Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Hey VS, I think one of the smaller mostly-black chicks was limping just now (sorry, I've lost track of who's who since the hatch). She went behind the brick when I tried to get a screenshot but I can try again once she's back in view.

Edit: it's the leftmost one in the group sitting in front of the feeder.

Goddamn Particle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
REALLY hoping I'm just being alarmist here, but the chickie that was limping yesterday has been kinda curled up under the lamp in the corner for a while and not running around like the others...is she ok? :ohdear:

Apologies if I'm being THAT commenter on a pet thread, I don't know much about what normal chick behaviour looks like.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Goddamn Particle posted:

REALLY hoping I'm just being alarmist here, but the chickie that was limping yesterday has been kinda curled up under the lamp in the corner for a while and not running around like the others...is she ok? :ohdear:

Apologies if I'm being THAT commenter on a pet thread, I don't know much about what normal chick behaviour looks like.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Just looked in and everyone seems to be v. jazzed about CORN! so maybe it's okay? I can't tell one shithead chick from the other anymore, though.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Yep, looks like loads of zooming around now. False alarm is the best outcome :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let there be light!! They're goin nuts!! Jumping on things!! A whole new world of fully lit chickens!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you guys, we were away all weekend.

We saw Pixy limping as well and were watching her, we checked her out and decided that someone had divebombed her and tweaked her leg a bit--she was otherwise perky, fat and eating. She's OK now. The chicks are up on the box edge a LOT now. Paprika apparantly spent a good deal of time outside the box toolin' around on the floor yesterday going by the amount of chick poop I had to clean up.

Alphonso is being a HUGE butt and chasing/pecking the other chicks, we may end up having to rehome him early...hoping time outs will do the trick, they've worked so far and he's straightened his poo poo out.

Weather permitting (as long as it's warm enough, it snowed again this weekend FFS) the brooder box light will be off during the day from now on, now you can see the actual color of the chicks without eyemelting too-bright light!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

In answer to the question, 'Why can't I see any chicks on Chickam?'

Because they are up on the edge of the box, watching themselves on the laptop. We've reached peak GoonChicks here, people.
Chicks watching chicks on Chickam. I think they are about to open a wormhole.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Because they are up on the edge of the box, watching themselves on the laptop. We've reached peak GoonChicks here, people.

:henget: Big time!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Oh my god!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I planned on getting fresh chick pics this week since they'vd changed so much, but our weather has regressed to dark & cloudy with snow, and there isn't enough light. I've tried it using artificial lighting and just get really lovely pics. The next sunny day I swear I'll grab new pics.

Meanwhile, the cam will be off for a bit so we can remove the chicks and let the little monsters run around the house on poop on everything, while I clean that stinky brooder box. :derp:

Whole LOTTA roosters this year, BTW.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's midnight...and now there is crowing. At least two of the boys are up on the edge of the box, lit from below by the light like some kind of B-grade poultry horror flick, making horrid little rooboy crowing sounds.
And freaking those down below them RIGHT the gently caress out.

Can't wait till they all start doing it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's midnight...and now there is crowing. At least two of the boys are up on the edge of the box, lit from below by the light like some kind of B-grade poultry horror flick, making horrid little rooboy crowing sounds.
And freaking those down below them RIGHT the gently caress out.

Can't wait till they all start doing it.

And you don't have pictures of this, why? :colbert:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Left looks kinda mean. Next one is the good natured one, then melancholy, then the introspective one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Left looks kinda mean. Next one is the good natured one, then melancholy, then the introspective one.

Similar energy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Breakfast Cluck

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
So how many roos definitely for now?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Been years since I last caught the thread. Time to spend my workday glancing at chicks.

We need an identification key or something. I want to refer to the little fellas by their name.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 29, 2019

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Been years since I last caught the thread. Time to spend my workday glancing at chicks.

We need an identification key or something. I want to refer to the little fellas by their name.

I have to get updated pics, but it's been snowing/really cloudy-dark here, and they keep turning out like crap. First sunny day we get I'll update, I promise. I didn't any pics of the midnight crowing because it was too dark.

Also, pardon my coughing & hacking, I've caught some kind of respiratory ick. And my voice sounds like that of a 5 pack a day smoker, diner waitress. "What'll it be, hon?"

EDIT: There are at LEAST 6 rooboys in there.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 30, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That breakfast club thing is still loving up my brain
every time I see it it's mind blown

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thunderstorm! If the feed goes down (we tend to lose power in T storms), that's what it is. If not, it'll be the chicks first thunderstorm so there will be much chickendrama.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Sorry the cam keeps going down. Between the chicks knocking down the came and YouTube having issues, it's being a pain.

Still doing the constant overcast/thunderstorm thing here, so no new pics yets, dammit. Two more weeks and the little stinkers get booted outdoors!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
How many confirmed rooboys are there this year?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How many confirmed rooboys are there this year?

At least 6.

YouTube has been having trouble today, Chickam is still down for me. Anyone else see it/not see it? Everything at our end is fine, upload is all good...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

At least 6.

YouTube has been having trouble today, Chickam is still down for me. Anyone else see it/not see it? Everything at our end is fine, upload is all good...

Working fine for me here in the UK.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's working fine for me too. Currently having a staring contest with this little dude

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Holy crap this dude is gigantic. Look at this dinosaur!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CJacobs posted:

They have grown up so fast!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

Oh no, the older chicks have gotten into their side again!

Wait... oh... :stare:.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Welp kids, it's been fun, but it's also been two months...and time for Chickam to end as we boot their little butts outside.

The chicks go outside today, for the next few days they'll be outside during the day and come back into the brooder box at night, then they go outside for good. So later on the outraged yells you'll hear are us trimming their wings as they unload tons of chicken drama.

5 out of the 6 black chicks are roosters, as is Alphonso the Love Squirrel (yes, I know, his name fits) and possibly one or two others. Any rooboys will be rehomed to good homes, so they'll be OK.

Meanwhile if the cam goes down--the chicks LOVE to watch themselves on the laptop screen and keep jumping on it, changing settings, shutting down the feed...
Weedcat lives on through his grandchildren.

EDIT: Finally, new chick pics! Sorry, it was overcast and snowing right up until about a week ago and I couldn't get decent pictures. But here they are, along with guesses as to who is mom/dad: https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-chickam-2019-chicks-are-two-months.html

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 16, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm going to get a name picked next year.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Weedcat lives on through his grandchildren.
He was the best.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Thus closes the circle of life. Thanks again!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The important thing is that Wooster turned out to be a rooster :allears:.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Go forth, good dinosaurs, and prosper.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait what happened to Weedcat? Old age? Illness? Dinner?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait what happened to Weedcat? Old age? Illness? Dinner?

Weedcat passed away from a weird growth in his neck. We had him necropsied, the guy who did it said it was actually a rare thing for a rooster to die of, and Weeds had TWO of them, side by side. He used the case to write up a paper he hoped to publish. I said go ahead, my only request was that he use my rooster's full name: Weedcat, His Majesty King Fluffypants.

Y'know...for scientific accuracy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Weedcat passed away from a weird growth in his neck. We had him necropsied, the guy who did it said it was actually a rare thing for a rooster to die of, and Weeds had TWO of them, side by side. He used the case to write up a paper he hoped to publish. I said go ahead, my only request was that he use my rooster's full name: Weedcat, His Majesty King Fluffypants.

Y'know...for scientific accuracy.

Did they? :suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

... my rooster's full name: Weedcat, His Majesty King Fluffypants.
That's a good great name.