Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
10 days until we rule the waves, again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has there been any news on C# Aurora 4X lately?

A few months ago, Steve said "not weeks, but months"

that is all really

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yeah from what I remember he was playing a small narrative scenario before going back into a deep dive of the code to optimize a bunch of stuff. So far stuff looked promising, its still super spreadsheety, but looked a little better on the UI front and possibly more accessible.

The only thing I care about is performance

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How often do grog games even come out? We are still playing games 10, 15, even 20 years old

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be fun if you got prize money and could spend it on fancy new clothes, a new sword. Maybe a parrot

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In before RtW 3 gets that uncrackable dongle thing that Steel Beasts uses

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I AM buying RULE THE WAVES 2 in 5 days because I HAVE NO dignity and don't really care tbh

Sucks though, because I wanted to give free copies to all my friends like I did with RtW 1

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

WHERE IS, REPEAT, WHERE IS RULE THE WAVES 2, THE WORLD WONDERS

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Wuuuuuuuhhhhhh???

Awesome, I'm hype.

It comes out on the 30th

I hear that in UBOAT you actually loot ships you kill, by sending a guy in diving gear to the bottom of the ocean lol. To pick up loot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they have an enigma machine in their basement and there's a 60 year old grog just furiously typing codes as orders pile up on his desk

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the dude in charge of coming up with and hand typing codes uses hunt-and-peck

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is like the 3rd delay, 3 days before launch. And its a month long delay

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm gonna refund uboat

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
10 days till rule the waves and the hype seems to have died in here lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried the transfer option for my activation/serial codes so I could activate the game on my laptop and now every code is invalid, lmao

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What should my doctrine settings be for using SAP ammo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There needs to be plane production or something because infinite planes is not cool imo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

Plane numbers weren't a big deal for most powers,

Imperial Japan crying.png

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason by 1937 I still don't have most plane types, just dive dombers and fighters.

Also the plane type in my CV and CVL groups says "none"

what is going on

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
imagine those are missiles and not torpedoes and you'd have an amazing missile cruiser

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Combat mission.txt

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Graviteam is superior because if this scenario was played in that game, your warrior would have seen the enemy IFV. However your gunner would have chosen not to shoot for reasons relating to morale or training or equipment, and the result would have been the same.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

What's in there? Arma?

Halo, lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flannelette posted:

Is Steel Beasts a Grognard game? Because they updated it and now it finally has proper not blocky 90s terrain, craters and doesn't slow down anymore if you have lots of units and long view distance.

Sure, it really isn't fun to play though

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ram-o

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Multiplayer is only 8 players and its like an arma situation where it gets boring fast if you don't have someone to make missions

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

Not sure where else to ask but can anyone recommend books on the IJN during WW2?

Japanese Destroyer Captain

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

yes, but I want the pre-dread's more.

only god knows when that is coming out

I'm intrigued here because it looks like there's more to the campaign in Age of Sail

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried Naval Action again

I'm enjoying it?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So is there any advice for using map layers in CMO? It seems to not like zooming or panning the map too much

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dimitris posted:

What do you mean by "not like"? The tiles take too long to download and show up? Something else?

It takes a long time to load, yeah. Stays very low res for a long time.

Also a fighting between layers

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Give me Aurora in C#

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a great scenario in Steel Beasts where the US invades a small island country and it's hilarious in multiplayer.

Entire battalions of marines getting stopped by El Presidente with a machinegun on a beach

Or shooting down apaches with T62s

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Love that the models are P-51s but labelled as an A-20. Neither of which are carrier capable.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Generation Internet posted:

I think the deepest I've ever gone in a WitP game is May 42 and I agree with this statement, if there was ever a version of that game with QoL improvements it would be amazing.

I'm also getting into Graviteam and for the first time after owning it forever, since a bunch of the DLC was just on sale. I feel like starting to understand the UI is like seeing the lines of code in the Matrix as actual things :shepface:

I don't even see the code. All I see is rifle squad, wire layers, tank platoon

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a guy who does excellent graviteam tutorials, I'll find them when I get home.

The key to winning battles in graviteam is maneuver and positioning.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gewehr 43 posted:

The key to winning Graviteam is having the game not completely reposition all of your carefully placed troops as soon as you complete the deployment phase. I can't tell if it's a bug or some kind of feature, but it absolutely breaks the game for me. I spend hours carefully sighting and placing all of my AT guns, tanks, and MG squads, only to hit deploy and find them a quarter mile away, in the open, and facing the opposite direction. That, and the fact there's no continuity between tactical sessions, drives me bonkers. I lose half my forces capturing a village in one battle, then the next tactical battle, I'm fighting for the same village again. WTF.

I want to love Graviteam. I really do, but it has bitten me too many times and it's not even the UI that everyone complains about that's doing it for me.

I agree with this to a point. When I was going through that sheet a year ago, what I struggled with - and what the sheet makes little attempt to explain - is why you are doing all of those operations. In some cases, I believe it says something like "set up future CS convoy for xyz" or something to that effect, but beyond that, there's little explanation. To me, there's more learning value in playing through a few rounds of the Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios before leaping into a grand campaign. As those play out, you start to see why you want to set up your CAGs in certain ways, and why these ships need to go there, etc, etc. Rote without reason isn't a good teaching method in my opinion. As I'm setting up for my second run through of the Allies GC right now, I'm ignoring that sheet and just going region by region to configure the infrastructure as I need it. It won't be perfect, but it will get me far enough along to start actually playing the game in 2020. :)

Yeah, Grigsby himself said he'd never do anything that large again, but I'll remain hopeful. I don't need flashy, real-time gameplay, or AAA-level graphics. Just give me WitP1 with an overhauled UI, AI, and a few new features and it's a shut-up-and-take-my-money scenario.

With regards to your graviteam issue:

The game tells you what squares are not capturable that battle so while you may take the point, you won't hold it.

With regards to deployment I've never had that issue or heard of it but maybe the deployment squares are invalid terrain for your units.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gewehr 43 posted:

I'm really not sure what to say. In the campaign I was playing, I officially captured a village, achieving the objective, then started the next battle on the same turn, and it was right back in enemy hands with all their guns dug in and ready to go.

The deployment issue has been mentioned here a few times, and happens probably 40% of the time. It's to the point where I feel punished for trying to set up a force properly, so I've kind of given up on Graviteam. Googling again for grins hints that it may have something to do with the units trying to "take up defense" positions. At this point, I'm kinda over Graviteam. Maybe I'll come back to it some day, but for now, it'll remain a haunting visage in my steam library.

If you have stay concealed/ambush/take defense checked then the units will automatically deploy to the nearest concealed or lowest terrain square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody play steel beasts? I'm awful at tactics and recon and always die