Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
DHL allowed you to set a password on your account using a password the mobile app doesn't accept, because the mobile app applies different password rules to the login form. Yes, they apply password rules client-side on the form you log in.

Feedback was nil so I had to find this out via trial&error…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's why I use shadyurl.com for everything.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Munkeymon posted:

:rip: German Twitter I guess

I loving wish.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's el reg, when they put "non-malicious" in scare quotes they mean "flesh-eating bacteria for your computer".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I guess in IoT, sex toy fucks you. Guess that could be an embarassing emergency call, but fire fighters have the equipment to get it open and will be professional enough not to laugh in the face of people.

Making all customer data accessible via public API is extremely :stare: though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

In my country firefighters are always itching to try new toys, so I assume there's a small company headquartered in some remote village that is the world leader in tools required to extract sensitive body parts from sex toys, and our local firefighters bought one of those devices last year and have been waiting for an excuse to use it ever since.

You call to get your dong extracted and a full fire engine with a dozen people arrives because everyone wants to see the new toy in action. They will be professional while there, but your story becomes the tale of the station for many years to come.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

fins posted:

I'm the carpet stain

What is this, the aftermath of an explosion in the GuiFactory?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We still have expensive instruments that require rsh.

Our solution was to put a bastion host in front that speaks ssh and only lets you in with a valid Kerberos ticket or ssh key…

I don't think this is supported by the vendor, though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Trying to ^] on qwertz is not fun, by the way.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

flakeloaf posted:

irvine, ca is ablaze but don't worry, the evac map is safe

https://twitter.com/valentine_irl/status/1320787102993272833

I hate ESRI so much. gently caress their software.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

IME, everything from the Gnome ecosystem is broken and only works by coincidence when paired with other Gnome components.

Regarding gdm, from the wording of that security issue it would think there are no user accounts when getent user doesn't return any non-system accounts, right?

That assumption is already wrong. There are auth mechanisms that won't allow you to enumerate users, like pure Kerberos or winbind/sssd with enumeration turned off. You'll only know that a user exists when their auth attempt goes through pam.

I read that Ubuntu does Active Directory integration in their installer now, so that would be fun to test…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Kesper North posted:

if you're going to hassle the british/americans about domestic fittings at least do it about something sensible, like electric mains plug design or voltage

Making fun of their wimpy electricity is fun and good, but also very pedestrian.

Anglos losing their mind over German windows is hilarious however. That's a whole youtube category of people having a religious experience with tilting, opening, and closing windows.

Like but with windows.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The_Franz posted:

in what way?

I remember that video because it irked me as well!

Nothing he threw at that machine would be a problem for my dishwasher at 40°C half-load setting. And I really doubt dishwashers in the USA are that much worse than the mid-range Siemens machine I have.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

https://blog.newsblur.com/2021/06/28/story-of-a-hacking/

"Footgun" aka "exposing MongoDB to the world", the extremely, hilariously well-known fact that MongoDB has no authentication and the devs of MongoDB really like listening to the world instead of binding to localhost like normal people.

Also, docker.

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but imho db servers shouldn't be on a network where this kind of thing immediately exposes them to the world…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I truly can not comprehend the issue there. It seems to be hilariously over complicated for no good reason only to be less trustworthy and less efficient than everywhere else.

Use paper ballots, vote on the weekend, let everyone who wants observe the count. You can get the whole thing done in an evening, it's secure and trivial to observe while being very hard to manipulate. Doesn't the US have jury duty? Use the same system for election duty until you get enough people to have a proper election.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Lmao that literally everything BUT our actual print servers is affected.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The CVE shows RCE on desktop SKUs and Windows needs the print spooler to run so you can print. And naturally it needs SYSTEM privileges. You couldn't possibly run a print server in an unprivileged fashion, that's technology that hasn't been invented yet.

gently caress Windows, seriously.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Really, I'm surprised Microsoft showed restraint here and isn't running in kernel mode like its web server and font renderer is.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Methanar posted:

lol what are you guys doing that you ever print anything

srs answer: We have stuff like A0 plotters to print large, detailed maps in full colour. Those aren't affected of course since they behind print servers and nobody uses windows print servers unless they love restarting the print spooler every few hours.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"PrintNightmare" is just normal Windows printing though

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Is there anything about printing on windows that isn't a nightmare?

No, its terribleness is recursive.

I wonder if anyone is going to clock that the ability of networked printers to push drivers onto client pcs via the PRINTER$ share is easy to abuse. The last time I played around with that feature I could get clients to install drivers with malformed signatures just by adding the printer, no elevation required, no prompt.

At least I think MS disallows kernel-mode print drivers nowadays…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"unclear where it comes from" says anime person unaware of the amazing skill of looking up the ssh key format?

code:
printf "\0\0\0\x07ssh-rsa" | base64

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Moving the exploitable part into the kernel to make it faster would be extremely on brand for microsoft.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Making your desktop security framework thing use js feels like taking a massive amount of piss tbh.

I've written stuff for polkit and ugh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Can confirm, Gentoo is the most zen.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I built qtwebengine yesterday. :negative:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Once upon a time during a business trip the galaxy brains I was travelling with decided to jump up and down in unison.

At 01:00.
In the elevator of the hostel we were staying at.

I had ditched them hours before to enjoy the last light by hiking through the local vineyards so I wasn't trapped in an elevator in the middle of the night.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Imagine they are down so badly that they have to bring up everything from scratch, but nobody knows the procedure and they have circular dependencies in services. :allears:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Ultra Comedy Option: They are currently trying to get into their edge routers, but nobody can find the blue cable :allears:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well joke's on them, because even if they find the blue cable, the USB serial adapter is one of those crappy ones that can't get the timing right, and someone will have to run to the nearest computer store to find one of the non-poo poo ones.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Makes sense to me. You don't want to give any indication when you've caught someone trying to fake ad impressions. That's better than youtube happily selling ad space nobody ever sees.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

ymgve posted:

the anti-ASMR is some german dude with a very thick english accent reading slides

basically half of the CCC talks

I always cringe when I hear German accents, but also when it's an eastern European accent except when that person is angry.

Angry eastern European English is pure and divine. No German can pull off angry English.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That package has a more complicated dependency chain than my entire Gentoo workstation.

Incredible.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I have one Unifi AP that requires their dumb controller that is poo poo. Mongodb, lmao.

I like the UFO, I just wish the software was less garbage.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Huh. So, a real camera would be illegal (prison time illegal) to put in your child's bedroom in Germany (after a certain age that is), but now I wonder if a fake one would be as well.

I have a hunch that it would be just as illegal. Hm.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

hellotoothpaste posted:

thanks ubiquiti guy for helping me figure out wtf the APs with a U on them were that came with the house, lol. If they’re lites they’re going in the trash.

The APs are fine, just don't let network devices communicate with the Internet. That's a general rule.

I learned today that we have >9000 Unifi APs, lmao.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Our 500 000 € electron microprobe is controlled by software running on windows 98 :toot:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Would anyone be surprised if that regex turned out to be a sneaky exploit in php 5.4?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"Teledildonics" is still the funniest word of the decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

rm -rf /* is more portable than rm -rf --no-preserve-root /