Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/26/facebook-secret-project-snooped-snapchat-user-traffic/?guccounter=1

quote:

After Zuckerberg’s email, the Onavo team took on the project and a month later proposed a solution: so-called kits that can be installed on iOS and Android that intercept traffic for specific subdomains, “allowing us to read what would otherwise be encrypted traffic so we can measure in-app usage,” read an email from July 2016. “This is a ‘man-in-the-middle’ approach.”

wait what the gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i was just reading about this this morning. this story is loving crazy and i was amazed it wasnt all over this forum yet

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good coverage of it here:
https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1772459601356583268

https://nitter.poast.org/jason_kint/status/1772459601356583268

quote:

Whoa. Facebook had a secret "Project Ghostbusters" (get it?) which allegedly was to decrypt "man-in-the-middle" style Snapchat traffic to copy it. Yellow highlight indicates redactions just lifted in nine unsealed plaintiffs briefs in private antitrust lawsuit. Wild stuff. /1

quote:

A lot of new stuff. There was lots of reporting (including Apple threats to boot Facebook) at the time on Facebook's software and Onavo acquisition allowing it to "spy" on competitive apps but I recall the decryption was written as a hypothetical. CEO email kickstarting it. /2

quote:

You can read the press back in Jan 2019 spoon fed by Facebook PR to friendlies with no mentions of decrypting SSL then compare to this internal email below sent to Facebook's most senior executives - "currently includes SSL decryption"... /3

quote:

And the allegations do get worse...seeing the underlying evidence at trial is important. "The company's highest-level engineering executives through the IAAP Program was a legal, technical, and security nightmare...'I can't think of a good argument why this is okay.'" /12

quote:

Here is the full unsealed docket item including the allegations against Facebook for "wiretapping" Snapchat including the Zuckerberg emails. /6

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.369872/gov.uscourts.cand.369872.735.0.pdf

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drat lol

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

mark fuckerberg strikes again

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah that just sounds like what onavo protect was being used for when the 'vpn' was pushed. i guess the news part is knowing that it was targeted against snapchat rather than it being heavily implied? apple hit them back in 2018 over it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

and I thought meta was the dumbest thing zuck had ever championed but this takes the cake

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

“this is a privacy and pr nightmare! the only thing we can do to cover it up is to make an even more ridiculous and dumb business decision that people will focus on”

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
ah so I gues the "kits" bit is just a name for plugins for facebooks vpn app, not something that is supported by ios and android natively

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's slightly unclear from the article how icky this was because mining data from what is marketed as a generic vpn, even with no mitm, is imo a trillion times worse than paying a small number of people to send all their traffic through something that's specifically labelled as a "facebook research" app that reads all your data and it's not totally clear what people were being told

It still seems problematic if they were collecting data on teens, but like, hypothetically (and this is probably giving facebook way too much credit) if the app store description itself was vague just to evade app store policies, but with respect to the actual user they paid, they were very clear on what was being collected, and they had parental consent and only collected data on snapchat and not like personal information it might not be as bad

If they were tricking people into installing a root certificate without them understanding what that meant then that is way worse

Edit: Also I don't think this is new information and I think people are just looking at documents that were just released from the class action suit and thinking that out of context they might sound worse than the previously known information, which they probably aren't

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
huh the facebook vpn people thought was just to steal data was used to steal data

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mystes posted:

Edit: Also I don't think this is new information and I think people are just looking at documents that were just released from the class action suit and thinking that out of context they might sound worse than the previously known information, which they probably aren't

ya i remember reading about that vpn lawsuit a while ago but the newly de-redacted(?) details is good info

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mystes posted:

It still seems problematic if they were collecting data on teens, but like, hypothetically (and this is probably giving facebook way too much credit) if the app store description itself was vague just to evade app store policies, but with respect to the actual user they paid, they were very clear on what was being collected, and they had parental consent and only collected data on snapchat and not like personal information it might not be as bad

This was my first reaction. On second thought though I realized due to living in hell the user's consent doesn't matter because the data doesn't belong to them, it belongs to snapchat and the other app owners. Meta wasn't stealing from the users, they were stealing from businesses. That's why they could actually face consequences.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Salt Fish posted:

This was my first reaction. On second thought though I realized due to living in hell the user's consent doesn't matter because the data doesn't belong to them, it belongs to snapchat and the other app owners. Meta wasn't stealing from the users, they were stealing from businesses. That's why they could actually face consequences.

Yuuuuuupp

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Salt Fish posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why is Zuckerberg such a huge piece of poo poo?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Last Chance posted:

we take these truths to be self evident

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Last Chance posted:

always has been 👩‍🚀

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

ya i remember reading about that vpn lawsuit a while ago but the newly de-redacted(?) details is good info

it is simply dacted now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the docs so nice they dacted them twice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I mean it's not like they are going to face legal consequences for collecting data on snapchat exactly, and the documents got released as a result of a class action suit that is about collecting data on users, so I don't think that's completely true in some sense.

But it does feel like there's something weird about the whole situation? It's sort of like an "everything is securities law" type situation where there's a disconnect between the actual problem and what they are getting trouble for.

Specifically, it seems weird that the collection of users' (and minors') data is only is being treated as a problem here because, even if they had consent and were paying people for it, because it was targeting another company's app, they had to use a somewhat sketchy-looking approach to decrypt traffic and evade app store policies that use protection of users mainly as an excuse to restrict competition

Whereas, for example, presumably an ISP can do whatever the gently caress it wants and because it's not trying to evade an app store policy it won't become an issue

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

Whereas, for example, presumably an ISP can do whatever the gently caress it wants and because it's not trying to evade an app store policy it won't become an issue

on the other hand, an ISP is not installing a root ca on your device so that they can decrypt and inspect your traffic

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
they would be if they thought they could get away with it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Last Chance posted:

billionaires are pieces of poo poo, tech bros are pieces of poo poo, and 20-year-olds (where his emotional development was frozen by $$$) are pieces of poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

post hole digger posted:

the docs so nice they dacted them twice

:orks: more dacta!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i have not been following the latest unredactions here were they really installing a CA certificate and re-terminating the TLS traffic or were they installing some kind of MDM profile that enabled a traditional HTTP proxy for particular hostnames

i guess it doesn't really matter all that much but one of them fucks with the CA/WebPKI ecosystem and the other is just a standard enterprise feature used in a hilariously inappropriate fashion

seems kind of mindboggling that either of these approaches would be something allowed in the apple or google ecosystems, that's like just malware? like there just shouldn't be interfaces to control this poo poo programmatically from random mobile apps

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they were using an Apple enterprise developer account, which, yes, is not supposed to be used for that. but Apple isn’t going to audit your IT department to make sure the private app you deploy to your employees managed devices isn’t doing shady poo poo. one reason they were so pissed when they found out about it

so they were definitely doing #2 regardless but I don’t o ow the technical details of the Snapchat snooping

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
https://youtu.be/WkLvpxImRGw?si=uV0D64rpXDP11ceg

I sub to this guy… hope he’s not a pos cause I know nothing about him. but I feel it’s a good explanation.
now to figure out how to explain it to family members

mystes
May 31, 2006

shackleford posted:

i have not been following the latest unredactions here were they really installing a CA certificate and re-terminating the TLS traffic or were they installing some kind of MDM profile that enabled a traditional HTTP proxy for particular hostnames

i guess it doesn't really matter all that much but one of them fucks with the CA/WebPKI ecosystem and the other is just a standard enterprise feature used in a hilariously inappropriate fashion

seems kind of mindboggling that either of these approaches would be something allowed in the apple or google ecosystems, that's like just malware? like there just shouldn't be interfaces to control this poo poo programmatically from random mobile apps
I might have misunderstood, but it sounded like they weren't "controlling this poo poo programmatically from random mobile apps" but rather they had an app that implemented a vpn in order to MITM the connections and they asked people to install it and add a CA cert manually

The dubiousness kind of depends on what they told users but if you want users to participate in research that involves mitming ssl connections from mobile apps, unless you want to have them install a hacked app (which probably isn't an option on ios) or jailbreak their phone, this is probably the one method that works, and if you did the mitming on the device and ensured that the data it collected didnt' have any personal information, it isn't inherently unethical (not saying this was necessarily the case for facebook)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 28, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's also more confusing because I guess they bought an existing vpn app but also made their facebook research app which they specifically asked people to install. To be clear if they were collecting data from people who thought they were using a normal vpn that's gross, but paying people to allow them to do research to understand snapchat is not necessary gross. I haven't read about the details of who they were collecting what from, but some of the articles seem potentially misleading in terms of conflating these things, which is probably based on what the plaintiff's lawyers are saying in the lawsuit.

This is partly facebook's fault for doing this in an intentionally confusing way but at least some of that confusingness seems to have been intended to be directed at Apple which is not really problematic and I feel like there could be an attempt here by the plaintiffs' lawyers to kind of make it sound like that confusingess was directed at the users to make it shadier than it is and I"m not sure whether or not that was actually the case

Trying to lie to apple is imo not an issue but if they lied to the people they were collecting the data from that's a big issue. It is necessary to distinguish those things and it is not helpful if people intentionally don't do that because ignoring the distinction makes it easier to be like "oh my god facebook was stealing all the internet traffic of all facebook users they should go to jail" that way (if they're doing that; I"m too busy right now to actually try to look into whether they are)

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

namlosh posted:

https://youtu.be/WkLvpxImRGw?si=uV0D64rpXDP11ceg

I sub to this guy… hope he’s not a pos cause I know nothing about him. but I feel it’s a good explanation.
now to figure out how to explain it to family members
This is implying that Facebook was MITMing all traffic from the Onavo vpn but it doesn't sound like this was possible? Also it keeps saying "you" for a while to make it sound like it was all facebook users before explaining that it was only people who (at a minimum) installed the vpn app, so I would highly recommend not sending it to random family members

The original article said (imo it sounds like it is written intentionally misleadingly):

quote:

Facebook's IAAP Program used nation-state-level hacking technology developed by the company's Onavo team, in which Facebook paid contractors (including teens) to designate Facebook a trusted "root" Certificate Authority on their mobile devices, then generated fake digital certificates to redirect secure Snapchat analytics traffic (and later, analytics from YouTube and Amazon) from Snapchat's servers to Onavo's; decrypted these analytics and used them for competitive gain, including to inform Facebook's product strategy; reencrypted them; and sent them up to Snapchat's servers as though it came straight from Snapchat's app, with Facebook's Social Advertising competitor none the wiser.

I don't like the way this is written because when you read "Facebook's IAAP Program used nation-state-level hacking technology developed by the company's Onavo team, in which Facebook paid contractors (including teens) to designate Facebook a trusted "root" Certificate Authority " it initially sounds for a second like they became a trusted CA but when you read it closely it sounds like they were paying specific people to manually install their CA cert

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

minor entrust updates:
on the topic of: Entrust: Delayed revocation of clientAuth TLS Certificates without serverAuth EKU

Paul van Brouwershaven posted:

We are working with 114 customer accounts to revoke and re-issue 1,176 affected clientAuth TLS Certificates without the serverAuth EKU. Here is a summary of our progress as of this posting:
137 of 1,176 certificates have been revoked or expired.
208 certificates have been re-issued with revocation pending.
30 out of 114 customer accounts have fully remediated the issue (certificates re-issued and old certificates revoked).

We will be providing weekly updates on our progress until this issue is fully remediated.
and on: Entrust: Late CPS Update

Ryan Dickson posted:

Hi Bruce,

One question about the timeline disclosed in the report and data we see in CT.

As I understand them, the EV Guidelines (Section 9.7 (3)) require all EV subscriber certificates to include the Issuer’s EV policy identifier (in this case 2.16.840.1.114028.10.1.2).

The timeline disclosed above indicates that for about 11 days, Entrust’s EV TLS CP OID was removed from TLS certificate issuance profiles. During that time, it looks like Entrust issued about 2,000 EV certificates without the Entrust EV TLS CP OID.

We also observe at least 4 EV certificates without the Entrust EV TLS CP OID issued after 9/22/23, which seems at odds with the disclosed timeline.

In any event, some of these certificates were recently revoked (e.g., https://crt.sh/?q=0fd0adac015b97aaae3ae8d97335de6c37bcfa155749a7f7434eee1b3196edb9 was revoked on 3/21/24), presumably necessitated by the absence of cPSURI (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1883843).

Can you share:

if you intend to open a separate incident report for the other issue described here (i.e., EV certificates issued without Entrust's EV TLS CP OID), like you did for https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1886467, since it appears to be a separate and distinct issue? If not, how do you recommend this is recorded? I'm asking because complete and transparent reporting creates opportunities for others to learn from the incident and avoid the same root cause, while also promoting continuous improvement.
how this corpus of certificates missing Entrust’s EV TLS CP OID intersects (or doesn't) with those disclosed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1883843?

Thanks,
Ryan
they also said they'd give an update on not replying to reports within 24 hrs soon ... 9 days ago: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1885754

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

This is implying that Facebook was MITMing all traffic from the Onavo vpn but it doesn't sound like this was possible?

I think it was possible, if you had users install a device management profile (typically used for MDM). that was something that VPNs had to do back then because it was the only way of setting the networking parts up correctly, but enterprises—and IIRC from when this was revealed in 2018, Onavo-at-Facebook—could also use it to install an internal root for internally-issued certs

Onavo was then combining the VPN’s interception of traffic with the trusted root’s ability to issue certificates, to see all traffic in the clear (possibly avoiding the set of hostnames hardcoded into the browser’s high-value-target list, which insists on certs with a specified signature chain)

in iOS 16(?) Apple added a different system of profiles that let VPN applications manipulate the routing and virtual device pieces without letting them install a root, AIUI, so this would be harder to hide today

I think the enterprise developer account thing was something else, about test builds getting updated outside of the App Store flow (which the internal builds definitely did, and I guess they wanted a broader tester base)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ars has a good writeup of the details:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/facebook-secretly-spied-on-snapchat-usage-to-confuse-advertisers-court-docs-say/

it also says that people were paid to install the kits but under a 3rd party label and it was not clearly mentioned that facebook would be benefiting from the data

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03/netflix-ad-spend-led-to-facebook-dm-access-end-of-facebook-streaming-biz-lawsuit/

facebook letting netflix read private DMs for show recs

and people wonder why I don’t want to use whatsapp for anything important

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

where’s the detail about them being able to read DMs? it says they have access to the Titan API, but to access users’ “messaging app and non-app friends”. when I read that before I thought it was to let them send messages on the Netflix user’s behalf, to do things like watch parties or recommendation messages or whatever

is there something more somewhere about the DM access? very curious now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

where’s the detail about them being able to read DMs? it says they have access to the Titan API, but to access users’ “messaging app and non-app friends”. when I read that before I thought it was to let them send messages on the Netflix user’s behalf, to do things like watch parties or recommendation messages or whatever

It’s spread throughout the article but in particular there’s a part that reads:

quote:

By 2013, Netflix had begun entering into a series of “Facebook Extended API” agreements, including a so-called “Inbox API” agreement that allowed Netflix programmatic access to Facebook’s users' private message inboxes, in exchange for which Netflix would “provide to FB a written report every two weeks that shows daily counts of recommendation sends and recipient clicks by interface, initiation surface, and/or implementation variant (e.g., Facebook vs. non-Facebook recommendation recipients).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The article doesn't say that any of the released documents say that, it has a quote from a letter released by the plaintiffs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sb hermit posted:

It’s spread throughout the article but in particular there’s a part that reads:

What the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is that read access or write access? the inbox API I remember was just for sending messages to people directly (vs the messenger-for-business-pages stuff), which is why it was called that, but it might have changed