Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
fyi i've been using https://rdiff-backup.net/ for over a decade now for periodically making mirrors, it's insanely good

uses the rsync protocol over ssh, but on the mirror end, it keeps the current mirror, and then an increments directory with diff files to all the previous mirrors so you can restore any file to any point in time in just a couple seconds, and takes barely any extra space for changes

e: there's smarter solutions these days, but imo none yet that are both as simple and work on p. much any hardware from ancient embedded poo poo to modern servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

oh gosh that’s the worst reason to do anything. hope it works out for you!

me too

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i just edited it because i realized the way i worded it made it sound dumb as hell lol. thanks, some turbonerd is trying to advocate for sftp and i'm trying to shut them down

I know sftp has been around as long as about ssh2 but I have never seen it used in any documentation or testing or production stuff. I think I've seen gui based file transfer clients for windows that might have used it, but that's about it.

I use rsync for everything, since it does both local and remote copy. But I'll use scp in edge cases or if I feel like it.

The only reason I could see a recommendation for sftp is maybe to reduce attack surface. But if everyone is using rsync anyway, it would just be easier to configure authorized_keys to restrict commands to rsync only or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

sb hermit posted:

I know sftp has been around as long as about ssh2 but I have never seen it used in any documentation or testing or production stuff. I think I've seen gui based file transfer clients for windows that might have used it, but that's about it.

I use rsync for everything, since it does both local and remote copy. But I'll use scp in edge cases or if I feel like it.

The only reason I could see a recommendation for sftp is maybe to reduce attack surface. But if everyone is using rsync anyway, it would just be easier to configure authorized_keys to restrict commands to rsync only or something

yeah towards the end it was more "there are windows guis" than anything, but when i pointed out rsync has way better transfer characteristics simply because it's not going file by goddamn file that seemed to settle it

they were initially agitating about it being less secure so i was basically like, okay, so sftp is also? lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
sftp is just a module for the ssh server isn't it? mostly replaces scp by not being awfully slow is what i got from it, but if you're already using rsync i don't think it matters

you can limit ssh connections to sftp only which doesn't let you access a real shell, but if you're doing that you can also make it so your backup ssh key can only access rsync and is read only :shrug:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Truga posted:

sftp is just a module for the ssh server isn't it? mostly replaces scp by not being awfully slow is what i got from it, but if you're already using rsync i don't think it matters

you can limit ssh connections to sftp only which doesn't let you access a real shell, but if you're doing that you can also make it so your backup ssh key can only access rsync and is read only :shrug:

it seems to differ based on the implementation actually. some of the guis sftp guy was yelling about didn't work with dropbear, but openssh was ok. tbh i'm not sure there's an actual standard, which is another mark against it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

z/os, at least the testing vms i use occasionally, are set up so that sftp transfers files as is and scp converts files to/from ebcdic as they are transferred. only time i've really used sftp.

also funny when i forget which is which and download an ascii file from the z system using scp and it's unreadable because it was helpfully translated from "ebcdic" on the way over.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it depends on what you're trying do do. if you need to repeatedly copy the data and want to take advantage of the benefits rsync brings to the table, use rsync over ssh. if you aren't using trying to synchronize directories between two machines, and aren't taking advantage of incremental transfers (if you're moving tarballs, it sounds like you aren't), then getting rsync involved is needlessly complex and you really should just be using the sftp subsystem built in to ssh.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

tbh i'm not sure there's an actual standard, which is another mark against it

lolwat

https://www.sftp.net/specification

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it depends on what you're trying do do. if you need to repeatedly copy the data and want to take advantage of the benefits rsync brings to the table, use rsync over ssh. if you aren't using trying to synchronize directories between two machines, and aren't taking advantage of incremental transfers (if you're moving tarballs, it sounds like you aren't), then getting rsync involved is needlessly complex and you really should just be using the sftp subsystem built in to ssh.

nah, that was worded poorly. i've got the rsync output being piped to tar on the client

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

so its... not standardized? lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if it's secure enough and the systems administrators are familiar with it, I see little reason to change from rsync to sftp

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

so its... not standardized? lol

that page links to the twenty year old ietf standard implemented by pretty much every server

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-02

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

chatting with our it sec guys today about something and said "I mean look, if you want to treat it like that just go and cut the cables so there's no internet access at all" and the response was "if I could cut every connection to this building, i would".

can't disagree with them tbh

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

if it's secure enough and the systems administrators are familiar with it, I see little reason to change from rsync to sftp

the biggest issue with rsync these days is that it's relatively heavy weight and isn't everywhere. it especially isn't often found on systems running dropbear as op has mentioned -- not due to lack of compatibility, but because you run dropbear on resource constrained machines like embedded devices.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that page links to the twenty year old ietf standard implemented by pretty much every server

true enough, but lots of the newer features dont seem to be widely implemented :shrug:

it doesn't really matter anyway rsync won the day

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

except, apparently, dropbear

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

except, apparently, dropbear

dropbear happily supports sftp using the sftp component from openssh. dropbear just doesn't ship with it's own sftp component.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

chatting with our it sec guys today about something and said "I mean look, if you want to treat it like that just go and cut the cables so there's no internet access at all" and the response was "if I could cut every connection to this building, i would".

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

We get good cell reception. Maybe everyone should just run spotify on their smartphones.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sb hermit posted:

We get good cell reception. Maybe everyone should just run spotify on their smartphones.

if you're really serious you ban phones too.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i guy i know had his workplace do exactly that after repeated hacking attempts

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Just created a rule to report every email I receive as phishing. What are the implications of this rule?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

3hands posted:

Just created a rule to report every email I receive as phishing. What are the implications of this rule?

the people receiving the reports get mad at you; you never receive any emails because they’re automatically removed as part of the report - the implications of this are up to your organization

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That's always the problem isn't it? Some dumb environment or dev or C-suite guy or whatever says "We need this server to be isolated from everything."
Me responding hopefully. "Everything, really?"
Dev "Yes everything, this needs to be it's own environment isolated from everything."
"Great!"
Create an unrouteable vlan with the server on it and a bastion host for access.

2-weeks later....Actually we need access to github, the internet, my home IP address, our AD envrionment, full access to prod, and an incoming webhook so we can get to it from a customers AWS account.
:suicide:

mystes
May 31, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That's always the problem isn't it? Some dumb environment or dev or C-suite guy or whatever says "We need this server to be isolated from everything."
Dev "Yes everything, this needs to be it's own environment isolated from everything."
"Great!"

2-weeks later....Actually we need access to github, the internet, my home IP address, our AD envrionment, full access to prod, and an incoming webhook so we can get to it from a customers AWS account.
When they tell you to create an environment that's isolated from everything just say you did it. How will they know? Then when they ask for it to be connected to stuff just spin up a new vm for real.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

"Great!"

sounds familiar. needs more ipsec tunnels to other random networks it has no business being connected to, just for futureproofing sake tho.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Truga posted:

fyi i've been using https://rdiff-backup.net/ for over a decade now for periodically making mirrors, it's insanely good

I like GoodSync, cross platform-ish with nice UI and it can do SFTP and differential backups but also supports all kinds of cloud poo poo too

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

holy poo poo this has gotta be the weirdest investment I've ever heard of.

Back in 2019, the University of Maastricht was hit by cryptolocker malware. After a week the university decided to pay the 200K eur ransom in bitcoins because they were about to permanently lose a lot of important data.

The police managed to track the bitcoins and found a way to seize a crypto wallet from a mondey launderer recently. They returned the original bitcoins to the university, but since the bitcoins had a net rise in value since 2019, they're now worth 500K eur.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They only recovered 4.54 of the 30 bits coin that were paid as ransom, but in euro it's 2.5x as much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

Back in 2019, the University of Maastricht was hit by cryptolocker malware. After a week the university decided to pay the 200K eur ransom in bitcoins because they were about to permanently lose a lot of important data.

The police managed to track the bitcoins and found a way to seize a crypto wallet from a mondey launderer recently. They returned the original bitcoins to the university, but since the bitcoins had a net rise in value since 2019, they're now worth 500K eur.

they're not worth that much now lol

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

they're not worth that much now lol

Apparently they seized the wallet last year so maybe they managed to cash out just before the crash, news only came out now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the numbers don't really add up. if they've recovered 4.54 bitcoin like dutch media is reporting, and it's worth €500k, then the price should have been €110k per coin and it never went anywhere near that high.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

oh wait the 4.54 were from the university but tye wallet they seized had other coins on it too, and they seized all of it.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Carbon dioxide posted:

thank you, heartwarming ransomware stories are so rare

i think the last one was the ukrainian that leaked a ton of chatlogs from a ransomware group

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sb hermit posted:

I wish to push this 500k merge into your source tree but I require 10K lines from you as a good faith investment

Criminally undernoticed post

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Volmarias posted:

Criminally undernoticed post

Thank you! I also hope someone picked up on

sb hermit posted:

The SMS should say "You are transferring $5000 to Kirk to purchase a ticket to the Razor afterparty. To confirm, repeat the following code to the service agent: 80085"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ah yes, the classic Nigerian PRince scam

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

sb hermit posted:

Thank you! I also hope someone picked up on

should be razer

edit: actually kirk spelled it razor, it's canon

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842&userid=42391

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:
https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1544417552843116545

Severity: High

The OpenSSL 3.0.4 release introduced a serious bug in the RSA implementation for X86_64 CPUs supporting the AVX512IFMA instructions.

This issue makes the RSA implementation with 2048 bit private keys incorrect on such machines and memory corruption will happen during the computation. As a consequence of the memory corruption an attacker may be able to trigger a remote code execution on the machine performing the computation.

SSL/TLS servers or other servers using 2048 bit RSA private keys running on machines supporting AVX512IFMA instructions of the X86_64 architecture are affected by this issue.