Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Everyone's favorite horny devil is back on May 8th. After an unexpected and merciless execution at the hands of Archvillain Fox; Lucifer was cancelled at the end of season 3, despite ending on a huge cliffhanger. Luckily; after a tremendous outpouring of grief the world over, the show was saved by Netflix. While the showrunners have said there won't be too many changes to the show we love now that it's on Netflix; we can expect more adult content (read: Nudity) and more compact 10 episode seasons, which will hopefully improve the show even further than Tom Ellis' handsome arsecheeks. The season will drop in 2 five episode batches, separated by a 'Mid Season Break'.

Have a Teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5QBmphmLbc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I love this show. I think Netflix is the best thing that could possibly have happened to it. You just know that Fox was holding it back. I can't wait to see what they do now that they don't need to have one hand tied behind their backs.

Also it's great that I'll be able to binge 5 episodes in one sitting. It feels very Lucifer. Like a giant orgy of television excess.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jomo posted:

Started watching it a few weeks ago and just finished season 3 last night. So glad it's continuing ! Haven't been hooked like this to a TV show in a long time.

I must say I kind of wish they kept the more darker psychological aspects the first episodes of season 1 had, where Decker was becoming disturbed with what she was seeing (of Lucifer's powers) but couldn't explain them. But I guess that wasn't the tone and direction they were aiming for with the show.

Regardless of what the show runners have said in the past; I’m quite confident that fox played a role in making sure the show didn’t stray too far from ‘procedural + twist’

I’m excited for the new season because the move to both Netflix and short seasons has the potential to be a huge leap forward for the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anybody know what time the episodes drop?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m probably going to binge it. I would assume the general Netflix show thread rules apply. All episode specific commentary should be spoiler tagged; with a reference as to which episodes you’re spoilering.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Even though this is now a Netflix original, they’re editing it like it’s on fox still. Is it being broadcast outside the US on some other channel?e

Edit: okay this maze scene in episode 3 is simply amazing

Not as far as I know. I think the show runners said they aren’t going to mess with the format too much, at least at first. Going to start watching in about half an hour. I’ll be very interested to see how the production values have changed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bits and pieces give it away. The (episode 1 minor spoiler) action scene at the start of episode 1 is more brutal and visceral than anything I recall this show doing before also the nudity of course. I kinda get the impression that they have more money - I don't know if it's just a placebo effect but the look of the show feels more expensive somehow. And i noticed they have the budget to show Amenadiel flying in and landing, rather than what they always did before with angels, where they would appear and disappear off camera.

Also I had read that the season would be released in 2 blocks of 5 episodes but we seem to have all ten.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's subtle, but the show just looks richer. And you get an extra 5-6 mins per episode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lol at lucifer's pun in episode 5 He got tired

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just finished. That season was insane, holy poo poo. The quality leap moving to netflix was like night and day. And that finale. I'm more eager for season 5 than I was for season 4.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I feel like the logical next place for Dan is to bring him in on 'the truth'. I think it will be very entertaining when he finds out.

In fact; the best way to do it would be to have him killed (maybe by some supernatural force; to justify a resurrection of some kind? or a deep coma? I think it's been established you can go to hell/heaven when your body is technically still alive like that dirty cop from season 1?) and then have him appear in Hell only for lucifer to see him and give him poo poo about it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 24, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Only one more? That’s a shame. I suppose at least they know from the outset, so they can plan for it properly. This show could have comfortably gone for a couple more though.

I hope dad shows up. There’s tremendous comedy potential in having lucifer introduce a dude as his father to a mixed audience of say Chloe and someone else like Dan or Ella who isn’t in the know.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Praise Dad!

16 episodes is a long season by Netflix standards though. I would have thought at this point they would have just announced they'd decided on an extra season.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 29, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

During the fox seasons it was very much a standard procedural with glimmers of something more (the supernatural B plots, and lucifer being lucifer). In season 4 with the move to Netflix it becomes a very different show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you really wanted you could read the episode plot summaries on Wikipedia. That would give you an adequate rundown of the season long storyline. I’d probably watch the last few episodes of the season and the first few though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This is correct. 25 and 26 were originally being held back for the next season, then fox cancelled the show and just aired them.

They don’t fit into the continuity properly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's been rumoured that Lucifer will be appearing in the arrowverse Crisis on Infinite Earths event. https://fullcirclecinema.com/2019/10/12/tom-ellis-lucifer-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Necrotizer F posted:

Oh please Dad, let him have a scene with Matt Ryan as John Constantine

You're in luck, that's exactly what the leaked photo showed!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm not optimistic about anyone other than Lucifer himself crossing over sadly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That's outstanding news.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ellis has never been anything other than overwhelmingly enthusiastic about the show and the character so it seems a bit of a stretch to me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Show might outlast the forums at this point.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Excellent news. I shall watch it directly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Reminder: Season 5 part 1 dropping August 21. We'll be having one sexy devil on our screen again really soon now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

IT'S HAPPENING!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

So how long before we can change the thread title to Lieutenant ¡Diablo! Season 5

We can't have spoilers in the thread title but it would be good to have it changed to reflect season 5.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I can't believe how much Trixie's grown.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I presume that this Lucifer imposter thing is going to keep going the whole released bunch of episodes?

Not sure if you wanted an actual spoilery answer but here it is, at least as far as episode 6: not really, Chloe works it out by the end of episode 2, and then he fades into the background. He appears to be the big bad of the season but in more of a 'working in the background to sir up poo poo' kinda way. Lucifer gives him a big scar across the face after he's caught the first time so he can't impersonate him any more.

I was really worried about that plotline when I saw the trailer, because I absolutely hate watching any sort of plots revolving around protagonists being impersonated by other people or framed for things. but it looks like they're taking it in another direction thankfully.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Episode 8 spoilers.

Well that was obvious. I knew something was wrong about him the moment he first appeared on screen

Edit: Holy crap I just finished the episodes and I was not expecting that.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 22, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yep, season 5 part 2 (another 8 episodes I believe) and then a final season 6. Netflix basically threw money at them and asked for a final final season, apparently the ratings on the show are insanely good.

Honestly they can keep it going as long as Supernatural for all I care. It's a fun show.

I read in an article that at least in North America, Lucifer is the highest rated Netflix show of all time. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this time next year we find out they managed to negotiate a surprise 7th season. At a minimum I hope they end up extending season 6 into two 8 episode parts like they did for season 5. 8 episodes is a reasonable length for a netflix show so it kinda feels like season 5 is two seasons rather than one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We still have the second half of season 5 first. Personally I’m hoping for a miracle seventh season; dad willing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

If true that seems really soon to me but hell yeah I'll take it!

It’s actually later than I was expecting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Now I want to know if they’re going to come up with some in universe explanation for the musical like buffy or the arrowverse crossover did.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Do we really want arrowverse Cupid on the show? She was kind of annoying.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

edit: nvm

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

newts posted:

Anyone know when the second half of the season will air?

It's not fair that I have to sit through my husband's lovely show (Cobra Kia) and he doesn't have to sit through mine :colbert:

Soon. However they appear to be using the Valve-Blizzard definition of the word.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

loving finally. Later than I was expecting but I'm eagerly looking forward to it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Oh my Dad... This is going to be excellent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Holy poo poo they need to win all the awards for that musical episode that was incredible. I want a musical every episode.

Also I'd never even considered the fact that technically Dan had an affair with God's wife. I can see how that would be awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what am I supposed to make of that musical episode? The implication is that God is a twat and pretty cavalier in regards to other people's free-will.

pretty sure this was at the very least strongly hinted at in that episode, but it's made abundantly clear in later ones - He's in the early stages of some sort of divine being dementia and losing control of his powers. He was doing it accidentally and trying to cover it up