Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It has an enthralling legacy.
Moments that resound through the ages.
An event that captivates the heart of an entire world.
This is a night that carries us back to the enchanting world of our youth.
A spectacle that rejuvenates our spirit.
Welcome to Wrestlemania, the showcase of the immortals!

Welcome to the Wrestlemania Watchalong thread.... a celebration of life!

From the very first Wrestlemania all the way back in 1985, all the way to the current 7.5hr Behemoth of Wrestlemania 35, we're going to watch through them all and see if the older ones hold up and find out how bad some of the newer ones are!

The plan is to move on to a new one every two weeks. That gives plenty of time for people to watch them (the earlier ones are usually around 3hrs) and formulate/post thoughts.

With that in mind, the first watch is Wrestlemania 1! The historic 1st WrestleMania from Madison Square Garden. Hulk Hogan teams with Mr. T to battle Rowdy Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff.

Where to Watch:
Wrestlemania 1 on the WWE Network.

The WWE Network has every single Wrestlemania available to watch on demand. There's a free months trial if you want to check it out.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything about WM1 between now and May 6th :) Were you at it? Did you watch it live? What do you think about it now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wrestlemania 1 Card

• Tito Santana v The Executioner
  • King Kong Bundy (w/ Jimmy Hart) v Special Delivery Jones
  • Ricky Steamboat v Matt Borne
  • David Sammartino (w/ Bruno Sammartino) versus Brutus Beefcake (w/ Johnny Valiant)
  • The Junkyard Dogv Greg Valentine (c) (w/ Jimmy Hart) in a WWF Intercontinental Championship match
  • Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik (w/ Freddie Blassie) v The US Express (Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham) (c) (w/ Captain Lou Albano) for the WWF Tag Team Championship
  • André the Giant v Big John Studd (w/ Bobby Heenan) in a $15,000 Body Slam Match
  • Wendi Richter (w/ Cyndi Lauper) v Leilani Kai (c) for the WWF Women's Championship
  • Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (w/ Jimmy Snuka) v Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff (w/ Cowboy Bob Orton) with Muhammad Ali as Guest Referee

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
I just had a rush of nostalgia looking at that poster.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I know the main event's big draw is the celebrity appearances but good god imagine making a tag team match your WM ME now.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Mr. T really made the match seem big at the time. He was a huge celebrity in 85

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Here's Dave talking about Wrestlemania 1. https://youtu.be/aSt-vig2CAc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just watched the whole show and what struck me the most coming off watching 35 recently was how short it was: 2hrs15m! Less than a third of the time. Crazy.

Also Cindi Lauper gives a good promo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's time for another Wrestlemania view-through but I have no idea when I'd find the time. The big thing that sticks out for me, and my notes seem to confirm that I felt like this, was that Wrestlemania 1 is more watchable than several of the early sequels.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edit: This sure was the wrong thread.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 23, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

It's time for another Wrestlemania view-through but I have no idea when I'd find the time. The big thing that sticks out for me, and my notes seem to confirm that I felt like this, was that Wrestlemania 1 is more watchable than several of the early sequels.

Yeah the first Mania has a nice breezy vibe. There are some bad matches but nothing drags too much, and while the main event is an overbooked mess it's an entertaining overbooked mess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

facebook jihad posted:

I know the main event's big draw is the celebrity appearances but good god imagine making a tag team match your WM ME now.

If WWE gave a crap it wouldn't be an issue. You either have a personal issue between two pairs, like, say Rollins/Reigns and Joe/AJ that boils over, or you actually give a poo poo about the real tag teams and if one team is hot, it should be fine.

Do stuff like that right and you have viable main events for B shows that mean you don't have to run every world title match into the ground by having the same 2 guys work each other 12 times in 3 months. Maybe one month the main is the women's title. Next month the tag belts. And then the month after a world title match. But lol, nope, we'll be lucky if they ever main event a show with a women's match again. (It won't be 'historic' this time, you see)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That period where Usos/New Day were tearing down the house every single month could've easily been a Mania main event with a good build up to their Final Ultimate Showdown. You know, in an alternate universe where Vince gave a poo poo about tag teams and wanted to try drawing with them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watched through Wrestlemania 1 for the first time in years. I love how basic everything was, how uncomplicated. The commentary especially, though far from standout, was a breath of fresh air compared to the micro-managed stuff of today. My big takeaway was holy gently caress was Bruno Sammartino over like rover. The place loving exploded just to see him, and they lost their goddamn minds when he actually started brawling.

The only downside was that the promos felt so rushed, people barely got a chance to talk and Mean Gene was zipping them through and throw back to the commentators at record speed, presumably to keep them within their very specific timeframe for the show's airing. By comparison to the bloated mess of today though drat did it feel efficient. Also so much fun to hear Tito Santana and Ricky Steamboat referred to as "youngsters" :3:

Edit: Mr. Wonderful coming to and realized his team is gone and he's surrounded by the faces was, well, wonderful!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like the real charm in Mania 1 comes from a lot of the matches feeling like the end of one era and the start of the new. In particular the very first match has the masked mysterious wrestler, a mainstay of the 70's, being beaten by a fresh babyface that feels in line with the new Hulkamania era.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did find it kind of odd that Tito's primary concern even during his promo about his opponent was to talk poo poo about Greg Valentine, and he even showed up to fight him later on in the show during Valentine's own match.

But I guess Wrestlemania was also a very different thing then, rather being the culmination of a bunch of storylines it was the big showcase to get people interested in seeing more fights down the line.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

. Also so much fun to hear Tito Santana and Ricky Steamboat referred to as "youngsters" :3:
!

Hahaha I loved that :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Mr. Wonderful coming to and realized his team is gone and he's surrounded by the faces was, well, wonderful!

It's really an underrated WrestleMania Moment. The way Mr. T looks genuinely concerned for his wellbeing while Wonderful is angry, confused, then disheartened is done so well.