Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
IS zone alarm still good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
In other news, apparently apple is using facial recognition in their stores storing people's faces, and then using it to press charges on shoplifters regardless of the match being good or not:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/23/teen-sues-apple-billion-blames-facial-recognition-stores-his-arrest/

If that had been a black person they would have been just executed on the spot.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Trabisnikof posted:

the thief used the person’s stolen ID there isn’t any facial recognition involved at all?

quote:

His attorney told The Washington Post that the permit may have been presented as identification at an Apple store, erroneously connecting Bah’s name with the thief’s face in the company’s security system. That means every time the perpetrator walked into an Apple store, his face would register as Bah, the attorney said.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
just open mysql workbench and change the password on the db

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Vomik posted:

they don’t live in Russia nor is the company based in Russia.

Russia has no problem murdering its own citizens abroad

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have seen these backdoors on most manufacturers, they are usually lovely security practices and policies. Afterall I did find a way to telnet to my cable modem in 2000 to access some hidden configuration from outside the network. And it was a 3com not huwaei

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"to login, please enter characters 9, 17 and 23 of your password"

I really hate banks that do this

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The teachers/professors I've had couldn't care less about if we were playing or installing games as they were not the ones being graded.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
bank of america asks you to login to their app or online banking to confirm identity, chase used to ask for your atm pin, not sure what it does now.

Celexi fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 10, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I secure my servers with admin user and admin password, you saying thats not secure op?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
You can just save the file to your cloud folder and open that one, easy!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Chrome is fine with the right add-ons and settings, firefox left a bad taste when it kept getting exploited at the end of last decade for me.

I might try it more if you could create shortcuts for websites in firefox that open in their window with no address bar and can have it on the taskbar.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I just run holyos with a network stack

unhackable

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I think we need a new thread.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
tvs have poo poo response times and brighter backlights and lower pixel densities since they are made to be seen at distance dont use one as monitor.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Microsoft had released its own anti-cheat for windows 10, TruePlay which no one used and seems to also have quietly vanished from windows 10, there is still a non functional link for it in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/graphics-and-multimedia though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
not sure if it's been posted yet but nano adblocker was sold to "Turkish developers" that updated it to send login cookies to a remote server and change behavior when development console in a browser is opened.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
ssn to direct message people hahaha what the gently caress lmao

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I wonder how much work for home has added to systems being vulnerable, as a russian agent can show up in your home with a large crowbar, blackmail and threaten you to put in some code or show something that they wouldn't be otherwise able to in a regular work setting

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am not sure they would care about a strongly worded letter after they return to Russia or elsewhere.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shame Boy posted:

they did it again earlier this year when nobody was looking due to covid
I am glad I don't work for a FAANG or have access to anything important so I don't have to setup automated sentries outside and a bunker incase the russians raid me or something.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

~Coxy posted:

dunno why you bother to mention FF when Safari is right there at #2 with ~20%

safari is webkit too

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
windows 8.1 with classic shell was fine, classic shell is inferior to win 10 start or search though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
maybe people will stop cargo cult praising ubiquity

lmao they won't

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sickening posted:

I still scratch my head at people using the browser on a phone at all. What do you do in the browser that you can't have a better experience with the corresponding app? Even the people in my life without computers rarely use a browser for anything.

Ah yes let me install an app that I will use once ever or once in a year, that tracks and probably runs in background!

Brilliant!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Disable iMessage/FaceTime if you are a target as it is being exploited in the wild apparently due to apple's insistence of loading everything by default

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Not sure if anyone had linked this before here:

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1424734523519025152

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

possibly stupid question. am i wrong thinking that using the same app for pw management and totp generation means reducing your 2fa to 1fa? i guess it’s a question of threat model, with physical access like that they could just hit me a few times with a 2x4 and my specific choice of apps would cease to matter at all

I only really use the same app for 2fa for stuff that I won't care about getting broken into. Not sure I trust using the same app for both

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my pc is broadcasting an ip

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Methanar posted:

lol that own3d would up being the less scummy streaming site in the end

I did a streaming stint for own3d and knew an employee, we were the first with quite high video quality and an adjustable delay for competitive purposes but it was hard to fight off twitch with its deep pockets and venture capital not being interested on it since it was based in europe

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Down here in California, one house often has brownouts in winter, the other power gets unstable when windy. Cheaper to buy an UPS than to replace hardware.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Progressive JPEG posted:

technically I was testing it at the time, I unplugged it from power and it dutifully beeped once and then shut off. it was only powering a router, switch, and a couple APs and it didn't really matter but it was a pretty big letdown

in terms of actual power outages i've only seen one outage of about five minutes over the last 3+ years so the UPS has been kind of overkill. i ended up just removing it and unplugging the battery until i've had a chance to try diagnosing it (thinking dead battery but could be something else idk)

My ups have USB ports for charging devices, if a bit useless as it is behind the desk between the desk and wall and inaccessible.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't care how long it will last on battery as much as I don't want the stuff plugged to it to get fried or fry itself in a brownout if the battery fails after it disconnected from AC and the computer shut off with no hardware damage that is good enough

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The computer PSU is like ~$150 or so and is designed to absorb power irregularities and protect the sensitive components it's providing power for. Worse case you replace the PSU.

A PSU is not designed to absorb power irregularities and they won't save you from a sudden high overcurrent/voltage from a blown transformer or lightning

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I keep my passwords open in an excel window when I log into my pc after exporting them everyday from lastpass

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mediaphage posted:

fortunately we’re starting to see things like zigbee only thermostats which you can at least limit access to from outside of your network

ecobee started with their first thermostats having zigbee along with wi-fi, not anymore though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Well several services are warning me state sponsored actors trying to get into my stuff. Why me lol?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the only people I talk on imessage are the average white suburban american, other tghan those signal/whatsapp/ regular chat apps/discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
if you don't trust a network you shouldn't be running anything on it without a VPN. the few times I used school or hotel networks without one I can't say I felt comfortable with it.