Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To start this thread strong with some good content, here's my tutorial for learning how to play War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13lO9iGwOxQGE60SDnzncx6MJzXlJu8an

and here's my tutorial for learning how to play War in the East:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YNjoPLCe3X75-mKAl124L24f4ZKVnjfq

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Perestroika posted:

That list in the OP actually makes me wonder: Is there much of a market for non-historical grognard games? Sure, one of the draws is going all-in on the history and trying various alt-history scenarios. But at the same time, something like e.g. Combat Mission with (meticulously simulated) laser cannons sounds like it cold be pretty rad.

Ground Control was kind of like this. as was Empire of the Fading Suns. and Star General. and I think some of the Warhammer games are based on the Panzer Corps engine?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Counterpoint: I want a logistics sim. Is there the OpenTTD of military grog?

Vietnam 65 and Afghanistan 11 are it

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to file a complaint with Vietnam '65 and how it's less about the conflict and more about flying choppers around to deliver crates to soldiers. I want to enjoy it but it's a logicistics simulator first and foremost, not what I want.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/SquadBattles/Vietnam.html

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
say what you will about John Tiller using a shopify storefront, but you do get the keys immediately and can download the installers seamlessly

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Strategic Command World at War have smaller scenarios, or would I have to get Strategic Command War in Europe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
post the RTW2 stuff here you cowards. Nobody's going to mind a rush of one-game posting when the whole thread's excited for it

Mode 7 posted:

What are my options for Ancient-era grog?

Field of Glory 2 and Alea Jacta Est

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

"Enter the first word in the second paragraph on page 23"

not gonna lie if the copy protection was this I'd buy it even harder

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

Steam is subscription based? Huh. That's new to me.

every year around Christmas I re-up my Steam addicsubscription and Valve extracts dollars from me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A modern sequel to Achtung Spitfire and Over the Reich would be swell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

Annnd we're getting a little close to :files: here.

Pull up thread, pull up.

discord server when

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stairmaster posted:

Is there like a sports analogy for last minute gently caress ups of this magnitude

"not campaigning in Wisconsin"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tythas posted:

anyone got a list of good naval games. so far I have Rule the Waves, Battlestations Midway/Pacific, Distant guns, Victory at sea. What else should I add to my list?

all of the Silent Hunters, except maybe 2
Silent Service 2
that whole Sonalysts line between 688(i) Hunter Killer, Dangerous Waters, and Sub Command
Task Force 1942
Carriers at War (from Matrix Games)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

Had anyone tried John Tiller's naval games? I'm morbidly curious.

I did, many years ago, and my general opinion is that they're very rough, bordering on bad:

the main strike against them is that the damage system is way too coarse: a ship takes a hit, and its health goes down a little, and it'll slow down a little, or something it'll be a critical hit and the whole ship just explodes instantly.

and then then gunnery is pretty much completely AI-driven, but then torpedoes have to be aimed and shot manually

movement is also micromanagement-heavy because there's no way to set waypoints - you can set a course and you can set a speed, but there's no way to tell a ship to start turning once it gets to this particular point on the map

the one good thing about it is that flotillas/squadrons/fleets are linked together, so you only need to issue orders to the lead ships of a formation, and that combined with the gunnery automation does make it play at a fairly high level, which would be required if you're doing something like the full Jutland, but when I tried to do an LP of it way back when there just wasn't enough feedback in the game to really explain to an audience what was going on, and that reflects back to the player as well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

I haven’t been following whatever the DRM issue is at all and was planning to emulate RTW2 using Wine, which is what I did for the first one. Is there some reason that won’t work?

have you run any other grog games using Wine? I've recently dipped my toe into Linux

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Wasn’t there some Jutland game like ten years ago that required an always on internet connection for DRM?

Didn’t that flop terribly?

Storm Eagle Studios developed a 3D Jutland game and distributed it through their proprietary "Stormpowered" digital distribution platform, which was basically a Steam knock-off.

The game itself wasn't really that bad, and Stormpowered itself hosted a bunch of other grog games so it wasn't purely for the studio's own use, and I never found their DRM to be particularly intrusive, but it was probably too niche?

Like, the reason you want to go on Steam is because you have an install base of customers who will be exposed to your product that might not be otherwise, but making your own Steam isn't at all the same thing even if you cloned it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

UBOAT is out in Early Access on Steam. $29.99 but it's %15 off right now.

fuckin' bought. Let's do this.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
UBOAT trip report: it won't run on my potato of a computer

time to upgrade, I guess

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

Is John Tiller as bad as Gary Grigsby on the "excessive detail breaks high level modeling" issue?

Nope! You're playing at the scale where the detail makes sense, so it doesn't break the game.

And, given the scale, the amount of detail isn't even excessive. It's almost boardgame-like in its mechanical modeling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Once again taking this opportunity to plug our John Tiller LP's:

My Civil War Battles LP just wrapped up its third battle, and is currently on hiatus while I write-up the historical background for the next one.

My Panzer Campaigns LP did its first battle as a completely introductory test to get you comfortable with the UI and the game mechanics, and is currently in the middle of a Soviet counterattack scenario.

Hypnobeard's excellent First World War Campaigns LP is set during the Great War, is almost done with its third battle, and is gearing up for the main event.

AceRimmer posted:

Makes every scenario over a certain size completely unplayable, as does the lack of pathfinding for your units. Ridiculous to have to click on every drat hex a unit is going to move to, particularly in scenarios with long roads. (and before someone says it, I tried the AI formation movement too, it's loving terrible as well)

You can select a unit, then click-and-drag from the unit's current hex, to the destination hex, and the AI will try to move to where you designated.

It usually works well, and once you know that it works for one unit, you can do it for everyone else on the same path.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

In general how well was Operational Art of War IV received?

It kinda landed with a dull thud: a lot of the changes were to the UI and to the backstage combat mechanics, which you wouldn't really know or see unless you had already grasped the game itself, and a lot of the scenarios are either just direct ports from the older games, or are new scenarios but don't have programmed AI.

To the developer's credit, TOAW4 is a significant upgrade from TOAW3, and taking the average of combat lengths + showing the direct combat odds + compressing unit stats into a generic "health" stat moves the "ease of use" needle significantly towards a game where you can push the counters around without having to get into the nitty-gritty of it all.

It's a good game, and I like it, but I think it just flew under a lot of people's radar, both because it wasn't marketed very heavily, and also because it still looks like it's a complicated game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks! I already have 3, but I was interested in giving 4 a try if it was improved.

This is where I came from, and I'd definitely recommend giving 4 a shot.

Here's a link to a tutorial I wrote for it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

Is WitE 2 an updated version of WitE but with WitW's supply and air power system added to it, or is there more?

I'm pretty sure it's going to at least use the WITW map, because that was the entire point of making a map and writing a weather system that covered an area well beyond what you would need just for the Western Front.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hammerstein posted:

Will this be the full Euro map they talked about some years ago on the Matrix forums?

Their long-term goal being to have one big map from France to the Urals.

The full euro map already exists in WITW - it's just locked to only show the pertinent parts. Presumably WITE 2 would do a similar thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dimitris posted:

Stick around.

oh my god :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You can't have historical plausibility AND scenario variants where the Polish player isn't just a punching bag for the Germans

Just roll with it. Otherwise we'd also be questioning why WTP also has a Sealion scenario

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SerthVarnee posted:

So i got to thinking about wolfpack and the silent hunter series and i realized that the part i enjoyed the most (if i actually stood a chance) was using the deck gun.
Basically i keep wishing i could play the same sort of game, just with a surface warship instead of a sub.

I used to play with Silent Hunter 4 mods that gave you control of the French Surcouf and its ridiculous cruiser-sized guns, as well as extreme versions of the mod that just straight let you control a North Carolina-class battleship. You obviously couldn't submerge, but you did pack a lot of firepower with the main guns slaved to the deck gun interface.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
while I'm sure that the game is far more playable than World in Flames, it's very funny to me that buying and installing and running WiF is probably far less of a hassle

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

I'm gonna play World in Flames and cackle with delight at how good it is in comparison

:drat:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

There needs to be plane production or something because infinite planes is not cool imo

hey if it's good enough for WITP...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
extremely hype for being able to buy Ultimate Admiral from a working storefront

they should do a dev diary on that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Polygon has an article up on the beta testing for Close Combat: The Bloody First

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/30/18644763/close-combat-bloody-first-pc-preview

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

Are Close Combat 3 and 4 any good? I notice they're on GOG for $3 each and am tempted to pick em up unless they really suck, I've only ever played CC1, CC2, and the CC2 remake.

3 is worth picking up for the Eastern Front setting, 4 is more of the same of 2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

I refunded after 15 minutes. Sorry but in TYOOL 2019 you need to accept that people may have bought a monitor with a standard native resolution sometime in the last 10 years and make sure your software can scale to it.

Decisive Campaigns does it, CMANO does it, you can cludge it and make everything a little blurry if you need to, but no excuses for not doing it at all.

This is low-key one of my huge hang-ups with WITE because it won't scale properly to 1366x768

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

- Remove industry from both sides
- Institute Vic's Political Points game from DC:B
- However many pulses a day you want, but a skill check requiring maximum of 2 sorties per day for naval aviation
- Week long turns but run day by day

My WitP concept is that the player is solely concerned with forming TF's and invasion fleets and sending them on missions. You are a strategic/operational level commander and play at that level. You don't micromanage. The game is about placing bets on where to position your forces and what missions to send them on. I say 1 week turns but they should include interrupt chances where you can lay Midway style ambushes where you wait for the enemy fleet to show up and get a chance to issue final orders to designated TF a day or two before the detected enemy arrive.

Gary Grigsby's Pacific War is much closer to this ideal than WITP is, but the interface is even more obtuse and unwieldy and tedious.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From the perspective of "you're not supposed to have particularly fine control of the ground war, you're supposed to just throw 3:1 or better troops at anything you want to conquer, and the real meat is wrecking enemy logistics and maintaining numerical superiority", does WITP even succeed at conveying that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there anything that I should look out for in getting CMANO to start? I keep crashing at the splash screen

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is there any grog game that's comparable to Flight Commander 2?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
at some point the ideal way to run CM will be to virtualize an early 2000s machine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that sounds like Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shadow Watch from Red Storm Entertainment?