Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

that's not what they meant when they called you poo poo-for-brains

that felt really mean i'm sorry!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What if it's like, "put on this eeg and stare at this picture of boobs"

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Mustache Ride posted:

What if it's like, "put on this eeg and stare at this picture of boobs"

ill do that without the eeg if they ask nicely

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

sb hermit posted:

I wonder how effective this would be as an actual authentication mechanism. Like, somehow deriving a code with a sufficient bit length with enough entropy by converting brainwaves at a specific point in time or a shifting window when instructed to remember a memory or scent. Or just trying to empty your mind entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-b-4Ni5-FQ

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dpkg chopra posted:

that's not what they meant when they called you poo poo-for-brains

rude! :mad:

dpkg chopra posted:

that felt really mean i'm sorry!!!!!!!!

i forgive you :tipshat:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Fraserwtt/status/1527327516997738509

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nonce finance is pretty funny

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZjXYaAbBVw

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao this dude

https://twitter.com/trianglman/status/1527395054142332928

yep don't bother looking it up, it's probably just silly cockney slang

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol oh no notncultural insensitivity towards the loving brits

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
I'm not sure cultural sensitivity the right term. No British person is getting offended over some American's decision to call their company "paedo buxx". It just makes the person doing it look really stupid. Be my guest

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the term “nonce” for one time use predates the dumb brits version of it.

they can go kick rocks

mystes
May 31, 2006

It somehow never occurred to me that nonce was literally just an abbreviation of "number once"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Adolf was once a fine German name but I'd think twice about naming my son that. Because of the implication

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

It somehow never occurred to me that nonce was literally just an abbreviation of "number once"

the pronunciation doesn’t really lead you that way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

to be clear, the "[something] once" meaning is centuries old and has been a term of art in cryptography since that became a ting. the british slang for pedo is roughly the age of an average yosposter

idk it doesnt offend me. to me it feels on the level of someone using the danish word "slut" for "the end" but i might be wrong? (no slutshaming tia)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 20, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

to be clear, the "[something] once" meaning is centuries old and has been a term of art in cryptography since that became a ting. the british slang for pedo is roughly the age of an average yosposter

idk it doesnt offend me. to me it feels on the level of someone using the danish word "slut" for "the end" but i might be wrong? (no slutshaming tia)

in that it'll make people giggle and go "lol they don't know do they tehe"? yeah it's basically that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the case of the crypto company using it was much more on the nose though since cryptocurrency people are known to have opinions about the age of consent

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

the case of the crypto company using it was much more on the nose though since cryptocurrency people are known to have opinions about the age of consent
A happy coincidence, I guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im still mad that "crypto" now means "dunning krugerrands" instead of "cryptography." makes conversations at cons much more likely to take a left turn into stupid poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shame Boy posted:

in that it'll make people giggle and go "lol they don't know do they tehe"? yeah it's basically that

yeah, like that. its a silly misunderstanding. i would use the word in my code (if i wrote my code in danish), but not in my company name, yea?

Shame Boy posted:

lol

Achmed Jones posted:

im still mad that "crypto" now means "dunning krugerrands" instead of "cryptography." makes conversations at cons much more likely to take a left turn into stupid poo poo

you forgot about cyber :crying_eagle:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's kind of like forgetting about dre, but not as severe, right?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

:hmmyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Achmed Jones posted:

that's kind of like forgetting about dre, but not as severe, right?

nobody forgets about dre

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even better when you run into some VP who thinks the 'Crypto' in 'Cryptocurrency' means its 'secure'

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

just like the original meaning of twat is "two apples" and then you say "sure I like to eat twat"

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

it's usually a right turn tbf

mystes
May 31, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Even better when you run into some VP who thinks the 'Crypto' in 'Cryptocurrency' means its 'secure'
Ethereum has shown that crypto can sometimes be quite good at permanently securing money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

spankmeister posted:

just like the original meaning of twat is "two apples" and then you say "sure I like to eat twat"

that doesnt seem right

i would assume its like twain, ie "someting that is split (in two)", no apples

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
pretty funny miscommunication. i can definitely see why brits would be very concerned about new methods of nonce identification and verification tho

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mystes posted:

Ethereum has shown that crypto can sometimes be quite good at permanently securing money

store of value!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mystes posted:

"Its so secure, you'll never get it back!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rjmccall posted:

pretty funny miscommunication. i can definitely see why brits would be very concerned about new methods of nonce identification and verification tho

now i get it lol

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

dpkg chopra posted:

Not much of a turn... more of a slight veer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ps cryptofascist also gets a new meaning under that light

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rjmccall posted:

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

rjmccall posted:

i heard it was no sweat

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

with good hardware randomizers being standard, at least no one is going to bother with emphasizing nonce generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nonces are heavily used in IKE. In fact, they can be used to generate cookies.