Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

It takes some trial and error to get it working properly

Linux.txt

Every other year or so, I get a bug up my rear end to dual boot my computer and play around with Linux. Then I spend 3 hours editing text files trying to set up a bog standard dual monitor configuration, flatten it, and go back to Windows.

On topic: This DRM solution is bad in so many ways. At least automate the key distribution system. Leaving the responsibility on one person to manually generate keys and email them is so archaic and stupid that it defies logic. I won't be getting this as I don't want Bill the Keymaster to die leaving me unable to use my legally-purchased software when I rebuild my PC in a year or two. I already can't play CM:BN because it requires a pay-to-play patch to disable their DRM in Win10. So, nope, won't be getting into this type of situation again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Look dude, if it was secure in 1999, it's secure now.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Anyone else think this guy looks like a young Bill Murray?

Edit: Maybe with the slightest touch of Belushi in there.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Ha, I saw that when I was there in June too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Where does Unity of Command fall on the grog scale?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Hypnobeard posted:

They are literally free. There's no reason not to have one these days.

I said that it was perfectly secure in 1996, so it is perfectly secure now. What part of this aren't you getting?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

In the space of a few weeks, my viewpoint on RTW2 went from "instant day-one purchase" to "I'll probably buy it on day one but I won't feel good about doing so" to "I'm just gonna play Mordhau and Total War until there's a clear goon verdict on it and maybe wait for a few patches if I buy it at all."

That dev team really shot themselves in the foot with just about everything about the way they handled this release.

Same. I probably never was a "instant day-one purchase," but I probably would have grabbed this early. I just really can't get behind what these guys are doing and after doubling (tripling?) down on their stance on their horrible DRM and piracy... ugh. Nope. I'm not going to risk Joe, the keymaster quitting the company and never being able to reinstall and play a game I already paid for. Battlefront absolutely burned me on that idea. If it's not on steam or matrix games, I'm not buying it.

edit: gently caress me... seriously? warshipfc@ya-loving-hoo.com? In 2019? Has anyone told them that getting a domain email is loving cheap these days? Jesus Christ.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
This is amazing.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Woodchip posted:

Is the trek through the Marshalls worth it?

Neither they nor the Gilberts are really worth the effort if you've got a well established supply route around them.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hermes to the rescue!! :downsgun:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
On the topic of crappy spotting in CM games, there's an engine limitation that isn't obvious but has bitten me in the rear end a few times. Let's say you want to start putting rounds into a 2-story house to suppress an enemy unit you know is on the first floor. But, because of terrain, you can only see the 2nd floor. If you order area fire on the building, your unit will drop its fire orders almost immediately. According to a BF forum thread I read, your unit has to have LOS on either an enemy unit on the 2nd floor, or the base ground "action square" that the house sits on.

So, in my case, I had a rifle squad and a Sherman tank. The rifle squad was absolutely pinned by a German HMG team on the first floor of a 2-story house. The Sherman, 50 yards behind the infantry on the back side of a small rise, could not spot the ground tile the house sat on, and there was no unit on the 2nd floor. Ergo, my Sherman would drop its fire orders and sit idly. The rifle squad didn't make it. A little HE even into the 2nd floor would have gone a long way in the situation.

CM games are fun, but between the lack of a proper campaign, atrocious texture tearing, spotty spotting, lovely camera controls, an antiquated engine, and the self-righteousness of their devs, I've just given up on them. Oh, and I love the 5+ minute load times from an SSD on some scenarios.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Popete posted:

I love Graviteam games but everytime I start a campaign I never get very far because after a few turns my units are starting to get depleted and run out of ammo or have inconsistent makeups and I haven't figured out how to use the reinforcement or replenishment mechanics and I start fighting battles against tanks with only infantry or AT guns that have 4 rounds left.

Truth. I can get through the tactical UI pretty well. Frankly, I've never found it nearly as bad as people have made it out to be. The operational UI, however, leaves me absolutely stumped. It makes sense to someone... just not me.

Squiggle posted:

I think controlling whole platoons and playing it more like "set them up, watch them go" with minor prodding afterward is refreshing compared to the overwhelming bullshit that individual orders to everything on a CM map larger than "Medium".

Also truth. The worst part about a CM game is having to absolutely micromanage everything down to the last step. Anything like a large battle and it becomes pure tedium.

Aside from the operational UI in GT, my biggest gripe is how it sometimes randomly relocates your units after you spend an hour meticulously deploying them for battle. The last time I played it, I spent forever setting up a set of AT guns and a Marder in defilade/hull down positions overlooking a likely field of Soviet advance. As soon as I hit the go button, 3 of the 4 AT guns were suddenly placed out in an open field and all 4 of them - along with the Marder - were facing 180 degrees from the way I'd set them. I've never heard a logical explanation for why the game does this, so I can only think it is an unpatched bug.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Grumio posted:

I misread this as WiTP2 and got my hopes up :(

Ditto.

Woodchip posted:

Witp 2, now with more pilot training options!

Visio not included.

Still in.

Plek posted:

WitP2 is just WitP but now the Americans have to manage production and they've added the small arms carried by fishing boat crews so they can fire at subs. Supply is now more general and can be used by capturing forces! Unfortunately ammo for all weapons is now tracked separately and must be shipped with supply.

Still. In.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
yessssssss give it all to me

:shepspends:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
god im getting aroused

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
WitP2:

- Widescreen support
- 3-D map (think google earth with hexes) to allow for a spherical map projection. Cocking all the land masses at an angle to simulate a spherical projection annoys me.
- Ability to auto-stand-down squadrons if losses reach a certain threshold
- Rework the pilot training program to reduce the tedium
- Rework the task force assignment/mission assignment system altogether. Maybe start with the mission, then assign the ships and destination. Allow me to set pathing via clicks and drags. It takes 11 clicks to properly configure a single submarine patrol without waypoints in the current game. Bleh.
- Adaptive AI instead of hard-coded scripts
- 3 pulses per day (night/morning/evening)
- More any loving keyboard shortcuts for routine tasks. i.e. make the loving enter key accept whatever UI screen you're on.
- Working/meaningful land combat simulation
- De-convolute the repair interface and its calculations
- ctrl+ or shift+ clicking to select multiple items in menus
- ctrl+f to search for a base, ship, unit, whatever

That's all I've got right now. It's been a few months since I played it, so some of the more nuanced wounds have healed, but I'm sure there are more.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
But if you don't control the ground war, then you risk the AI going off and doing something completely against the rest of your campaigning and you lose the war anyway. (There's a MacArthur joke to be made here, but I'll refrain.) In that sort of situation, it just becomes unfun for the gamer. The war in the Pacific was a concerted effort between naval, ground, and air forces and you can't really simulate it properly while only looking at two of the aspects.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

So did I.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

Reading the WITP thread has me thinking about the combat system and wondering: are there any well-regarded games that focus in on the island battles of the Pacific Campaign? I can see that Order of Battle has entries for the Pacific but I’ve never played any of those.

Order of Battle is great, but it's pretty abstracted and grog-lite.

Edit: Also... WitP thread? Could you link me please?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

AARP LARPer posted:

I'm in the beta for Close Combat: The Bloody First and I'm here to tell you it's rad as hell.

Neat. Count me in. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Interesting. I'd be more excited if those were hellcats instead of F-22s. :colbert:

Anyone want to do a WitP Guadalcanal PBEM?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Squiggle posted:

God loving drat it, every time I upgrade my computer I try to play Combat Mission smoothly and somehow it seems to run worse. I swear to god I wish those simps would improve the loving engine. It's unacceptable, what this computer is capable of, and the way this piece of poo poo software plays. I will never not be mad at this poo poo.

God.

At least you can play. I never bought the paid upgrade for CMBN, so it just flat out doesn't run in Win10.

Not to denigrate your complaint, as it is completely valid. Just know that you're further ahead than some of us.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That's super disappointing. I was really hoping for a more realistic version of the Men of War franchise and I was kinda pinning my hopes on this one.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Wasn't the fleet the Germans scuttled in Scapa Flow after WWI the best supply of low background steel for a long time?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

The Geoff posted:

A new naval wargame called Task Force Admiral was recently announced - it looks incredible so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbqBpcG3EA

Set in the Pacific Theatre in 1942. It still looks very early stage, but they plan to have "a fully playable vertical slice by 2020".

More info in the giant dev log here: https://drydockdreams.games/2019/10/26/making-waves/

ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod it's really happening! I've been dying for a spiritual successor to Task Force 1942 since I was a kid. I'm jaded enough not to let my hopes get too high, but drat if I haven't been so jazzed about a game prospect since B-17 Flying Fortress II: The Mighty Eighth.

please happen. please be good.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Goddamnit. I've been playing Silent Hunter 4 since launch (12½ years ago for those of you keeping track at home) and for maybe the 2nd time ever, I came across a Japanese carrier task force.

I was completely out of torpedoes. :saddowns:

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 10, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Only Wolves of the Pacific (the U-boats-in-the-pacific-expansion). If you want to use any mods, that's the version you need and it has all the fleet boat stuff too.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Unity of Command II opinions anyone? Loved the first game

Full disclosure: I've only mucked with it for ~45 minutes so far. Never played UoC1.

I'm not hot on the UI and it looks like utter dogshit at 4k resolutions. If you want to play it full screen, all it does is upscale the graphics, so everything is pixelated and jagged. Running it windowed helps, but it's a turn off. This from the guy who still adores old games and their lovely graphics.

Anyway, I'll probably refund it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
This just in: Midway doesn't suck.

I'm about as much of a grog as can be when it comes to movies and I'm happy to say that it does a pretty good job depicting the first six months of the war. The battle scenes are pretty hollywood-ized, but generally speaking, it's a pretty solid movie.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Ignore me.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
WitPChat: Am I crazy or are the Quiet China grand campaign scenarios not included with the stock install? I don't recall ever downloading them before, but I just did a fresh install on a new laptop and the quiet china scenarios aren't there. I really thought they were stock scenarios. I only have scenarios 1-6. The quiet China scenarios were 7-9. What am I missing?

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 21, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

ElBrak posted:

Ya, you need to download the patches, it'd be a dumb idea to play WITP:AE unpatched. Look in the forum and get the Beta Patch too.

I have WitP:AE and the beta patch. I'll check the version number on the main menu later tonight.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Quiet China comes with the patches.

Hmm, okay. I'll look into it. Maybe I missed an intermediate official patch.

Edit: Yep, that got it. I missed the 1126a official patch. I now have all the scenarios I expected. Thanks, for the assist, gents!

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 21, 2019

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I just ran a quick go of the US Coral Sea scenario in WitP over lunch. I combined the Yorktown and Lexington TFs and sent them north to cover Port Moresby, and split both oiler groups to head south to Noumea. True to life, the Sims and Neosho got smashed... but not until they were safely tucked away in port at Noumea. They baited the Japanese main carrier fleet south to the point that it parked itself a couple hexes off Noumea proper and just pounded Noumea with airstrikes. Meanwhile, US land- and carrier-based assets sank every last Japanese ship in the Moresby bombardment and invasion fleets. The Japanese ground losses were over 6000 casualties. Only then did the Japanese CVs dash north to try to engage my fleet. The scenario ended before that battle could play out. I'm not sure what happened to the Shoho, but she never appeared during the scenario and was parked at Truk when it ended.

If Coral Sea had played out that way, leaving 3 more Japanese carriers at full battle readiness, I wonder how differently Midway would have played out. Having Zuikaku or Shokaku alone could have tipped the scale of that battle significantly.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Shooting from the hip here, but...

1. Yes, they charge for all upgrades.
2. That's unusual. They typically have both digital delivery and snail mail options. Been a long time since I have looked at anything Battlefront, though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

fuf posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1021100/Aircraft_Carrier_Survival/

this upcoming game looks a bit janky but I've been kind of vaguely fantasising about a game like this since I was a kid.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on this one. Thanks for the heads up.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

bewbies posted:

For some reason I want to try and play through an entire WITP game as the allies. Does anyone have a good save file for starting the game? I found one years ago that was essentially this spreadsheet as a save file but I'll be damned if I'm going through that entire thing manually.

Hello, me-from-one-year-ago.

Daunted by that ridiculous spreadsheet, I searched for the same savegame file. I was unable to find it. Moreover, I wouldn't recommend it. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), the game assigns one of a dozen or so different overall AI script routines at the start of a campaign. Meaning, if you downloaded a pre-built save file, I think you'd get the same AI script every time you tried to use it. Of course, everyone here will just tell you to run a PBEM game instead because the AI sux, but that's beside the point and not helpful.

What I ended up doing was listening to someone here (Bold Robot?) who said that you really don't need to do all several thousand items from that spreadsheet. That's really built to min/max against a human opponent. Having played through a whole campaign last year, I can back that up. Disable heavy industry in Australia to save fuel, set up your convoy system by identifying where you want your hubs and spokes, set up aerial patrols, and start moving ground units where you want them. That's the core first-month infrastructural stuff. As that's shaping up, you can begin to build a battle plan to counter whatever the AI is going to throw at you. As the allies, you'll be reacting for the first 8-12 months of the war anyway.

Edit: Also, the reason you want to try and play through an entire WitP game is because it's fun as hell. I still stand behind the idea that WitP is one of the best games ever produced. Easily in my top 2, and I just discovered it 18 months ago. All I ever hope for in a WitP2 is a better UI and AI.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 4, 2020

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The key to winning Graviteam is having the game not completely reposition all of your carefully placed troops as soon as you complete the deployment phase. I can't tell if it's a bug or some kind of feature, but it absolutely breaks the game for me. I spend hours carefully sighting and placing all of my AT guns, tanks, and MG squads, only to hit deploy and find them a quarter mile away, in the open, and facing the opposite direction. That, and the fact there's no continuity between tactical sessions, drives me bonkers. I lose half my forces capturing a village in one battle, then the next tactical battle, I'm fighting for the same village again. WTF.

I want to love Graviteam. I really do, but it has bitten me too many times and it's not even the UI that everyone complains about that's doing it for me.

Bold Robot posted:

All of this is good advice. No doubt that going through the spreadsheet to put in all of those first-turn orders is terrible. But IMO it is a useful part of the learning curve for WITP. If you were to use a save with all of the orders put in already, you wouldn't get a good sense of what's going on or how those orders fit together (even setting aside the AI script issue which Gewehr is right about).

I agree with this to a point. When I was going through that sheet a year ago, what I struggled with - and what the sheet makes little attempt to explain - is why you are doing all of those operations. In some cases, I believe it says something like "set up future CS convoy for xyz" or something to that effect, but beyond that, there's little explanation. To me, there's more learning value in playing through a few rounds of the Coral Sea and Guadalcanal scenarios before leaping into a grand campaign. As those play out, you start to see why you want to set up your CAGs in certain ways, and why these ships need to go there, etc, etc. Rote without reason isn't a good teaching method in my opinion. As I'm setting up for my second run through of the Allies GC right now, I'm ignoring that sheet and just going region by region to configure the infrastructure as I need it. It won't be perfect, but it will get me far enough along to start actually playing the game in 2020. :)

Bold Robot posted:

Seriously. Almost all of the criticism of the UI and AI is deserved but buried under that is an amazing game. My dream game is WITP2. Sadly, nobody seems to think one will ever get made.

Yeah, Grigsby himself said he'd never do anything that large again, but I'll remain hopeful. I don't need flashy, real-time gameplay, or AAA-level graphics. Just give me WitP1 with an overhauled UI, AI, and a few new features and it's a shut-up-and-take-my-money scenario.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 5, 2020

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phi230 posted:

With regards to your graviteam issue:

The game tells you what squares are not capturable that battle so while you may take the point, you won't hold it.

With regards to deployment I've never had that issue or heard of it but maybe the deployment squares are invalid terrain for your units.

I'm really not sure what to say. In the campaign I was playing, I officially captured a village, achieving the objective, then started the next battle on the same turn, and it was right back in enemy hands with all their guns dug in and ready to go.

The deployment issue has been mentioned here a few times, and happens probably 40% of the time. It's to the point where I feel punished for trying to set up a force properly, so I've kind of given up on Graviteam. Googling again for grins hints that it may have something to do with the units trying to "take up defense" positions. At this point, I'm kinda over Graviteam. Maybe I'll come back to it some day, but for now, it'll remain a haunting visage in my steam library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I tried that with Crusader Kings 2 recently, which does have UI scaling. By the time the text was large enough to read from across a fairly small room by two people with pretty good eyesight, the UI obscured 80% of the map. :sigh: