Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Takanago posted:

I love the Koei ROTK games but compared to other strategy games they can be kinda shallow. 11 is the best one from a strategy perspective, and 13 is the best rpg imo. (Though 13 definitely has its flaws) Total War is probably the best actual ROTK strategy game.

It's not ROTK but Koei's Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence was very good and I think captured Koei's strengths the best out of all of their games.

I played Sphere of Influence for a while and enjoyed it, but all of a sudden I had more cities than characters and the game didn't seem to want to allow me to recruit any more. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

dtkozl posted:

it is 100% better than imperator. that game was dog poo poo

I've been playing the 1.2 beta and it's good now.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
posted fappening images in c-spam :rip:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=low0mGLeT2I

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
How do you control your ships in-battle?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Do you have any fine control of the weapons?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
lol come again, coleman?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
On one hand, the highway of death was an all-out massacre of fleeing enemy troops.

On the other hand, the entirety of military tactics from prehistory to now are built on trying to do this.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Yooper posted:

You could post in the #1trafficked thread on the Matrix Forums..

Or maybe you'd like to discuss Neville Chamberlain?

Or go complain about the new lovely web layout, and Steams changes too.

Or maybe some Gender studies?

is this a syllogism

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I think you could do good work with a 40k grog game that included both naval and land combat, but you’d need to set up the supply system in such a way that the answer to every problem wasn’t “take the space around a planet and wait for the defenders to wither”

40k is just a large scale space opera and doesn't make any sense if you're analyzing it as a war

space marine chapters of 1,000 strong guys with big machine guns can take over planets with populations of billions. it's completely ridiculous

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

War in the Pacific AE 80% off for you schlubs who don't have it.

Wow, how much of a discount do I get for them to kick me in the dick?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

fuf posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1021100/Aircraft_Carrier_Survival/

this upcoming game looks a bit janky but I've been kind of vaguely fantasising about a game like this since I was a kid.

Looking forward to the big boss fight against John McCain

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah I didn't really understand fatigue so I took Moscow and Leningrad in 41 but then found my center completely unable to take Kiev and was basically a huge stretched out bunch of depleted worthless units.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Abongination posted:

I still prefer take command over scourge of war.

But in the end I always go back to heavily modified Napoleon Total War to get my musket age fix.

I was thinking about doing the same again soon. What mods do you use?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Neophyte posted:

I heard there should be a patch in a day or so for the worst of the bugs so people may want to wait a bit

evergreen post

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

AARP LARPer posted:

There is a certain vibe around here that unless you’re playing a game that requires spreadsheets, you’re doing it wrong and can’t possibly be having fun because “fun” involves some strange correlation with perfection.

I think that's kind of a disingenuous read of "a game that gives you set units to solve a set map in X turns for an S rating is more of a puzzle game than a strategy game."

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
generally it's more of an increasing lend/lease deal and maybe a blockade at the higher levels

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Any news on any good ancient era games since Field of Glory: Empires?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
if i'm paying grognard prices i expect an emotional hitler

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I wish I understood when and how to rest and refit in Barbarossa.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
what the gently caress is that narration :psyduck:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Field of Glory 2: Medieval just came out.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

AGEOD's Alea Jacta Est

reported for encouraging self-harm

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm just a layman but i have to imagine they tested the penetration capabilities of any CAS weapons prior to deployment.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Abongination posted:

I had fun with age of sail.

They finally added an option to stop the enemy forces scaling automatically to always have a numbers advantage over your fleet.

Got a bit crazy in the end when the French would have lik4 three 120 gun and five 90 gun 1st rates.

Also mid battle saves for those insanely large fleet battles.

Oh wow that removes the big obstacle I've had to purchasing this. I couldn't stand the scaling in Civil War.

e: I bought it and don't understand how to put cannons on a ship after I buy it from the harbor. I have plenty of money but when I click on the cannons for a ship all the options are greyed out.

Flavius Aetass fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 8, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Thoroughly disappointed in UA: Age of Sail. Every mission ups the ante like I'm playing Ace Combat.

How hard is it to make an open world game like Pirates! where I get to pick the engagements but without all the bullshit?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Even with the scaling turned off their levels are built that way.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I generally play as the CSA because I enjoy quality over quantity play and despite how silly that is historically it's how a lot of games are balanced.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
That Starship Troopers game looks like total dogshit.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Huh? Did he die? For real?

Yeah apparently. Bummer.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Yep someone on facebook linked his obituary, short rapid battle with brain cancer apparently :(

more of a shock attack than a deliberate attack

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god :(

RIP to a real one

You should do another LP in his honor if you have the time.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
why don't they just make sanctus reach 2 or something

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Popete posted:

"addressing primarily the attractive 30+ male audience."

:thunk:

well I'm at least 30+ male

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

is field of glory ii a marked improvement over pike and shot & sengoku jidai?

Yes, there's just a huge variety of armies and periods available, especially with DLC and mods. It's still using the same basic rules as the other games, but they manage enough variance in unit type that playing say, Triumvirate era Rome is wildly different than the late Empire, to say nothing of how Huns or Germans play. It's good and you should get it.

I also like the medieval standalone that came out recently but you can put that off until there's some DLC available.