Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

or identify hosts that only whitelist bank ip ranges

If they spoof, then wouldn't they never see the replies and therefore not know who whitelists what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rufus Ping posted:

in theory this isnt a dealbreaker (antirez's tcp idle scan) but yea i dont see how it would work here, or anywhere else for the past 20 years

Hadn't heard of that, thanks.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
i installed raid drivers on a new pc. they came with apache. i thought of this thread

then i thought about eating a bullet

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

i think its more that applications use services to handle privileged tasks without giving the user UAC prompts. and then if you're gonna have a service why not make it a web service. For a raid controller this might also be useful if its intended for management over a network.

It reminds me of the elaborate poo poo that garbage developers did right after UAC launched to "work around" it, except now it's ~best practice~ among enterprise idiots

abigserve posted:

if you want to write an electron app without writing the entire backend in Node you will need to run a web server at some point

lol I'm pretty sure you only get a uac prompt for this if it's opening a port on an interface other than localhost. might wanna do a cheeky portscan on your machine there buddy

I thought the same thing and uninstalled that poo poo immediately. this system can live without RAID.

pseudorandom posted:

I wonder how many people actually change the username/password.

It makes you change it on login, but it's still 100+MB of code that eats network poo poo on one end and diddles your SATA controller on the other.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Lain Iwakura posted:

ah no i didn't mention it to her it seems but

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1171174732101644288

i am tempted to just dump the details about how you retrieve the data just to dial up the heat

Resurrecting this to say that I was in a university group that PoC'd this exact thing several years ago, but administration wouldn't let us move forward with a disclosure because it was too hard/scary to report, and they just assumed that the right people must already know (?). Been waiting for it to finally hit the fan.

When we had this setup going, I had to stop a student's live demo because SSNs, addresses, and diagnoses started scrolling by.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/11/retailer-orvis-com-leaked-hundreds-of-internal-passwords-on-pastebin/

Krebs posted:

a file containing a staggering number of internal usernames and passwords for Orvis had been posted to Pastebin.
this enormous passwords file was actually posted to Pastebin on two separate occasions last month
For instance, included in the Pastebin files from Orvis were plaintext usernames and passwords for just about every kind of online service or security product the company has used, including:

-Antivirus engines
-Data backup services
-Multiple firewall products
-Linux servers
-Cisco routers
-Netflow data
-Call recording services
-DNS controls
-Orvis wireless networks (public and private)
-Employee wireless phone services
-Oracle database servers
-Microsoft 365 services
-Microsoft Active Directory accounts and passwords
-Battery backup systems
-Security cameras
-Encryption certificates
-Mobile payment services
-Door and Alarm Codes
-FTP credentials
-Apple ID credentials
-Door controllers

The Orvis credentials file even contained the combination to a locked safe in the company’ server room.

The only clue about the source of the Orvis password file is a notation at the top of the document that reads “VT Technical Services.”

You can read between the lines and imagine the exact mixture of incompetence that led to this.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
any folks here have a good link or something for a college student asking "maybe i want a career in security?" (other than "no dont", "buy a million alcohol", "you will want to die", etc)

i have a lot of deep dive stuff on specific topics, but all the high level stuff i turn up is from poo poo like "mynewcodingcareer.biz"

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Jowj posted:

that is how i started, but, personal opinion:

getting people with non standard backgrounds into security is useful and productive for those of us already in security.

all else being equal i'd rather hire someone who has a good security mindset ("doing things that way seems dangerous, here's why i think that!", or "what happens if someone puts something you don't expect here?", etc) vs someone who has 5 years of experience writing ansible playbooks or lovely flask apps or whatever.

to answer this question: yes i gotcha.
https://tisiphone.net/2015/10/12/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-1-3/

^^ this woman is rad. there's a bunch of good stuff all over her blog, but if you just want the "what is each job role kinda like give me more context" then you want the next post in the series:
https://tisiphone.net/2015/11/08/starting-an-infosec-career-the-megamix-chapters-4-5/

Thanks, that's absolutely perfect!

Trabisnikof posted:

An almost more important question is how does that student want to spend their day to day life on the job. Lots of ways to “be in security” from academia to dev to consulting to just doing math all day. But if you know you don’t want to code all day or that you value in person group work, that is really helpful when trying to find a career path that works for you.

For context, I work with a lot of masters students with very little conception of what a computing career can be beyond "do software". They all want to work at Facebook/Apple/Google/Amazon/etc with a vague notion of programming, and if you ask what sort of programming, they just say "backend" or "frontend" (not realizing that they're just referring to web and not the rest of all of computing). I'm trying to get them to see that computing is actually broad and diverse and that most jobs you'd want are ones you've never heard of yet. As one part of this, I'm trying to introduce students to a variety of different areas, one of which is security, but it was difficult, because security has a larger-than-average shrieking buzzword mill surrounding it, which makes finding good introduction stuff hard.

Incidentally, I also teach intro security, and this thread is the best thing ever for that. If YOSPOS ever goes away, getting a constant stream of secfucks to jam into my course is going to become actual work.

Like, every year I tell students that Symantec is trash, and every year there's a new insane vulnerability posted here within a week or two of me saying that that reinforces my point.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Truga posted:

you say that, but the guy who put up a list of all SSNs (a text file with all numbers from 000000000 to 999999999) got banned from fb/twitter or something lmao

poo poo, he must have had access to the hacker tool "seq"

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shame Boy posted:

if anyone weird like me wants to read the site i was talking about it's here

it's timecube-levels of fascinatingly incoherent which is something i hadn't seen from a site like this in a while

anyway that has nothing to do with this thread so i'll shut up now

oh that's greg buell! he was an awful link of the day like a million years ago and i check in on him every few years. he had a ton of spoken word poem mp3s about his obsession with some woman, his invention of the electric windmill car in the 80s (put windmills on cars so they power themselves), gravity control, non-poisonous cobra, "kennedy and the others", etc.

he's got a youtube now where he posts phone videos of closed starbucks and cruise ships in florida from his old-crazy-person tricycle.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Serv-U FTP?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hey, I'm teaching a security class that looks at malware, and the emotet sample I've been giving to them to test now goes dormant and doesn't even persist (probably due to shutdown of its C2). I've been scrolling through malware-traffic-analysis looking for a replacement, but everything is too fancy, since it's the students' first reverse engineering ever.

Anyone have a suggestion for some Windows malware that runs as an EXE, talks to some C2 stuff, and becomes persistent like with CurrentVersion\Run? That's what the old one did, and it was on their level.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Fart Sandwiches posted:

when I had to do the same thing for baby’s first re class I just wrote my own “malware” that did all the stuff I needed to. not sure what your timeline is but it only took me like an afternoon. worst advice ever tho haha

I thought about it, but I hate Windows internals. I don't want to look up a RegWriteEx call with DWORDS or whatever dogshit API's I'd need to use.

After plowing through sample after sample all goddamn day, the Remcos RAT from here seems like it will work. Now I just need to explain to the kids what a cmd.exe is, what a Windows NT Logon registry key is, and why you'd want to use one to create the other.

I can't believe I spent a full day purposefully trying to get infected with malware, and it was HARD. Guessing most malware sees a stock VirtualBox environment and nopes out nowadays?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

spankmeister posted:

the low hanging fruit fire and forget malware is 99% crypto miners nowadays.

criminal groups that used to be into banking malware and such all use loaders that do some rudimentary (or sophisticated) sandbox checking.

then they 99% of the time drop a cobalt strike beacon.

even "nation state" actors use commodity C2 frameworks a lot now.

Dang, computing even sucks for criminals now :smith:

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ulf posted:

hey what would be more interesting to people itt, a byte-by-byte breakdown of DTLS 1.2, or of QUIC?

(trying to pick my next rainy-day project)

i'm leaning towards QUIC but i haven't really worked with either of them to this point. QUIC has more real-world uptake afaik. not saying they're equivalent to each other, but i only want to commit to doing one.

EDIT: This would be along the lines of my last two projects:

Just wanted to also thank you for these - I have students in my class use them on assignments to learn TLS. Also voting QUIC, because I don't understand that newfangled poo poo.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i added the 202 videos to a playlist

Thank you for this.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
Unlurking to thank this thread for letting me know about flipper availability. Didn't think I'd be able to snag one.

Also lmao the yiffy-hellman “key” exchange

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ulf posted:

dang, I thought I guarded again that by fudging^W adjusting the numbers if you put in any multiple of the base point’s order.

I tested it a bunch but you know what they say about code making contact with the enemy.

so what happened is that as you multiply points on the curve you’ll eventually land on the point with the same x-value as the base point, but a different y-value. if you draw a line through that point from P it’s vertical and that line can never intersect another point. we call that result the “infinity” point, and in EC math (infinity + P) = P. the number of point additions it takes to reach this is called the “order” of the base point, and the cycle resets and all the points repeat in the same way after that.

so in my toy curve, which I picked to be small and visible, infinity is the result 1/73 of the time. in a real curve like Curve25519, infinity is the result one out of 2^252 times which is trillions of trillions of trillions … repeat the word “trillions” three more times. the curve scheme might also have mitigation against hitting hit by masking certain bits, I’d have to check the paper again. they might also reserve a special value like all-zeros to represent infinity.

in practice what would probably happen is your key exchange fails, your endpoints get confused, and they attempt a new connection. the user might be annoyed if they’re not distracted by the whole heat death of the universe thing.

Once again I take a thing from ulfheim.net and stick it directly into the class I teach.

Lurking yospos: something my job should pay me for.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Beeftweeter posted:

has anyone here used them to do something cool? it looks rad but $170 is a bit steep for something i'm not even sure i'd get much use out of

I got mine crazy fast for someone who only heard about it recently in this thread.

I have zero RF experience, and:
  • I was able to scan to identify the operating frequency of a proprietary and obsolete RF remote and record/replay signals from it. The dev forum clued me in on how I can use that to make a duplicate remote using the plain CC1101 radio chip.
  • I was able to record/replay my car key fob to unlock my car with the Flipper. (You have to have the key far from the car, record the unlock string, then use the flipper to replay it before it hears from the real key fob again to defeat the rolling key)
  • I was able to pull NFC data off every card I own, including a paper single-use subway pass. If any were dumb enough to use the UID for authentication, it can clone that (no targets I've tried have yet though).
  • I was able to install a huge database of IR remotes and operate every IR device I'm come across so far.
  • The stock firmware obeys FCC frequency rules, but it's not hard to install "unlocked" firmware that doesn't care, complete with a Guy Fawkes mask version of the dolphin mascot.
  • The dolphin is loving adorable.

Not critical to me, but definitely a fun toy.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Snuff Melange posted:

Nevertheless, the point was that even if a bad deploy to prod costs tens of thousands, it's still best to continually deploy and accept that risk.

In what world is this a positive risk/reward tradeoff? What mindblowing superfeatures are on the other end of the equation that getting them out a few days earlier without review justifies a potential 5 figure cost, even at low probability?

I know the last 20 years of software history have been "gently caress quality" in larger and larger font, but god, we don't need to step on the accelerator even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shame Boy posted:

i would simply adopt the one that has the most CVE's because that means there's fewer left to find