Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

6 months later, does anyone have a good explanation for the bloomberg story on supermicro? was it just shoddy journalism, or are there any theories about something more nefarious happening there? the companys stock still hasnt recovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

I don't have a source handy, but the whole thing fizzled out from lack of evidence and multiple people coming forward saying that it isn't a real thing.

right, it seemed like everyone was like "thats not real" and then bloomgberg said "no it is trust us" and then the story just... went away? I feel like theres another story there that we will probably never hear and i want some conspiracy theories about it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

It's also worth noting that neither of the authors of the bloomberg article have been active on twitter since shortly after it was published:
https://twitter.com/MichaelRileyDC/with_replies
https://twitter.com/jordanr1000/with_replies

thank you, yes, this is exactly the sort of thing im talking about!! its so loving weird. they were both relatively active twitter users up til that point.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol new jersey

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

windows the poo

haha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol sick

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vomik posted:

so I'm hanging out in bar with my raspberry pi zero W :smug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my company basically built a credit card number churning app on our production website. very good.

it luhn algorithm checks the card number entered clientside without having to press submit ('its helpful in case someone typos their number') and does not ask for any billing info or even zip code when attempting to charge the CC. No one sees anything wrong with this.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 15, 2020

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

you can use icloud keychain on windows in chrome, but no such luck on mac

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-passwords/pejdijmoenmkgeppbflobdenhhabjlaj

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

*clearing throat for 7 minutes straight*
Ahem....
Last......rear end :smug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean by this definition so is World of Warcraft

world of warcraft is better than zoom yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

the internet use to be cool because it was a private clubhouse for nerds, and there the barrier for entry was high because you had to have $1000 computer and pass the iq test of getting online

now android smartphones come with your breakfast cereal and illiterate people can participate by using emojis

Shaggar posted:

seems like the best solution here is to just get rid of javascript

:hmmyes:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mods plz rename me 'Guns.com Administrator'

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rule 1: dont post

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Perplx posted:

today is the day ubiquiti finally became enterprise

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hope someone d/l'd it https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/enterprise-grade/s-fzsjE :rip:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

whats peoples experience with siems here? anything you like? we are doing some eval right now and have heard some stuff from google chronicle (leery about trusting google with something like this, weird pricing model), alienvault/att (seems alright, we run a small on-prem legacy VM version of alienvault in one colo now but are looking at usm anywhere now), splunk ($$$), qtarget (dont know a ton about them yet), palo alto cortex pro (seems neat but also not quite a siem entirely), but rapid7's insightidr also seems interesting. does anyone have any positive experience with any of these, or thoughts on siems in general?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

unless you are going to develop and train a 24/7 security operation or watch floor as part of your ops I favor paying an enterprise managed detection and response where you just ship everything and they run Chronicle or siem and alert and do run books off it.

if still want to proceed the options you listed are fine I am familiar with Chronicle and Splunk. I get the thought on Google but I think the platform is solid.

Yeah, I think managed detection or at least some sort of shared responsibility model would be best for us. Chronicle from our MSP seems pretty solid. Chronicle's pricing model is also a bit weird (based on seats in your domain instead of eps or data ingress in TB or whatever) but doing the math it actually works out ok. Pricing still works out to be less than Splunk.

I am working on building a security team out at my org but we're pretty far out from having a real SOC much less a 24x7 SOC. I get the case that a SIEM on its own doesnt really do anything, but based on some of the calls I've taken, isn't the SOC just going to be waiting for an alert to come in too? They aren't necessarily actually actively 'watching' our SIEM dashboard 24x7, right? I think I'm going to have some pressure from above to run it on my own, self-managed + a couple days of consulting to tune the alerts will probably end up being like a third of the cost of a managed solution and I know that's going to be attractive to management, but I can acknowledge my limitations here and know I could use some help to make this thing as useful as possible.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thanks for your advice all, that's helpful.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Tony Hawk isn't really rich.

https://wealthygorilla.com/tony-hawk-net-worth/

estimated worth is only $140 mil, which is probably less than some yosposters, and definitely less than some goons

hmmmmm

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BDE

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

> OSS projects would be suggested to update the code of conduct, something like “By submitting the patch, I agree to not intend to introduce bugs”.

easy peasy!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

So that paper was accepted for next months IEEE symposium. Does that mean there will be a presentation on it?

https://www.ieee-security.org/TC/SP2021/program-papers.html

ctrl+f for ` Open Source Insecurity: Stealthily Introducing Vulnerabilities via Hypocrite Commits`

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

w00tmonger

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

Think you missed my sarcasm. Her work is pretty shoddy, regardless of who was responsible for this particular error

I was going to say re: Perlroth....

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

swiftonsec suckssss

that's right.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Midjack posted:

tbh the bill gates 5g vaccine joke is kind of wearing out its welcome.

bill gates vax jokes were a psyop to cloak the fact that his devotion to patent rights is going to kill millions of people in the global south ha ha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Rufus Ping posted:

That reminds me, it was dan kaminsky who accidentally revealed SoS's identity in a blog post. Windows network janitor from Texas called Daniel. Used to be lots of mopey tweets on his main account about the stress of being a loser with a secret double life online

W

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/CharlesDardaman/status/1387871377022242816

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is a total shitpost but i wonder how many people have tried to ransomware their own employer. seems like if you were a disgruntled IT person with even a little knowledge of the network topology and worked at a company with poor security hygiene, itd be pretty easy to do. is that part of the traditional 'insider threat' threat model these days

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 26, 2021

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Methanar posted:

I wonder how many Intel/Google/Microsoft/etc employees are honest-to-god chinese government spies.

that story about the twitter tech support guy being a saudi asset was cool

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ewiley posted:

Wait i had it on good authority from mister taviso that browsers are the best way to store passwords

https://threatpost.com/npm-package-steals-chrome-passwords/168004/

Maybe but most people are loving terrible at crime, and it's something you can only do once before you become un-hire-able ever again or move to Russia

that movie is exactly what made me think of it lol. perfect angle for a reboot

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mediaphage posted:

i think it’s been fifteen years since i heard the word ganked

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

klosterdev posted:

The rich and powerful pretty much exclusively use iPhones 🤔

👁️👁️👁️ What did he know and when did he know it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hellotoothpaste posted:

the dateline is usually good for this line of inquiry

the dateline was intentionally left off because that headline is 3 years old and that would impede the purpose of the joke.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

they need to install wireshark and a carbon monoxide detector

hahaha

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol cmon

at least i know now hes a libertarian and finally have an explanation for why i always found his twitter presence so grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

responding to the first part: oh no, more memory on a modern system, what ever will we do

memory is meant to be used :smug: