Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Chechnya mod for Armored Brigade is finally out, which is something I've been long excited for: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=441&t=79619&p=802565#p802565

Haven't gotten to try it yet, but the maps look incredible:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken posted:

"least fun war"

*grognarding intensifies*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not-Sure-If-Grognard but this just popped up on Steam, coming out soon. Seems pretty neato

https://twitter.com/wargamercom/status/1193938209190883329?s=21

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The LOS tool im Command slows my game to a janky crawl, and I can't figure out how to shut it off. Blegh.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I asked the discord you have to click on a different unit then open the LOS menu again

Still fun though. No idea how to find submarines though, even with God-Eye Tac-View telling me where the sub was.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stupid idiot question, but I have to ask: would there be a way to mod CMO to say, simulate massive Star Wars fleet battles in space?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Steel Battalion 2 fit with this thread? It's half off during the Steam sale and looks pretty sharp.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which Clad in Iron game should I buy? There's three of them and I'm totally unfamiliar with the settings.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had any experience with Supreme Ruler Ultimate? It was on sale and seemed like it'd be a ton of fun, taking over the world and all that. Like a sort of off-brand Paradox game, but it goes all the way up into modern days and the future.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Radio General is looking way better than Radio Commander. There seems to be much more focus on making an actual strategy game out of it, rather than the mess that the Vietnam one was.

oh my god they make you write letters to the families of the soldiers that were killed in action

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

I've been filling a gap in my gaming history lately and have been playing Ace Combat 04 for PS2.

The Strangereal stuff is... well, kinda neat, in a weird anime way. Would be neat to see CMO scenarios for it, since the games pretty much use real-world hardware. Not sure how well CMO does with custom maps (if at all) though.

That's funny. I've been playing Warship Gunner 2 on the PS2 which is a semi-grognardy naval warfare game in which you zip around and blow up WW2-era warships off the coast of a fictional country made up between Russia and Japan, with some pretty deep mechanics and controls. You can even design your own ships!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wfchvt8RCM

There's also Dai Senryaku VII Exceed, which is much more of a traditional mapgame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIq7eeRj0Io

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How likely am I to get a 21:9 ultrawidescreen patch for Steel Fury Kharkov 1942

I already posted on their forums

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they ever say when Shadow Empire was coming to Steam?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Perfect! Right in between the time I finish Yakuza 7 and before Cyberpunk comes out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

give the column inches to Grey Hunter

Nah, give it to Gary Brecher.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism cinematic tankie simulator, will give it a quick whirl for an hour then give you a trip report. Honestly I'm excited to see just how dumb this gets.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I played through the first mission of Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism. It's shockingly pretty decent, albeit a bit simple. Sort of like babby's first groggame The voice acting is bad... but earnest in a way you can respect. It harkens back to the old days of when developers would be the ones recording dialogue instead of hiring professional voice actors.

You play as Field Marshal Zhukov, which you will remember as the character portrayed by Jason Issacs in Death of Stalin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNbvepjd46A

Sadly, Jason Issacs does not reprise this role. After Beria sacks your boss for disloyalty, you lead the defense of Mongolia from "samurai" imperialists. You run a bunch of tanks straight at the enemy, backed by a few air bombings and some minor infantry. So... accurate. After you complete the primary objectives, you can run up the score and get more victory points to level up your command, and doing secondary objectives gets you stuff like tank flamethrowers, etc. I'm excited to play more and see how things pan out, as next you get to invade Poland. Should be interesting!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since nobody else is talking about it I'm going to x-post my first impressions of Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism from the CSPAM Gaming Thread:

Taintrunner posted:

Choo choo, capitalist scum! It's tankie time!

Today we are here to talk about Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism, the world's foremost tankie simulator. In it, you play as Jason Issac's character from Death of Stalin, Marshall Zhukov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ea2-kt8ox4

Sadly, he does not reprise the greatest role of his career. You do get the joy of helping Zhukov rise through the ranks of the Kremlin, first saving Mongolia from the Japanese imperialists, then proceeding to liberate Poland from the capitalist dogs, before liberating Finland from the capitalist dogs, and then defending the Soviet Union from the fascist pigs of the Third Reich. I am led to believe that you go on to institute global communism, so who knows what the ending may hold.

The voice acting is all adorably amateur, and the writing is just hilarious. But it is pretty cool, jumping around Soviet history in the leadup to and through World War 2.

This is your office. It's pretty kickass. Big "in this moment, I am euphoric" vibes from Zhukov here.

You get these little cinematic bits as you move your units around the map, which is pretty neat, albeit repetitive after a while.

The scale is all weird, being a turn based strategy game and all, so you get these fun bits of giant recon trucks looming over giant explosions.

That's a lot of planes. Pew pew. The bomber pilot is voiced by a woman.

Oh my god! What a loving disaster!

Already getting in trouble with the brass!

Oh, yeah. If you gently caress it up, apparently Beria has you shot. Luckily, I haven't made that mistake yet.

Someone's got some sass.

Oh hey, they have jokes.

There's a lot of hidden units you have to track down and reveal.

Stalin gets some great bits in, too. Yelling at capitalists never gets old.

Stalin will also praise you for doing well.

And he's witty, too!

I'm only a few missions in, but this is pretty hilarious/fun. I was hoping for dialogue trees or something, but it's really nice having these mid-mission cutscenes to invest you in the drama of trying to survive Stalin's inner circle. Also there's a lot of amazing unit dialogue, like the armored train will yell poo poo like "We're on track...on track for global communism!" And then the destroyer will say "I sailed under the Tsar. I sail under Stalin. I will sail under global communism!" and they're all a ton of fun.

Gonna sink some more hours into it soon, but it's honestly a pretty neat little experience for beginner grognards with a decent bit of added flavor.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SkySteak posted:

Stalingrad is considered by many the great turning point of World War 2, due to the fact that the Russians put up too much of a good fight in the city, which subsequently broke the German AI.

Why do you think the alt-Right is always crying about "snowflakes?"

Because it reminds them of the Eastern Front.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally started jumping into Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm and this is a ton of fun, incredibly accessible too. Feels like a command level view of something like ArmA at times. Had an incredibly successful first outing:

And what you don't see is me rushing to wipe the remaining units and artillery at the end, which was a sweet reward in itself.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is MegaMek considered "grognard?"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Megamek is still pretty good for that, actually. Lots of ways to cook yourself alive, blow yourself up, fall flat on your face, etc.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hunterhr posted:

I once had a game where my Centurion skidded off map and was "lost" on the second turn.

I had a medium mech punch an assault in the back, detonating the machine gun ammo on the assault, destroying the mech. The pilot ejected and proceeded to smash into a tree in the middle of a blizzard, killing him. The ammo explosion caused damage to all the mechs around him, including mine.

MegaMek is a good game. :colbert:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MegaMek lets you enable specific mech quirks, which helps in making each mech stand out from their similar counterparts. Logistics wise, running a merc company over a campaign can lead to some interesting scenarios, like coming up short on parts/ammo procurement, I know of a few occasions where someone had to basically Frankenstein a mech together out of whatever was lying around because of what a dire situation they were in.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can find it for free on MyAbandonware. Matrix Games gave it out for free a long time ago, but lost the download link on their site.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrotherJayne posted:

The new flare path site is like 90% loving puzzles and I goddamn hate it.

Yeah that guy sucks on top of being a transphobe and poo poo.

I don't think devs are going to be as friendly with him on updates going forward.

I really just want regular updates on grognard/skims and outside of Flare Path there's a massive vacuum to be filled. goon project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy shot this rules