Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Armageddon is great, and you really get attached to your units by the end. I still remember some of the crazy poo poo that was held back by my imperial guardsmen while the Space Marines and tanks took objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for reminding me of Barbarossa to Berlin, I still have it on a cd somewhere. I'm probably old enough to actually play it properly now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

From last thread:

Given how much Steam fucks with discoverability for small indies these days, I am not sure I disagree with them. Having the larger install base is useless if no one actually sees your game.

There is no excuse not to be on itch.io though.

No arguments that Steam is broken, but isn't some limited exposure better than absolutely zero exposure? Why not have the game available on every platform? It's not like releasing the game on steam will prevent them from selling the game as they currently do. Even if they dislike steam, there are plenty of other options like GoG, itch, or even Paradox. I only found out about the game through people talking about it in the previous thread. I imagine being able to find it by searching through the "naval" or ww1/2 tags on steam would provide some decent exposure.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If I had you on Steam I would've bought you a copy of that Tank Dating is with a "Too Late"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, with RTW2 less than a week to go, and with a new thread, I think we should remind people of some ground rules.

1) No spoilers - I'll never forget the time that poor goon had the ending of WITE spoiled. "but how was I supposed to know Germany lost!" he cried. no one wants to have the ending spoiled - we want that end game cut scene to be meaningful.
2) No anime fan art. - Battleships are sexy beasts, do not demean them by drawing them as grossly disproportioned girls.
3) No Slash fics. - That Warspite/Enterprise thing will haunt us until the rest of our days.

Thanks!

What the gently caress? I've spent hours working on my shipping fanime. Where else am I supposed to post this poo poo then? Reddit?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Imaginary Baron posted:

Might be the first time to grab Armored Brigade on sale.

Of course this would happen a few days after I purchase it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What's your take on a good WW1 strategic game? Is Commander: The Great War decent?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh man I didn't know about the garbage DRM. who cares how many computers I have it installed on? And you need permission to reinstall it? I may pass on RTW2.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

I will never understand why they are so anti 3rd party, It's not like they will lose their IP

Because I worked hard making this and if someone who didn't work on the game gets a cut, it's exactly the same as piracy. You are stealing food from my plate. I would make more money selling the game on a website from the '80s to 5 people than I would selling it to potentially hundreds of thousands of people on steam. Because Steam's cut would mean 0 dollars for me, it's just a modern form of piracy, you see.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

It’s not perfect, but it’s super solid, and I think it’s worth the $40. It’s also brazenly clear that Paradox intends about a gajillion DLC packs...

:homebrew:

Joke's on them, Rome is already playable, I ain't gonna buy dlc for some bumblefuck barbarian tribes in the middle of nowhere.

I'm only half-joking too, the only dlc that would interest me is stuff that fleshes Rome out more.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
FTL but with U-boats looks like great fun.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

UBOAT is out in Early Access on Steam. $29.99 but it's %15 off right now.

I'm always at work when poo poo I'm interested in comes out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get home from work eventually and I'm going to buy U-boat and I'm gonna like it, you jerks.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Uboat is very much traditionally Early Access, and all the criticism that has been posted so far is accurate. However, it's looking great so far and has the potential to be the WW2 sub game I've always wanted. Still very positive on it, but don't buy it yet if you're looking for something to play right now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

I actually feel bad for that guy. It seems like he made a well meaning but poorly informed decision and has realized the error of his ways but they've got him by the balls and now he'll never escape.

Why doesn't the dev do a rebranding/asset flip of his own game? Just release a "new" game on steam with a different name that happens to play exactly the same as this other game he made? Sure he might lose some of that brand recognition, but let's be honest, it's a grog game there isn't much to begin with.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish the map could be modified, cause my dream mod for RtW (1 or 2) is swapping Earth for Strangereal.

Can you hear me, company with the three grogs?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to play RTW2, and by that I mean Rome Total War 2

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just when I was ever so slightly waffling on whether to buy or not... Thanks for reminding me why I chose not to buy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Geoff posted:

2BKGYWZG5JDEPFV01Q[four]PNAD

Thanks a lot. Grabbed this one, will let you know how it is when I have some time to play later today.

Lol I just played one turn and sunk the Yamato and 2 CVs. No serious losses in return.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 3, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Devs at Battlefront have commented a bit on the CM1.0 release. Looks like a pseudo test for digital release on other platforms though they seem suspicious of meeting sales requirements. I'm not sure how the doubling of sales argument comes up. Isn't it like $100 to sell on Steam? So they sell a handful of games and they're in the black, it's not like the games haven't been developed yet.

I wonder if they are calculating it as if the game has been freshly developed and are testing to see if they could break even? It's a stupid thing to do, but I think they are using their old games to see if newly released titles will be fiscally viable on other stores? It doesn't make much sense, but then again I have yet to see a grog dev that does.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
So I did something naughty and bought Barbarossa to Berlin from GOG and, graphics and controls aside, it's a really loving good wargame. Better than I remember it being, especially now that I'm not a dumb teenager who has no idea how to play. One thing though, I could have sworn there were decals for armor hits and penetrations. Maybe it was added in by a mod or something but I swear I remember being able to see where a shell hit and penetrated on the tank. Does anyone else remember this, or am I misconstruing BB with men of war or something?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

I know the newer CM titles have a mod for hit decals.

Maybe here ? http://cmmods.com/

Holy poo poo, they preserved all the mods from 18 years ago. Wow, that's seriously amazing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Slowly but surely starting to make some new nations for Armored Brigade. Starting with Egypt and Israel (mainly because Egypt was nation #1 in SPMBT Mobhack where I'm grabbing a lot of data from). I'm also expanding things from 1950-1995 instead of the base 65-91. Making units themselves is actually extremely quick, but cranking out ammunition, and making the formations and assigning them to nations is a real pain in the rear end. Each slight variation in ammo type or optics is an entirely new unit. Hell, since accuracy is assigned based on ammunition a gun getting a different rangefinder means three or four new ammo types need to be made even if it's the same shell.

I'm going to have to skip over some stuff for Israel. SPBMT has like eleven variations of the Magach 6 for example, and there's no way in hell I'm making 33 formations (Platoon, Company, HQ) and like 40 ammo types just for one variant of a Patton.

Nice, it would be great to fight out some 6-day war scenarios. You can skimp on the Pattons so long as you get all the Merkavas, we need as many sexy MBTs as we can get.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Anyone got any good guides for combat mission? specifically Black Sea, getting slightly annoyed at 2 man teams killing an entire section. .

I too would like to know why my soldiers spray randomly in the vague direction of the enemy while their soldiers seem to calmly headshot my guys one by one.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Unimpressed posted:

It's because you're a loving idiot if you don't agree you need to spend 300 hours testing various options and documenting them before I call you a loving idiot again and maybe fix the problem two years later you loving idiot.

Signed: Steve from battlefront.

W-what if I buy another module? W-would that fix it?

Also how does spotting work? Why can't my APC commander see the BMP that's literally 15 meters in front him, in the open. Also he's unbuttoned and staring at it. I went down to eye level and it literally takes up 3/4 of his view. Like he would have to put more effort in to not seeing it. Hell, he could probably smell the vodka and hear the crew singing Kalinka over the engine noise at that distance.

And why is there a voice in the Bradley's engine sound recording?

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 19, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I would suggest backing off a bit. 15 meters is way, way too close. Weird things tend to happen when units are extremely close to each other like that. Since the game doesn't model gun elevations and tanks can do things like fire at the upper floors of a tall building at point blank range, they compensated for it by making it take an extremely long time to acquire targets at close range. This allows infantry to do things like rush a tank and knock it out with grenades or satchel charges without the tank being able to do anything about it, since the tank would not be able to lower its gun far enough or even see the infantry next to it. Some weapons also have minimum ranges as well. So weird things happen at close range but 99% of the time you would never notice because engagement ranges are normally measured in hundreds or thousands of meters.

This was on the shock force mission where you have to defend a castle from an attack, so I had an ifv with a 20mm gun waiting behind a building to shoot at anything that drove past. A BMP drove right in front of my ifv and sat there for a good minute and a half before it spotted my weasel and popped it.

My weasel sat there for a minute doing nothing, then I unbuttoned the commander, who sat there for 30 seconds before blowing up. My ifv also knew it was there due to radio coms, but couldn't actually see it.

Good tips though, I'll keep that in mind next time.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm still in two minds about buying CM:SF2 I love the idea of a modern CC with British forces as it's incredibly rare to get a game depicting the British by God drat it can be frustrating and rewarding in the same same 60 second turn.

I know it's purely anecdotal, but every British mission I played, they at least managed to spot their targets and shoot at them, unlike some of the other NATO forces...

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

I prefer Black Sea to SF, playing the overwhelming force side of asymmetrical is a kind of fun that doesn’t last very long for me.

You can totally play US vs Britain or Germany. In a sense, BS is more unbalanced because the US will always have tactical firepower superiority over the Russians. In SF, you can have relatively equal matchups with the Syrians too because they get T-90s at the top end while the Abrams variants aren't quite as advanced as in BS.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
One thing that's really interesting with SF is that you can simulate what's currently going on with the Syrian Government forces vs Rebels/Insurgents. I think it's pretty much the only game that covers the ongoing conflict.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For FOG: Empires, if you want the tactical battles, is the base FOG 2 sufficient, or do you need the DLC's as well?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Also Pike and Shot Campaigns, or Field of Glory II?

I've got Pike and Shot and, if you like the time period, it's quite good. FOG 2 has the bonus benefit of being compatible with the new strategic game that's coming out next month.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I refunded after 15 minutes. Sorry but in TYOOL 2019 you need to accept that people may have bought a monitor with a standard native resolution sometime in the last 10 years and make sure your software can scale to it.

Decisive Campaigns does it, CMANO does it, you can cludge it and make everything a little blurry if you need to, but no excuses for not doing it at all.

Are we talking "can't scale to 1440p / 4k" or "can't scale to 1080p"?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

I was wondering though what exactly is the integration with the forthcoming FOG: Empires that people keep mentioning.

Empires is kind of like a paradox grand strategy game and if you have fog2 you can fight the battles instead of having them resolved with dice rolls a la Eu4/imperator.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Just got my RTW2 $5 refund.

Forget Epic, Steam has a new competitor to watch out for.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

I don't think so.

I believe GOG connect doesn't allow you to link DLC across the platforms.

This is because GOG use's your steam profile to see what you own, but your profile doesn't show the DLC for games you own.

The only thing I can suggest is, if you want to give the developers money.

Link your accounts, you're get a free copy of the main game on GOG, then buy the DLC you really want.

Gog connect is also time-limited, it's best to subscribe to their steam group so you get a notification when something is added.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

They seem to be making nice progress. It's actually in a pretty playable state right now. Just managed to successfully sink my first convoy with a salvo. Not bad.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I kinda wish you could pick a different start date though.

My favorite thing in Silent Hunter 3 was starting in 1939 and trying to survive as long as possible in a Type II sub.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Was there any way to make the Kiel canal run less time consuming/frustrating? I know there is the preset waypoint option but the time compression stops every ten seconds because of airplanes, other shipping traffic, etc. I love the game but the dead time between hunts, especially in the Kiel canal always took the wind out if my sails. I really want to try a IIc campaign.

I played with lots of mods and I think one of them let you transfer to other ports. So I just sailed from Wilhelmshaven and later from France.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

I did in fact mean the rather more graphically intense 2016 Doom.

I use Dwarf Fortress as a metric when judging performance. Yes, I am eagerly awaiting the release of a 64-core threadripper cpu, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a bone in this fight, but I think it's safe to say that most small teams can make a map that doesn't lag.