Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

is it possible that this is an exploit payload and that's how it looks on non-vulnerable phones?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alien invasion was supposed to be September, they're jumping around with the script too much :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ymgve posted:

is it possible that this is an exploit payload and that's how it looks on non-vulnerable phones?

anything is possible, but i'd say its more likely something got hosed up by the spit and twine that underlies wireless messaging

that or someone pasted something in from word.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ymgve posted:

look who forgot they subscribed to Zalgo alerts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ymgve posted:

I saw an explanation on twitter that the GSM encoding could literally miss a bit and turn "t " into "h<control code>" and hey presto buffer overflow but I don't know how accurate that is. GSM uses absolutely garbage CRCs so it checks out in my mind

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/cdespinosa/status/1268760428903104518?s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

already gone

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

ymgve posted:

Looks like a bit flip, or a malformed continuation header. I tried to decode it; I ended up going down a rabbit hole.

Did you know that between SMS and MMS there was EMS? and that it had it's own vector graphics format. Wireless Vector Graphics. I have yet to find a reference to anyone actually implementing it anywhere. but it's still floating around, and the last change to the spec was in 2016 (although the byzantine labirynth that is the 3gpp specs may have me a tad confused.) I am now determined(-ish) to track down a phone capable of sending/receiving EMS message with a wireless vector graphic in it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

already gone

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Yeah this probably disappeared as it looks to be a false ID

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
ya it looks like it was a false positive. however it still stands that the real security gently caress up is posting your location data in to a publicly viewable website

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kuvo posted:

ya it looks like it was a false positive. however it still stands that the real security gently caress up is posting your location data in to a publicly viewable website

Isn't that literally the purpose of social media and other tracking apps?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No, the purpose of social media and other tracking apps is to build an advertising profile for targeted mind control.

Encouraging you to make your private information public so it can be slurped into the advertising database is one strategy to accomplish this goal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pseudorandom name posted:

No, the purpose of social media and other tracking apps is to build an advertising profile for targeted mind control.

Encouraging you to make your private information public so it can be slurped into the advertising database is one strategy to accomplish this goal.

it’s generally in the interests of those doing the collection to have exclusive access to the corpus, though, and not to have it generally available

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We determined this wasn't him

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

"Good workout, really nice weather. Had to stop to beat up a kid but I still got a PR on the segment!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fins posted:

Did you know that between SMS and MMS there was EMS? and that it had it's own vector graphics format. Wireless Vector Graphics. I have yet to find a reference to anyone actually implementing it anywhere. but it's still floating around, and the last change to the spec was in 2016 (although the byzantine labirynth that is the 3gpp specs may have me a tad confused.) I am now determined(-ish) to track down a phone capable of sending/receiving EMS message with a wireless vector graphic in it.

EMS was definitely implemented. No idea about WVG.
Another ex-Motorolan pointed me towards T720 which is a 2002 featurephone that according to gsmarena has "EMS 5.0".

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Used to work with a Bell Labs guy who worked on the signaling for ISDN and some of the stuff it used was really cool, makes me want to gently caress around with some of that equipment. No SecFucks here, but it would be fun to deep dive.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

taqueso posted:

"Good workout, really nice weather. Had to stop to beat up a kid but I still got a PR on the segment!"

I was confused by this post because I use PB for personal best and PR for git Pull Request.

Edit: Oh wait I actually have secfuck news.

The Dutch national health organisation has this internet form they ask volunteers to fill in. They don't ask your name but they do want your postal code, birth year and e-mail address. And since Dutch postal codes only are like 20 houses by codes, that's probably enough to identify people exactly if they want to. They also ask a whole bunch of medical questions, whether you have any Corona symptoms and so on. They use this as one of the many data sources to see how the disease is spreading.

Anyway, that's been open since the start of the epidemic here in March, and now it turns out that if you just increment the ID number in the form's URL one by one you get to see what other people filled in including the aforementioned personal information.

The journalist built a quick script as a PoC and got 50 people's form responses in a minute or two.

At the very least, the journalist told the organisation first who took the form offline, and also apparently the form results were moved from the web server to another system nightly, so you couldn't use this to get data more than 24 hrs old.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 7, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Are WeChat passwords all handled in plaintext?

We're kind of in a cold war so it might be a made up story, but it seems easy enough to independently try it out yourself

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We're kind of in a cold war so it might be a made up story, but it seems easy enough to independently try it out yourself

sure, you just need a friend who already uses wechat

hope they don’t get banned too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
WeChat passwords could be handled completely competently, just that changing the password gives you the opportunity to detect badwords.txt

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The twitter thread links to a reddit thread where 1. someone claims to have tried the same but they weren't banned and 2. someone suspects that the Chinese firewall just has the keys to wechat's SSL certificates so they can MiTM the change request and then it's them who ask Wechat to ban the user.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

~Coxy posted:

WeChat passwords could be handled completely competently, just that changing the password gives you the opportunity to detect badwords.txt

yup, it's not even that uncommon to run them against a list of known bad/compromised passwords and then slap the user with a "no, stupid, don't use passw0rd! as your password"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It is entirely possible that the password being requested also goes to another service on the backend as part of its journey for censor checking without needing to be stored permanently; the censor just has to press the "OK/NOT OK" button and not ok calls the state's WeChat API for permabanning someone.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hs451PfFzQ

using Bayesian analysis on the Zelda Windwaker RNG to write tools to help speedrunners get through the battleship minigame.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I was setting up a new machine and came up with a dumb question.

Generally it’s acceptable to have one private ssh key per client for all services. This, after all, is just a private key to identify myself as a client so it makes sense to just be the same key everywhere. But I like the idea of generating separate keys for separate services, but it seems kind of unnecessary when I think about it. As long as I’m generating a key from >512 bits and everything then I don’t really have to worry about using a single key.

What is this thread's opinion on that?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There are reasons not to use the same key everywhere beyond limiting scope if a key is compromised, including but not limited to: https://rushter.com/blog/public-ssh-keys/

Anyway, OpenSSH is deprecating RSA keys in a future release.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

PCjr sidecar posted:

There are reasons not to use the same key everywhere beyond limiting scope if a key is compromised, including but not limited to: https://rushter.com/blog/public-ssh-keys/

Thanks for the warning.

Also this amused me: https://blog.filippo.io/ssh-whoami-filippo-io/

Someone apparently downloaded all of the public keys from Github.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

PCjr sidecar posted:

Anyone happen to know if there are options for using other key types on a Yubikey 5?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1270019914720514048

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cool cool
https://twitter.com/__agwa/status/1270054737317113857

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

stallmand again

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

CmdrRiker posted:

As long as I’m generating a key from >512 bits

if you're using rsa this isn't nearly long enough. anyone can factor it for a few dollars

for comparison, CAB baseline requirements require 2048 bit rsa

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cybrancyborg posted:

Anyone happen to know if there are options for using other key types on a Yubikey 5?

when i got a new yubikey for my usb-c laptop (p sure that's a yubikey 5 model) i generated ed25519 keys on it and it's fine with that :shrug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

As long as I’m generating a key from >512 bits

since it came up anyway; you should also possibly have some of the bits be non-zero.

though i guess imposing that restriction removes some randomness.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

because of some complicated rotation thing they were trying to do, which apparently didn’t actually rotate anything anyway

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
ROT-26 cipher duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

because of some complicated rotation thing they were trying to do, which apparently didn’t actually rotate anything anyway

It sounds like once it rotated it was OK but before then it was using 0

Session resumption is such a footgun, though gnutls really went out of their way to make it especially footguny with the custom TOTP thing