Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Url is giving some chuck tingle vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Pwnded in the butt by my cloud costs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I kinda feel like an alert for "month x spend is 100*(month x-1)" should be on by default and maybe be a circuit breaker too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

I kinda feel like an alert for "month x spend is 100*(month x-1)" should be on by default and maybe be a circuit breaker too

"oh no it seems like you're paying too much money for our service might want to take a look at that" - no company ever

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volmarias posted:

One weird trick to eliminate libertarian cold calls
LMBO

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
at the same time "we'll put up reasonable obstacles to you shooting yourself in the foot that hard" would be an appealing bullet point

of course they did offering monitoring options and he didn't turn them on, lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Had a fun one this weekend: AWS EC2s hosting Windows servers running IIS hosting Wordpress sites. As far as we could tell, no indicators that the box was compromised, lots of the usual drive bys in the logs.

But somehow, somewhere, someone scraped an email password stored in the config files and was spamming phish from it. Granted, the devs had that password committed to their repo and it was in every deployment, so who knows where it got take from....

This was a recent acquisition too so a lot of devops stuff to clean up to address the findings.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i recently discovered that you can DoS someone's backups on hosts that scan with CLAMAV by just writing a string into the URL field so that it gets committed to the 404 log table.

the webhost sent a whole lot of very urgent emails telling me the site had been compromised and i needed to change all my credentials asap

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ars Technica posted:

Hactivists say they hacked Belarus rail system to stop Russian military buildup
If confirmed, the attack would be one of the first times ransomware has been used this way.

show me your secfuck face

Ars Technica posted:

At the time this post went live, several services on the railway’s website were unavailable. Online ticket purchases, for instance, weren’t working and instead returned the following message:

ATTENTION PASSENGERS!

For technical reasons, reference web-resources of the Belarusian Railways and services for issuing electronic travel documents are temporarily unavailable. To arrange travel and return electronic travel documents, please contact the ticket office. Currently, work is underway to restore the performance of the systems. Belarusian Railways apologizes for the inconvenience caused.

The representative said that besides ticketing and scheduling being disrupted, the cyberattack also affected freight trains.

Juan Andrés Guerrero-Saade, a principal threat researcher at security firm SentinelOne, said he was unable to confirm the ransomware attack but that the images provided appeared to confirm someone gained privileged access to Belarus Railway’s network.

“Taking it at face value, it's an interesting turn in the ransomware narrative,” he said in an interview. “Most of the time, we think of ransomware as a financial concern for enterprises and not as a tool for the underdog in what amounts to a revolutionary struggle.”

The Cyber Partisans representative said it wasn’t hard to access the Belarus Railway’s network.

"This network has many entry points and is not well isolated from the Internet,” the representative said. “Cyber partisans entered from one of these points and then opened many other entry points from within.”

Article has screenshots posted by the attackers as proof and more:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/01/hactivists-say-they-hacked-belarus-rail-system-to-stop-russian-military-buildup/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thread poll: where/how do you store 2fa backup codes and equivalent

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

so, a honeypot

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I have them printed out on paper at home.

I'm kind of thinking that there isn't much point to "backup codes" though and I should just print out the qr codes with the TOTP secrets and maybe store a securely encrypted copy in the cloud somewhere (separate from my passwords).

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i somewhat begrudgingly put them in my password manager. same with the qr codes that have the secret embedded

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

authy

e: oh backup codes, yeah those go in the keep rear end

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Inside Keepass in the comments for the associated account credentials. The Keepass DB gets copied to both my Google Drive and my NAS.

Authy on my phone for the 2FA tokens.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 25, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
e;dp

mystes posted:

I have them printed out on paper at home.

I'm kind of thinking that there isn't much point to "backup codes" though and I should just print out the qr codes with the TOTP secrets and maybe store a securely encrypted copy in the cloud somewhere (separate from my passwords).

Yeah and in most cases if I need to recover the 2FA there's alternative ways like Phone or Email to recover it, Steam being a good example. I think I've used a backup code to recover my 2FA all of once.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
sticky note on my monitor

unsecured webcam pointed at the sticky note in case i'm not home

(also shows entire monitor so i can tell if someone is sitting at my workstation)

(which is never locked)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
palm, with sharpie

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I just use Kesper North's login credentials.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kesper North posted:

sticky note on my monitor

unsecured webcam pointed at the sticky note in case i'm not home

(also shows entire monitor so i can tell if someone is sitting at my workstation)

(which is never locked)

lmao I made a ctf challenge once where you were supposed to find this exact thing but it was a webcam pointed at a server with a sticky note containing creds

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

"oh no it seems like you're paying too much money for our service might want to take a look at that" - no company ever

I’ve had multiple conversations with AWS employees whose entire job is to help people optimize their spending, and I haven’t done that much cloud stuff really.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol at the 2-3 yosposters who wanted to suck this domestic terrorist off after he pushed malware to npm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve had multiple conversations with AWS employees whose entire job is to help people optimize their spending, and I haven’t done that much cloud stuff really.

preemptively? like offering it if you seek it out is one thing but preemptively being like "hey we noticed you're giving us way too much money!" seems... odd...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they want to prevent the cloud sticker shock you get when you throw up a ton of VMs without planning that sit there mostly unused. my azure guy called me about it the other week. its also a sales channel to promote other services.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol "guys hey can we just trivialize loving around with critically important software components?

"...guys?"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if npm is critical to you, its your own fault and you deserve to get owned

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

preemptively? like offering it if you seek it out is one thing but preemptively being like "hey we noticed you're giving us way too much money!" seems... odd...

yeah they reached out periodically to offer help optimizing spend

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
the problem aws has is that most cloud migrations where the customer lifts their current architecture to the cloud are both the most valuable in terms of total spend and also the least sticky and the most likely to lose them business if competitors lower prices

aws cost analysis and cloud native architecture recommendations allows them to push the stickier services that might be cheaper to run but make it more expensive to migrate to another vendor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in addition to being stickier they’d much prefer you to have a bunch of lambdas being called because they can be scheduled anywhere in the az whereas your idling ec2 instance is actually some real percentage of a server sitting there that can run stiff for other customers until you have more requests

cheaper services generally map to stuff that’s easier for them so by architecting for cost you’re letting aws have more customers

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
modern devops is 80% knowing which aws instance to use, 15% using the the various kubernetes commands, and 5% copying code from stackoverflow

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im paid to know when we should stop using awscli commands and when to start using kubectl commands

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tankakern posted:

so, a honeypot

not really

btw how do you store your ssh keys

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

not really

btw how do you store your ssh keys

they are stored on a yubikey and a paper backup copy is made via https://www.jabberwocky.com/software/paperkey/ and turned into like 3-4 QR codes

mystes
May 31, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

they are stored on a yubikey and a paper backup copy is made via https://www.jabberwocky.com/software/paperkey/ and turned into like 3-4 QR codes
On linux, the native openssl u2f functionality works very well out of the box now. You can't back up the key that way but if you don't need gnupg, PIV, client-side certification functionality, or legacy yubikey keyboard emulation authentication, it might be cheaper/easier to simply buy two of the u2f only yubikeys, keep one somewhere safe, and copy both identity files everywhere.

Not sure how it is on windows though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 25, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PIV still makes me giggle each time it comes up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hmmm someone signed up for a tesco club card with my email so i reset their password

theres a phone number & card associated but i cant see them as that apparently requires 2fa via the card or phone

also the delivery address is a market place, and lol i can see the phone number there :thunk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

russian phone number? it starts 0789...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

russian phone number? it starts 0789...

british mobile phone numbers start with 07 for domestic purposes

07123 456789 becomes +44 7 123 456789 for international dialling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blinkz0rz posted:

the problem aws has is that most cloud migrations where the customer lifts their current architecture to the cloud are both the most valuable in terms of total spend and also the least sticky and the most likely to lose them business if competitors lower prices

aws cost analysis and cloud native architecture recommendations allows them to push the stickier services that might be cheaper to run but make it more expensive to migrate to another vendor

yeah and most lift/shift stuff just winds up kicking the can down the road if you have any involved modernization you might need to do. we do a lot of explaining that generic "move to kube! works on anything!" tools don't actually help you make your app work well

some people try to run full blown websphere in containers and wonder why their app doesn't work well in kubernetes