Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The career support ex-recruiter Linkedin sherpa that my bootcamp employs is real sweet. She asks us to utilize our existing social networks to set up informal coffee chats. These are chats about coffee, infosec, computer, employment, wfh setups, interview prep, or basically anything you would be willing to talk about listening to me read my two paragraph CV to you. Today, I will be posting up in the voice channel in the illustrious LAN Los Angeles discord and at anytime from 10:30am (est) to 1:00pm, then back again from 2:30pm to 4:00pm. I can display what coursework I am currently working on, sign off on any papers you have that require you have certain hours of mentorship or outreach, bullshit about the internet and engage with dumbconcepts ranging from Neopet adoptions to Wireshark filters .

Sometime in a few weeks I will post about a Honeypot that the course has us building, and I'm kinda hype about it. It's like a lil terrarium for the internet's most basic malware and thats kinda cyberpunk.

SA FORUM USERS OF LOS ANGELE Discord link expires in 7 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so... the discord is the honeypot, right?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
No, it's just a nice discord. Haven't gotten the instructions to build the honey pot yet. When I post the honey pot it will be p upfront because I would want things put in there.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

The career support ex-recruiter Linkedin sherpa that my bootcamp employs is real sweet. She asks us to utilize our existing social networks to set up informal coffee chats. These are chats about coffee, infosec, computer, employment, wfh setups, interview prep, or basically anything you would be willing to talk about listening to me read my two paragraph CV to you. Today, I will be posting up in the voice channel in the illustrious LAN Los Angeles discord and at anytime from 10:30am (est) to 1:00pm, then back again from 2:30pm to 4:00pm. I can display what coursework I am currently working on, sign off on any papers you have that require you have certain hours of mentorship or outreach, bullshit about the internet and engage with dumbconcepts ranging from Neopet adoptions to Wireshark filters .

Sometime in a few weeks I will post about a Honeypot that the course has us building, and I'm kinda hype about it. It's like a lil terrarium for the internet's most basic malware and thats kinda cyberpunk.

SA FORUM USERS OF LOS ANGELE Discord link expires in 7 days

this is the worst post in this thread

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait so this person's job is to help you get hired and her advice is "don't look at me, ask people you already know"?

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Achmed Jones posted:

wait so this person's job is to help you get hired and her advice is "don't look at me, ask people you already know"?

lol

no no you've got it all wrong. her job is "career support", which apparently consists of "idk, bother someone else. i'm on pinterest"

e: is pinterest even still a thing

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 11, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Crime on a Dime posted:

this is the worst post in this thread

jesus christ it took me a couple of reads of it to realize you're right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what if we outsourced the hustle culture rise and grind

"linkedin sherpa" is insane cultural ignorance as well as just being wrong. they dont hire sherpas because theyre smart, they hire sherpas to do all the heavy hauling

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also, the honeypot is the bootcamp. you already built it and got owned, op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i really loving hate that "good at reeling in chumps on linkedin" is now a viable career path

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

lol

haha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if you "post" to your "linked in timeline" i will put you in prison one day. mark my words.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

post hole digger posted:

if you "post" to your "linked in timeline" i will put you in prison one day. mark my words.

I turned off LinkedIn emails because at least once a day, I was getting a notification that my CFO posted or shared something with #Jesus in it on his timeline.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

fTPM is embedded in the motherboard firmware so is written by one of three companies: American Megatrends, Phoenix Technologies, or Insyde.

On AMD, the fTPM lives inside the Platform Security Processor, an ARM core running AMD provided blobs.

Intel calls their implementation PTT instead of fTPM. I'm not certain how it's implemented, so maybe it's implemented with AMI/Phoenix/whatever code, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Intel blob running the "secure" bits.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/wdormann/status/1518956901391872005

:manning:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol, kinda reminds me of when you could replace winlogon.scr with cmd or whatever. it is a bad hole

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Two years ago I spent too much time in LinkedIn researching and launching a career change and it was the most psychically damaging platform to post on I have ever been.

LinkedIn Sherpa is still doing the heavyish lifting. She has built a couple resume templates and tested them against a suite of ATS software to see which combinations of words get picked up better depending on formatting. They maintain a jobs portal of nonautomated and curated job postings. They also do resume reading, workshopping, and one on one interview prep. Career Team is separate from Instructor Staff and looks to be about 6 people deep servicing a student population of aroundish 500-800 depending on cohort cycle. Idk I'm not paying for this, but the government put about $30k in funding for lil ol me and if I don't get employed they don't get paid.

I've been in like 3 different CARES ACT funded programs and this has been most value and least scammy, but... That is a condemnation of CARES not of this course.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Two years ago I spent too much time in LinkedIn researching and launching a career change and it was the most psychically damaging platform to post on I have ever been.

LinkedIn Sherpa is still doing the heavyish lifting. She has built a couple resume templates and tested them against a suite of ATS software to see which combinations of words get picked up better depending on formatting. They maintain a jobs portal of nonautomated and curated job postings. They also do resume reading, workshopping, and one on one interview prep. Career Team is separate from Instructor Staff and looks to be about 6 people deep servicing a student population of aroundish 500-800 depending on cohort cycle. Idk I'm not paying for this, but the government put about $30k in funding for lil ol me and if I don't get employed they don't get paid.

I've been in like 3 different CARES ACT funded programs and this has been most value and least scammy, but... That is a condemnation of CARES not of this course.

out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

KirbyKhan posted:

i'm happy for you though
or sorry that happened

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

How to join the discord?

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

hbag posted:

unsure why you think posting that you want to get into infosec is going to doxx you

I don’t know, just my own irrational paranoia I guess. But goons aren’t exactly renowned for their mental stability. It seems like every other subforum has a “please don’t kill yourself” sticky these days. And a few years of post history is probably enough to identify anyone.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so, like, feel free to pm me if you want to talk about moving into infosec stuff. super happy to help. i am much less happy to read about your job hunt/career transition blog in this thread though - interviewing thread would be a better place for it

i understand that the above sounds harsh and i dont really mean it that way, but i cant think of a better way to phrase it and im not gonna spend _that_ much time on a post. i like this thread for people to BS about, dunk on, and occasionally say smart poo poo about the field. questions about infosec are very much encouraged (even if you think theyre dumb, we'll probably argue about them anyway, theres a lot of nuance/shitposting to be had , itll be fun). but the history of your boot camp is a bit far afield for the topic at hand

e: that was to kirbykhan who may or may not be aspiring skid idk. but if youre different people somehow i guess it applies to both of you?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am absolutely not aspiring skid. I put work and plausible history into my alts. But yeah, I get it, it's ok.

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

Ok no more job hunt posts :hai: I will send some solicited and unsolicited PMs instead.

I will concentrate on the bootcamp I am currently infiltrating and post updates as interesting things happen.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hope you're "infiltrating" KirbyKhan's bootcamp without knowing it and then you both fall into each other's honeypots or whatever

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

good luck with the job hunt though :shobon:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

required watching before posting itt post 1/2:
33c3:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

videos i've watched today, there's more great ones but limited time:

Reverse engineering Outernet by Daniel Estévez
- ham talk on receiving satellite communications from Outernet from raw reception to turning it into files. rough talk, but if you're interested it's there

What could possibly go wrong with <insert x86 instruction here>? by Clémentine Maurice and Moritz Lipp
- timing-based cache attacks: mov, clflush, prefetch and more. good extension on the rowhammer.js talk from last year. 15m rehashed overview, then real world attacks, flaws in detection, new detection methods, related research, etc.

Everything you always wanted to know about Certificate Transparency by Martin Schmiedecker
- do you want to learn the most basics of certificate transparency from the severely ill-informed? this talk is for you then. gems include diginotar's security faults including not running antivirus, or that certificate forging should be allowed because of traffic inspection (think of bandwidth costs if someone watches netflix on a plane). given a softball talk slot and somehow fucks it up, amazing (and yes full of meme pictures). lot of padding, includes the longest explanation of merkle trees known to man

How Do I Crack Satellite and Cable Pay TV? by Chris Gerlinsky
- aka "a professional reverse engineer meets a late-90s cable box", extremely in-depth hardware talk with touches on crypto. focuses on a us/canada centric system: digicipher 2. minimal explanation for basics due to the time limit and depth the talk goes to. must watch imo

Building a high throughput low-latency PCIe based SDR by Alexander Chemeris and Sergey Kostanbaev
- alright hardware talk that touches on fgpas and writing high performance linux kernel drivers

Exploiting PHP7 unserialize by Yannay Livneh
- great in-depth talk on how php7 unserialize functions, zval changes in php7 and gaining rce through chaining bugs.

Bootstraping a slightly more secure laptop by Trammell Hudson
- good overview on improving the security of laptops by trying to control the bootloader with custom tpm. worth a watch

The DROWN Attack by Sebastian Schinzel
- what you'd expect as an overview of the attack, worth watching if you're unfamiliar with DROWN but waste of time if you already know the details

Predicting and Abusing WPA2/802.11 Group Keys by Mathy Vanhoef
- good talk on how bad 802.11 standards are and implementation issues in different random number generators, worth a watch for the bravest wifi demo

Shut Up and Take My Money! by Vincent Haupert
- very detailed talk on n26, a bank where you make an account via the phone app with a lot of security flaws. takes a bit to get going. must watch

Pegasus internals by Max Bazaliy
- technical analysis of the pegasus malware/trident exploit chain, good talk on ios security but nothing new

What's It Doing Now? by Bernd Sieker
- what can go wrong with automated aviation systems including real world examples. great short talk that shouldn't be overlooked, perfect example of bad q&a

Untrusting the CPU by jaseg
- uh just watch this. an overly complex security architecture that leads to more questions than words per minute the speaker rambles. not sure how a student bs talk got into the conference. q&a politely rips it apart

Dieselgate – A year later by Daniel Lange (DLange)
- what volkswagen have done since the main incident came to light. well worth watching

Software Defined Emissions by Felix „tmbinc“ Domke
- furthering research on dieselgate, graph overload and very long talk but worth watching

Nintendo Hacking 2016 by derrek, nedwill and naehrwert
- the wiiu side of the talk is really badly done, the 3ds one is worth watching, but a lot of the talk in general will have you going "get to the point", and they forgot to explain the architecture so watch last year's talk. still the vulnerabilities are dumb when they finally get to talking about them

Lockpicking in the IoT by Ray
- variety of attacks on bluetooth padlocks, worth watching

Deploying TLS 1.3: the great, the good and the bad by Filippo Valsorda and Nick Sullivan
- what tls 1.3 brings, and what didn't make the cut, includes an infamous email. great talk to watch

Console Hacking 2016 by marcan
- The Perfect Presentation. Hacking linux onto the PS4. Must watch.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

leftovers from day 1:

Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego? by Karsten Nohl and Nemanja Nikodijevic
- abusing travel systems, proof of concepts covering a variety of companies. must watch

You can -j REJECT but you can not hide: Global scanning of the IPv6 Internet by Tobias Fiebig
- extremely slow academic talk that gets going around slide 42. exposes network topologies through dns queries of ipv6 networks, rough talk until the data is shown

Woolim – Lifting the Fog on DPRK’s Latest Tablet PC by Florian Grunow, Niklaus Schiess and Manuel Lubetzki
- privacy-focused talk, android tablet, update on the great talk last year. first 30m is nice, then the talk gets really rough trying to explain how they gained access. picks up when they talk about tracing media distribution. not a lot of content so expect slow explanations. alright watch, drinking game: whenever they mention doing something that probably leaked the original owner

Visiting The Bear Den by Jessy Campos
- good analysis of a variety of malware from apt28/fancy bear, well worth watching (q&a is full of idiots)

day 2:

A look into the Mobile Messaging Black Box by Roland Schilling and Frieder Steinmetz
- slow explanation of crypto before going into reverse engineering Threema, a 'secure' mobile messaging app. 33m of what you should already know, then threema talk. which is also slow as hell and nothing special mentioned (they avoided security research). watch if you have time to kill

Tapping into the core by Maxim Goryachy and Mark Ermolov
- a short rough talk on interfaces a hardware trojan could use focusing on intel chips. alright watch but could have been a lightning talk

Gone in 60 Milliseconds by Rich Jones
- annoying speaker, overly stylised presentation and irrelevant political tangents. content itself is decent when it gets going but ugh. at least it's a short talk

Wheel of Fortune by Jos Wetzels and Ali Abbasi
- what can go wrong with random number generators in embedded systems. audio is absolutely terrible with autogain throughout, they mostly fix it at 20m but it's a short talk so rip. great talk though so shame about all of that. q&a is dumb per usual (except the last q)

Recount 2016: An Uninvited Security Audit of the U.S. Presidential Election by Matt Bernhard and J. Alex Halderman
- great talk showing the effectiveness of paper ballots and recounts. academic approach with minimal politics. must watch

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

leftovers from day 2:
On the Security and Privacy of Modern Single Sign-On in the Web by Guido Schmitz (gtrs) and dfett
- analysis of a couple of SSO systems with explained flaws. good talk to watch, bit slow and shows off overly complex examples though

Build your own NSA by Andreas Dewes and @sveckert
- interesting talk on analysing 'sample' data from online tracking companies, includes a segment on de-anonymising datasets, and extensions used to improve data collection. live translated from german, with regular audio issues so probably best if you watch the original. good talk in any case

Downgrading iOS: From past to present by tihmstar
- thorough talk on prior ios downgrade attacks and presents some interesting research. good watch

Intercoms Hacking by Sebastien Dudek
- gsm attacks on modern intercoms. good watch but speaker is a bit nervous

Shining some light on the Amazon Dash button by hunz
- thorough reverse engineering on the Amazon Dash button - single button hardware to allow easy re-ordering of products. what can go wrong? great talk with proof of concept

ATMs how to break them to stop the fraud by Olga Kochetova and Alexey Osipov
- atm security talk, covers a lot of ground just takes a bit to get going. plenty of proof of concepts with real world attacks. great watch

Code BROWN in the Air by miaoski
- ham talk focusing on pagers, analysis of data across months. interesting talk that's worth watching

day 3 so far:

Million Dollar Dissidents and the Rest of Us by Bill Marczak and John Scott-Railton
- citizenlab talk on how they got the pegasus malware previously talked about. obviously well researched talk that's a great watch

radare demystified by pancake
- overview of radare, analysis tool originally designed for forensics. good watch, and alright intro that's dense with examples and has no time for q&a

How do we know our PRNGs work properly? by Vladimir Klebanov and Felix Dörre
- analysing prngs with a very limited scope, focusing on entropy loss in common implementations. good watch that takes a while to get going and has some sketchy explanations

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

leftovers from day 3:

On Smart Cities, Smart Energy, And Dumb Security by Netanel Rubin
- smart grid security talk focusing on zigbee. generic talk where the speaker seems to have done minimal technical research, provides generic approaches to checking the security but no analysis of a device in the talk. rough watch, and q&a picks out issues in the talk

Memory Deduplication: The Curse that Keeps on Giving by Ben Gras, Kaveh Razavi, brainsmoke and Antonio Barresi
- shows off a variety of memory dedup attacks with pocs (inc. rowhammer). second speaker is really nervous, great talk to watch other than that

Dissecting modern (3G/4G) cellular modems by LaForge and holger
- aims more for analysing the opensource code (labourously obtained) to figure out the internals of the modems. highlights designs flaws and general sloppiness, an alright watch if only for the systems overview

Do as I Say not as I Do: Stealth Modification of Programmable Logic Controllers I/O by Pin Control Attack by Ali Abbasi and Majid
- PLC security talk, shows off attack taking advantage of io reconfiguration to change pins during read/writes without the os noticing. great talk that's worth watching

Dissecting HDMI by Tim 'mithro' Ansell
- problems and solutions when building hardware/software to handle hdmi splitting. some really dumb design decisions made these problems so worth watching in that respect. yvcpos bithc

Talking Behind Your Back by Vasilios Mavroudis and Federico Maggi
- retreads the issue of ultrasound tracking systems, mainly SilverPush, with example attacks. good talk to watch

Decoding the LoRa PHY by Matt Knight
- ham talk: reverse engineering a modern wireless protocol. extremely good talk that covers a ton of ground, recommended watch if you care about reverse engineering or radio at all

onto day 4

Retail Surveillance / Retail Countersurveillance by Adam Harvey
- short (33m) talk inc. q&a. speaker seems to have found out too late the talk's scope was too big, and slowly rambles on unrelated matters to pad time. does a good overview on dazzle camoflague, but that's about it. alright watch if you want to see the area i guess but nothing about retail at all.

The Ultimate Game Boy Talk by Michael Steil
- the fifth ultimate talk covering the game boy. great watch that's entertaining

Virtual Secure Boot by Gerd Hoffmann
- building secure boot for virtual machines, primarily qemu. alright watch if you're interested in the field but dev-focused

that's it for 33c3, any good talks i missed mention them and give your views on talks as well - we need more than one opinion in here especially for best talks of the conference

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

required watching before posting itt post 2/2:
34c3:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

large chunk from day 1 of 34c3, i may have low balled that 50 figure if this is a trend:
Forensic Architecture by Eyal Weizman (43:34)
- tech issues turn this into an improv presentation where the presenter works off of his website. good talk that goes into visually reconstructing bombings in conflict zones and representing conflicting narratives in kidnappings. q&a is great and full of actually good questions

Demystifying Network Cards by Paul Emmerich (31:29)
- good fast dense talk focused on optimising networking performance mainly aimed at driver development. only a brief mention of security where the presenter hopes dropping priviledges is perfect, but not the main point of the talk. light q&a

eMMC hacking, or: how I fixed long-dead Galaxy S3 phones by oranav (56:07)
- good technical talk starting from reversing patches, abusing backdoors to dump firmware then finally patching. no hardware mods necesary. worth a watch. q&a has some nice gems

Uncovering British spies’ web of sockpuppet social media personas by Mustafa Al-Bassam (31:31)
- alt names: "my first day on irc", "the day i learned what sigint actually does", pretty naive analysis throughout. only thing of value was gchq being lazy with timing tweets (mon-fri 9-5 gmt). other than that just a rehash of leaks and the presenter going "well this would be a good place to research, right??". q&a also useless given the source is of questionable value for opsec advice given the indictment

Squeezing a key through a carry bit by Sean Devlin, Filippo Valsorda (50:02)
- alt name: "not obviously exploitable", leveraging a rare carry bug (~2^32) to full key recovery. crash course on ecc then p straightforward crypto talk on the bug itself then optimising it to a feasible attack. no real q&a though

Unleash your smart-home devices: Vacuum Cleaning Robot Hacking by Dennis Giese and DanielAW (31:15)
- audio troubles for 5m. focuses on xiaomi devices. homebrewing presentation that talks around the rooting aspect but does a good job with what they have to work with. q&a is good. alright watch to see what's stored on the device and functionality available to the manufacturer

How risky is the software you use? by Tim Carstens and Parker Thompson (58:50)
- alt name: "producing a consumer-friendly security advisory notice at-scale". pretty bad talk that's more about imposing archaic guidelines post-release than improving the dev process. For all the talk comparing to EPCs the speaker's against giving risk-based advice on improving score, but prefers an adversarial approach to improving standards. Speaker hopes a bayesian stats approach will lead to devs implementing secure practices, not just getting enough boxes ticked for implementing x irrelevant feature. Even dumber is this approach leads to score dilution where thousands of irrelevant secure programs are loaded on with manufacturer's own dumb program to make the overall product look better. their analytic pipeline could do with angr rather than remaking the wheel for the nth time (it's almost as if it's the same problem field...). i could keep yelling but this is a lot of stats nerds trying to show the grant money was spent well. bad sales pitch disguised as a talk. q&a is good as the speaker accidentally tears down their own talk, then misunderstands threat models

BBSs and early Internet access in the 1990ies by LaForge (61:41)
- a good nostalgia talk, extremely brave speaker for giving a live demo to look at random unvetted bbs images. worth watching. q&a is mostly worthless though

Science is broken by hanno (30:45)
- alright talk, doesn't add much if you're familiar with different scientific field study practices though. mostly poking at generic iteration flaws and publication bias. q&a is good

Tightening the Net in Iran by Mahsa Alimardani (47:47)
- a very strange start to a talk. takes a bit to get going but a good overview of how iran are going about limiting internet access in the country. speaker is defensive of telegram (takes the common stance of "it's popular so let's fix it rather than saying use signal/tor"), bit of an odd choice for a privacy standpoint. good watch though, if oddly ignorant of telegram's issues. q&a is alright but mistakes a single person as a perfect source of info for a country

1-day exploit development for Cisco IOS by Artem Kondratenko (45:36)
- good talk on rebuilding a snmp buffer overflow vuln into a reliable rce. spends a lot of time on refinding rop chains though. if you want to know more about exploiting cisco generically i'd read through this.

Inside Intel Management Engine by Maxim Goryachy (51:46)
- an unfortunately rough talk as the speaker isn't that confident. great on the technical aspects though so worth watching. q&a try to salvage the talk

iOS kernel exploitation archaeology by argp (54:56)
- focuses on reverse engineering a kernel exploit from a late 2013 jailbreak to figure out the exploit techniques. alright talk but it meanders a lot and ultimately turns into how the speaker reimplemented the exploit than how it was originally designed.

Lets break modern binary code obfuscation by Tim Blazytko and Moritz Contag (60:02)
- two parts: first treads a lot of ground on common commercial obfuscation methods before focusing on vm approaches and common hardening techniques. second dives into probabilistically modeling functions to work around the obfuscation arms race. demo with toolset, p good talk with no real downtime. q&a is alright

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

leftovers from day 1:
Defeating (Not)Petya's Cryptography by Sebastian Eschweiler (54:44)
- talk takes a bit to get going and the speaker isn't good with public speaking. content is pretty front-loaded (mistakes in (not)petya), then the rest of the talk is on iterating different approaches to get a functional key recovery via known-plaintext. alright watch, q&a salvages content out of the last half of the talk

DPRK Consumer Technology by Will Scott and Gabe Edwards (31:28)
- good talk which aims to publicise consumer system images from dprk consumer devices. also explains the process involved in breaking the drm applied to educational material. no q&a due to time

Microarchitectural Attacks on Trusted Execution Environments by Keegan Ryan (55:02)
- do you want to learn about side-channels? this talk is for you then. great introduction to cache attacks focusing on trustzone and sgx. great watch with good q&a

Doping your Fitbit by jiska and DanielAW (22:49)
- a teardown and reverse engineer of a fitbit. short talk but pretty dense covering a lot of ground

BootStomp On the Security of Bootloaders in Mobile Devices by Audrey Dutcher (28:23)
- aka "what if we point angr at bootloaders?" p good talk that takes a bit to get going but the speaker trips over themselves a few times. q&a is light

KRACKing WPA2 by Forcing Nonce Reuse by Mathy Vanhoef (61:42)
- corrects some misconceptions on the attack and provides a thorough walkthrough of the attack with issues on specific implementions highlighted. great watch imo, q&a is good too

The Ultimate Apollo Guidance Computer Talk by Michael Steil and Christian Hessmann (61:42)
- another in the ultimate series - fast and dense talk. 60m to learn as much as possible about the apollo guidance computer. must watch imo, no q&a.

day 2:

Mobile Data Interception from the Interconnection Link by Dr. Silke Holtmanns (48:19)
- ss7? eh that's old let's look at diameter. crash course on lte networking and a brief overview of a viable attack. good watch, and any operator should take notes. q&a is a must watch for informed ss7 vuln impact

Deep Learning Blindspots by Katharine Jarmul (53:48)
- more of a light literature overview of creating adversarial examples to defeat different machine learning models generically. there's a few examples given but missable unless you're interested in the field but haven't seen examples before. q&a is p light as well

Reverse engineering FPGAs by MathiasL (42:09)
- p rough talk (always have backups for presenting demos), but good content on reversing commercial fpgas. q&a is a bulk of the video with lots of good questions

Spy vs. Spy A Modern Study Of Microphone Bugs Operation And Detection by Veronica Valeros and Sebastian Garcia (62:31)
- a sdr-based transmitter detection tool. starts out alright but their narrow scope focusing on poo poo commercial bugs limits its use. talk's alright but had a lot more potential, they're more concerned with transmission than suitability of microphone types and only look at post-processing lightly. q&a just highlight the limitations

Electromagnetic Threats for Information Security by @EMHacktivity and José Lopes Esteves (49:11)
- it starts off alright then goes into the academia hole of overly defining the scope and possible issues. 23m in they get to testing then show good examples of active attacks so it's worth watching from there. good watch overall, q&a is a bit of a waste though

Internet of Fails by Barbara Wimmer (59:21)
- the IoT talk of the day, covers a lot of ground but it's more an overview than presenting anything new. worth a watch though, q&a is light

Everything you want to know about x86 microcode, but might have been afraid to ask by Benjamin Kollenda and Philipp Koppe (57:25)
- talk is really on reversing microcode updates, then writing arbitrary microcode updates to modify runtime. demo is great as well, must watch. q&a is thorough as well

Inside Android’s SafetyNet Attestation Attack and Defense by Collin Mulliner (59:11)
- an attempt at documenting safetynet, then goes into bypasses and other attacks on the system. good watch despite demo hell, light on q&a

How to drift with any car by Guillaume Heilles and P1kachu (51:18)
- must watch talk going in depth on reading the can bus and reversing commercially successful fuel improvement tools. good demos and the q&a is gold

Console Security - Switch by plutoo and derrek and naehrwert (49:41)
- good talk but skips over a few critical points and they're still nervous after years of talks. their demo also falls apart, but it's worth a watch, no q&a though

Taking a scalpel to QNX by Jos Wetzels and Ali Abbasi (46:18)
- QNX 7: prngs and exploit mitigations. great in-depth talk building on last year that's a must watch. q&a is light

Financial surveillance by Jasmin Klofta and Tom Wills (59:06)
- must watch talk on evaluating a leaked list of WorldCheck and finding their 'reputable sources' for flagging people as terrorists/money launderers. q&a is good as well

Intel ME Myths and reality by Igor Skochinsky and Nicola Corna (62:34)
- alt name: "a very nervous hex-rays dev walks into a security conference". a pretty rough talk going through the history of intel's remote management attempts and how it evolved into intel me. after the history it's bad for a while - conjecture and unreliable sources mainly. gets good from ~27m when they shift to vulns and then the other speaker takes over. q&a is alright

The Noise Protocol Framework by Trevor Perrin (32:04)
- general overview of the framework, good entry level talk on the design rationale and implementation. very short q&a

LatticeHacks by djb and Tanja Lange and Nadia Heninger (65:56)
- the headline crypto talk of the conference. bit more straightforward than the last few years so great for beginners. must watch, but no time for q&a

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

day 2 leftovers:

ASLR on the line by brainsmoke (44:14)
- very nervous speaker and an intermediate talk on tackling aslr. focused on attacking aslr from javascript with perf timing attacks and working around existing mitigations. there's a lot better introductions to side channels that also go into more depth, but good talk if you want to see it from the browser and can deal with a nervous speaker. q&a is rough as well

Uncovering vulnerabilities in Hoermann BiSecur by Markus Muellner and Markus Kammerstetter (51:36)
- pretty nice talk on breaking garage door openers. q&a is nice and thorough

day 3:

Policing in the age of data exploitation by Eva Blum--Dumontet and Millie Wood (60:07)
- good overview of powers the police have, but focuses more on lack of awareness than providing new information. alright watch with a good q&a

Internet censorship in the Catalan referendum by Matthias (50:25)
- good talk on the censorship methods utilised and workarounds used. worth a watch and good q&a

Protecting Your Privacy at the Border by Kurt Opsahl and William Budington (58:01)
- more aimed at the general public, but a good talk. q&a is good as well, but the speakers are a bit behind on ssd forensics

Are all BSDs created equally? by Ilja van Sprundel (58:58)
- alright talk attempting a code quality assessment across open/net/free bsd. worth watching for the different responses from the respective security teams. q&a is good as well

Running GSM mobile phone on SDR by Vadim Yanitskiy and ptrkrysik (31:20)
- good talk with a nice demo. not a lot a progress in the gsm sdr space since last year but worth a watch. no q&a due to time

How Alice and Bob meet if they don't like onions by Tobias Mueller and Erik and Matthias (61:53)
- decent overview of alternative networks, but focuses on the theoretical models than how they work in practice. q&a is alright but a large chunk of the talk

Decoding Contactless (Card) Payments by Simon Eumes (58:19)
- great overview of how contactless transactions work, well informed. 20m of q&a that bring a lot of good questions

Public FPGA based DMA Attacking by Ulf Frisk (31:27)
- must watch on using pcileech for dma attacks. great demos and presentation, with no real wasted time. q&a is good as well

day 4:

TrustZone is not enough by Pascal Cotret (31:24)
- audio issues but a weird talk that has the strangest introduction to side channels so far. doesn't really bring anything new beyond using fpgas. no q&a either

Italy's surveillance toolbox by boter (27:49)
- good talk on the funding behind the various italian interception companies obtained through public tenders. q&a is alright as well

The Internet in Cuba: A Story of Community Resilience by Will Scott and kopek (58:30)
- must watch talk on networking in cuba, mainly focusing on havana's snet - a rarely discussed community network. q&a is good with few dumb questions

Uncertain Concern by Allison McDonald (58:15)
- good talk on how undocumented US immigrants deal with risk and common misconceptions held. q&a is alright

MQA - A clever stealth DRM-Trojan by Christoph Engemann and Anton Schlesinger (60:32)
- self-aware audiophile discusses a new drm audio format (MQA). second speaker has the sniffles, but rips the scientific basis apart. it's a great watch with good q&a

Type confusion: discovery, abuse, and protection by gannimo (56:39)
- good talk on type confusion focusing on c++. shows off a nice tool (hextype) that allows instrumentation for type confusion that integrates with afl. good fuzzing examples on popular projects. q&a is good as well

SCADA - Gateway to (s)hell by Thomas Roth (45:09)
- the yearly ics talk. tackles 3 devices with vulnerabilities for them all. must watch, with a great q&a as the speaker buffered for the demos failing

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

day 3 additional:

Holography of Wi-Fi radiation by Friedemann Reinhard
- good talk on visualing wi-fi radiation as holograms building upon recent prior research. academic but covers a lot of real world applications. security assessment doesn't seem to care about long-term recon of fixed buildings (e.g. embassies) instead focusing on reactional recon e.g. in tactical engagements. q&a is good but only one question tries to tackle this premise

35c3:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

35c3 day 1 talks:

Locked up science by Claudia Frick (@FuzzyLeapfrog) (41:52)
- quick runthrough of how academic publication occurs, and advances to encouraging free access to the publications. good watch if you're unfamiliar with the issues involved, but doesn't go that in-depth. q&a is pretty straightforward

The Rocky Road to TLS 1.3 and better Internet Encryption by hanno (1:00:38)
- audio issues go away a minute in. pretty thorough history lesson on how we got to 1.3 and the vulnerabilities along the way. a familiar email's in there. good q&a

Mind the Trap: Die Netzpolitik der AfD im Bundestag by Noujoum (41:10)
- deu->eng. good intro to the german parliament, the AfD's leverage as the biggest opposition party, and their current approach to hiding in plain view. doesn't go that in-depth though and q&a is light

Going Deep Underground to Watch the Stars by Jost Migenda (47:03)
- neutrinos: the talk. good talk to watch covering the design of detectors and future plans. q&a is good as well

LibreSilicon by leviathan, hsank and Andreas Westerwick (1:00:13)
- advances on the lightning talk from last year. very techncially dense talk. they're making good progress at recreating silicon compilers, and focus a lot more on the process side this time. great talk to watch if you want a refresher on circuit board optimisation. speakers get a bit nervous but given how dense the talk is that's hardly surprising. q&a is pretty good as well

Election Cybersecurity Progress Report by J. Alex Halderman (59:39)
- expands on the 2016 talk with the same speaker, this time they consider looking past the prior academic vacuum given the data that's came out since. it's worth watching this talk against what the speaker said in 2016 and where the strict denials suddenly vanish. q&a is good

First Sednit UEFI Rootkit Unveiled by Frédéric Vachon (40:53)
- uefi rookits in the wild! goes through discovery of the initial vector, exploitation and the features of the rootkit. relatively quick talk, good q&a

SiliVaccine: North Korea's Weapon of Mass Detection by Mark Lechtik (52:45)
- dprk's antivirus. lots of good highlights throughout the talk. strangely doesn't tie into the prior dprk talks. q&a is very short

Frontex: Der europäische Grenzgeheimdienst by Matthias Monroy (41:38)
- deu->eng light talk covers border security at the mediterranean. mainly focuses on the cooperation between different governments in working this in practice, and libya's involvement. q&a is long

Taming the Chaos: Can we build systems that actually work? by Peter Sewell (58:53)
- starts as a standard talk about formally defined systems focusing on C. moves onto showing off academic advances in proofing in practice, and progresses to almost functional in the real world. q&a is good and a large chunk of the talk.

Censored Planet: a Global Censorship Observatory by Roya Ensafi (56:04)
- talk is mostly about rediscovering how to abuse a sequential id in ip packets to infer connectivity between 2 uncontrolled machines. then it moves onto abusing open dns resolvers. certainly some strange ethics tests involved, and seems to be ignoring legal issues. i'd go on but it's strange how for the talk about adversarial research little seems to be done on pitfalls in the data collection and likely poisoning the sources listed. q&a brings this up, but the answers don't inspire confidence.

"The" Social Credit System by Toni (1:01:17)
- great talk on china's social scoring systems. in-depth on how its seen in china, how it came into existence, and all of the biases inherent in the different models. good q&a as well

Scuttlebutt by Zenna / zelf (34:23)
- "The decentralized P2P gossip protocol" no don't run away! actually maybe do they missed more buzzwords: blockchain, mesh network, sneakernet, it just goes on. really have a drinking contest for this talk if you dare. they start rediscovering using split shared secrets for recovery. their main talk must have no substance as they then proceed to talk about other projects doing actually interesting work that they must be trying to look competent by vague association? it's a short talk as well so enjoy this trainwreck. i want my time back. q&a is far too polite on trying to get anything technical about how this protocol exists at all. questions about sybil attacks and fake accounts result in pure bullshit in response.

Hunting the Sigfox: Wireless IoT Network Security by Florian Euchner (Jeija) (38:03)
- good introduction to low energy RF protocols. quick but covers a good amount of ground for newcomers. q&a is good as well

Information Biology - Investigating the information flow in living systems by Jürgen Pahle (37:26)
- intro to biochemical modelling, good luck live translators. great talk but get ready for lots of stats. q&a covers a lot of ground as well

Introduction to Deep Learning by teubi (41:07)
- great thorough talk on how deep learning functions that's very accessible. doesn't go in depth on training issues, just how the training functions works. q&a is worthwile to watch

How does the Internet work? by Peter Stuge (50:09)
- pretty basic intro to the common protocols, honestly not great for an introduction talk as speaker is a bit nervous with a black/white slideshow and talking about all the protocols in a very dry manner. really is about the internet in early 90s compared to now - talk briefly touches on that at the end. q&a is one polite question

Compromising online accounts by cracking voicemail systems by Martin Vigo (42:02)
- great talk going through automating bruteforcing voicemail attacks to break bad reset flows. lots of practical attacks in the presentation. q&a is really good and informative for carriers in 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

day 1 continued (i even skipped some talks!):

Digital Airwaves by Friederike (46:09)
- SDR talk covering how each component functions, the basics of RF, and dives into signal processing. good, but keep in mind its an intro talk. q&a is short but good

Space Ops 101 by sven (1:02:16)
- great talk on mission planning and engineering. covers real world scenarios and diagnosing faults throughout the process. interesting, and a quarter of the video is devoted to q&a

Transmission Control Protocol by Hannes Mehnert (39:13)
- a rough intro to TCPIP, cares too much about explaining the minutiae rather than why the choices were made. talk is really about how they made a formal model on TCPIP rather than an introduction to beginners. few polite questions at the end.

wallet.fail by Thomas Roth, Dmitry Nedospasov and Josh Datko (1:01:58)
- downside: *coin enthusiasts. upside: 4 practical attack vectors on hardware wallets. really well done talk that covers a lot of ground quickly. q&a is alright as well

What The Fax?! by Yaniv Balmas and Eyal Itkin (46:55)
- must watch talk focusing on attacking all-in-one printers with fax functionality. full of lots of fun easter eggs. q&a is short

A Routing Interregnum: Internet infrastructure transition in Crimea after Russian annexation by Xenia (44:38)
- must watch citizenlab talk analysing what happened to all the communication infrastructure during the annexation. shows how russia improved their surveillance capabilities in crimea. q&a is long as well

Quantum Mechanics by sri (57:30)
- accessible crash course in quantum mechanics focusing on the experiments and fundamental equations. well it's accessible for people already extremely familiar with the maths behind quantum mechanics, so good luck. good amount of time for q&a

Open Source Firmware by zaolin (49:39)
- deu->eng good overview on designing firmware, and the current advances made. no real q&a after the talk

Modchips of the State by Trammell Hudson (36:52)
- great quick watch. starts off running through the bloomberg claims, and goes into how to build an implant in practice. q&a is relatively lengthy as well.

All Your Gesundheitsakten Are Belong To Us by Martin Tschirsich (1:01:41)
- deu->eng good talk focusing on health data mobile apps for medical records between doctor and patient. it covers a variety of apps, but fumbles a few times on the danger of specific issues. great other than that, and the sloppy translation. q&a is pretty long but doesn't cover much

Inside the AMD Microcode ROM by Benjamin Kollenda, Philipp Koppe (37:21)
- must watch reverse engineering talk, should be pretty familiar if you watched last years talks - same speakers on the same subject. lot of interesting advances this year. q&a has nice questions as well

SD-WAN a New Hop by Sergey Gordeychik (49:04)
- great talk covering software defined WANs, and the security issues across multiple vendors' products. q&a is light and doesn't cover much

Day 2

Exploring fraud in telephony networks by Merve Sahin, Aurélien Francillon (1:02:05)
- interesting talk. starts trying to classify the classic frauds, then brings in data to show how they work in practice and models some defenses. lots of q&a with good information mixed in

A farewell to soul-crushing code by Mike Sperber, Nicole Rauch (1:00:57)
- talk has good dynamics, but is effectively a rough intro to functional programming and haskell. 15m of q&a at the end but there isn't anything worthwhile in there

Inside the Fake Science Factories by @sveckert, @tillkrause, Peter Hornung (1:01:36)
- deu->eng worth watching. investigative journalists look into the other side of academic publishing. goes from publishing papers, to attending the conferences and analysing authors at 5 of the major predatory journals. good q&a

Modern Windows Userspace Exploitation by Saar Amar (50:58)
- shows off the progress of native mitigations by taking a ctf challenge and exploiting it on win7, 10(TH1), 10(RS5). really good runthrough of the newer protections and older ways of bypassing them. dense with lots of demos so no q&a.

SymbiFlow - Finally the GCC of FPGAs! by Tim 'mithro' Ansell (1:02:04)
- good talk. aims to make a open source toolchain for fpga development. mostly an overview of the current state of the various replacement attempts, and if you want more info on nextpnr check out the next talk. thorough q&a

The nextpnr FOSS FPGA place-and-route tool by Clifford Wolf (46:52)
- paired with the last talk. far more technical than the general overview of the last talk. q&a is alright

Explaining Online US Political Advertising by Damon McCoy (1:01:22)
- must watch talk on analysing the targeting of political ads since the 2016 election. grabs facebook/google/twitter public ads archives, talks about their approaches, and visualises the data. good q&a as well

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Lightning Talks Day 2 by too many people to list (2:06:49)
- starts off strong tbh, not going to rate every 5m talk. there's some crazy talks in there but the majority are worth watching.

Smart Home - Smart Hack by Michael Steigerwald (51:22)
- deu->eng turns out IoT devices are bad?? good talk that goes through multiple devices. includes putting arbitrary firmware on a device, and disabling the cloud features. lots of q&a

A Christmas Carol - The Spectres of the Past, Present, and Future by Moritz Lipp, Michael Schwarz, Daniel Gruss, Claudio Canella (1:01:29)
- must watch talk on the attacks, mitigations and why they're still not enough. brilliant presentation throughout. q&a is good as well

Attacking end-to-end email encryption by Sebastian Schinzel (1:00:38)
- really good talk on efail and the variants, the disclosure process that happened and why everything's still hosed. q&a covers a lot more details

Jailbreaking iOS by tihmstar (47:58)
- rough historical talk on jailbreaking expanding on the talk from 2 years ago. the community's not changed so expect the same issues. the crypto and future work sections are p useless as well. q&a does try and point out that jailbreaking is inherently incompatible with securing the devices

Wallet Security by Stephan Verbücheln (35:34)
- another *coin enthusiast, joy. the talk is p rough as well, makes the mistake of trying to explain crypto when its not their expertise, nor are they good at explaining old well documented attacks. just watch the hardware wallet talk as it covers all of this but with practical demos as well. q&a is a bit comical as well

The Layman's Guide to Zero-Day Engineering by Markus Gaasedelen, Amy (itszn) (57:04)
- great intro talk on the realities of researching from scratch, and the non-tech side of building exploits from scratch. recommend it for anyone without experience in researching to get an idea of what happens behind the scenes. actually bothers to talk about cleaning up post-exploit. no q&a - dense talk

A deep dive into the world of DOS viruses by Ben Cartwright-Cox (38:13)
- must watch talk covering the less well known DOS viruses, how they function and lots of fun examples. q&a is great as well

The year in post-quantum crypto by djb, Tanja Lange (1:10:01)
- must watch on what's happened in the past year across all of the NIST submissions. check last year's talk for more context. q&a is worth watching

that's all the talks for day 2, so let's start with day 3:

From Zero to Zero Day by Jonathan Jacobi (48:29)
- good talk on getting into security research focusing on JITs. goes a bit too in-depth to be good for beginners, so watch if you're interested in JIT vulns. q&a does a lot to fill in the background of the talk

Provable Security by FJW, Lukas (59:06)
- good intro to proofs in crypto. uses ElGamal as a basis to show how proofing works in practice. q&a is good

Self-encrypting deception by Carlo Meijer (58:43)
- must watch talk covering the ssd crypto issues. first demo issue of the conference, but it gets sorted quick. lot of good q&a afterwards

Viva la Vita Vida by Yifan Lu, Davee (56:37)
- great console hacking talk covering software and hardware. has a great visual explanation of voltage glitching. great Q&AAA

Russia vs. Telegram: technical notes on the battle by Leonid Evdokimov (darkk) (40:53)
- great talk. covers some prior attempts at censorship, how the blacklist is implemented, and what's happened with the blocking attempts. video doesn't focus enough on the slides sadly. dense in info and a good watch. q&a has some good questions

Safe and Secure Drivers in High-Level Languages by Paul Emmerich, Simon Ellmann, Sebastian Voit (1:01:57)
- great academic talk expanding on last year. covers a lot of languages, but sadly doesn't talk about the bash implementation. deep dive into the go and rust implementations. great q&a

Enclosure-PUF by Christian Zenger, David Holin, Lars Steinschulte (1:01:21)
- must watch talk on creating high security physical tamper proofing systems via rf. the concept's came up before but it's good to see it demonstrated. q&a makes sure to tackle as many problems as possible in the timeframe, questionable applicability

Truly cardless: Jackpotting an ATM using auxiliary devices. by Olga Kochetova, Alexey Osipov (35:06)
- must watch that goes through practical attacks that were previously under nda. q&a is good as well

Web-based Cryptojacking in the Wild by Marius Musch (39:26)
- good talk, has the best walkthrough of mining so far and in a portion of the time. good runthrough of the impact on the internet, and how much could have been earned. good q&a

Attacking Chrome IPC by nedwill (54:13)
- great intro talk for getting into fuzzing with no experience. if you're wanting to try into research it's a must watch. q&a is p light

Modeling and Simulation of Physical Systems for Hobbyists by (38:17)
- really rough intro to how to model and simulate that goes with excel rather than the tools they mentioned? sticks with too basic physics examples, and doesn't go into how to actually do anything beyond visualising the most basic functions. no real q&a

The Mars Rover On-board Computer by breakthesystem (43:19)
- great talk. focuses on the software side, and how the rover functions in practice. doesn't go very in-depth, and the q&a doesn't give many answers

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

let's continue with day 3:

Conquering Large Numbers at the LHC by Carsten Bittrich, Stefanie Todt (41:45)
- great talk, unfortunately has audio issues. walks through trimming down what's worth storing, and how to analyse the data. lot of q&a

Domain Name System by Hannes Mehnert (42:41)
- good intro talk, but keep in mind it's a very basic overview of DNS. q&a covers a lot more detail

Circumventing video identification using augmented reality by Jan Garcia (30:51)
- must watch talk - turns out some banks think verifying an id over a webcam is fine? goes into a lot of detail on generating the id card. good q&a

Internet of Dongs by Werner Schober (32:41)
- must watch iot talk. very thorough analysis on off the shelf hardware, but unfortunately doesn't have enough time to talk about all the issues. not a lot of q&a due to this

In Soviet Russia Smart Card Hacks You by Eric Sesterhenn (38:16)
- must watch talk primarily focusing on open source implementations. the concept of a malicious card seems to have been overlooked by a lot of devs. great q&a

and on to day 4:

What the flag is CTF? by Andy (41:45)
- good intro to participating in CTFs. goes through example challenges and the different styles of CTFs that exist. examples are a lot higher than a beginner would be expected to solve, so don't get dismayed by it at all.

Kernel Tracing With eBPF by Jeff Dileo, Andy Olsen (54:08)
- must watch talk on improving tracing in linux kernels, or rather trying to make ebpf functional. it, uh, doesn't go well. not much q&a

Dissecting Broadcom Bluetooth by jiska, mantz (43:03)
- must watch talk focusing on analysing the link layer. tl;dr stop using bluetooth. lots of good q&a

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well it seems we have a few talk requests and leftovers:

Day 3:
How Facebook tracks you on Android by Frederike Kaltheuner, Christopher Weatherhead (43:36)
- great talk that goes through how profiles are built off of metadata, how apps use the sdk in practice, and how bad the default config is. tons of q&a (20m)

Sneaking In Network Security by Maximilian Burkhardt (1:00:53)
- great talk on implementing segmentation on a live network. only :nsa: of the conference?? tool name collision detected. good q&a

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

linkedin posters are mlm #huns if they had actual careers.

aspiring_skid posted:

I don’t know, just my own irrational paranoia I guess. But goons aren’t exactly renowned for their mental stability. It seems like every other subforum has a “please don’t kill yourself” sticky these days. And a few years of post history is probably enough to identify anyone.
to answer your first question :justpost:, if your posts are bad the thread will tell you to get out, no harm done. in my experience this thread doesn’t mind talking about the infosec industry.

as for whether you can successfully break in it’s hard to say. infosec covers everything from AD button pushers to tavis ormandys who can shake the pillars of industry after a long shower. it depends on your skills and what you try to apply it to.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Every link is a banger

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Leaky Forms: A Study of Email and Password Exfiltration Before Form Submission is from one of my RSS feeds today, and not only is it an interesting read, it's also a real old-school URI that I enjoy immensely.

Shame Boy posted:

i had no idea that header was a standard, now i feel silly for carefully tracking down the "specific" one for my motherboard. or is it a "standard" in that everyone agrees on what the pins are, but whether or not your motherboard will actually talk and play nice with it is another matter?
I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but Supermicro has a pdf manual on TPMs that are compliant with TCG 1.2 and 2.0 are supposed to behave which seems to be in line with the Intel specifications that include a pinout - so I'm gonna go ahead and imagine that it's an actual standard since the world would be loving hosed if it wasn't.
Well, more than it is already, at any rate.

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

posting in the infosec thread to say i didn't watch all those videos also are we cyber security or infosec it's super important to know

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

usually i call it "hacker poo poo" or "computer janitoring" depending on how blue team the thing im talking about is

i will never stop laughing that there are people who will say they're in "cyber" with a straight face. "cyber security" is better but not by a huge margin

but saying "cyber" when there's neon involved or heavy use of synthesizers is highly recommended

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

usually i call it "hacker poo poo" or "computer janitoring" depending on how blue team the thing im talking about is

i will never stop laughing that there are people who will say they're in "cyber" with a straight face. "cyber security" is better but not by a huge margin

but saying "cyber" when there's neon involved or heavy use of synthesizers is highly recommended
In "cyber" (in the early 90s sense)

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

moonshine is...... posted:

posting in the infosec thread to say i didn't watch all those videos also are we cyber security or infosec it's super important to know

It's infosec if you post on twitter a lot, cybersecurity if you're angling to get govt contract dollars

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just say you do a lot of cyber-sec stuff. you do all the cyber-secs.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
dixie sighed as he unslung his ono-sendai

“we’re going to be here all week unfucking this wannacry breakout. tell the street sams to stay keyed up and get the johnson to send us a crate of soviet synth”

should have listened my mother he thought. she had worked in the 81st cyber division back in the euro conflict. but the money was too good and a tech habit ain’t cheap.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh poo poo, watching all those videos would take almost as long as apple’s mandatory internal secure programming in c interactive seminar

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
what does this training have to say about the use of goto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Ulf posted:

what does this training have to say about the use of goto?

it says not to talk about the seminar.