Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i worked at a company which had such locked down bullshit on their web proxy i wasn’t able to connect to the web services we were building apps on top of for our customer

somehow i ended up running an ssh tunnel proxy to my seed box and used that to do my job for 18 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Well yeah I have posted in YOSPOS.

the “yeah, I eat rear end” for the 2020s

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

nice troll post, "Allen Gwinn, opinion contributor"

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just fire all CEOs, increase your security

no mods no masters

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

we joked about doing basic user lifecycle management, oh how we laughed

but then we were sad

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

if you are a contract lawyer most vendors have them to handle negotiations which could be a good in

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i work in the public sector team at aws and we have 2-3 dedicated lawyers in my customer facing team (ANZ) who need to be across legislation for privacy, contract law etc plus will work with customer legal/procurement teams during contract negotiations

it was the same at my previous employer. if you are a lawyer who can talk to tech people and not be a dumbass, that is super useful. our legal people are great and have helped me many times and it’s always appreciated - imagine as a nerd you have a customer asking you all sorts of spicy questions, having someone who knows law to back you up is good stuff

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

redleader posted:

lol at contributing to open source while on the job

beats working

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fisting by many posted:

i do and i do go insane

i would love to use the ios password store except i can't figure out how to make it save the password i type in. thanks for reminding me you exist every time i touch a password field though :kiddo:

handoff does let you sync the clipboard between devices so i could, in theory, copy from my password manager on desktop and paste it into my phone. except i've got that disabled because for the other 99.9% of the time the idea of allowing my phone to access my desktop clipboard is horrifying.

i generate these passwords which are strong and typable https://passwordgen.camerontod.com/

Also 1password is integrated into the ios password workflow somehow so it automatically offers to fill password fields and uses faceid to unlock, pretty convenient

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

From a mail from Oracle to the USA Federal Trade Commission.

https://downloads.regulations.gov/FTC-2021-0019-0106/attachment_2.pdf

i’m shocked, shocked

lmao

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rjmccall posted:

thanks. i think fully static site generation doesn’t work because she does want to run a shop there eventually (without actually touching money herself, of course). but being more static might be possible

what about vulnerability scanners? i remember people here posting reports that are like “your cyphers suck lmao, also you haven’t updated wordpress in ten years”. i don’t think her host makes her responsible for like configuring apache or anything, but it would be good to feel like that stuff is okay, especially before she thinks about adding payments

if you stick to core and follow wordpress security feed and CVEs you will be fine

as for the host security, if you are running on a shared host that’s not really your thing to manage. if you are in control just open a minimum of ports, don’t set any files or directories with an execute but, and use one of the free/inexpensive CDNs with inbuilt WAFs (i used to use cloudflare for this purpose, but fastly and cloud front would be fine too)

but but BUT what is your concern with security? what would happen if her poo poo got owned?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I sort of have mixed feelings about the current popularity of static site generators because nowadays even a cheap digital ocean droplet probably offers enough cpu/memory to handle more hits than a normal person could possibly get, so in a way it feels silly to throw that away and just use static hosting, but it does mean that security is basically a nonissue.

that’s true but for 99% of sites 99% of their traffic is just reading static html that might change at most a few times of day so there’s really no compelling reason to make those pages dynamically generated on every view

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

what kinda host is it running on?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

memcached is just a k:v store, usually used to cache database queries

you may be thinking of varnish which is a caching reverse proxy which works very well for this use case

with that said, chucking some flat files on a web server is still gonna be a lot less complex and a lot more performant. you can chuck a cdn or varnish in front and that’s all you need. varnish/memcached and a dynamic site you have to have a full stack of one kind or another

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

. I had one guy pissed that it gave him no benefits while having a dynamic clock on every page forcing it to update every second

yeah this sort of poo poo is what makes it get complicated really quickly . there’s ways to use varnish and other reverse proxies to cache different page elements rather than whole pages but it’s really a ball ache and most people who think they need it either don’t or could make some minor application/content level tweaks instead

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i am the UK Defender on lots of things however the hot/cold tap thing is bad. it’s much less common than it was though i think?

anyway, there is a historical reason for it

quote:

Cold water came from a mains supply and was fit for drinking. Hot water would be serviced by a local storage cistern often situated in the loft.

"This caused an imbalance of pressures which meant that if incorrect taps and valves were installed one stream of water could force its way across to the other."

Water bylaws prevented hot and cold water being mixed because water that had been sitting in a tank in the loft was not deemed safe to drink, he said.
As far back as 1965 a code of practice called CP 310 advised that wherever possible hot water taps should be placed on the left.

"One of the reasons to maintain that over the years was reported to be so that the visually impaired would always know which sides the hot and cold were on," said Mr Wellman.

"When mixer taps came into vogue there was still a requirement to make sure water didn't mix until it came out of the tap," he said.

"So if you look closely you might be able to see the hot coming from the left hand side and the cold the right."

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

here’s how to whitelist the verge

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i think sql server is real good at arabic text stemming weirdly enough, plus has some good integration with AD or something for row level security or something??

idk there are reasons to use it beyond legacy but most people i deal with just use postgresql for everything when they get a choice

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hey i’m here to judge anyone who wants to be harangued, just post and i’ll go on and on about it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What is the stated purpose of an "air tag." And what do people actually use them for? Cause I gotta be honest I have no idea why someone would have one.

i regularly start making GBS threads myself leaving the house trying to find my wallet or work lanyard. i used tile for that until the batteries ran out

it’s actually less critical for me since the plague as i’m not travelling all the time but being able to find poo poo when i was under pressure is good poo poo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

get a bowl or something put it somewhere convenient and always put your wallet and keys in it

i’m too stupid for that sorry

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

he's the guy who wrote the guy fieri node.js post

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

As a computer toucher guy, I often wonder how to handle accounts that an SO would need access to if I wasn't around. Seems like there isn't a general "good" way to do it.

1password has an emergency kit thing for this. basically it’s just an A4 with a bunch of clear instructions and keys and passwords to open my password vault. my waifu has a paper copy stashed away

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

ligatures in code are super gross lemme tell you

:yeah:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

how can a helicopter be ‘powered’ by a logging library

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

I have a real love / hate relationship with regex at this point

i think boy genius jeff atwood described them as the ‘stockholm syndrome of programming’ which is a good metaphor imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

The_Franz posted:

with that girl from the bus

his phone wasn’t even hooked up

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

30-50 feral logs

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

is that a realpost? i honestly cant tell

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

Work / Life balance is important

we call it work life harmony

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

I got a small cyberpower a couple years back because APC is like 100% markup here and the one time it was needed it just shut off after a couple seconds of using the battery. I'm hoping it's just that the battery is dead but lol

i have a small cyber power too, bought at pb tech, it runs my nas and network hardware for about 30 minutes on battery

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

same, that's why I mentioned a generator in my post.

sorry sorry trying to fix it!

anyway one thing that continues to surprise me is that despite the proliferation of items that use 5V USB as a power source there's essentially no options for a USB-only UPS. converting 12V DC to 120V AC then back to 5V DC just seems silly.

isn’t any usb battery pack or travel charger with built in battery effectively this (minus the data port to notify on power events)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

whats up with 2 yubikeys?

i have two, one which stays at home always, and one on my lanyard. having one puts you at risk of locking yourself out too easily imho

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this is some wild poo poo, the interact of BGP/Opsec, astrology, and makeup

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

what are the odds?

the amount of propaganda out of both sides is absolutely loving nuts, so pretty much everything you see anywhere is suspect

adam curtis posted:

Surkov turned Russian politics into a bewildering, constantly changing piece of theater. He sponsored all kinds of groups, from neo-Nazi skinheads to liberal human rights groups. He even backed parties that were opposed to President Putin.

But the key thing was, that Surkov then let it be known that this was what he was doing, which meant that no one was sure what was real or fake. As one journalist put it: "It is a strategy of power that keeps any opposition constantly confused."

As one journalist put it: "It is a strategy of power that keeps any opposition constantly confused."

A ceaseless shape-shifting that is unstoppable because it is undefinable. It is exactly what Surkov is alleged to have done in the Ukraine this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4MWs7qTr8

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

she holds her head/camera at that angle the whole time, maybe she sees that as her good side but after a while watching I get some sort of sympathetic crick in my neck

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

quote:

Releases will be signed by the maintainers themselves (rather than a middleman you are told you can trust)

ummmmmmmm it was the maintainer of leftpad that owned JS, the maintainer of node-ipc that owned vue

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Quackles posted:

• Homebrew, which has just done... all this,

i think that guy started homebrew but hasn't been involved in it for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

hang on there friend. max howell is a former contributor (see?) who just announced a competitor to homebrew. homebrew has literally nothing to do with him any more.

yeah