Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Are we going to get a general purpose grog discord then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What did you expect from a casual game? It's not like this game is simulating U-Boat warfare at all, it's just candy-crush with a lick of u-boat grey paint and the cooks' blood in the corner of the galley.

Real U-boat nuts will disregard this game purely because the provisions officer looks like a pirate popeye kinda guy, and you can pickup sauerkraut from the boxes of the freighters you have sunk with you 20mm AA gun. Brilliant.

This game / simulation of uboot warfare will ONLY apply to casual gamers, people who are interested in end-round attacks, relative bearings, plotting and not running around the u-boat like a headless chicken need not apply, after all the consensus is that there is no place for sub-nuts here only Legends and World of warships warriors are permitted to their casual candy crush simulator.

The irony posting is reaching such a peak I can't even tell anymore.

Is uboat good or not?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's the default recommendation.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'd be very surprised if we don't end up needing a RTW2 thread but I suppose we might as well wait and see.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

so... do you think rtw2 is gonna be good

i find it disconcerting none of the dev diaries have been with majors like us or uk. I want to see a battle with more than 3 carriers involved.

Uhh, MODS?!?!!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's no way I'm not going to buy it, if it really turns out to be that much of a pain then maybe I'll pirate it too, but I suspect it won't be that much of an issue.

If they don't let you have 2 simultaneous installs though then I'm definitely pirating it for my laptop.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I mean honestly there isn't really a hoop wouldn't jump through to play this game but I still wish they wouldn't do this.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
lol, so what does he want us to do, go onto 4chan and post about how evil pirates are?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well at the very least I trust them to deliver on basic common sense. Whether or not they actually manage to make a good game is another matter of course.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I hope this means you will be doing 3d renders of every ship in the LP.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think that just comes with the territory of being a socially clueless nerd.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well obviously they don't want a 4th party then, that would just be silly.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
WitP?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
https://discord.gg/DFDVxmu

Whats wrong with this server?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Vando posted:

No issue with Yahoo as a service (wait, a third party service?!) but if they're doing a thing where they're emailing out codes manually they're surely keeping some personal info locally accessible, no?

I don't think so, if I was them and was stupid enough to go down this whole path in the first place I'd just match yahoo confirmation codes to an email and then send the key to that email.

So yes they're storing your email but lol if you think your email address isn't all over the internet.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well looks like my WitP opponent is going to concede so who wants to fight me in boats?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MrYenko posted:

...Said the spider to the fly...

If it helps this time I Midway'd the entire US carrier command on the 9th of February, in our game it took me until the 10th to deliver the blow.

One day I will get to play with Yamato. :saddowns:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There's a graviteam expansion isn't there? Can't remember we for which game though

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How many years did that take? :laffo:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
1400nm west of Cornwall is only 550nm NW of the Azores and 800nm ESE of Newfoundland though.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't know much about the battle of the Atlantic but I don't see why not?

No, according to google Britain didn't ask for bases in the Azores until August 43. It's still technically feasible from Newfoundland though, albeit catastrophically unlucky on your part. Although far more likely to just be unintended behaviour I know.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Speaking of taping out I really hope the new Aurora lets you resurvey. One survey and done is like saying the first time humans dug up some copper means that for ever on the only mining that could be done was surface mining of copper.

Planets really need to have hidden deposit values, and surveying can reveal up to but never over said value, with better technology and skill giving higher returns. Otherwise you end up with this deeply stupid trade off or putting of surveying potentially good things until you've skilled up on a bunch of poo poo things first. This just makes no sense in any real world context and is a plague on 4Xs in general I think. Launch Stellaris for example was particularly egregious with this, you really wanted those nice anomalies but you really didn't want to waste them, so you would send your scientists off to level on a bunch of boring lovely ones first before coming back to explore the good ones.

For hilarity you could have the possibility of false returns over the real value that then collapse once you've mined for a while.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Phi230 posted:

10 days till rule the waves and the hype seems to have died in here lol

It mostly moved to the discord.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Probably neither yet.

I sucumed to wolfpack temptation last night and between the jank, performance issues and bizarre design decisions I couldn't finish the first tutorial. Save your money.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Sounds like something a pirate would say to me.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
poo poo wait I meant uboat. Wolfpack is probably cool but like you say really needs friends.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out it even was Italy.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's true and all but UoC is barely a grog game really I think. It's a puzzle game dressed up as a wargame, which swings a little too far to the simplification side for my tastes. You can absolutely put yourself in a no win situation despite following the "rules" of stacking attacks just by getting unlucky on a die roll, with no way to recover. Which isn't to say that doesn't reflect reality necessarily, but I like to be more complicit in my own downfall than losing a die roll.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

sum posted:

I'm a firm believer that wargames should be heavy on the RNG. Unexpected stupid poo poo that dramatically alters plans is a common theme in military history. I guess that's not the most fun from a gameplay aspect but I think it's a very important part of the simulaton.

But you can't really say that it's part of the simulation in UoC since UoC isn't a simulation like that. I also like heavy FoW and the opportunity for your best laid plans to go haywire, but like Mr Yenko said it should be an organic part of the game that requires you to actively gently caress up, not just to roll a 1 on a d100, and likewise unless you repeatedly gently caress up there should be a potential recovery.

UoCs focused scenarios in time and space combined with the total reliance on RNG for combat makes for a perfect storm for this kind of frustration, so the answer is simply the game isn't for me. Weirdly I find it far less frustrating to loose in a large/grand campaign style game like DC:B or WitP where my initial gently caress up could be months in the past before it become clear, despite the fact that I would therefore have been playing an "unwinnable" scenario for quite a while without even realising it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I agree with Zaodai, and its a ss lp of a map game, of course the post is going to get huge but what of it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Since they are there on turn 1 I suppose the assumption is they were already moved before war was declared.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I can't believe I'm saying this but I might actually hold off on this.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The Roman Empire never collapsed I see.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What I really would like them to do but I appreciate would be really hard is reflect the effect of being at war on plane iteration. It's not like the advances of the 40s were prestined to happen then, they happened because of ww2.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Alchenar posted:

A 1929 biplane could barely carry enough ordinance to tickle a battleship. The advantage would be in scouting.

e: ^^ eh, the advances of the 30s and 40s happen because a very few specific companies developed some fantastic engines, and that would have happened war or not.

Of course it would have happened, but the war provided massive pressure to do so and the resources to do it with. It would have happened anyway but it's no coincidence those advances occurred during the war.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Popete posted:

NWS is just a front for Russian money laundering isn't it?

I can't see Russian mafia being patient enough to put up with this poo poo.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Yes.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Is the 2” thing still in RTW2? I remember reading repeatedly about RTW that armor <2” was essentially wasted for some obscure mathematical reason. Still true?

2" Protects from all splinters, even from the biggest guns. Less than 2 will still protect from splinters from smaller guns presumably though. 2" DE is nice because the DE iirc protects the uptakes, and splinters perforate uptakes is one of the commonest ways to loose speed and get torpedo ganked.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
And a pretty light shell by BB standards at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

Do you suppose he thinks it's an acronym, or do you think he's just SCREAMING it

Stupid Terrible Enterprise Acquiring (my) Money