Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Paper OTP tokens?

Something like

https://privacyidea.readthedocs.io/en/v2.22/configuration/tokens/paper.html

edit: comedy answer
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/papers/otp-faq/

bonus for non HTTPS page.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Was extremely annoyed when I went to pay the $40. Their website had a ‘pay random amount’ option that let you input any number you wanted. I paid the entire thing in 50 cent increments in the hopes there’s some floor for credit card processing fees and that the whole thing cost them more than they made. Y’all don’t know poo poo about HIPAA and your app sucks gently caress you

actual cyberpunk

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

https://your.mom

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lysidas posted:

yeah what is the best way to do this thats most accessible people who arent technically inclined?

my first thought was that it would be awesome to have a totp key maybe generating two six-digit codes from a shared key or idk one key for the hospital system and one generated for the patient, so the nurse says their generated six-digit code, the person who they call checks against what the app says it should be, and then gives their own code back, so the hospital first authenticates with the patient, then vice versa

i dont do much security threat modeling or analysis so idk whether theres a security problem with that which hasnt occurred to me yet, let alone the complete inability for most of the population to deal with that authentication flow

"What now? I don't know what code you're talking about, why do I need a secret code anyway, it's my spouse! Why won't you just tell me what I need to know! Oh, is that so? Well I wonder what the ombudsman will say about th- you can? Great! That wasn't so hard, was it?"

It's 100% going to be SMS based auth codes if they even do require a code.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

from the big outage of Air Traffic Control in the UK the other day:

quote:

The problems began when a flight plan was received at the Nats headquarters in Swanwick, Hampshire, containing duplicate waypoints — five-letter capitalised words that are used to navigate aircraft — that made the system believe the plane would leave UK airspace prior to entering it.

The report said that the “plan included two waypoints along its route that were geographically distinct but which have the same designator”. It was delivered correctly into Nats’s system from Eurocontrol, the European airspace manager, but would corrupt the system because of the erroneous waypoint.

Once a flight plan is received, Nats computers decode it and focus on the section that is relevant to British airspace, starting by searching from the beginning of the data to find the UK airspace entry point.

“This was successfully found,” the report said. “Next, it searches backwards, from the end of that section, to find the UK airspace exit point. This did not appear in that section of the flight plan so the search was unsuccessful. As there is no requirement for a flight plan to contain an exit waypoint from a Flight Information Region or a country’s airspace, the software is designed to cope with this scenario.”

In such an eventuality the system begins searching for the nearest point beyond the UK exit point. This was also not present. The software therefore moved on to the next waypoint. This search was successful, although it had found the duplicate waypoint.

The report said: “Having found an entry and exit point, with the latter being the duplicate and therefore geographically incorrect, the software could not extract a valid UK portion of flight plan between these two points. This is the root cause of the incident. We can therefore rule out any cyber-related contribution.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/air-traffic-control-french-airline-blame-travel-chaos-2023-fsgrwqmg5

OK that does seem like a pretty one-off type of scenario, but having the whole system go into Safe Mode and not be accessible from it seems excessive..?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at least we can rule out any cyber

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

is it just me or is that explanation utter gibberish?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

the guardian is right to be wary because this is exactly how every spam call scam works. In the end its an intractable problem. A provider cant give information out to whoever they call cause of patient privacy and the patient shouldnt give information to whoever calls because of their own privacy.

what the nurse should have done was provide a callback number that can be found on the hospital website along with an extension/id the caller can punch in to get back to either the same or other available nurse who could continue the call.

use challenge/response keys like in the Bourne Identity, also you can then indicate if you're under duress

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Oneiros posted:

is it just me or is that explanation utter gibberish?

it's someone trying to explain code in low-level detail without using too many big words. not really sure why they bothered but i guess some exec needed reassurance that it was just a software fuckup and not a malicious cyber attack, and then insisted that they put that reassurance in the press release.

the relevant information is that:

- pilots use waypoints
- these waypoints have 5-letter names
- waypoint names are not globally unique (they just need to sound different from any nearby waypoints they could be confused with)
- the software barfed when given a route that went through two waypoints with the same name

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

specifically the

"In such an eventuality the system begins searching for the nearest point beyond the UK exit point. This was also not present. The software therefore moved on to the next waypoint. This search was successful, although it had found the duplicate waypoint."

is what doesn't make any sense. ok, there are two waypoints in the list with the same "id" sure. it can't find an exit point from the uk searching backwards from the end of the flight plan so it just selects the next waypoint from the entry point which has a duplicate id and is also four thousand km away?

if i squint i can kinda make out what happened but it requires so many awful design decisions and total fuckups of error handling that it kinda boggles the mind

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ye, i get that it's a journalist trying to relay the details of an algorithm described to them but even given that it sounds hosed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i mean it sounds like there's one bad decision (to use waypoint names as unique keys) that was probably made forty years ago, and mostly doesn't cause problems in practice (since waypoint names probably are actually unique within the uk), and everything else kinda just follows from that

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
yeah this is someone explaining a deeply nested set of conditionals and I assume regexs. I'm gonna talk about this at work because our problem space involves parsing flat files into structured data and tossing it into a complex set of conditionals. it's a good example of why you need robust test data and need to validate inputs and why you need to think about the consequences of failing closed versus failing open. no doubt some guy squinted at some conditional indented into his coworkers screen and said "there's no way anything legit gets here, just shut the whole thing down".

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

from what i can put together it's basically looking at a list of waypoints like

aaa - bbb - ccc -|- ddd - eee - ffff -|- ggg - hhh - iii - ddd - jjj

each waypoint code either represents a totally unique positional reference in which case somebody planning the flight hosed up and validations failed or may in fact be a member of a completely different coordinate system but whatever

the system crawls the list up to ddd where it determines the flight plan has entered the u.k.'s airspace

the system then goes thru the list backwards until it hits another ddd waypoint upon which it thinks it has gotten back into u.k. airspace. since it thinks the exit point it found is the same as the entry based on the id it just bumps the exit point up one node to jjj. except jjj is four thousand miles from the first ddd so at this point some sanity check catches it and then the whole system degrades to "safe mode" because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i'd loving fail a freshman cs assignment for this poo poo

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

but ye this

uninterrupted posted:

no doubt some guy squinted at some conditional indented into his coworkers screen and said "there's no way anything legit gets here, just shut the whole thing down".

this is why you always validate/sanitize your inputs at the boundary between where you don't give a gently caress and give a gently caress

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

trying to recover from unexpected errors is often extremely difficult and fragile, largely impossible to test and hard to design. failing visibly and as completely as is necessary to not risk having some lingering issue is cool and good.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

nah, if your air traffic control system's response to someone submitting a "malformed" flight plan is to completely shut down an entire loving country's air travel for a day then literally ever single person involved should be bared from touching computers (or managing computer touchers) again. there were undoubtably human process issues as well and every single person involved in those decisions should be finding new work as well.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

trying to recover from unexpected errors is often extremely difficult and fragile, largely impossible to test and hard to design. failing visibly and as completely as is necessary to not risk having some lingering issue is cool and good.

Oneiros posted:

nah, if your air traffic control system's response to someone submitting a "malformed" flight plan is to completely shut down an entire loving country's air travel for a day then literally ever single person involved should be bared from touching computers (or managing computer touchers) again.

the two genders

fake edit this is exactly why it's a good example. the definition of "fail as visibly and completely as necessary" is a business logic problem, and varies wildly between air control systems, and fart apps, and artificial hearts, and payments.

poo poo from 2021 to 2023 broken auth went from the top issue to the top 5 issues because these are hard requirements to nail down.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Oneiros posted:

nah, if your air traffic control system's response to someone submitting a "malformed" flight plan is to completely shut down an entire loving country's air travel for a day then literally ever single person involved should be bared from touching computers (or managing computer touchers) again. there were undoubtably human process issues as well and every single person involved in those decisions should be finding new work as well.

This isn't that constructive. It's effectively saying "welp, no way to learn from mistakes, start over from square one."

If this were the position companies actually took, this wouldn't result in anything but an even quicker race to the bottom as companies replaced their semi-experienced engineers with even more unqualified candidates. But hey, good excuse to pay a whole lot of people a whole lot less for even lower quality.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Half-wit posted:

This isn't that constructive.

what's not constructive is cancelling a thousand flights and hundreds of thousands of peoples' travel plans because you can't work out error handling

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Oneiros posted:

i hope you do understand that air traffic control is super duper risk averse and if the operators could go "well something is fucky but lets continue nevertheless" this could very much end up with tons of civilian casualties

my assumption is that stuff like this was developed and tested during the time where you could fly over russia, and now due to rerouting of the flights over the arctic you can very well have two identically named waypoints that happen to be pretty much on the other side of the world and also next to each other on the itinerary

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

4lokos basilisk posted:

i hope you do understand that air traffic control is super duper risk averse and if the operators could go "well something is fucky but lets continue nevertheless" this could very much end up with tons of civilian casualties

being risk averse in such a critical system good. taking the whole system down instead of rejecting a "bad" flight plan is not

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It was an unanticipated error scenario. Why should they assume that such a scenario is always contained to the flight plan for which it triggers, and not a symptom of a wider-reaching problem?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Slashrat posted:

It was an unanticipated error scenario. Why should they assume that such a scenario is always contained to the flight plan for which it triggers, and not a symptom of a wider-reaching problem?

they trusted it for the other fifteen million flight plans they processed. could a cosmic ray have flipped a critical bit and now every single flight is suspect or could maybe their input validations have a gap?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Somebody must have thought the only way to get into that condition was a fuckup in the navpoint database and I think that might justify a system pause.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Somebody must have thought the only way to get into that condition was a fuckup in the navpoint database and I think that might justify a system pause.

possibly, tho i suspect that they just trusted any input to the system at that point / from that access point and just did not have any decent error handling

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, does your take boil down to "they should have just thought of everything", with the rider "they should fire the people working on it to hire some that would think of everything a bit harder"?

otherwise one does have to face the question of how to react to a truly unanticipated failure in some way.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

if by "thought of everything" you mean "maybe the data we're ingesting from an external system isn't to be trusted" and that error handling of an individual flight plan should mean something other than SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN, sure

but i know a lot of computer touchers paid with funny money are allergic to ever facing consequences for their actions

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
guarantee you that if things had failed open in a way that caused injury or loss of life, the same person currently employing their 20/20 hindsight to declare that everyone involved is A Huge Fuckup That Should Be Fired And Permanently Banned From Working With Computers would still be declaring that it was a huge fuckup and the system should instead have been designed to fail safe

the only real difference is that in that scenario they'd be right

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
this is why business logic is an ongoing problem.

say you've got a pacemaker. pacemaker needs to deliver shocks based on rules passed to it by a config. that config is checked against, whatever, an ongoing EKG and drops shocks accordingly.
what's a good failure state? it stops running? it drops a shock every x minutes? can you even have an alarm blare on a pacemaker? do you get an email that your heart is dying?

ideal world, the pacemaker has some rules at the config change, where it rejects rules like "shock whenever heart rate is above 0" and keeps the old config. but also it should keep a log of old readings, and fail the same way if the new rules would make it shock a heart 1000% more than previous in an hour.
ALSO it should have some failsafe mechanism, where if it has a default mode it can fail to where it's delivering the minimal shocks needed to keep someone alive when some boundary has been crossed in BP/HR/whatever.
it's not just a matter of "fail open or fail closed", it's a matter of "where can we afford to fail" and "how do we isolate where we can fail with minimal repercussions and beat the absolute poo poo out of the data we will be processing" and "how do we know we are in the critical flow where failing means a corpse" and "how we handle being at a critical point where there's a non-zero chance a bug is murdering this patient".

im sure someone who's worked with embedded medical devices would say this is woefully incomplete, but the point is failure stakes are high here. and they're very different from whether or not your next tinder match had the same id as the previous one.

actual edit:

and the reason this is such a motherfucker is tools can't find this out of the box. insecure dependencies? Toss ECR and dependabot at your poo poo, they'll find all of it. insecure cryptography? most SAST will scream if you add "skip ssl check" options. most well used lib that touch sql will have basic sqli controls, along with sast behind it. business logic is the one thing where devsecopsproduct need to actually talk about poo poo that can go wrong and put up hand-crafted guardrails.

uninterrupted fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 6, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yes, loving up in a completely different way is exactly the same. what an amazing observation. you win.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 6, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Oneiros posted:

yes, loving up in a completely different way is completely different. what an amazing observation. you win.

it's not completely different. you need to choose how you handle unanticipated failures.

(if you try to say "i will just anticipate everything" instead of making a choice then you're an idiot, lol. and you're just choosing to handle them in an arbitrary and unpredictable fashion.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tbf i feel like provably handling every possible input sanely when the inputs are as well-defined as they are in this case isn't actually out of the question, especially with the timescales and budgets allotted to safety-critical systems like ATC

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the "unanticipated failure" here is that someone submitted a flight plan that does not make sense (according to the algorithm we have for
analyzing these things)

do you
a) reject the flight plan
b) cancel most of the flights scheduled that day

if you answer b congratulations, you have a bright future in government contracts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they forgot to use waypoint_real_escape_string() and this is what happened

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sounds like we don’t have enough information to determine if this was actually correct error handling or not. Industry experts do think it’s abnormal to shut down automated ATC for an invalid flight plan, but the company that made the software thinks they handled the error correctly:

quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/30/uk-air-traffic-control-failure-what-caused-it-and-who-will-have-to-pay

Does Nats not have a backup system?

Yes it does. According to its chief executive, Martin Rolfe, “several layers of backup” exist, but apparently the dodgy data caused the secondary automatic processing system to be suspended “to ensure that no incorrect safety-related information could be presented to an air traffic controller or impact the rest of the air traffic system”.

How could just one faulty flight plan cause this?

Nats has not really explained this yet. Willie Walsh, the director general of the global airlines body, Iata, said it was “staggering” that inputting a single flight plan incorrectly could knock the whole system over. Pilots say plans can frequently be rejected. Rolfe said the whole system did not fail and that airspace was slowed down rather closed down, but that the computers were “designed to fail safely” to isolate the problem.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

tbf i feel like provably handling every possible input sanely when the inputs are as well-defined as they are in this case isn't actually out of the question, especially with the timescales and budgets allotted to safety-critical systems like ATC

i doubt the inputs are well defined because you probably have neat boeing 747 flight plans and then you also need to handle rando cessna enthusiast flight plans that might not be as rigorously formatted

like whatever automated system that ingests the flight plans has to be super compatible with everything and i also believe was last updated in the 90s by some greybeards which means that it has been somehow kept running ever since

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Sounds like we don’t have enough information to determine if this was actually correct error handling or not. Industry experts do think it’s abnormal to shut down automated ATC for an invalid flight plan, but the company that made the software thinks they handled the error correctly:

company that makes the software says that actually everything is fine. no problems here.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
i don't even own a radar :c00lbert:

atc in my country uses radio and paper flight strips. the recent attempt to implement some software solution was a garbage fire. and still no in-country radar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

i doubt the inputs are well defined because you probably have neat boeing 747 flight plans and then you also need to handle rando cessna enthusiast flight plans that might not be as rigorously formatted

just going by the description i'm assuming the actual file format is parsed at a lower level and not at "the machine that controls the entirety of UK airspace" level, and we're not just dealing with "someone sent in an XML file but forgot to escape a <" or whatever. i mean maybe not but it sounds like this is an actual logic problem with a big list of waypoints that are otherwise valid (as in they're real waypoints submitted in a valid format that only causes a problem once it starts trying to connect them together) and that kind of thing seems like the sort of well-defined problem space you absolutely can account for every possibility in, or even formally verify