Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Winkle-Daddy posted:

probably not tbh

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
one time I added a nginx block to respond with the exact header response some metasploit script was expecting based on the hardcoded input, instead of fixing the CVE. is that a fuckup?

(the exploit only applied to apache but the testers dont understand that for some reason)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Crime on a Dime posted:

nazi pants fall off

now im thinking of the song with these lyrics and im lollin at work

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Pounded in the Butt by my Law Enforcement Network

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mayorbcyoung/status/1125826676280188929

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1126655402127577088

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
im picturing a balding profressory-type dude squatting in front of a chalkboard doing math proofs and its cracking me up

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i bet scamming like that is an entertaining career. just constantly grifting people, you probably run into a different situation every day.

actually thinking about it i envy the person who has that job

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

We say ELL (English as a Learned Language) now because it's presumptuous to assume that English is only their second language instead of third or fourth or more, and calling it a foreign language (EFL) is derogatory because it implies they'll never be fluent in it or something

i was engaged to a spanish teacher for a time and man did i learn all sorts of this terminology that i have no application for

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Penisface posted:

got an email today from instagram saying my profile name has been changed. I don’t have a instagram account so I tried to log in with my email going directly to the site and not clicking any email links (although the email was legit)... some verify codes and forgot passwords later I am apparently logged in but it’s no way my account. probably should contact their customer service and roll back this stuff so the crypto dude who apparently set my email in there gets his acc back

in retrospect I should have left it alone but I figured that if it’s some scam I better do something before my email is associated with something I don’t control

Yeah I get so many emails from someone who incorrectly uses my email address for everything (they have the same first initial, last name as me), that I have been able to develop quite a profile of who they are just looking at the type of stuff they sign up for. There are so many sites that don't verify your email at all, and let you order things with their stored credit card and have the items shipped wherever you want, it's scary. One of them was some flower delivery service, which I sent a message to telling them that I don't want to close their account, but they should probably figure out what the real email should be for the customer. Of course I got a robot reply that gave me instructions on how to recover my account.

You would think it's just small services that do it but this lady had signed up for her company's phone contract with AT&T with my email address. She bought a ton of hockey equipment for who I assume is her son, since she also signed up for the hockey league's mailing list with my email as well. Years later I got emails from her attorney asking for confirmation of dissolving her LLC or whatever after bankruptcy or something like that.

I bet she thinks email is horribly unreliable because she probably never gets messages for services she signed up for. This has been going on for a decade now. I just checked today and I got some new stuff related to her upcoming stay at a Bed and Breakfast.

Still can't believe a company will let you use an email address as your primary user identifier and not do any validation of it at all, ESPECIALLY if they store your credit card information and let you order without confirmation. IIRC, the flower delivery company even listed the entire credit card # in the payment information, which is insane.

duz posted:

you are supposed to close the account of anyone who uses your email address, in theory they will eventually learn their email address

This did not work. I closed her company's phone account because I panicked when it first happened (did not realize it was someone else, and not that my email account got compromised), and I still get this stuff non-stop.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

If they order flowers, immediately call customer service and ask to change the note to say "From, an idiot who doesn't know what his/her email address is."

I'm not touching any of that poo poo anymore. I just set a filter with any email that has her name in the "To" header and mark it as read and archives it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Once I got an invite to a family bbq and I think I did reply all to that and tell them to get their poo poo together and tell the guy to use the right address. or maybe I goatse'd the entire family idk it was a long time ago

I made a joke on the little league hockey league mailing list and the president of the company threatened me with calling the police. This was long ago as well.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
probably shouldn’t be running life supporting tech on a non real-time OS, anyways

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
nah, i don't think windows should be used for anything that someones life depends on at all.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Vomik posted:

it’s not rocket science brain surgery

when my stepmother had brain cancer and she had to get surgery, i was shocked by the surgeon who talked us and told us "there's nothing to worry about, nobody dies during brain surgery".

he really seemed to trivialize it and it really made me stop thinking of "brain surgery" as some super complex thing.

and no, it wasn't dr. nick, either

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
no but he looked exactly like todd from scrubs.

the surgery went off without a hitch, though. it just wasn't very effective.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

P p p p Powerbook, the only unhackable laptop :colbert:

whew thats a blast from the past

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
1password

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
code:
➜  ~ nslookup download.qnap.com
Server:         127.0.0.53
Address:        127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
download.qnap.com       canonical name = dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net.
Name:   dxt6jdtd35g5p.cloudfront.net
Address: 13.32.253.102
Address: 13.32.253.31
Address: 13.32.253.165
Address: 13.32.253.125
Address: 2600:9000:2145:4600:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:7400:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:7600:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:a200:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:ac00:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:c800:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:e000:1c:350a:340:93a1
Address: 2600:9000:2145:3e00:1c:350a:340:93a1

➜  ~ nslookup download.qnap.com.cn
Server:         127.0.0.53
Address:        127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
download.qnap.com.cn    canonical name = download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com.
download.qnap.com.cn.cloudglb.com       canonical name = down.fwcdncb.cloudglb.com.
Name:   down.fwcdncb.cloudglb.com
Address: 117.27.232.35

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
so yeah .cn goes to a chinese only CDN while the .com goes to an aws cloudfront hosted cdn.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
you don't have to do that. you can explicitly bind the container to a specific host ip address, for example 127.0.0.1, instead of 0.0.0.0.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
docker explicitly manipulates the docker iptables chain when you expose a port (so that it can translate to the virtual networking).

you can still block a port you just need to make sure your rules are before the docker ones.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
also just make sure to have sensible rules blocking in your FORWARD chain before the ones that forward to DOCKER.

you shouldn't be just trusting whatever defaults your distro has set for its iptables configuration anyways.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
it's amazing how bad android is

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

ymgve posted:

but why the gently caress do apps have access to the list of visible APs

we actually use the functionality in an embedded system based on android, but it's an explicit permission the application has to request.

i think the problem is that the android permissions are far too fine grained, which is good for developers who are TRYING to request the bare minimum, but bad for users since it's hard to understand.

google should come up with some system that takes all the permission requests of an application and builds a human-readable list that groups together related permissions in an easy to read format.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
they are the same ones who blindly skip through UAC dialogs or sudo dialogs.

eventually you just gotta blame the people making GBS threads their own pants

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

but why

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

duz posted:

death to prank culture

death to all culture

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

uh, nazi punks have been a thing for ages

nazis first came around in the late 2000s didnt you know?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
gently caress but i already painted my face...

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
its amazing that Linus still has control over the kernel even though so many gigantic corporations depend on it's existence.

i'm shocked nobody has tried to wrestle it away from him.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
javascript was a mistake and node is very bad.

i do like the fact that it constantly owns idiots and fucks over people too dumb to realize that hey, maybe the fact that you don't know what your doing is a clear indicator that your project shouldnt be pushed out into the wild

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

ABC: Always Bcrypt Credentials

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i enforce 32 character minimum passwords on all our poo poo and everyone hates it but gently caress 'em

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

I guess your peers haven't learned about password managers by TYOOL 2019

oh we enforce it (we have 1password teams subscription) but still they get frustrated for whatever reason.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
our company is small enough that poo poo like that doesn't happen. everyone is afraid of the horrible berating they would take from me if there's even the slightest hint of a security issue.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we have no HR dept at my company.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i usually work the situation like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dJb2YG7vU

instead of cover sheets though it's things like keeping using appropriate ssl ciphers

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
what could go wrong?

US attorney general William Barr says Americans should accept security risks of encryption backdoors

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/23/william-barr-consumers-security-risks-backdoors/

quote:

He suggested that the “residual risk of vulnerability resulting from incorporating a lawful access mechanism is materially greater than those already in the unmodified product.”

The risk, he said, was acceptable because “we are talking about consumer products and services such as messaging, smart phones, e-mail, and voice and data applications,” and “not talking about protecting the nation’s nuclear launch codes.”

The attorney general said it was “untenable” that devices offer uncrackable encryption while offering zero access to law enforcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
if they really mean backdoor in the encryption and not the app, then the minute the government says "you HAVE to use encryption scheme/cipher X", everybody and their brother is going to be going over it with a fine-toothed comb to figure out what the exploit is.