Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone got a recommendation for tire covers for storing my spare set of tires? With the place I moved into I think I'm going to have to stack them on the balcony and I'd rather have them covered by something than just sitting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for tire covers for storing my spare set of tires? With the place I moved into I think I'm going to have to stack them on the balcony and I'd rather have them covered by something than just sitting out.

The cheapest ones on amazon are a loving pain to use, not sure about ones with good reviews and real money attached.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have Kurgo TireTotes and they work perfectly fine for hauling to and from the basement.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How often do those rebates for 4 tires come along? I see Michelin has $70 until the 12th. I'll need to get snow tires (& wheels) eventually but it's a long way to winter here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charles posted:

How often do those rebates for 4 tires come along? I see Michelin has $70 until the 12th. I'll need to get snow tires (& wheels) eventually but it's a long way to winter here.

like, all the time

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

like, all the time

Ahh the Bridgestone one doesn't cover Blizzak anyway :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Costco pretty much always has something running if you're a member.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I recently bought a set of Pirelli winter ice zero 2 to replace my 5 seasons old Conti ice contact 2s for my Ford S-Max. The ice zero 2 are the latest studded winter tyre model from Pirelli so i'm hoping they will be good. The sales guy gave me a nice discount for them so might as well try them out. The Conti were decent until last spring when they suddenly started losing a lot of studs, with something like 50% missing from two of the tyres.

For summers I have Goodyear efficient grip performance which I may also have to replace. I'll have to examine their condition after after I change the winters on. They have been fine for my driving, except for a single puncture the previous summer.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/stultusvox/status/1317999557138108419?s=21
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t understand why the owner just doesn’t get the 20” winter tire and wheel set from tirerack. I’ve pointed out the 20” and 19” package and everyone keeps replying with “but the car came with 21” wheels”. Is there a weird Tesla thing where it won’t work unless you use the original tire size?

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 20, 2020

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Clearing the brakes, and that you cannot legally change the stated tire dimensions in some markets can be reasons. It's most likely because of some false advertising lawsuit threat though.

I belive the model 3 performance can not fit less than very specific 19s due to the performance brakes.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 20, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oh right, that makes sense. Does tirerack take brake clearance into account when they recommend wheels? I specified the Model Y Performance with 21” wheels when I looked for a winter wheel and tire package.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Fitting winter tires and the accompanying wheels to Teslas are a big deal here in Norway, but other than some tire shops selling tesla specific packages, you're on your own in terms of what wheels clear the calipers or otherwise fits. Take it to the shop and find out, or trawl forums.

This guy goes through some of the issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDGINL3kps&t=187s

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh right, that makes sense. Does tirerack take brake clearance into account when they recommend wheels? I specified the Model Y Performance with 21” wheels when I looked for a winter wheel and tire package.

Generally they seem to, but don't always have every parameter. For example, on a Subaru Impreza Sport, it wouldn't let me select anything less than 18" wheels. Those brakes seem to be WRX brakes which can fit smaller wheels. If they do have the option for smaller ones I'd guess they have checked, but I'd just call / email and ask.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah 16" wheels will fit over the older (pre 2015) wrx brakes. Even some 15s work.

I would guess there are a number of 18" wheels that fit over the telsa brakes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2020 Impreza, 205/55/16 stock size. Looking for snow tires for the Seattle area, so more to do with rain with the occasional snow. I had no problems with WS80s on my old car in the snow, which was a lowered FWD car, so I'll be happy with any of the modern snow tires I think.

The only question then was, if I buy a set of wheels, Tire Rack gives the optional size of 195/65/15. For mostly wet with occasional snow on an AWD car, is it worth it to go for the narrower / smaller size?

edit: one advantage is the tires are a lot cheaper. But somehow 16" wheels are cheaper haha

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 22, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You could buy the outgoing ZR1 Corvette with Pilot Sport Cup 2s on it, which are nearly incapable just in the rain. Buying a performance car with summer tires on it doesn’t put the onus for showing it with winter tires on the manufacturer. Tesla nerds are the loving worst.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
In what word is a track focused supercar relevant in a discussion on a 4 door crossover suv? It is perfectly reasonable to want to drive your new suv legally for half the year, and I think tesla owners can be legitimately mad that Tesla made that big an oversight. Winter tires are a legal requirement in a lot of places. Hell, even BMW made sure there where winter tires available for the i3 with its weird rear end bicycle tires.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Random tire-ish related story: Once in Minnesota I had to drive through a severe thunderstorm front that basically ensured there was one inch or more of standing water on the roadway at all times due to how unimaginably hard it was raining. On a US highway with a posted speed limit of 60 I was having to keep it under 30 to avoid hydroplaning on P215 tires. Suddenly along the way with lightning flashes happening at a rate of about 1 per second a Geo Metro just loving blasts by me at 60+ like it's dry pavement because those adorable P165 (or 155) bicycle tires let them.

Carry on you crazy Metro and your bicycle tires. Carry on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'd guess your problem had more to do with tread depth than tread width.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK, the tire shop sent me home with one of the tires inflated to 65psi! Besides the wtf factor, think I did any damage to the tire, going about 9 miles home? I'll have to inspect the sidewall for what the max pressure is, but it's dark and I'm tired now. I set all the tires back to the door sticker obviously.
Edit: it's a blizzak ws90 and off the top of my head it's 205/55/16

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Unless you hit a bump and broke some of the belts in the tire you should be fine (you’d notice a bulge on the tire surface if you did).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Apollo posted:

Unless you hit a bump and broke some of the belts in the tire you should be fine (you’d notice a bulge on the tire surface if you did).

Alright I'll keep an eye out. The TPMS sensor max reading appears to be 51. 💩

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I’ve got a Freelander 2 (LR2 in the us) and I’m after some tyre advice. I got it a year ago and it came with some Vredersten winters and Goodyear Wranger HPs, but annoyingly just one set of wheels.

The winters are a bit low on tread, and while the Goodyears are an all season I’m not convinced how good they would be when it gets slippy. I’ve got an occasional commute over ungritted Scottish B roads which can get quite icy - I had a few arse clenching moments last year even with winters.

I’m looking for a tyre to run all year, as I live in a flat so having a second set is a pain in the aforementioned arse. I’m not adverse to running winter tyres year round, especially in something unsporting - I did it in my 3 series for years.

I did consider Scorpion Verde or Michelin CrossClimate style all seasons, my wife’s Peugeot has the latter and it’s an impressive tyre. However I fancy something more off road biased, or alternatively feel a more dedicated winter tyre would be better for my commute.

So, TLDR, would 3 snowflake all terrain like a BFG K02 or Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10 significantly lose out in ice performance to a dedicated, more road biased winter tyre?

Or does anybody have a suggestion for a tyre choice which would fit my needs - an all rounder which doesn’t suck on icy roads.

I’ve ran both the above all terrains before on a Freelander 1 and Ford Ranger respectively and was happy with their performance on tarmac.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

stump posted:

Freelander tyre bullshit

I’ve done a little more research....

- I’ve decided on 4 season ATs, but not ko2’s as they are bloody expensive and maybe aren’t the best in winter.
- Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S seem like the best for the money, anybody used them? Some Eastern European guys in dacias and Americans in huge pickups have some very encouraging videos of them in use.
- Hankook rf10’s (like hens teeth), Falken Wildpeak, Pirelli Scorpion AT+ also in the running.
- I really overthink tyre purchases.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

stump posted:

I’ve done a little more research....

- I’ve decided on 4 season ATs, but not ko2’s as they are bloody expensive and maybe aren’t the best in winter.
- Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S seem like the best for the money, anybody used them? Some Eastern European guys in dacias and Americans in huge pickups have some very encouraging videos of them in use.
- Hankook rf10’s (like hens teeth), Falken Wildpeak, Pirelli Scorpion AT+ also in the running.
- I really overthink tyre purchases.

I have used Cooper Disco AT3’s on my Suburban in Michigan for years. I get about 70,000 miles a set, 3 sets in a row. They see mostly highway commuting and rural dirt roads. They are not as good as dedicated snow tires in the snow but they aren’t bad in the snow. I have driven down unplowed rural roads through snow drifts higher than the hood without traction issues. I have a feeling the new “4s” version might be a little softer compound so they supposedly should be a little better in the extra cold temps. I highly recommend this tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I drove some Pathfinder Sport S AT (Discount branded version of a Kumho tire) in snow once on my old WJ.

Granted I have very little experience in snow but compared to the 2WD SUVs spinning their tires left and right around me, I never felt traction limited unless I did something like stomp the throttle.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have been recommending the new Geolander G015's for all weather all terrain tires. In the 4 ply version, they're the lightest in their class. They have the snow flake rating and handle snow very well. There's also enough siping to also be decent on ice and good in the rain.

Edit: I am a total Yokohama fanboy.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 31, 2020

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Thanks for the info. Glad Coopers seem decent, it wasn’t a brand I was particularly aware of previously.

I looked into the G015, they are about the same price as the Coopers, and similar reviews with the Coopers perhaps marginally better.

Going for +10 width and +5 profile too, which fits without modification and gives an extra 2cm clearance.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

So I ordered a set of Coopers, which got cancelled because they were out of stock. And then realised my old Hankook’s were hard to find because they had been replaced by a new version. So a set of 245 70 17’s Hankook Dynapro RF11 at2’s at £106 a corner plus fitting now adorn my wee freelander.

As expected they are a bit noisier, but after a few hundred miles I’m very happy. The guy who fitted them set them at 38psi, I set them back to the stock 32 today, which perhaps improved steering feel at the cost of road noise. I think some experimentation is required.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Modus Man posted:

I have used Cooper Disco AT3’s on my Suburban in Michigan for years. I get about 70,000 miles a set, 3 sets in a row. They see mostly highway commuting and rural dirt roads. They are not as good as dedicated snow tires in the snow but they aren’t bad in the snow. I have driven down unplowed rural roads through snow drifts higher than the hood without traction issues. I have a feeling the new “4s” version might be a little softer compound so they supposedly should be a little better in the extra cold temps. I highly recommend this tire.

I just put a set of those Coopers on the work truck and was seriously considering them for my burban, they do all right on the dirt roads when they get all soupy but I haven't had the chance to try it in snow yet.

What's the best option in an all season for summer performance when you can't find a summer tire for a car?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used the Nankang NS-2R?

I just swapped to my winter wheels and it's clear that the Yokohamas are on their last legs, there's still a reasonable amount of thread but there are chunks missing in some places and one tire is significantly worn down on the outside (hopefully from drifting and not alignment issue). The Nankangs seem to get a good amount of buzz and can be had for like half the price of the AD08s, but it's hard to tell if it's bullshit and/or paid shilling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpeedFreek posted:

I just put a set of those Coopers on the work truck and was seriously considering them for my burban, they do all right on the dirt roads when they get all soupy but I haven't had the chance to try it in snow yet.

What's the best option in an all season for summer performance when you can't find a summer tire for a car?

I put all season Coopers on the Speed6 two years ago and they were actually fantastic in winter. Not anywhere near what I had with the blizzaks but they were imho better than the Khumos I replaced them with. And due to multiple rebates from Ebay and Discount Tire as well as getting free mounting at Costco and then selling the old tires, I ended up being into the new set for like $260 all in.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Just throwing this out there: KO2s have made my list of garbage tires. 19,000 miles and 3 rotations on a set I put on in February.

These are the snowflake ones on a ram 3500. I drive gravel roads/farm fields/country road and through snow/icy hill country with a little bit of highway and some towing. I probably use 4wd on a weekly basis, if not more. They ride smooth and quiet, traction is ok. But it ends there. Fuel economy and longevity sucks. Leave these for vehicles that don’t get driven. Going back to michelins regardless of how old and uncool they look.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Rhyno posted:

I put all season Coopers on the Speed6 two years ago and they were actually fantastic in winter. Not anywhere near what I had with the blizzaks but they were imho better than the Khumos I replaced them with. And due to multiple rebates from Ebay and Discount Tire as well as getting free mounting at Costco and then selling the old tires, I ended up being into the new set for like $260 all in.

I never used a Cooper before but the Disco AT3 on that truck was kinda the only choice being stuck in a small town in the Dakotas at the time, it was a huge improvement and didn't seem to add any highway noise. I am open to any good suggestions in 256/65/R18 that gets used for mostly highway but needs to handle light farm stuff and some towing, I usually default to the Suburban for heavy snow and light towing lately.

Thanks for the warning on the KO2's

On my other car, Jag XJ8 driven only in summer, I looked at the date codes on the tires and considered myself very lucky even though they pretty much have full tread. I cant find a summer tire in 225/60/R16 and if I'm driving spirited I can break the rear loose too easily. I believe I can go up or down slightly but I'd want to do a lot of measuring first.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Michelin pilot sport all-seasons will be perfect for that car. I have them on my MR2 and it’s a great combo of being tolerant of all weather, a great “feel”, and enough grip but not so much that my transmission is at risk.

I have the PS3AS3 but I think they’re up to 4’s now. I’m almost positive they come in that size, or something extremely close.

I’m a Michelin whore. Never regretted a Michelin but I’ve regretted others.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Same, on any type of vehicle I have ever owned. Goodyear is a close second.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Same. It's pretty much all I'll run on my cars. The only exception at the moment is Nokian Hakka R3's on my winter set for the M3.

I just got the new X-Ice Snow tires put on the Prius. Haven't used them in snow yet but they're alright in the dry. I was able to get a 53mpg tank with them on which was really surprising.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had X-Ices on a couple of cars over the years. The snow performance is not quite as good as a hard core snow tire like the Hakkapeliitta but they are relatively inexpensive, do very well in wet, and are relatively good on dry and warmer pavement.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The Michelin pilot sport all-seasons will be perfect for that car. I have them on my MR2 and it’s a great combo of being tolerant of all weather, a great “feel”, and enough grip but not so much that my transmission is at risk.

I have the PS3AS3 but I think they’re up to 4’s now. I’m almost positive they come in that size, or something extremely close.

They don't make them in that size unfortunately, at least I have all winter to find something so I can take the car out and do some measuring in the wheel wells on the next warm day.

My first experiences with Michelins was quite negative but I can put that to them being the OEM low rolling resistance on my MKV Jetta. You could light them up with the clutch all the way out in 2nd, after the tune/exhaust they would light up effortlessly in 3rd as soon as the boost came on. I'll blame that on the low rolling resistance as I've heard other people say they had good experiences with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone used the Nankang NS-2R?

I just swapped to my winter wheels and it's clear that the Yokohamas are on their last legs, there's still a reasonable amount of thread but there are chunks missing in some places and one tire is significantly worn down on the outside (hopefully from drifting and not alignment issue). The Nankangs seem to get a good amount of buzz and can be had for like half the price of the AD08s, but it's hard to tell if it's bullshit and/or paid shilling.
I’ve never used their summer tires but I’ve used Nankang winter tires for several years and really liked them. They were about half the cost of name brand tires. I read a bunch of European sites and they seemed to like them so I tired them and was really pleased with them. They’re kind of like Lexus from the 90s in that they give you 90% of the performance of the well known name brand tires but for 60% of the cost.