Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

duz posted:

i just wish that either we could use a version of kronos that doesnt require java or hr would go back to doing their job so we dont need to use kronos

Specifically Java 1.7u9? 'cause my employer thinks that will work fine, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

duz posted:

probably, i know i have to keep acknowledging that it is insecure for it to display anything

We're supposed to use the most insecure settings possible, to minimize the inconvenience of using Java 7 on IE 11 on Windows 10.
And the internal Kronos team refuses to update it, and C-suite won't make them, even after having one of my supers present a list of 70+ critical CVEs for JRE 1.7.0u9 at the last security meeting! :thumbsup:

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you want to mitigate on the client side, push settings that crank up the JRE default security level to Highest (defaults to either high or medium) which should put it in a mode where it will only invoke jars with user consent or auto-launch if they're in the trusted url list

Users complained or or declined at the prompt (and then complained the site wouldn't load), so our official procedure is to specifically select all the least secure settings!
As for using trusted URLs, not sure, the decisions were made long before I got here.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

My only hope is that MS will someday break compatibility w/ Java 7 on Win10, but since they seem pretty okay with Windows being a sort of Katamari for bugs, it's a very faint hope.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

it didn't get one until version 5 (ctrl-f flashlight on this page) so ~10% of android devices in the wild don't have it.

That the HTC 10, which has not gotten any updates in a year now, due to being discontinued for even longer than that, is still ahead of the majority of Androids, due to being on 8.0 is pretty funny

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yet another reason you shouldnt be using spotify and instead just buy your music on bandcamp

:agreed:

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

There are reasons not to use the same key everywhere beyond limiting scope if a key is compromised, including but not limited to: https://rushter.com/blog/public-ssh-keys/

Anyway, OpenSSH is deprecating RSA keys in a future release.

Anyone happen to know if there are options for using other key types on a Yubikey 5?

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

when i got a new yubikey for my usb-c laptop (p sure that's a yubikey 5 model) i generated ed25519 keys on it and it's fine with that :shrug:

Good to know, thanks.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

Current yubikey stance is either challenge response or hotp

https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013779759-Using-Your-YubiKey-with-KeePass

both require plugins so if you want to use your yubikey on mobile apps you might be stuffed depending on the app.

Challenge-response "just works" with keypassxc, in my experience. I've also used Strongbox on iOS, where it's a paid feature, but it works, and "Keepass2Android Password Safe" works on Android, both will open a keepassxc DB.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

Troll some random person by dropping it in a well-trafficked parkinglot and let them drive themselves mad trying to figure out what to use it on.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

NFX posted:

a recruiter from crowdstrike reached out, what's the thread's general opinion of them? im not particularly inclined to even respond, but a bit surprised that they have an office here

in dont even mean as a place to work at, just their general image.

i know i've seen them called clownstrike and "<role> @ crowdstrike a 60B company" is very cringey but i haven't actually interacted with them or their products ever

My employer switch to them (partially at my urging because at the time we were using Cylance which is dire) and it's been good so far. It doesn't generate a constant stream of false-positives or cause issues on our PCs. The sales & support people actually talked to us all normal like instead of of giving us a lot of "It'll be fine trust me" BS. I've never looked at working for them but the customer experience has been good so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

zokie posted:

Clownstrike ate my cpu, then it ate binaries that I compiled. But in the end I think the problem is how it’s used. The dipshit ITSEC ppl at my job have turned of any client side notifications to “avoid tipping of the bad guys” which meant I was extremely frustrated when .exe files I created just went poof… I only figured it out because the same thing happened to a colleague earlier, then they contacted him 2 weeks after the thing happened.

I much prefer it to TLS inspection, and I don’t see how it can run on developer machines without causing more trouble than anything good

We haven't had those issues. I helped make sure that devs are in a policy group separate from general users though. And we get alerts that are acted on by either us or Crowstrike's support within a few minutes. Someone probably has to do some configuration work. I haven't noticed their sensor using significant resources on Windows or Linux machines. Haven't tried it on Macs.