Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Podima posted:

hang on can we go back to this, what the gently caress

This combines nicely with Excel's continuing inability to open two files with the same name. There seems to be something deep in the Microsoft consciousness that two files must always be different and if they're not then gently caress off you're doing computers wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spankmeister posted:

Data centers are some of the most ugliest, power hungry structures known to man. The Netherlands is absolutely lousy with them, displacing farmland (not a bad thing per sé) and nature (bad).

One of the wilder aspects of Microsoft's latest new datacenter project is that the province now threatens to sue the municipality over who has the legal authority to grant planning permission. Meanwhile Microsoft is like 'cool just let us know the outcome while we continue pre-construction'

This being the end result of 20 years of successive right-wing governments going 'Let's abolish the ministry for spatial planning and kick that all down to local authorities, what's the worst that could happen'

Meanwhile farmers are angry because nobody gives a poo poo about farmers anymore and a lot of people are mad that all the output of subsidised wind farms is instantly swallowed up by new datacenters used by foreigners, the horror

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My wife's employer's payment processor got breached and all data leaked, that's going to be fun :suicide:

e: the fuckers got breached in January but only now figured out what was stolen and didn't bother telling anyone in the meantime, good job idiots

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 17, 2021

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

are there not disclosure requirements as part of the pci/other standards payment processors?

It's a payroll company, not a payment processor, sorry. They do need to call the local data security watchdog presumably

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
fun with planes

quote:

A software mistake caused a Tui flight to take off heavier than expected as female passengers using the title “Miss” were classified as children, an investigation has found.

The departure from Birmingham airport to Majorca with 187 passengers on board was described as a “serious incident” by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB).

An update to the airline’s reservation system while its planes were grounded due to the coronavirus pandemic led to 38 passengers on the flight being allocated a child’s “standard weight” of 35kg as opposed to the adult figure of 69kg.

This caused the load sheet – produced for the captain to calculate what inputs are needed for take-off – to state that the Boeing 737 was more than 1,200kg lighter than it actually was.

Investigators described the glitch as “a simple flaw” in an IT system. It was programmed in an unnamed foreign country where the title “Miss” is used for a child and “Ms” for an adult female.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

seed is stored in the vaults

posting from the RSA's headquarters at Svalbard

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fart Sandwiches posted:

lmao i knew something like this would eventually happen. let's make a social network out of paying people and mark every transaction as public by default! what could go worng

leaving that typo

The only reason everybody is searching Venmo for juicy stories is that GOP congressman who got caught paying underage girls for totally-not-sex while taking them abroad in a private jet, and who then thought that going on TV and talking about it would be a good idea

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I see hackers have mooved on to other targets

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hobbesmaster posted:

at least they’re not the first website owner to be brought down by $10 cookies

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's also a matter of time (days/weeks probably) before somebody figures out that the thermostat control network pasword is 'texas' and sets them all to 110 degrees

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pointsofdata posted:

My mortgage provider insisted that some (but not all - there was no discernable pattern), were printed, hand signed, then scanned. Same for a bunch of local government docs.

Same, they didn't accept anything digital because they were afraid hackers could turn my mortgage into a bomb

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ewiley posted:

I think we should just start adding poo poo like ß all the time, not just adding more dick emojis. gently caress your ASCII, bring back long S in english.

Between ye olde English, and modern German and Greek, why do so many languages have weird esses?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spankmeister posted:

he was probably just installing crypto devices at embassies or something, not everybody is James Bond.

Sure but whose embassies, and did they know he was installing them? :tinfoil:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Capitalism forces us all to debase ourselves one way or another.

user/post combo of the year

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

oh I’m sure there were some white hats there

lmao

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Missouri Compromise, surely

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

champagne posting posted:

So what do you do yell as loudly as you can "I PLEASE THE FIFTH!"???

have you tried being extremely rich

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Antigravitas posted:

Regarding time vampires, I've worked with people who I had no time zone overlap with.

you can just say 'Australians'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
discreet members of congress in YOUR area