Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

Also, the idea of devices that you take around the store to prescan stuff (or a smartphone app) is good but in practice stores screw this up by making you wait in the same lines as assholes who get into the self-checkout line with 10,000 things in their cart and then sometimes making you have an employee come over to see if you've actually checked everything.

fairway app just lets you use your phone to scan as you shop and then you don't need to be in the regular lines to finalize and pay. p dece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

Do you just pay through the app at the end? Sam's Club theoretically has one that works like that (which seemed like a brilliant idea) but it wouldn't let me check out the one time I tried it

yeah they have you add a credit card to save with the store and pay from there,though you can also just scan through the app and then put in your card physically at a pos at the checkout area

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cocoa Crispies posted:

or it’s to make apple poo poo not worth stealing

oh theyve been doing that for 26 years

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Can you even get 4K 55" OLED Monitors? Or even just 4K OLED?

They're sold as "digital signs" mostly, they just TVs with the minimum necessary to show current signals

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

china was not and never would have been a member of the TPP

thats the point dipshit.

dropping the entire new bloc's relianc eon china via increasing it amongst themselves, meaning china has far less relevance to any of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Potato Salad posted:

Security podcasts. Go.

Security Now :twisted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rex-Goliath posted:

wait a sec i thought apple had their devices lying about their mac addresses until a user authenticated connection occurred for years now

as long as it lies consistently for a few minutes at a time, thats enough to track someone in like a store, or to make a quick confirmation with something else local to the device that x mac address is associated with y user in whatever app for now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CommieGIR posted:

Check out the TI Nspire CX.

It has a god damned touchpad.

Well yeah, that's what a 10 dollar build to sell for $150 gets you these days :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Soricidus posted:

hot take: it isn’t obvious why the first person who has an idea should be entitled to collect rent from it anyway.

its actually incredibly obvious

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

Patents are based on the idea that it takes years for news of discoveries to travel

lmao no they aren't. they're based on the idea that news of discoveries will travel fast, therefore you need protection since clearly other people will want to take your idea

like in the time when the constitution was written, which explicitly grants congress the ability "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;" you would be able to get news from all the way around the world in about 3-4 months and transatlantic communications were typically 3-4 weeks each way - news of an invention would take quite a lot less than years to travel

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

starting to wonder if those addresses are worth any serious money. i mean if your name + lastname is common enough, there's bound to be someone out there with too much money and an oversized ego ready to pay for it

yeah but when you try to sell it they'll ask you to contact them at the email address you already use, so you're back to square one

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lain Iwakura posted:

what is your twitter handle?

yea i noticed i was blocked too and i use the same handle on twitter

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Krankenstyle posted:

some kids have been sending me google docs invites for their school projects for going on 4 years now (same name problem again) and ive had it with them!

is it touching the poop to inject a poop joke into their project?

you should help them with their homework

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Senior Dog posted:

how do you think 99% of people are going to read that

they already have no idea what a vpn is so whats the difference

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

From the grey forums

giggling about how the tweeter thinks they're "posting as a google group" when that's still just a usenet thing that google groups is showing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

D. Ebdrup posted:

are you sure they weren't con addicts on men drugs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!