sims and fps's since I was 7?, it's visceral. Intense like nothing else.
No joke, never before have winning a lot made me want to stop playing it.

The jousting is fine, but something strange happens in VR. It's when you sneak up on someone. The entire time feeling palpably vulnerable, exposed, in it, and then you get up to them. Not the airplane, the pilot. You see them. The change of the target. For a split second you need to interpret the picture which instinctually opens the locked door of your thoughts. And it's sudden, the flash feeling of the 100lb of machine guns in front of you, and what you're about to do to a person.
It's the vulnerability.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Is there any way to get RtW3 to display better on my on my laptop?
A bunch of the buttons are cut off and it's kinda annoying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is your laptop's monitor smaller than 1080p? I know WITE was unplayable on my old 720p potato because it was never designed to scale its UI elements, and that could be what's happening

you could try the scaling feature on Windows display settings, or forcing a higher resolution using your video card's "Super Resolution" feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The jousting is fine, but something strange happens in VR. It's when you sneak up on someone. The entire time feeling palpably vulnerable, exposed, in it, and then you get up to them. Not the airplane, the pilot. You see them. The change of the target. For a split second you need to interpret the picture which instinctually opens the locked door of your thoughts. And it's sudden, the flash feeling of the 100lb of machine guns in front of you, and what you're about to do to a person.
It's the vulnerability.

I flew a Full Real coop mission on Hyperlobby once upon a time. I did my navigation, I got to where I was supposed to be, I spotted targets. I made my approach from their 4 o'clock low. I followed my own gunnery advice and got in super close. I ripped my target to pieces with close-range 20mm fire.

And then I see wreckage with scraps of insignia go past my cockpit. The same insignia I was wearing.

gently caress.

I just spent 40 minutes on a blue-on-blue shoot. By rights I'm writing two or three letters (twin-engined plane), or one letter and picking up a revolver with one round in it.

It felt so good when I flew an FR mission, found a target and killed it...and then that.