Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The way it solved racism actually made perfect sense after I finished watching the third cour in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Am I alone in thinking that C&T's earlier tunes were better than the later, better produced ones? Round and Laundry will always be MY number one...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Plot-wise that was oddly anticlimactic. Like there were 3 plots going on and it seemed like any one of them could have plausibly stopped the evil conservatives (this election cycle at least), but then it turned out all 3 went off without a hitch. No plan Bs, no improvisation needed.

Especially Tao. Earlier it seemed obvious he was going to be forced to make a singing mind control AI, or at least have his work stolen and misused or something, then it turned out he had no intention of ever doing that and when annoyed he could easily bring down the root of the whole conspiracy with no outside help.

That's just a minor issue though. It was a beautiful show with beautiful music and great characters.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Am I alone in thinking that C&T's earlier tunes were better than the later, better produced ones? Round and Laundry will always be MY number one...

Personally I'm all in on Whispering my Love but yeah, in general the songs in the first half were better in my opinion. The rest weren't bad, just not as catchy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

Especially Tao. Earlier it seemed obvious he was going to be forced to make a singing mind control AI, or at least have his work stolen and misused or something, then it turned out he had no intention of ever doing that and when annoyed he could easily bring down the root of the whole conspiracy with no outside help.

I really like that about this show. So many characters seem like they're going to be antagonists early on but they turn out to be surprisingly decent people. It is, overall, a very positive show despite the big plotline of the second cour.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Pootybutt posted:

What a final note to end on. That last little troll at the end is just *chef kiss*

I don't think I've ever actually yelled out loud "You motherfuckers!" at my TV before seeing that after the excitement at the previous slide.

Despite that, I really liked it. Music was a lot better in the first half I think, but the second one had some good stuff too. Looking forward to the next album for the full length versions.

Mokinokaro posted:

I really like that about this show. So many characters seem like they're going to be antagonists early on but they turn out to be surprisingly decent people. It is, overall, a very positive show despite the big plotline of the second cour.

Yeah. You come around on almost all the characters. It's refreshing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

linall posted:

Personally I'm all in on Whispering my Love but yeah, in general the songs in the first half were better in my opinion. The rest weren't bad, just not as catchy.

Lay It All On Me is incredibly gorgeous and is up there with the best songs of the first half.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Started giving this one a watch after I realized it was a Watanabe show and Keiko Nobumoto was on the writing team. Those two spin gold together and I'm really liking what I've watched so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've given the show the three episode trial and I think I'll keep watching. There's definitely good stuff in here, and a couple of issues I hope clear up.

First of all the characters are fun. I definitely gravitate more towards Carole than I do Tuesday (for reasons I'll get into) but they are a fun duo. I want to see what other part time jobs she tries to get between jam sessions.

Tuesday is a decent fish out of water and I want to see her do more erratic stuff like torching the DJ's house.

Roddy is a good boy and I like his Pacific Rim looking gunpla collection. Gus seems like he could be a lot of fun provided he stays sober.

Angela and Tao I'm not sure about yet. I get what they're going for with Angela but I also think someone on the production team has a bondage fetish now that she's been tied down to a table and tortured twice to fix her voice. Also her mom... yeah, not so sure what they're up to with her.

Ertegan is kind of a dick. As is Tuesday's mom. Her brother? is basically a non character at this point.

MVP is the dude at the laundromat who started vibing with their improvised song. The music has been on point so far and I'm hoping I stays that way.

Things I'm not so keen on is the animation and visual style. To completely contradict that sentence let me also say that I adore the animation and visual style. Now let me try to explain.

It's very clear already that the show is making a point about the dichotomy of the music industry, how there's an ever growing divide between the corporate side and the creative side. Carole and Tuesday represent the former andpeople like Tao, Angela and Ertegan, while not responsible for the entire industry, are definitely products of the corporate capitalist hellscape. Angela is chafing under the tacky, overproduced and oversexualized marketing machine. So the show is also visually reinforcing this theme by juxtaposing the bright, sterile and picturesque areas of the city against the grimy, lived-in Brookyln neighborhood where Carole and Tuesday live. It's a good visual metaphor.

I just think the former looks ugly beyond the "you're supposed to think this looks ugly" intonations. It looks like your generic anime landscape establishing shot with bright primary colours and zero substance behind any of it. Intentionally boring is still boring, it looks cheap and it bums me out because Watanabe absolutely knows how to make a compelling worldspace for his shows. Alba City shares its name with Alba City from the Cowboy Bebop movie and that depiction of the town is miles beyond Carole and Tuesday. There's still hints of that style in the Brooklyn neighborhood and it's no wonder those parts are where the show looks best.

My other issue is with the character designs, mainly Tuesday. There's still the incredibly broad range of character designs that I love about Watanabe shows, but with the visual style of C&T, I don't really like the way Tuesday looks. The backlighting and pale colour palette for her makes her look like a porcelain China doll. Again, intentional, but not something I particularly like. It's off-putting. And Angela's mom, her voice and her looks... yeah. I'm not sure I like where that could potentially go.

The English voice acting is pretty drat solid (Angela's mom giving off some uncomfortable drag vibes with her VA notwithstanding) and I like that they chose VAs who are pretty close to the singing voices.

I also really like how Watanabe has essentially updated his "50 years into the future" aesthetic from Bebop to reflect the late 2010s - 2020s. It's the same capitalist nightmare future of corporate greed and lovely poverty for the underclass, but with a larger focus on social media and economic oppression rather than outright violence and overwhelmed governments visibly cowtowing to corporate interests. C&T is so far a much more optimistic show than Bebop but that horrible capitalist nightmare existence persists.

Also can I just say how loving great it is to watch an anime about a hobby or craft that lets the craft speak for itself instead of having an awkward narration telling us how amazing something is because we can't afford to animate it or write proper songs? Letting the music sing for itself is goddamn refreshing.

Let's see where this goes.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 21, 2021