Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
if you’re just gonna make up a title for yourself at least pick something more ambitious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
the head of the math department typed his password in clear text over the projector once, and we used his account to hide disc images of games all over the school network

i work in education administration software and anecdotally the number of kids getting into stuff via
compromised faculty accounts has shot up in the last couple academic years

it used to be (like 5 years ago) something we would hear about a 1-2 times per year across hundreds of client schools, and the schools with repeat problems were generally schools that specifically dealt with difficult kids so they weren’t usually surprised

now it’s more like 1-2 per month

there’s one private religious school we deal with (very on the religious side) where it’s an absolute scourge and they are completely powerless to stop the kids from getting into the faculty accounts

the kid(s) doing it even figured out that just editing grades is too obvious and gets caught, and they figured out how to set up custom grading keys per-student and were messing with assignment weighting in grade books so the grade rounds up instead of down without changing the underlying assignment grades. like half the internal folks here don’t even know how to do that stuff without someone holding their hand

it kinda owns, usually high school kids are dumb and do things like delete all their attendance records so they go from 20 absences to 0 overnight

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

looks like email scammers are trying a new tactic: a scam within a warning about a scam. i think that's what he's getting at anyway.

Nigerian bank scammers using segmented marketing aimed at their core demographic of people who are currently entangled in a Nigerian bank scam

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
“to protect the privacy of all involved we will not be naming the vendor responsible, tennessee based perceptics llc, at this time.”

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
so that CBP hack was waaaay worse than initially reported

Hacked documents reveal sensitive details of expanding border surveillance

quote:

That assessment, however, woefully understates the number of sensitive documents that are now freely available on the Web — so much material, totaling hundreds of gigabytes, that The Washington Post required several days of computer time to capture it all.

The documents offer an unusually intimate glimpse of the machinery that U.S. officials depend on for the constant monitoring of legal immigration through the border. They also illuminate the government’s plans for expanding its use of license plate readers and facial-recognition cameras, including such details as how many cameras are focused on which traffic lanes at some of the busiest border crossings in the world.

The hoard of hacked documents includes detailed schematics, confidential agreements, equipment lists, budget spreadsheets, internal photos and hardware blueprints for security systems.

Among potentially sensitive government material are internal Department of Homeland Security handbooks, border surveillance diagrams and dozens of signed nondisclosure agreements between the subcontractor and government authorities, as well as companies such as Microsoft and the defense-contracting giant Northrop Grumman. Microsoft and Northrop Grumman did not respond to requests for comment.

The files also offer extensive detail on — and, in some cases, a literal road map to — equipment that has been installed at U.S. military bases and the United States’ most highly trafficked border gateways.

there’s more too. whoever got in seems to have made off with essentially everything the contractor had. seems bad.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but that is how ssns work? do you not pay the yearly renewal fee?

it’s frustrating that I have to pay the government in iTunes / amazon gift cards though

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

same but cloud thingies. heck imagine asking them to pay rent for password fillers.

you know what doesn’t cost me anything and works flawlessly

hunter2

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Krankenstyle posted:

also, i got a spam offering to supply my needs for these quality products:

so if anyone needs a hookup, lemme know. nb: shipping is from burkina faso

do u still know a guy who can get copper cathode

plz it’s important

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
one of the sales guys I work with used to have the “auto-enable webcams for participants” option enabled by default on all his Zoom meetings, and good lord that’s not a feature that ought to exist in the first place.

after like seven months of occasionally agitating clients - or more often getting people who had no idea their video was on until we told them - I asked why he did it and he was like “because I have no idea how to make it stop, I hate it so much”

when our company switched to zoom a couple years ago, the Zoom rep said on one call that it’s like their single biggest differentiator and people go wild for it in product demos and that saving people “the hassle” (which here is 1 or 2 clicks, I guess) is what gets them clients.

which is just unfathomable to me, I’ve only ever seen it make people unhappy. the fact that they view it as absolutely critical and will basically turn to malware tactics to force their way to the needed permissions is just crazy.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I stopped using pihole for a few months because I borrowed the pi for something else

went back to using it this weekend and it’s amazing how much snappier the whole internet feels

pretty gross that I can block a full third of the requests coming from my home network and nothing of value is lost.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

klosterdev posted:

Accurate, but iirc it was still making hundreds-to-thousands of queries per day to cdn.samsungcloudsolution.com before I added it to the blocklist. Only reason I noticed it was because it was top of the list of queried allowed domains.

my Vizio is equally aggressive about phoning home - it does it a few times per minute if successful, but will go absolutely bananas and spam requests for two domains (the main one and a secondary one) literally once per second if you block it

I was pleased to see that if you do go digging in the menus for the opt out, it immediately stops doing any requests as far as I can tell

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
rather than do any actual security training or... anything else as far as I can tell, my company has decided they can check a compliance checkbox somewhere but signing up for a service that sends us a 5 minute cartoon twice per month, on the subject of internet security.

it’s kind of like if you took a random headline from the Risky Business pod and were told to explain it to a 3 year old using a flash cartoonz

it can’t be funny or interesting because it’s a product purchased by soulless corporations who don’t take the issue seriously.

so every story becomes “don’t click the phishing link” or “don’t reuse passwords” or “don’t install unapproved software on work computers” followed by a 3 question quiz.

I did the first few, but they are so incredibly boring I stopped and nobody ever hassled me about it.

apparently some HR goober is trying to justify their existence because they emailed while we were closed on Friday to inform me I hadn’t completed any of the required videos for two and a half years.

and that I should find the time to do that in the next week or two.

so the rest of my afternoon is playing with my new vape and watching internet security cartoons for people who’ve never used a computer

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

Im /nas/content/live/parler/wp-content/uploads

nice, hIP9PEV6u1GXfG4F8jEA here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
happened with the guy posting classified tank info to win arguments on the war thunder forums

sorry, I mean guys. multiple guys, in three separate incidents.