Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You'll never get your steam key if you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is a megathread because none of these games are popular enough to sustain a thread to themselves. It's natural that chat gravitates to particular releases when they happen.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh jesus I bet they've gone for some special snowflake drm that is nothing remotely like an accepted industry standard and will work purely because no pirate will bother to crack it but will be super annoying to all consumers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's always fun seeing the grognard dev say 'We did our research and this was the best option available" and yet they've somehow come to the opposite conclusion of everyone else in their industry.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Obfuscation posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I do not care one bit about drm and I would prepurchase RTW2 right now if I could.

I'm looking forward to a week after release where people have codes that don't work and are having to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling the game to reset the clock to play it.

e: I've got no principled objection to drm at all. Developers deserve to get paid for their work. I object to objectively terrible implementation of drm when there are much better solutions on the shelf that these devs aren't going for because they are stubborn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

In fairness to Denuvo, as much as I hate it, part of the problem is that devs put it in MAXIMUM HITLER mode. Fun fact, you can make it check for piracy EVERY FRAME! You really shouldn't do that, but there's at least one case where that's how it was configured. You can imagine how brutally that destroyed performance for any game.

You can, if you want to, set it to much more reasonable DRM modes (with tradeoffs in being easier to crack), down to even the oldest school of DRM, where it just does file validation on launch.

I don't know what the costs are, but I can't really believe home rolled single install linked to your hardware trash DRM was the only thing available to them. It's more likely it's just their 1980s PC mindset making them think it'll work better.

They said something about refusing to have third party partners so they probably really did cut their own options all the way down.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yooper posted:

Steam is subscription based? Huh. That's new to me.

My only hope through all of this is it opens a sub-genre of grog games and someone else comes along, improves the design, and makes a "Rule the skies" for fighter jets or something. I'm sure there's a grog somewhere who invented the hex-and-counter game layout that's complaining about that Grigsby guy and his newfangled computer programs. I'm sure I'll buy the game on day one and enjoy it. But man, I hope someone iterates the whole system and makes something with a little less VB6 charm.

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/27538-ultimate-admiral-dreadnoughts-enters-testing-phase/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phi230 posted:

In before RtW 3 gets that uncrackable dongle thing that Steel Beasts uses

The saddest thing is that 'NWS posts you a dongle' has already been posted as a joke.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh man I got mad.

e: loving lecturing people on their security know how and credentials when they haven't even bothered to secure their community forum in TYOOL 2019

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 21, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They refuse to use a third party system and they refuse to use an automated system.

So on those criteria, exchanging one-time unique codes is the most effective DRM but only because that criteria rejects everything else a-priori.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

Yeah I'm holding off on rtw2 after that stunning display of arrogance and incompetence.

Yeah I could ultimately live with their dumb DRM implementation but for the fact that having a guy email me one code and then another code every time I want to install the software I purchased means I have to have immense trust that the people I'm emailing aren't incompetent fuckups. This display from them has taken away any right to the benefit of the doubt on that trust. I'm sure eventually I'll buy, but it'll be long after I've let other people take the plunge and see if there are any issues.

I know in the thread it's trendy to hate on Battlefront, but there's nothing seedy about what they do. They've made a business decision not to go with Steam and have invested in their own shopfront instead. That's for them to do. They charge for game updates... it's not industry practise but they're upfront about it and they don't let game breaking stuff go unpatched. Ultimately their customer experience is good if you want to pay what they are asking, which they can ask for because they're the only game in town.

Lets see how Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts turns out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lol they're launching on a friday with a system that relies on a human emailing people codes just to get a download link.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phi230 posted:

they have an enigma machine in their basement and there's a 60 year old grog just furiously typing codes as orders pile up on his desk

Oh man it would be maximum grognard and totally plausible for them to decide that using an actual enigma machine to generate codes is the perfect solution because it's hardware and therefore unhackable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I wonder how hard it is to get picked up by a publisher like Slitherine. I bet there are lots of good war games without shareware era DRM at reasonable prices that have slipped through the cracks of Steam greenlight and such.

Slitherine have no quality bar. It's part of why their business model was so consistently lovely to consumers for so long (good games were priced above bad games on the Slitherine list rather than competitively across the video game market in order to make them all competitive within the extremely niche grognard community).

A big part of their self-identity is as the guys who kept the flame of wargaming alive after the 90's collapse. It's why World In Flames was allowed to exist when any sane publisher would have seen the total lack of progress after 1/3/5 years and pull the plug.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

More than a few hundred sales over the game's lifetime is incomprehensible to them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hippocrass posted:

Which Graviteam game is the easiest for a newcomer to get a handle on?

They're all identical gameplay wise. Mius-Front is older than Tunisia but there's tons more content for it being pumped out so take your cues for which game Graviteam recommend.

e; Mius and Tunisia are on a newer engine than Op Star. Do wait until sales, Graviteam are cool dudes who regularly put their stuff up for anything from 50-85% off.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 28, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah John Tiller is in the 'windows 3.5 had all the UI anyone could ever need' category of grog dev and he has the array of command options hidden behind menus, but the most important combat mechanics are straight from tabletop 'roll d6 and pick the result' rules.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Don't worry everyone, you can have absolute faith in the reliability and security of our human based anti-piracy program.

Also no keys will be issued until further notice because the human in question has to take sick leave.

I just want to scream at them that the issue isn't piracy, it's that I'm not going to give money to a company that so obviously has zero business resilience.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We all know the most important part of a grog game is the trailer that's just a sequence of photos from WW2 with violins playing in the background.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Panzer Corps is a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame. Wargames can be on one end or the other of the simulationist/puzzle spectrum.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Decisive Campaigns LP Test Post: Feedback very much appreciated

Welcome to this Goon v Goon Multiplayer LP! Decisive Campaigns is a series of Wargames by Dutch designer Victor Reijkersz. If these screenshots look similar to an Advanced Tactics Gold! LP you've read, that's because that was his game as well! Decisive Campaigns takes that sandbox design and puts a layer of narrative over it to represent Campaigns from WW2.

In this LP BBJoey, Tekopo and Saros will be leading the German army against the Polish forces of Alikchi, uPen, and OTF.

Link to turn posts:

So what's the scenario? Cribbed from the manual:

What does this mean on the map?
The North: Two German Armies face off against three Polish Operational Groups. The Germans are concentrated and with armour, the Polish thinly spread and unable to form a continuous line. The Prussian Polish border is swampland protected by a series of forts, the western border region is good tank country but with a series of rivers and not many crossings.

The South: Three German armies face three Polish Operational Groups. 8th and 10th Army are set to drive through the land-bridge to Warsaw, while the Poles will have to scramble to withdraw in good order to form a blocking line on Lodz.

The Win Conditions:

Note, the Polish side is not expected to be actually able to defeat the German invasion. The objective for the Poles is to try to do better than historically. Each turn is two days. By the end of the time limit the Germans need to have either seized Warsaw and all cities west of it, or every city on the map except for Warsaw in order to win. If the Poles can inflict 10% or more attrition on the Germans then they win a moral victory.

On to the scenario!

Danzig is seized in the pre-turn actions! This is an automatic event. There are varients of this map where Danzig is held by a 4 division British Expeditionary Force that can threaten the German flanks, but for this time the players are playing vanilla.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

To me personally I don't think the non-map images are big enough that you need to timg them. I'm fine with clicking a map to zoom in and get a good look if I need to but the ones that are static text and stuff on a relatively fixed resolution might be fine to just leave normal for less clicking (especially since if you want to read those you'd pretty much have to expand them anyway, where as you can get the jist of a zoomed out map).

I went back and forth on this, I felt that if I had all the others as full images by default then the post gets pretty huge. Happy to take more opinions though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I am utterly unsurprised that the main difference between RTW 1 and 2 is the introduction of a mechanic that is bugged and unfun even when it works.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

dublish posted:

NWS really isn't a game developer. Someone needs to buy up the rights to RtW and give it the polish it deserves, or we can all just wait for Ultimate Admiral.

The rights are worthless and the video game industry is pretty clear that as long as you aren't dumb enough to literally copy and paste from someone else and change the name that you can get away with anything.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Polikarpov posted:

The AI is building pre-badnoughts send help.

That's almost literally https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Canopus_(1897)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Canopus has four 12" guns in two twin turrets, not two 10" guns in single turrets.

What I mean is that it's a model of a Battleship designed in the 1890's and what you'd expect to see in a game starting in 1900.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Early access :shrug:

People whine about your games being 'incomplete' because you have a design process that lets you iterate and replace entire gameplay systems with expansions, yet here we straight up have 'uh this isn't implemented yet, we were kinda hoping you somehow wouldn't notice'.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A 1929 biplane could barely carry enough ordinance to tickle a battleship. The advantage would be in scouting.

e: ^^ eh, the advances of the 30s and 40s happen because a very few specific companies developed some fantastic engines, and that would have happened war or not.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 20, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sum posted:

Not sure if anyone's posted this in here yet but Ultimate Admiral now has an actual website with a couple dev blogs on it. If this blog is to be believed they're not dumbing anything down from RTW. It's looking really good.

That's a copy-paste job of the Rule the Waves design spec with actual graphics next to it. Sweet.

e: dude you linked to the most boring of the blogs:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ultimate Admiral has subs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I asked in the discord but the channel's gone dead: a week or so on does anyone have any updated reflections on Uboat? How's the dev interaction with the early accessors?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Age of Sail is the one that's combining naval action with Napoleonic Amphibious operations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The key thing to note (and blow me down if this turns out not to be true) is that guns above 6" get a penalty to shoot at destroyers.

Fundamentally there are 3 classes of ship:
1) Screens (destroyers)
2) Things that shoot screens (light cruisers)
3) Things that shoot big ships

Your destroyers should be as big as you can make them. Light cruisers should have as many 6" guns as you can pack on them because that lets them shoot destroyers and gives them the advantage in LC vs LC matchups. You should aim to make them 2-3 knots minimum faster than your battleline, scaling upwards as tech progresses.

As far as the game is concerned a Battlecruiser is the same as a Cruiser. This matters because the wartime battle generator basically assumes that everyone is up for a fight between similar forces all the time (sensible for a game), but that means that if you have any CAs in a region they will be drawn constantly into fights with Fischer's monsters that will eat them up. Aim to replace CAs with BC's, sending your old ships to keep tonnage up in the colonies.

B's and BB's. A rule I've come to but never follow myself: always try to have 2 building at any one time. Yeah there's always new tech around the corner but that's always true - you can't crash build a battle fleet. You have three things to balance: firepower, protection, and speed. Generally it's pick 2 and sacrifice one. Always build big.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Saros posted:

If only someone had pointed out to them that manually processing thousands and thousands of refunds and codes was going to be time consuming.

Torn between giving people access to the product they paid for and giving people their money back.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Missed the codes, but I'm not going to begrudge a goon £2.50.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've got my fingers crossed for a pleasant TOAWIV discount in the steam summer sale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://www.gog.com/games?page=1&sort=popularity&search=combat%20missio&utm_campaign=20190605_combatmission_entw

Lol gently caress battlefront.

e: or rather good for them, they're credited as the publisher so they might be crumbling a little.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 5, 2019

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Squiggle posted:

Wow, Steve even fucks up getting his own game removed from a storefront so badly that they add two more games.

I can't believe the conversation went anything other than:

Gog.: We make X selling Combat Mission. Your cut would be Y. How much are you currently making?
Battlefront: ...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alikchi posted:

Who wants to do some CMBB/CMAK PBEM with the new GOG releases? I miss those drat games.

e: we need a goon tourney for this

Honestly those graphics are just a bit painful to try to deal with at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yooper posted:

It's not like Battlefront has to pay upfront money for shelf space or rent or something on a Steam listing. They've already sunk development costs into the product, you think they'd monetize on as many platforms as possible. The only way the argument works for them is assuming that a Steam sale is a lost Battlefront.com sale, hence they are giving away 30% of the pie. If they see it as zero sum, a sale at one is a loss at another, then the logic works. But if you bring in any new customers then their logic goes out the window. Now you expand the pie beyond a webstore and can leverage Steam.

The forum post cited has them saying they've calculated a need to double their sales in order for Steam to be worthwhile. Which... seems plausible.