Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Yeah, I’m not a RTW guy and have no interest in the naval genre, but I get a kick out of the excitement over it. So...fwiw just post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
"Enter the first word in the second paragraph on page 23"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
lol some people are just so bad at this

just say we as a company have looked into alternatives suitable for our small hobby and have concluded this is the way forward. Our apologies for any understandable frustration this decision may cause and boom...you shut up, publish the game and this dumb-as-hell tantrum goes away.

but no, let's actually go online and say the silent words out loud, over and over: eat poo poo

people can't politely ignore it if you say it out loud!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
i'm gonna get online and argue with a bunch of reclusive, anti-social grogs (but I repeat myself) about how much smarter i am than them. yes this will be both successful and good for my business.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
still lolling at manual drm via email jesus christ

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
i can already smell the whiff of failure beginning to waft upon the air

just the initial scents now

but they will get stronger

soon

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Are the rules enforced or is it still just a Tabletop Simulation?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Bold Robot posted:

I can't find any info on a release date, when is this out?

2nd half of 2019 is about as specific as they’ve been so far.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Matrix/Slitherine has announced a new WWII game in development called "WarPlan"

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=806

It looks like it's an engine ala TOAW which will allow for scenario creation on a grand strat level...I think?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I’m in an online wargaming group and the two most popular games being played at the moment are Strategic Command:World at War and Field of Glory 2.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

dublish posted:

First thing I noticed was the world map still has all the c. 2000 political boundaries.

:bsloppy:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
listen lil buddy I’ve been at this for forty years so i think i know what i’m doing

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I ordered an in-stock boardgame from NWS and it just arrived -- seven weeks later. I'm sure that manually sending out RTW2 keys and processing refunds for thousands of people will go very, very smoothlahahahahahaha....

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
just lol if you think this crew of miscreants is releasing a game this weekend

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Am I understanding this correctly: the DRM utilizes the your default windows email (that you may have never used) as part of the unique key generation?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

EDIT 2: The best thing about this clusterfuck is that I discovered that NWS sells Advanced Squad Leader modules, and they have surprisingly low prices on board games.

NWS is the absolute best place to buy boardgames, though stock can sometimes be spotty.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

fuf posted:

Infantry units moving up on their own sounds cool, but "machine gun firing at dudes in their line of sight" is a bit less revolutionary.

Disobedient AI seems like it could be a fine balance between interesting and annoying.

The CC series games have always had optional "act on your own initiative" and "always obey orders" settings.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
it's kind of hidden away in the settings

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Between Steam/GOG/Fanatical, Slitherine's stuff is on sale somewhere every month or two.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Matrix/Slitherine has a Steam page up for their new Strategic Command: World War 1 game. This will be the third game retrofitted with this latest engine (WWII: World at War; WWII: War in Europe). No word on a release date yet, but most likely this summer.

Once out, this will probably be my "go to" WW1 grog recommendation because they've done well with this new series.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 4, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Haha awesome!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I hate these games.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
“Trace your lines of supply back to these hexes!”

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
you people are sick

*fires up Battle Academy*

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
careful what you wish for -- don't push gary too hard or you'll end up with asl integration and you'll need to pull up a geomorphic "battle map" to play through the operation every time you want to claim some atoll

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm in the beta for Close Combat: The Bloody First and I'm here to tell you it's rad as hell.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

OP posted:
Combat Mission
DO NOT BUY FROM BATTLEFRONT

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I feel your pain. I buy every stupid pos game that has the slightest whiff of grog about it, and BF's games look fun as hell, but I refuse to give $ to a company that has been so openly hostile towards its tiny customer base. They don't even try to hide their disdain so that I can pretend not to know about it! I don't get it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
shots fired!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Popete posted:

it's like you can see the dice being rolled just off screen.

i mean, that's kind of pretty much what's happening?

CC was never intended to be a fast-moving RTS ala Men of War, but the series has always tried to have it both ways and it creates weird expectations. Because it's "real time" (although super-slow) one would expect to see a more accurate representation of individual behaviors on the battlefield, but internally, it appears that all units are treated as "static" at point of contact when there's interaction between opposing forces -- the "characters" we see on the screen should be considered "chits" with the animations being nothing more than generic representations of the behind-the-scenes calculations.

I think CC would benefit greatly by moving towards a system based upon turn-based movement WITH the appropriate and specific animations ala Battle Academy.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 3, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Popete posted:

Yeah that's true, I guess maybe it's just more jarring in 3d cause you see a group of infantry get hit with a massive explosion dead on and nothing really happens. Same with tanks firing and missing point blank at each other. The maps look smaller and everything is close up and yet they're missing repeatedly.

Yep. It really exposes this issue more than ever now which is too bad. There's a great game in there somewhere.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

Very much a 'in that case why on earth did you make the game 3d?' Moment.

It's helpful in terms of judging terrain height which was a bitch to visualize in 2d, but I agree that the overall effect is to raise expectations that go beyond what CC offers.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Radio Commander is now available to purchase/play on Steam - $15

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tias posted:

I'm looking for a relatively casual WW2 game to crack open some spare time with. I like grand strategy but not complicated mechanics, HoI is a nightmare for me, for example. I enjoy logistics at the level of stuff like Panzer General. Any suggesions?

Yeah, you want Strategic Command WWII: World at War.

You can control as many or as few countries as you like. It’s extremely accessible, but is also a couple steps up from Axis & Allies in terms of mechanics. It’s great fun.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

hottake: balance of power is not that good a game

they can't be all that bad -- there are so many of them. the market has spoken!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
lol my bad. I got it mixed up with Supreme Ruler

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 19, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I would be here for a very indepth political situation that was grognard level complex, but that probably won't ever exist.

oh man, a million times this.

this incorporated into a vietnam military simulation is my Questing Beast.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I have not read a manual and do not even understand the meaning of the word.

you're in the right place, brother

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Unimpressed posted:

I've always wondered about this. On the one hand,a massively expensive asset, seemingly so vulnerable. On the other, it's moving at 36 knots,a multi vector, dissimilar asset time on target attack would be pretty hard to coordinate.

It's pretty amazing that CMO throws all these weapons systems together in the way it does...and that it causes players to consider these things. That's pretty sophisticated.

But yeah, the How do you balance increased force projection with increased asset risk? angle has always been pretty interesting to me as well. In a way, it intersects with game design and what fascinates me about their rule-sets. In real life, how do commanders calculate this risk? What are the parameters at play? We can certainly count the number of planes/guns and compare, but how are the more abstract notions of possible risk measured and quantified? And how can these systems be incorporated into other things (vid games; simulations) to help us study and better understand these situations via simulation? Good poo poo and why I love this genre.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Wait wait wait, on 1 or when you say "fire" after 1?! For god's sake, I can't explain how important this is!!