Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zaodai posted:

I don't know if it's groggy enough to qualify for this thread, since it's not economic and grand strategy in scale but I figure if Combat Mission and stuff counts it might interest some of you. This just recently went up on steam as a TBA and frankly looks pretty cool to me as tactical space combat stuff goes:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

This looks really cool, especially all the stuff they have about radar-jamming and intelligence wars within the battles. Def gonna be keeping an eye on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The guy signing all his posts with "Sincerely, Dave".

the dudes on model train forums also do this a post will look like

Dear Kvlt!

(Train info here)

THANK YOU,
-BILL

and then he'll have a signature under every post that's the text from his business card. It's totally harmless and they're generally really nice dudes who are wicked helpful but drat their lingo makes me laugh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I cant speak for the other games but Shadow Empire has become my favorite game so if the bundle doesnt interest you id snag that individually at least

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i googled Waranoi and literally cannot find a single scrap of info. Does it exist?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yooper posted:

I think the real battle here is my spelling ability. Waronoi.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1444550/Waronoi/

This looks wicked cool actually

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the trailer makes it look real time is it an RTS or RTWP?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Can someone tell my why I should drop $106.99 on WitE2? Because the devs sure haven't bothered trying.

dont you wanna find out what happens after the events of war in the east 1?!?!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i actually want to buy WiTE2 because i never played 1 but Shadow Empire is grog-lite and kicks my rear end with its complexity i feel like id need to take a 4 year degree to learn how to play WiTE as much as I want to

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Instead of buying WitE2 I pulled the trigger on Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa. This'll be my second grog game after Shadow Empire (which you all made me feel like a real grogger (is that a word?) which I appreciate!) unless you count Panzer Corps Gold, so I'm pretty excited to dive in.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Historical vs. Ahistorical arent mutually exclusive its wicked easy to allow simulation players and "Just wanna play a video game" players in the same game

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I wanna play WiTP but I can't get it on Steam or the Matrix store. Is there a modern grog pacific theater equivalent? Is it War on the Sea?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you! On the store I was looking up just the regular version which they don't let you buy, but they let you buy the admiral's edition!

Now I have DC:B for the Eastern Front, WitP for the Pacific theater, and I think I'll eventually pick up Hearts of Iron IV to focus on the Western Front.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drone posted:

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is just not the same :toot:

(I still really like HOI4 though.)

Yeah I know HoI isn't a grog game but I have a lot of grog games to keep me busy for now and really like Crusader Kings so I figured I'd give another Paradox game a shot. I'll probably hold off on buying it though since I just bought War in the Pacific and that'll keep me busy for quite some time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does it ever go on sale?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sounds like Ill wait and catch it on sale while I dive into WitP

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

You want to add the flowing command line switches for win10: -dd_sw -deepcolor -altfont.

-skipvideo is another good one, and of course -w -px* -py*

Chemkid is my go to map mod but there are others. I think chemkid for unknown reasons scrubbed all his work off the matrix forums, so let me know if you want me to host it somewhere.

As someone who has literally never written a line of code and knows nothing about how to do that first step, could I get an idiot guide to fixing the windows 10 lag please

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 13, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you so much!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nipperi posted:

Thank you all! I’m geeking out on PTO after reading Shattered Sword and listening to Dan Carlin’s Supernova in the East -series, and since War On the Sea seems disappointing I have no choice but to try and get into WitPAE once again. Maybe this time...

Thanks for the Shattered Sword rec, I have a long flight coming up and just ordered a copy. Between that and playing WitP im gonna be in armchair general bliss for 8 hours.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

I absolutely loved "Morning Star, Midnight Sun" and "Blazing Star, Setting Sun" by Jeffrey Cox. They are to the Guadalcanal campaign as Shattered Sword is to Midway. In-depth, lively, and deeply critical of the Mk14 torpedo. Just as all PacWar histories should be.

Okay, here is a fairly concise guide to installing WitP:AE from scratch and using a small 3rd party utility to configure the shortcuts. Check it out and feel free to hit me up with questions. Happy to help. cdouglasn (at) gmail. Note that it may take some tweaking to find the right parameters for your shortcut using the SeaBees applet. If you find that your game is still doing something weird, delete the WitP shortcut on your desktop, experiment with some of the options in SeaBees, and build a new shortcut.

Like I said, hit me up with questions.

Consolidated WitP Installation Guide
v1.0
4/13/21

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dl--VOcP8GYMUOXRgyk3KMSZ5vTFThMG/view?usp=sharing

If anyone has suggestions for corrections or updates, let me know and I can edit and re-share.

Just wanted to say thank you so much for writing this up, I really appreciate it! I'll def hyu with questions I have about WiTP in general tbh its a little daunting for me but im beyond excited to dive in after watching GreyHunters LP on youtube

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I've always thought what would be interesting is trying to come up with procedurally generated operation- possibly with randomized geography, so you kinda have something that can be different each time. You'll never really be able to shake off the 'puzzle game' people because I think they were never really interested in operational games in the first place, but you can make something more interesting than a pure Fall Blau game.

Shadow Empire is pretty close to this tbh and a blast

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

these are also video games playing as CSA or Germany is not an endorsement of the views expressed by those groups

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

Hey, Grey, any chance you can add my WitP setup guide to the OP so that it doesn't get buried in depths of this thread?

Yes please this was incredibly helpful and easy to follow. Thanks again Gewehr!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I had no idea DW2 was so close. Have they said much about what's new?

Whats DW2?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I wanna try DW2 because I love love love games where you can choose the level of automation and make it as big or small as you want. I have too many games to play rn to buy the first one but im excited to see how the 2nd comes out

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for whoever reccomended me Neptune's Inferno i've been reading it while working on learning WiTP and its an excellent book. Can't wait to dive into a Guadalcanal scenario when i finish it!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm taking a look at Warplan Pacific.

Interested to hear your thoughts on it! I've had my eye on this one. Even though I'm learning WitP rn the Pacific Theater fascinates me so I'd be interested in how they compare.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I bought the DC: B physical manual and I have no regrets.

I wish they'd make a Shadow Empire physical manual. I might just take it to a printing store and put it in a binder. There's something about having a physical manual that makes playing grog games sm fun.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I love Shadow Empire it was my first real grog game and to this day probably still my favorite one. Endlessly replayable and has a nice Crusader Kings-type role playing feel to it without sacrificing it's grogginess.

Anyone whose been playing Warplan: Pacific have any thoughts? The systems and game itself look fun from what I've seen on youtube but there's something so...bland about the UI. It doesn't seem very cool or exciting. I can't put my finger on what's putting me off but I'm a real Pacific War buff and it'd be nice to have an alternative to WitP. Hope it turns out well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

Why Warplan Pacific wont work

Your argument definitely made me glad I decided to go with War in the Pacific over waiting for Warplan Pacific.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Popete posted:

That feels like such a cop out. I get annoyed when developers assume everyone wants to play with mods and lean on the community to finish their game.

Yeah this just makes me not want to buy it even more. "Here's a feature I know people want but someone else can do it" is just lazy. I wanna buy a finished game, not wait on modders to do the work the dev knows he should have done.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Probably because there's not a lot of games focusing on the Pacific theater and if you don't wanna play WitP that's kinda your only other option (at least that I can think of)

Speaking of WitP, I had a quick question: the unit/ship withdrawls? It says in the info screen that some ships are set to be withdrawn in X amount of days, but what does that mean? Where are they going?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Got it, thank you! Does it take time to withdraw them, or can I use them right up until withdrawl? For example if it says "14 days until withdrawl", can I use them for 14 more days then withdraw them or do I have to factor in the amount of time it'll take for them to get to Europe?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you for the help!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I may be mistaken but I believe there is an auto-withdraw option right? Maybe it's a mod but a youtube tutorial mentioned it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Are there any good tutorials for war in the pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWDuJLXjXQ

This is the tutorial series I use, it's excellent. The dude should be a teacher honestly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I know its not grog but I snagged Steel Division II for 13 bucks on a Steam sale, I thought other people itt might be interested.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mods please delete this if it's not allowed, but does anyone have a link to the PDF file of WitP manual? I bought the game and have been playing it but for some reason on the Slitherine/Matrix website it says I don't own it it so I can't download the manual, and I'm not gonna pay ANOTHER $80 just to have the manual.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Why don't you recover your account, that you obviously managed to lose?

I can log in just fine, it just doesn't show me owning War in the Pacific. I didn't pirate it, I have the $80 charge on my credit card, the website just doesn't show me as owning it for some reasons so won't let me download the manual.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Shoot me an email. cdouglasn at the Google mails

Sending one over, thank you so much!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

Sent.

In retrospect, I believe all of the manuals available in the game's install directory\manuals folder.

You are correct, I checked there and found I already had it. Regardless, I appreciate it, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

uPen posted:

This. The devs are proud of their manuals, they usually package like 2-4 different versions into the installer in case you wanted to print it out.

that's literally what i'm doing tomorrow, printing out WitP and Shadow Empire and putting them in binders