Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

January 7th, 1915

kaiser bill is about to get pwnt

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Trip report: central powers all surrendered in august 1915. By war's end Russia had occupied stettin, Berlin, and Prague, France and Britain had advanced deep into the Ruhr valley in the north and well past the Rhine in the south, Italy had taken Trieste and was within reach of Vienna, Serbia was holding on but on the verge of collapse, and British troops held Gallipoli. I guess they'll call this the One Year War or something.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not sure Aurora has a UI

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

dublish posted:

It's a good buy, especially if you don't already have Commander: The Great War. Watching various YouTube single and multiplayer campaigns makes me think it needs a tutorial for certain mechanics though, because most people don't seem to read the manual.

YouTubers/streamers are notoriously bad at learning games. I think it's because of the distraction that comes with having to talk while playing. Also reading documentation does not contribute to their bottom line, since that is time they could spend making money on camera by just playing the game. So I don't know if they're representative of the average player.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is strategic command ww1 good? I frickin love commander: the great war and it seems like it's sort of similar to that?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alchenar posted:

I mean, if you know that German is at the high-water mark of mobilisation and you are behind, but as time passes you will only get stronger and they will only get weaker, why would you rush?

To spare poland the suffering of 6 years under occupation.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Does anyone else feel like there's a big gap between the trio of: war in the east/west/pacific, strategic command, and hearts of iron, which if properly bridged would result in a really loving good strategy game?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

uPen posted:

Each one of those games thinks it's the bridge in some way, but the one that finally nails it will be incredible.

Everyone's trying to get the bridge at Arnhem when we really need the one at Remagen

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Re: Warplan talk, there are complaints in the Steam reviews and forums that there are still some pretty serious bugs in the game - including one that outright deletes your units randomly or flips them to opponent control. Perhaps this is sample bias from those who get bothered enough to go to leave a review. A lot of people say the game is still good in general. Has anyone whos tried it here experienced such a problem?

I think the dev responded to those reviews and said the bugs were fixed. He seems like a pretty engaged person in general

E: it's 40 bucks which is pretty good for a grog game right? I think I will give it a shot this weekend

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 23, 2021

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Are there any good tutorials for war in the pacific

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMWDuJLXjXQ

This is the tutorial series I use, it's excellent. The dude should be a teacher honestly.

Oh I like that guy, I've been watching his series on warplan.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

is the plural of combat mission, combats mission? Too bad there isn't more than one of 'em on steam so we'll never find out!

j/k, but seriously, wtf with this release?

I think it would be combat missions? The word combat doesn't get pluralized like that right?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

On the subject of the ACW - why were confederates such assholes to the union soldiers they captured? The conditions in the prison camps were barbaric

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wake me up when you can get an A380 to do that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

the ur-thread was could the wermacht beat the 1991 iraqi army(which is way more of an open question).

drat I actually want to read that one now, it sounds lit

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Could any afv from WW2 kill an Abrams? An ISU-152 maybe?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

just bought war in the east 2. i played the veliki luki scenario and now have jumped straight into the 1941 campaign as the soviets. wish me luck fellas

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

17 August 1941

The fascists continue their unprovoked assault on our motherland.

In the north, they drive ever closer to Leningrad, birthplace of our revolution. Perhaps they aim to surround the city. This must not be allowed.

The recently-mobilized Reserve Front moves in to secure the gap between the Northwestern and Western Fronts, from Velikie Luki to Smolensk. For two weeks now, Army Group Center has tried to surround Smolensk, but the defenders have held it at bay. But the developing breakthrough at Roslavl threatens to drive a wedge between the Western and Central front. The entire Western Front could be encircled, as happened in Byelorussia in the first week of the war.

Like Smolensk, Kiev is a fortress city, impenetrable to frontal assault. Here too the Wehrmacht probes for weaknesses at the flanks of Southwestern Front. The Dnepr presents a formidable barrier. Kiev must not be surrounded.

The south is a catastrophe. Southern Front is shattered and incapable of containing the German breakthrough. Even if it does form a new defense line on the Ingul, the units it has are too weak to hold it. What is to be done?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Got any suggestions for what I should do about my problem in the south?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kvlt! posted:

Has anyone ever gotten one of these? It showed up in my mail randomly. I don't own a Combat Mission game.

If you're a CM fan and you want it I'd be happy to mail it to you free of charge so it can get some use.

How did they even get your address?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Snorkeling is used by modern MBT's too, whether we talk about T-90 or the Leopard, so there is nothing particularly weird about that itself. But that is usually used for river crossings - shallow waters over relatively short distances that can be scouted by frogmen or with sonar or even a drone I guess to see that there's no surprise obstacles.

Rivers, crucially, don't have waves

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DrankSinatra posted:

That reminds me of those 90s "1,000 Games!" shareware CDs where you'd spend hours trawling through crap and find the occasional weird MS Paint gem like that. Just some dude, a Borland C++ compiler, and an abundance of free time.

I got Space Empires III through one of those CDs. Well, a limited demo version.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Putin is actually a huge nerd who's played too much Crusader Kings and Assassin's Creed.

CK I get but not asscreed.

Also, a friend of mine pointed out that the VDV's operations in this war look suspiciously like someone trying to snipe victory points in hoi4....

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Isn't it already the basis of ace combat 4 and 6?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Aren't there live fire exercises that are meant to prepare soldiers for what being shelled feels like?

E: actually anyone have a source on those quitters?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 18, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anyone else have Warno? Its a bit hard to find big games right now but its fun.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there's a goon discord where we mostly afk and watch patches.

the grog discord? i dont see a warno channel there

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There's strategic command, also turn based with 2 week turns I think

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Maybe some day we'll be blessed with an Oregon Trail remake with the same attention to details. Gotta see my colonists shart themselves to death.

They did make one, it's called the Pacific Crest Trail

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is this for real cuz I can't find it

It's a long distance hiking trail in real life. You can drink untreated water and get dysentery!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Thats not a grog, thats a command&conquer level rts

The big catalog of real life units and complicated damage/accuracy model makes it grog. There's some actual tactics involved.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dramicus posted:

When I first tried Regiments I bounced off because I approached it with the mentality that it was basically like Wargame or Warno. Now that I've given it another shot, I understand how the game is supposed to be played and I really like it. I think it's much better than Wargame, especially with the focus on preserving your forces for future engagements.

Like you have to make real choices about what objectives to push for and whether or not it's feasible for your forces to actually accomplish them. You could blindly push forward, taking irreplaceable losses and maybe accomplish them, or you could choose to forsake the objectives and piss off command, while preserving your forces and taking things that are realistic, putting you in a better position to fight another day.

Do you then get passed over for promotion and forced to retire?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Has anyone beaten the second operation in Regiments? It's quite a big jump in difficulty over the first op.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s really easy if you double up on artillery and send in recon just to locate the targets. Then it’s just a case of defending in depth to hold the rail station to the end.

Remember your objective isn’t to conquer the map.

The counterattacks are brutal though. Both times I tried the mission my units got completely wiped out at the end of phase 1

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

The gunner auxillary sight also lets you be 100% sure your tank barrel is clear of terrain obstruction.

Is it boresighted?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think WITP would be really fun if I had a staff to handle some of the tedium

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

Actually, you know what?

gently caress it, I'll play WitP for you for free:v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020101

Best negotiation I've ever had

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I bet there were some Roman authors writing Clancychat about a giant wave of barbarians crossing the Rhine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Tried the Broken Arrow demo and while it has some promise what loving year is it supposed to take place in?

The demo mission has you running around with M47 Dragons blowing up S-350 SAMs (service year, 2019). Meanwhile the armory has the M551 Sheridan and M60 alongside F-35Cs and Stryker Dragoons :psyduck:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that, it's bizarre