Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/mds.html
lmao intel strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol 99% code in production is unknown these days

"npm install" *10 billion lines of dependencies scroll by* "yep looks good to me, ship it!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lomarf that's loving amazing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://github.com/numirias/security/blob/master/doc/2019-06-04_ace-vim-neovim.md

lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just buy a computer monitor at this point, it's a bit more expensive but you don't get a pile of junk in your display.

well, different pile of junk, anyway. i'm sure g-sync also phones home through the drivers somehow these days

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well this makes all the sense. of course infosec is a garbage fire, everyone's just too cheap to shell out for the unhackable safe and secure computing machine patent license

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

endlessmonotony posted:

Okay VLC is clearly a clusterfuck.

What are everyone's recommendations for the same level of "install it and forget about it" these days?

mpv

mpv is a mplayer fork and is more or less a player frontend for ffmpeg and only interacts with internets/streams through youtube-dl these days. youtube-dl and ffmpeg are updated frequently so any issues will probably get fixed promptly

if you need a gui around it for some reason, smplayer still exists and has support for mpv

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
from what i've heard paying off all loans also tanks your credit score because you now have no loans you're paying off lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

a successful IPO in September

that'll happen after they rebrand to 88chan

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

is phone locking the thing where if you buy a phone it only works with a single carrier? because that's dumb as poo poo and employees were right to do that lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

oh hey webmin is still a thing, i remember using that when i was like, 14 and didn't know how to linux at all :allears:

though even back then i was smart enough not to expose it to the external internet

i suddenly started getting regularly asked for "access to the cpanel" by a few of our clients in tyool 2019 and i'm like :stonk: every time
1. i don't have that poo poo are you insane
2. i can give you ssh access if you supply me a static ip for the firewall and a public key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGPHFNR5Gms&t=45s

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my email as a hellish landscape of junk because i got in early on first initial + last name @ gmail.com and so I just stopped caring.

plus who uses email for anything serious?
yeah exactly. i use email to sign up to web bullshit and online vidya games, anything that matters has to be done through a real service anyway

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

there are advantages to not being the only person who shows up when a prospective boss googles your name

if you show up on google you've done hosed up mate

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ewiley posted:

The built-in ipsec vpn in Windows is actually pretty good and with directaccess is very stable and works pretty well.
If you mean IKEv2 the default configuration is a piece of poo poo and you need to browse the registry to enabe realer ciphers, and even then it won't support algo correctly lmao

i have so much headaches with windows ikev2 clients at work still, it's amazing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lysidas posted:

no communication to/from a windows machine is worth securing anyway

well, yeah, obviously

but everyone's discontinued pptp now so what can you do :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there are other youtubers?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2019/10/ken-thompson-s-unix-password.html
lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Original GANster posted:

on another note, when i attempt to install keepass on my computer it wants to install mono (!!)

well, yeah. the original keepass is made with c#. with mono it can run on any platform, and it has the most plugin support so i use that, and it works ok.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

ssns are public knowledge these days anyway

you say that, but the guy who put up a list of all SSNs (a text file with all numbers from 000000000 to 999999999) got banned from fb/twitter or something lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

wasn't that literally what cyrix was for a while

i had a friend with a cyrix "pentium 233" that performed slightly better than my pentium 75 lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ok boomer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

influx. posted:

0Kelvin data exfil vuln name

lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they introduced a subscription for $100/year which enables a stash that lets you stash infinite items (but actually it just deleted them), and lets you host private servers.

in kinda a secfuck, it's not really private. anyone in your friends list can join, and then anyone in their friends list can join them, and online everyone is at most 5 steps removed or somesuch so basically it's a public server anyway. lmao

fake edit: oh also, i think they leaked a bunch of private info of a lot of their subscribers recently too? maybe that was something else but i think it was fallout
real edit: no that was earlier than april actually

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nice domain name on that box tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Older versions of Cisco Anyconnect do this too.

one of the clients at work uses a netscaler/citrix vpn (ayy lmao) and it still does this

2 other clients use checkpoint vpn, and those, too, still do the "pin+otp" format

seems pretty common to me tbh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Trick hackers into wasting their time guessing your password when you actually don't have a password set at all.

i do this on all my personal servers, gently caress passwords

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ok that i don't get please explain what rms did this time

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao nice

but yeah uhh, have a private key with a password, or even better in your password vault, and log into everything with that imo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rms2: was right

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

for the mandatory friday teambuilding at-home happy hour that is a real actual thing i have to do now to "keep up morale" during corona work from home quarantine

this week's theme is "wacky shirt day" so everyone has to show off their wacky shirt on the webcam

please kill me

replace your camera feed with the thing in your avatar, say you don't know how this happened or how to fix it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lomarf

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.rtcsec.com/2020/04/01-slack-webrtc-turn-compromise/

this is a fun short read

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

i guess i'm trying to understand if this is something people actually believe is a threat right now, or if this is "taken to its logical conclusion" tinfoil hattery

i don't know, but regardless of that, never trust a corporation with *any* data

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
vac famously banned a fuckton of people in one of the call of duty games because they were running winamp or some poo poo like that. they never reversed those bans, instead they just let vac banned people play online anyway which obviously led to rampant cheating, and coupled with lack of player run dedicated servers who could fix cheating themselves killed all the teams wanting to play call of duty seriously.

reading steam forums now, apparently they started enforcing the bans in 2017 again, so now nobody can play without cracking vac first because the only way to deal with cheaters was to boot them from lobbies using exploits which also resulted in vac bans lmfao.

one of my friends got hit with that winamp ban wave, after that he just went back to playing action quake2 and enemy territory like normal people :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Grace Baiting posted:

Healthy young child goes to computer, gets pumped with massive hype of many VR headsets, doesn't feel good and vomits - JAVA. Many such cases!

the irony here is that java version is the only one that doesn't instantly induce sick and vomit in vr :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love to save on openssl licensing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Raere posted:

GNU's Not Understanding Their Laughable Software

drat, son

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can also not risk people's lives over a minor thing that can wait a couple months more

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nokia is making the bricks again, but for some stupid reason people want internet on their phones now lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i once tried to use paypal for its intended purpose of "paying for stuff". easily the worst mistake of my life, and i dabbled in coin mining circa 2013.

since i have a very low limit on my debit card so in case poo poo happens i'm only out 40 eurodollars, i'd just send cash to my paypal account through the service they have where you can wire cash to a bank near you and in a few hours it appears on your paypal balance

except this time it was about for a 1000 bux purchase, so as soon as that balance appeared on paypal they closed my account, and it took me over a year to get that money back. gently caress paypal forever