Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shame Boy posted:

that reminds me, we once had a customer that demanded the ability to log in (over the network!) using just their badges and no password or anything else. no problem, they must be smart card badges and we can just use PKI right?

lol no, they're laminated cardstock from a laser printer with a barcode on them, and the barcode encodes the username and nothing else. they'd been using these for years and couldn't understand why we had such a problem with the whole thing. :thumbsup:

my work badge is a piece of plastic with just my name, title, and a low-res image of the company logo that you can probably find an exact .jpg of on our public website. no chips, no barcodes, no photo. this was instituted because some manager(s) with enough clout are obsessed with mass shootings. so yeah now we have to watch an awful training video every year that instructs us to take down an active shooter if we can't escape or hide

oh btw like 80% of people with this type of badge forget to bring it when they come to the central office :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

how is that going to stop an active shooter

i mean the badge part, the "throw yourself at them to save the executives" bit makes perfect sense

because then we know who is an employee and who isn't, of course. also please note that the building has uncontrolled exterior doors during business hours and has multiple common areas that all tenants can access (there are at least 4 different companies with offices throughout the building). package and food delivery people roam the shared halls freely

oh btw i just remembered the training video has a bit where a dorky looking guy is awkwardly holding a fire extinguisher and hiding around the corner of his cubicle. yeah just hangin out in the office this afternoon, couldn't run from this shooter dude so im gonna wait til he walks by and clock him Solid Snake style. this will totally work because i learned the training and have COMMITTED TO MY ACTIONS just like the video said

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Partycat posted:

That is what they teach you though ? Get out and run away. If you can't, shelter and secure yourself. If you can't hide and secure yourself or the threat is now threatening you, then you do what you gotta do.

yeah but the video presented it with the same soundtrack and voiceover as a trailer for an action movie

also the bad guy was using a pump action shotgun

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I don't think it's public data everywhere in the country. The only campaign contacts I have ever gotten (Minnesota) started coming after I went to a party caucus in 2008. I only get mailers from that party. Maybe some generic voter data is public but I don't think I've ever been contacted by any other party or wedge group

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

man if i could get hot dog stand and some chips challenge goin, now THATS a road trip

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my bitter bi rival posted:

right, it seemed like everyone was like "thats not real" and then bloomgberg said "no it is trust us" and then the story just... went away? I feel like theres another story there that we will probably never hear and i want some conspiracy theories about it

i noticed some security folks on twitter kept taking shots at bloomberg for a while but bloomberg just..... ignored them

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my bitter bi rival posted:

thank you, yes, this is exactly the sort of thing im talking about!! its so loving weird. they were both relatively active twitter users up til that point.

maybe because people kept dunking on them over and over? idk but it's a theory lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

There is some sort of temporary fix that is supposedly applied if you enable "studies". Although it doesn't work for me and several others. https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05/04/update-regarding-add-ons-in-firefox/

"it may take up to six hours for the study to be applied to your browser" LOL

on the upside, this bug led me to discovering that on twitter there is firefox... ¡en español! :mexico::respek::spain:

encuentra la panda rojo aqui!!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

two "studies" installed for me and i was able to reinstall ublock origin. i then disabled the studies/telemetry checkboxes in the firefox settings, and so far ublock is still working

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

does the english wikipedia article have "kurarisu wākusu" yet lol

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

im not canadian and have no relevant experience but the rest of that stuff sounds pretty good op

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

the little credit union where i first got a bank account when i was a child started doing online banking about 5 years ago

the login is your account number

the password is your ATM PIN, which must be four numbers

it was something like this for the credit union i got my last car loan through. i didn't care though because it was my only account with them, so the only risk would have been if some hacker came along and wanted to pay off a used ford taurus

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

code:
VERSION INFORMATION

The following versions of UEFI BIOS has been released to date.

UEFI BIOS (BIOS ID)  Issue Date
  -------------------  ----------
  1.43 (N1CET75W)      2019/04/26
  1.42 (N1CET74W)      2019/02/15
  1.41 (N1CET73W)      2018/12/17
  1.40 (N1CET72W)      2018/11/15
  1.39 (N1CET71W)      2018/09/28
  1.39 (N1CET71W)      2018/09/18
  1.37 (N1CET69W)      2018/07/20
  1.36 (N1CET68W)      2018/06/29
  1.35 (N1CET67W)      2018/06/12
  1.34 (N1CET66W)      2018/03/29
  1.33 (N1CET65W)      2018/02/19
  1.31 (N1CET63W)      2017/12/26
  1.30 (N1CET62W)      2017/11/28
  1.28 (N1CET60W)      2017/10/04
  1.27 (N1CET59W)      2017/09/08
  1.26 (N1CET58W)      2017/07/07
  1.25 (N1CET57W)      2017/06/02
  1.24 (N1CET56W)      2017/04/28
  1.23 (N1CET55W)      Factory Use Only
  1.22 (N1CET54W)      2017/02/14
  1.20 (N1CET52W)      2016/12/07
  1.16 (N1CET48W)      2016/09/29
  1.15 (N1CET47W)      2016/08/18
  1.14 (N1CET46W)      2016/07/21
  1.13 (N1CET45W)      2016/06/10
  1.11 (N1CET43W)      2016/04/21
  1.08 (N1CET40W)      2016/03/15
  1.06 (N1CET38W)      2016/02/16
  1.05 (N1CET37W)      2016/01/29
  1.04 (N1CET36W)      2016/01/15
N1CE

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a russian cryptolocker author is really mad that somebody released a decrypter for his malware. "shoes you booze" indeed

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1126602241463308288

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ewiley posted:

Wait do people pronounce AES as 'ace'?

we do now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i think i helped out in my networking class once going around to all the labs and collecting the mac addresses of computers. i think i also helped going thru the classic mac lab and renumbering all the static IP addresses. i do not recall that this required an admin account

our high school had a whole 256 ip subnet on a t1 line, aww yeah

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my comp sci professors said back in the 90s they would get emails that were intended for a similarly named university in another country. at first they would helpfully forward the mail, but once the general public got on the internet it would have taken up all their time so they started just deleting them

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Jabor posted:

yeah, but that stops working once you're talking about kids that are old enough for the parents to just say "whatever just stay home and play videogames all day"

that's what happened to me the one time i got suspended. i think i worked a few extra hours at my job too. the situation sucked overall but the "no school for 3 days" part was alright

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my credit union used to use a transfer system with an arbitrary code-word field like that. my spidey sense tingled pretty hard the one time i used it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the amd ones seem fine for now. probably something to do with having actual consideration for security implications in their architecture instead of blindly chasing IPC gains

is this true? or is it just coincidence that intel has been hit harder so far

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

pseudorandom posted:

It supposedly effects Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.

no, it doesn't :ughh:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

signal is pretty needs suiting for me but getting friends and family to install it is like pulling teeth. ironically the best version of it is on android, because the app supports the OS's fine-grained notifications system and so you can adjust the notification importance level for each conversation

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

today is the first 0day of the rest of your life

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Steam was leaking mortgage information and SSNs? drat.

valve's coders during the early years of steam were just that good

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

a lot of politicians also use agency/department failures as a petty justification to shift budget toward their pet projects, or to gin up "government bad" sentiment, and so on

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my state legislature & governor just finished hammering out the state budget for the next two years. i noticed this choice quote from an extremely smart boy who serves in the minnesota house:

https://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/2019/05/legislature-passes-48-billion-budget-ends-special-session/

quote:

During the House debate of the agriculture bill, Republican Rep. Jeremy Munson, R-Lake Crystal, objected to its $40 million allocation for rural broadband expansion.

“This is a gravy train of money for people. They’re taking limited dollars. We should be using money to fight the opioid crisis with cash. We should be fixing our roads. Instead, we’re dumping money, we’re trenching it into the ground on decades-old technology when satellite and wireless and fixed wireless is already available.”

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

the process was pretty bad and may be the reason insulin prices weren't capped

yeah it's nice that they got the budget done but it was more than just noted dingus kurt daudt and master grifter tom bakk who were complaining about it. a lot of budget items were scrapped or changed with basically no explanation. one item that i heard about was a mental health diversion program for returning soldiers that was projected to SAVE money and it was taken out of the budget for :iiam: reasons

in relevant news it looks like they finally got that money approved to beef up state election security. the secretary of state said he has a bunch of stuff ready to go so hopefully all of that can get done before primary season next year

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 28, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the leading-zero-octal identifier is imo one of the worst programming boners of all time

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ewiley posted:

What non-technical person is using curl? notDan's tweet required you to paste it into a Linux commandline to do anything. What is the demographic of people with

a). access to Linux comandline
b) not technical enough to understand the Linux commandline

the venn diagram is bad computer janitors who should either know better or now know better.

when a take is so dumb i genuinely can't figure out if it's trolling

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

there is some dumb ancient UNIX-related reason for almost every legacy computer issue. quit being so pedantic

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

nest users are confused :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/1135310349438054401

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

ONLY TRUST YOUR PUNCHCARDS

ECC WILL NEVER HELP YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

infernal machines posted:

isn't oracle doing a thing where you can't use the newer versions of the jre for anything on pain of death, oh and btw every previous release ever has critical exploits

as long as you don't click Larry's EULA you're fine. grab an openJDK and you're good

(mods plz namechange to LARRYS EULA CLICKER)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

my employer uses kronos and it doesn't integrate at all with our industry-specific groupware/ERP vendor so i have to manually enter my weekly time tracking in like 3 and a half different places. one of them is a Word doc where i put different client names all right next to each other, totally not a privacy issue at all (jk it probably is)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

if it comes down to that then you need to shut down the entire system and use the money to feed the kids :shrug:

it might not be exactly what you're looking for, but have your heard of A Song of Wire and Omar, by David R R Simon??

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the current mayor of minneapolis is pretty much tommy carcetti. the parallels are hilarious

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the target outage? the blackhat thing?? :iiam:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

you could have the tv connect to a dummy network that is physically disconnected from the internet but then you're just wasting electricity because it probably tries to ping home 1000 times a minute

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i used to work in group homes, and i have a lot of friends who have braniac academic degrees, and the universal response among all these people is "wait... you can FIX that?" when i describe a two-minute fix that will make their internet-connected device be 99% less annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

~Coxy posted:

this should default to off now that everyone has 4G with decent data caps

ios has so much jank in it left behind from the 2008 days that they've never revisited

the thing that boggles my mind is that there have been third-party android apps that manage your wifi radios silently and efficiently for years, but the ios behaviors for the same task are garbage. the open-source android apps record the cell-tower and/or GPS data around where your saved wifi networks are, and then just straight up turn the radio off if you aren't near them, which is a great. it improves your security and it saves battery too. the ios equivalents to this are just awful

part of this is ofc the fact that android lets you download any old sketchy app to do important system functions like "turn wifi on and off" but c'mon timb!! your poo poo is garbage over here