Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Personally, I'd like a new thread for RTW2, it's not there to permanently be the place to talk RTW, but, it'll deal with most of the buzz and make sure other stuff doesn't get drowned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How's their gladiator game?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Okay, here's my two cents on RTW.

Just build destroyers. Torpedoes kill things, and destroyers go fast. They're also cheap enough to replace when they get sunk. Anything else is irrelevant.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Are Close Combat 3 and 4 any good? I notice they're on GOG for $3 each and am tempted to pick em up unless they really suck, I've only ever played CC1, CC2, and the CC2 remake.

A lot of people love 3. I personally don't - it loses a lot of the back and forth 2 had, and is far more armour centric.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

WITP 2 also featuring tactical battles with no autoresolve for every encounter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Why fix it, when you can remove it entirely? When I think WITP, I think playing the Navy. Sure, ferrying troops places matters, but I just want to focus on my botes. The war botes. Some other schmuck can handle convoys.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Abstraction appears anathema to computer wargames. No, just because we have the computational power to do so, does not mean we have to simulate the firing of every rifle on the Eastern Front, Grigsby.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The idea that, by owning the first product, I won't pay full price for the new one is mindblowing. Regular games don't do that, and you're a loving grog game.
This is one of the exceedingly rare instances that I feel like "shut up and take my money."

The one issue is that the original's base game is rather a bit expensive. But the new one also includes backwards compatibility for the expansions, and the base game's scenarios, all of which have been on deep discount.

What I'm actually worried about is the price of the tacview addon, as well as its features. Will all models be accurately represented (doubtful, that's a lot)? Will they just use generic models? Will some be bespoke? Will they all be the un-textured red or blue shapes shown in pictures? Can we replace those with textured models? Will the tacview have rudimentary height mapping and 3D structures, a la Google Earth?

Ridiculously excited for this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

To me, if the game's not historical or in a clearly defined and well known setting, it takes longer to understand just what I'm doing. If you took all the the Vietnam out of Vietnam '65 and made it space aliens against humans, I'd still be interested, but I wouldn't understand it quite so implicitly.

I know what a Spitfire can do in combat. I know roughly what kind of damage the Enterprise (the aircraft carrier or the various spaceships) can do. I know what a Battlestar is meant to do. But if you take the Deadlock dev's previous game, Star Hammer, will you so readily understand the capabilities of their generic starships, and the enemy's generic starships?

However, that also introduces a problem. If things don't work as per the player's understanding of the setting - if you give a TIE Fighter shields (:argh: Battlefront!) - then you run the risk of angering those players.

Personally, I'm much more of a fan of games that convey the setting through their mechanics, rather than games that adhere to full accuracy to their source material. Give me Churchill over Campaign for North Africa, or to a lesser extent, DC:B over WitE (though I don't think DC:B does quite enough)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That sounds way less interesting than having to deal with specific goals set by specific people, which in turn limit your options. Actually, it sounds like a better version of Stalin's Paranoia mechanic that just kills generals in DC:B.

Alchenar posted:

e: also I would have you be Nimitz (or his chief of staff) rather than Allied commander. You control the fleet, you have to get the Marines to where they need to go, but you also have to deal with MacArthur and his obnoxious demands.

This though, is good. Would it also be too much to ask for PTO2 style monthly cabinet meetings?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

So how would we, in such a hypothetical game, both allow the Japanese player some leeway and a chance to be effective in the early war, while encouraging the Allied player to be willing to put up a naval fight, or string three carriers together and use them to defend a Midway.

A dynamic scoring system based on relative strength at each point in the war - get more points for early US victories/late Japan victories - while also prioritizing political considerations. Alternatively, going back to the PTO2 idea, scoring based on how well your side of the war went. So what if the army's lost entirely and the country's been defeated? The navy did a good job. :colbert:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dimitris posted:

....and here we go again with the "Big Co/team did it, why can't you" chestnut that we're oh so familiar with. I'm sure id-software and WarfareSims are on exactly the same pecking order on Valve's tech support totem.

Don't forget to troll your local 711 that they're not competitive to Walmart or Amazon. They'll certainly appreciate the insight.

I've never noted a performance decrease comparing a non-steam build and a steam build of a game. That, plus making it a factor of Valve helping id rather than id simply making their game very well on their proprietary engine, which they're known for, seems very off base.

If the 7/11 just has a single checkout, the banks aren't conspiring to push Walmart up. Walmart just has more checkouts because they're a larger business.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Deadlock has slightly more strategic depth but lacks in any real tactical depth other than securing fire superiority. I like it though. It’s very stylish.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

World of Warships is an aesthetic inspiration, and they’re building their engine to support the full campaign scale, while using an iterated dev model over a number of games instead of feature creeping the one title.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hav posted:

Will the current CMANO content be playable on the new platform? ie all the scenario packs and Northern Inferno et al?

Edit: ^^^ I spent an entertaining afternoon in the Werner Von Braun building in Huntsville explaining his role at Peenamunde. Sometimes context gets lost; sometimes it's just expedient to the task in hand, non of it changes history.

I was actually at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville a couple months back, visiting my girlfriend. They have a whole section dedicated to von Braun, and I think just two displays mention V2, one of them including a picture of Hyde Park following an attack. My grandmother's whole family, except her sister, were killed by a V2 attack, and mentioning that got a bit of a stir. Space stuff is cool though!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, like I said... it isn’t even universal with me. I can play WiTP until I am 90 and be fine, and I cannot think of a bigger forgone conclusion than the Pacific Theatre if the Second World War.

I think the difference may be that when you are playing the entire Pacific campaign, the Japanese player or AI has an advantage for at least a year, and if they play it right (or the Allied player plays it wrong) parity for a year after that.

This is much more compelling to me than the playing against, or playing the, Wehrmacht troops too crappy, generally speaking, to be on the Eastern Front or in Italy, while the Allies have overwhelming land and air power on their side too.

I'd say most Eastern Front games cover that same dynamic as WitP. Definitely WitE. I'd wager it comes to character: You feel more attached to your Enterprises and your Akagis than your 23rd Motorised Divisions. That's why DC:B does well, though that makes the characters a bit more overt.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The CG is rear end though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I do hate how Civil War feels like playing against the weak scenario design compared to Gettysburg. Everything feels better about it, except the horrible scripting of each scenario.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

Anything I should know before jumping into Silent Hunter 4? Can I play it just fine vanilla? I've got an itch to sink some ships.

I'm not so familiar with SH4 compared to 3, but I believe they switched to an HP based system rather than an actually good damage model, which I think Trigger Maru Overhaul fixes. Run Silent Run Deep is also good, it fixes up how convoys and taskforces generate.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fall of the Rising Sun or whatever its called is okay, it does make shipping a tad sparse and airstrikes overly lethal in my experience, but was otherwise enjoyable.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Honestly, I think folks would just welcome a straight playthrough of Aurora that just explained how to get going, rather than another roleplayey one just as C# drops? Of course the usual kind of Aurora thread is still great, just this could be an opportunity to get more folks into it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The Geoff posted:

The simulation of land combat in WITP is generally regarded as pretty terrible. Are there any games which simulate WW2 land combat particularly well?

Particularly interested in operational- or strategic-level games which do a good job of simulating human factors like leadership, initiative, morale, etc. rather than just counting rifles.

Command Ops 2?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

wide stance posted:

Bummer. I was interested in UoC 2 but not being able to craft most of your army's composition makes too much of a difference to me. Loses so much novelty and room for creativity when I'm stuck playing someone else's army.

It's just not your army at the very start. As the campaign goes, each HQ section and attached army feels distinctly your own.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Radio General is looking way better than Radio Commander. There seems to be much more focus on making an actual strategy game out of it, rather than the mess that the Vietnam one was.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It is annoying that it's all not save game compatible, but, still, one man hobby project released for free.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LLSix posted:

Worlds now only surrender if you have ground troops on them.

Worlds don't have to surrender if they're no longer populated.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bremen posted:

So... going out of your way to make a game harder to mod is just fine, but telling your users not to mod it is a sign of an unbalanced individual?

I'm just really confused by the reactions this is getting.

If you're going to be against it, be consistent in the measures you take, I think is the message there. The part about the UI mod inadvertently or otherwise decompiling a bit of the source or whatever, I hadn't heard about. Still think it's a bit much. The guy really ought to chill out though and not worry so much about the theoretical issue of people bug reporting due to mods.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Command Ops is my favourite grog game that I hardly play. There’s just something about it that hasn’t clicked with me, but I still adore it. Definitely the best Bulge game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I might make an effort to seriously learn Command Ops and do a real-time playthrough of a few scenarios. Nothing better to do during the quarantine! I'm also probably streaming a few Graviteam Tactics campaigns, mostly since I can't find any good ones made by non-nazis.

Speaking of, are any of the campaigns in Mius Front good from the Russian side? Most if not all of the Operation Star ones are pretty rough for them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The OP's grog games discord link is broke still, by the way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh, I'm just sending advance notice before my envelope with £60 enclosed reaches you, as the post is rather delayed at present. Please use the extra to pay for expedited shipping of the link such that it does not be rendered invalid before receipt!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Meh. Not my cup of tea. I tried, I really did... until I realized it was a puzzle game with grognard/war gaming decorations.

UoC 1, sure. But 2 is just a good, well designed game with fantastic scenario design.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The original not giving a poo poo about your own casualties does kinda make it feel less like a strategy game though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

From my perspective on each campaign mission, there are somewhere between 2 and 4 ways a mission must be played, with cards you must have selected, to complete all of the timed objectives.

To me, this is by definition, a puzzle game.

Maybe if you're playing on the hardest difficulty? 2-4 different methods to secure a perfect victory with all objectives seized on time also sounds fine, better than some Panzer General/Panzer Corps campaign scenarios? I feel like UoC2 is only a puzzle game if you're seeking perfectionism.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

40 for the year isn't the most unreasonable, to be fair.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I assume English is definitely not the dev's first language. It's not the worst I've played, but its simple style definitely needs a lot of touching up to be enjoyable. Very good idea though and it just needs a fair amount of work to polish up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

They'd make a ridiculous amount of money if they went to steam and had a campaign.

Then again, that's most sims. Strike Fighters 2 would be a license to print cash, especially if they threw in VR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Drone posted:

I've been filling a gap in my gaming history lately and have been playing Ace Combat 04 for PS2.

The Strangereal stuff is... well, kinda neat, in a weird anime way. Would be neat to see CMO scenarios for it, since the games pretty much use real-world hardware. Not sure how well CMO does with custom maps (if at all) though.

Ace Combat's great, and if you're enjoying 04, 5 and 0 are much better in pretty much every way.

Check out the Energy Airforce games for PS2. They were flight sims that tried to be Ace Combat, especially the first one. Selenic Martian did an LP of it over in the LP subforum.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There any decent WW2 carrier battle games? Don't mind going to DOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's kinda impressive that there's just... nothing modern? Even though carriers are such a big deal? At least, until suddenly everyone got super interested in making games with carriers.