Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
maybe his calendar is bricked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my email as a hellish landscape of junk because i got in early on first initial + last name @ gmail.com and so I just stopped caring.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
eagerly awaiting the next oven with an IR camera that claims to solve all these internal-temp issues thru magic machine learning

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:rolleyes: i said the next magic kickstarter oven

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Nomnom Cookie posted:

sure, it would be very surprising and impressive if an attacker managed to elicit undesired behavior from malloc by sending packets to wireguard
this is such a strange argument. it presupposes an entirely different vector that any other product, malloc-using or not, would be just as vulnerable to? or am i reading too much into it

not using malloc eliminates vulnerability classes

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

whew, without the GIF i'd be super worried about cutting humans out of the loop and bots just mashing code around without supervision

but they had a celebratory gif? so its probably nothing to worry about

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i mean yeah no poo poo if you didn't lock the door it isn't locked
uh, it's a cheap apartment sliding glass door? the little bit of stamped metal clinging to the frame does a lot less than the broomstick

you can see the way she yanks hard on the first pull, it's very likely 'locked' and that's overpowering it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

D. Ebdrup posted:

There is more to opensource than a loving kernel. Otherwise, you're welcome to show how you run everything in your custom-built O3 micro-architecture optimized kernel and whatever loving stupid nonsense people think will totally make up cputime spent compared to the additional cputime it takes to build it.

some amazing energy on display here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i like how the two joke proposals for len-first are incompatible widths

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shame Boy posted:

also the phrase "CPU startup" makes me intensely uncomfortable

the truth is intel can't make moonshots any more, they require stodgy improvement in every benchmark without regression

someone else with access to similar process tech could make a huge dent in x86 by Not Caring about every little corner

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Captain Foo posted:

seems like a p deece barrier to entry

sure, a decade ago

lately tho?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
“i can’t imagine a CPU smaller than a desktop processor”

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
that’s it? x86, arm, end of list?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
transmeta was right, it's exploiting the wealth of info available at runtime

Shame Boy posted:

wasn't that literally what cyrix was for a while
idk that's a decade old grudge

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Varkk posted:

I don’t think they ever publicly made their own machine code/instructions available so you couldn’t program or compile directly to it
but you’re certain it exists

D. Ebdrup posted:

Transmeta wasn't the first or last product to do dynamic binary translation; Elbrus did it before and Godson-3 by Loongson did the same - plus it's the idea behind Mill.

In theory it's great, but I don't know how it translates to a modern x86 processor where the microcode is responsible for converting the CISC-like ISA to a RISC-like ISA consisting of micro-operations to be performed by either the individual cores or all the custom circuitry that Intel stuffs in their chips to handle special cases.

EDIT: Doesn't stop me from wanting one of the VERY rare SHARP laptops which run with the Transmeta Efficeon CPUs at ~1.1GHz.
:allears:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you could actually explain stuff

the first one is strange because it fundamentally misunderstands what transmeta was doing. like if their IR was some fixed target that they published and had to adhere to version after version, it'd eventually be just as bogged down as x86. assuming it could be targeted is a mistake. especially once you're past the first couple gears

the second one's a hashed mishmash of disparate concepts, opening with a boringly banal "DBI has been done before," but it leans hard into the canard of 'x86 is CISC with RISCs inside!' which is woefully misinformed. micro-ops have to exist for well under a centimeter, their design reflects this and they have properties ('ridiculously wide') that make them inappropriate as an ISA that would have to be fetched from disk and persist in RAM. furthermore, it's not even a RISC as it's not orthogonal and you can, e.g. ld r1, [r2]. then, my favorite line, "custom circuits for edge cases" which is either a handwaving definition for an entire ASIC or something very particular to the vagaries of x86 memory coherence. so it's either wholly meaningless or in the category of "why would you even WANT to copy that"

hows that

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

absolute garbage and you were a shithead to more than 2 people so you aren't even trying here
the only thing im confused about is who's the third person i was a shithead to? i quoted 2 posts, explained 2 posts. did i sideswipe someone on the way?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jabor posted:

your infosec guy turns 365 degrees and walks off at acute angle

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

haveblue posted:

there was a game called chromehounds

it was the best

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
should hire the folks who ran that doctor role-play where they start saying systems are unavailable because of ransomware

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"think about why an app needs permissions"

oh yea

cracked that nut, gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you think that now but when your recommendations are full of bulgarian soul music you'll be begging for 2FA