Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022
Sup infosec peeps,
I created this cowardly rereg account so as not to doxx myself. Although I’m sure that some of you have the skills and connections to figure out my identity if you truly cared.

I’m looking to get into infosec. I’m currently working on improving various fundamental skills before I attempt to attain professional script kiddie status and start looking for an infosec job. Ultimately I want to be a defender and do blue team type stuff, but I understand that you cannot be good at defense until you know how offense works. Defense is at such a disadvantage sometimes I wonder why I am bothering to do this. But I find infosec really interesting, and I like helping people. Aside from learning technical stuff I have done a ton of reading so I can understand the big picture stuff. Gotta make sure learning all this technical bullshit is worth it. I know the learning never stops and if you want to be any good you have to learn stuff in your spare time. I hear infosec can pay well but I’m not in it for the money.

Do you mind if I ask you all some questions about getting into the industry? I don’t know anyone that works in infosec. And I’d rather ask goons these questions anyway. I’ve already learned a ton from lurking this thread and the SH/SC infosec thread. It’s clear that most of the people posting in these threads measure their experience in decades. And I would bet money that there is a goon that works for every major tech company either posting in this thread or elsewhere in YOSPOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

How to join the discord?

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

hbag posted:

unsure why you think posting that you want to get into infosec is going to doxx you

I don’t know, just my own irrational paranoia I guess. But goons aren’t exactly renowned for their mental stability. It seems like every other subforum has a “please don’t kill yourself” sticky these days. And a few years of post history is probably enough to identify anyone.

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

Ok no more job hunt posts :hai: I will send some solicited and unsolicited PMs instead.

I will concentrate on the bootcamp I am currently infiltrating and post updates as interesting things happen.

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022
Hmm...does this qualify as a secfuck? https://theintercept.com/2022/04/22/anomaly-six-phone-tracking-zignal-surveillance-cia-nsa/

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022
1. lmao
2. what book? (no searchy! :nyd:)

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022
In addition to the polygraph interrogation technique, every clearance should include the candidate taking a 100 mg THC edible and staying under observation for 12 hours. You crack? No clearance for you.

Spys should be required to use marijuana regularly. Fire them if THC is absent from their body. More paranoia = better defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aspiring_skid
May 10, 2022

CommieGIR posted:

Polygrah is pseudoscience bullshit. Just give em the THC.

Yah that's why I said "interrogation technique."

When you get polygraphed, remember to clench and unclench your rear end in a top hat to show the examiner who is boss.

Land of the unclenched, home of the clenched.

Beeftweeter posted:

even that wouldn't do much tbh, 100mg would probably just make me all giggly and then fall asleep

Get this poster a clearance, stat.

(as im sure you know, 100mg will put the average person through hell, people go to the ER with panic attacks because they can't handle 10mg)