Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what does the scanner do that makes it so desirable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spb posted:

Well, looks like someone really hosed up. LOL

turn
on
y

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

What

The

gently caress

take every developer and sysadmin who came up with these policies and break them upon the wheel

then replace all former password policies with "must be at least a 30-character sentence"

there, i've solved it forever. if you think typing 30 letters in a row with no mistakes is an undue hardship i hate you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Celexi posted:

I really hate banks that do this

the little credit union where i first got a bank account when i was a child started doing online banking about 5 years ago

the login is your account number

the password is your ATM PIN, which must be four numbers

:jeb:

i do not keep my money there these days.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a non-peer-reviewed, non-institutionally-affiliated, single-authored e-publication on the topic of government-sponsored cryptography, which mentions a conspiracy theory in its opening paragraph, might be making some incorrect assumptions and drawing unsupported conclusions??

you

don't

say

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i think they may all be fake names

- no hits on google scholar for any of the three authors
- no relevant hits on google proper either, for that matter
- each name is super generically english, yet the paper reads like it's written by an EFL writer
- the very first three words in the paper read "SIMON et SPECK" instead of "SIMON and SPECK", which is a bizarre error to make unless you translated it from french or the author is unconsciously code-switching
- i can find no reference to the "alba3" group they say they're part of
- but "alba3" is a pun in french: alba-trois, albatross

i think it's a wacko conspiracy theorist and/or amateur mathematician whose first language is french who has added a bunch of academic embellishments to his zine to try and get his ideas more traction than stapling them to a telephone pole can provide

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

what are the odds that you don't type in the name of your favorite beatle but pick it from a dropdown

It's not strictly a security question. When you do an interac e-transfer in Canada, you put in the recipient's email address and it sends them a "claim your money" link. There is no verification of the email address, so you have to also write a question where the answer is known only to you and the recipient. This question can be whatever you want, though, so there's nothing stopping you from making it "what is 2+2." I haven't done one in a while, but I'm pretty sure that once you get the email and answer the question correctly, that's the end of it and you can deposit the money into any account you want. Really it's just surprising that no one has reported on it until today

Yes, obviously the correct response is to make both fields a bunch of hexadecimal junk but that isn't how people's brains work

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A student commented yesterday that it was very hard to find a picture of me online and that I had a much smaller online presence overall than she expected

That made me feel good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We say ELL (English as a Learned Language) now because it's presumptuous to assume that English is only their second language instead of third or fourth or more, and calling it a foreign language (EFL) is derogatory because it implies they'll never be fluent in it or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

But what if it's not their secondary language? What if they speak Vietnamese and Tagalog and Mandarin and then English as their quaternary language, hmmmmm?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nobody-can-tell-me-what-to-do-monia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tankakern posted:

what fud is this, "latent malware" if you flatten and reinstall?

I don't know how common they are, but there are rootkits that install themselves into hard disk firmware so they aren't erased by a reformat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

apparently we're going to be writing software that runs on and operates self-checkouts :shepicide:

any hot tips on making sure i don't get thrown under the bus when 5 million credit card numbers wind up on the darknet and they need someone to blame

do you get to design any of the UX? go and stand around a self-checkout for at least one working day and write down everything you see people doing, particularly if they're struggling. the user interaction with those machines could be so so much better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

our UI/UX team will be designing it and they're generally pretty good about stuff like that, i'll mention the idea to em' cuz yeah by default they're awful...

if the UX team doesn't already do observational user research uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the vast majority of software ux design is based on literally nothing and it's shameful as hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that was an awesome game though there wasn't much replay value once you figured out how to cheese the "trace a large transaction" job to get like 10 million dollars right at the beginning

wish they'd made a sequel. lan hacking was fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in that vein Watch_Dogs 2 was pretty great. the hacking was more video-gamey for sure but the context of it all was fantastic. they modeled san francisco well enough that i could pretty much just drive around it like i do for real, the bad guy is essentially jack dorsey, there are perfect copies of google and facebook and nest and such and they're all spying on everyone and selling the data, the first mission has you harassing martin shkreli, etc

e: oh and there are a bunch of missions involving deprogramming someone who sounds exactly like tom cruise from an organization that is definitely not the scientologists

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah the term doesn't even come from a racist place. it's about translating chinese to english.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah that's right. i knew i was forgetting some aspect of it.

anyway point is you could call it the Greek Room or whatever and it wouldn't change the meaning because it's not about racist stereotypes about the chinese

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so does that literally just erase the drive when the cable is unplugged?

gee, sure is good that laptop usb ports never just, like, randomly lose a connection when gently moved or for no reason at all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't find the computer problems thread so this one will do

What is the correct way to add a new device's ssh keys to a server?

I have a digital ocean VPS that I use for junk and stuff. I have it set up with password authentication disabled so I can only log in with the RSA keys on my desktop. Now I want to log in from my laptop. I can't just use ssh-copy-id because my laptop is not authenticated yet. Is the proper thing to generate new keys on my laptop, put them on a flash drive, copy them to my desktop, then copy them from that authenticated machine to the server? It seems kind of convoluted and like there must be an easier way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rufus Ping posted:

Log in with your password via the web serial console and paste the new key into your authorized_keys

oh i guess i could do that with the web console true.

well the duh moment here was that the public key is public so it's fine to transfer it non-securely so i just emailed it to my other computer and pasted it in. thanks much :cheers:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phone posted:

a TRILLION dollar company lmbo

you don't make a trillion dollars by spending it all willy-nilly on frivolities like "patching security holes"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently some of the best flying jobs are with CBP, since you get to blast along canyons a hundred feet above the ground and intercept other planes and drop commandos onto narco-submarines at sea and cool poo poo like that.

too bad that to do it you have to be a cop, and one of the most explicitly nazi kinds of cop at that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plus they have that bulletproof magic underwear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they also had a usefully generic name