Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've put in probably a thousand hours into Age of Chivalry / Chivalry, I'm excited

Mind adding this discord? If there are a lot of people playing, I was toying with the idea of making a channel

https://discord.gg/epU93qn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The other thread was mine, but I closed it already since I didn't realize this thread existed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well the thing is, this game really is the new Chivalry, and if thats the case, I suspect its going to have a pretty long shelf life

its easy to jump into Chivalry even after all this time and find people, so I imagine that will be the case here too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can I get an idea of how many people would use a channel in discord for Mordhau specifically? I've only seen a couple people in the discord for Mordhau at the moment.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davos posted:

Is there any reason whatsoever to take the peasant perk besides the fun of it? Takes half your perk points and restricts you to using such equipment as "floppy hat" and "pitchfork that does 8 damage a stab"

its just a novelty thing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Songbearer posted:

But is this game good if I never played Chivalry but liked For Honour

very hard to compare this game and For Honor, for me, at least

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
One thing that is exactly the same as Chivalry, the players on duel servers are far higher tier and far more polite than the regular servers. I was getting wrecked by a few people last night on a duel server

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also im sorry to the person I disarmed last night and killed instead of letting you pick your weapon up, its a habit :ohdear:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chiv vets are just the worst lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

The more I learn about spacing and chambering, the more I prefer fighting lightly armored guys with heavy weapons. Sure they'll 2-hit you if you gently caress up (or 1-hit your lightly armored head) but they're also going to go down quickly once you start getting hits in. Heavy armor guys just hold you in place while you fight and then their team jumps you lol

I honestly cannot consistently chamber anything but stabs and I cannot figure out the timing for the life of me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

The people who do it consistently have been playing Mordhau EA for 2 years and however many years of Mount and Blade before that. At the beginning you should really on focus on parrying and stab chambers.

i can already do those fine

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there are some revolutionary war style games that have pretty fun line battles

I think it was SeanBeanShako or whatever ran some fun stuff like that

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deakul posted:

So, I want to get into this but I'm... almost afraid to hop online after trying to get through the tutorial.

Just how important is all of the stuff in the tutorial to have fun with the game?

well, to put it one way, if you are on a non duel server then essentially nobody does an underhand attack for some reason

like there are entire attacks that get straight up ignored

so if you absorbed a good bit of the tutorial you'll probably be fine

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BattleHamster posted:

You can usually survive one hit but its true you are extremely weak if people can get close. The goal is to not get hit which is why you're using the longest range melee weapon and dodge while trying to be max spear range at all times.

All I can say is that I'm a newbie and I feel like I'm doing much better than I did with the other standard builds. I started playing footman and tried to reduce it down to the very basics of what I liked in that playstyle.

glad you're having fun buddy!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

Real Good At Mordhau Man Trix, the dude who made videos throughout like all of alpha, just put a really good tutorial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVf-8qU4mIc

good vid

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
whats wrong with using drags tho

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

am i playing wrong if im being a peasant and killing people with a rusty fork because whenever i put on a lot of armor and use a "good" weapon i eat total poo poo but when i equip a "bad" weapon and basically no armor i start topping the board. also: holy gently caress the blacksmiths hammer is powerful

play what you enjoy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Not the Messiah posted:

I played on a duel server for about an hour straight and got my rear end thoroughly handed to me, but a nice person said I was really good considering im only level 5 :unsmith:

Swordfights are cool and good

duel servers are generally a higher tier of player too

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ritznit posted:

I tested the server I rented today and it works like a charm. I put it on US East even though I'm in Europe because I figured most people are coming in from US and it seemed like a decent compromise. Sadly the game seems to lack a way to add an MOTD, so I hope that's changed soon.

If folks want I'll put a password on the server for the time being and goons can go to town.

hell ya, whats the server info

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

^^^ I put that in the OP lol ^^^

From what I can tell, at the very least the Spear and the Executioner sword are 100% worth it in most cases. The Exec sword is absolutely busted right now, just cleaving through pubbies with little hesitation or remorse.

e: to clarify, it doesn't seem broken, just that it's the best at doing the thing that gets you the most kills, dragging and swinging at people who kind of barely know how to play

Exe sword seems bad in 1v1 to me, but in Frontlines its just devastatingly good.

Roobanguy got me hooked on bastard sword. Other than that, I've been playing a lot of longsword and war axe

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really see people use throwing weapons in duels, but I don't think its that big of a deal so long as you don't hit any other duelists. You are taking a pretty big risk by doing a throwing weapon in a duel and they can technically block them, so seems like fair game for the most part. You will definitely get some salt from time to time though I am certain.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It's not really using a throwing weapon, it's throwing one of the weapons that you can throw, basically the maul or most 1 handed weapons. I've just been kinda shocked at how people never seem to parry it at all. I had one guy say "I didn't realize you could throw the maul."

I just kinda assumed that people in duel servers would get salty about any sort of ranged thing.

Oh, in that case, even moreso its fine to use.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I see obviously new people joining duel servers and getting blown up by the whole server because they are just attacking

if you want to duel someone in a server, run up to them and do a weapon flourish, X and then 1 by default. If they flourish back you are good to go

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

You don't even really have to flourish, just make it obvious that you are asking for permission to initiate a fight. I see crouch spam, distance weapon swings, slapping the ground with an overhead etc. Weapon flourish is the universal call-and-response, though.

Also unless you completely trash them/get completely trashed in a couple of seconds, toss a "good fight" or a compliment out lol

yeah, its not completely necessary, just the most common way to confirm that they want to duel currently

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ritznit posted:

I made a thread for the server in PGS. I hope that works! All relevant info should be there, tell me if I forgot anything.

Generally I'd like for the server to be public sometime (or at least sometimes) to get more players easily, but the lack of an MOTD where I could put the rules and whatnot bothers me. I'm very much open to opinions on this though (ideally in the thread for the server itself, don't wanna spam here), so hit me.

Right now it's a 16 slot server since I just wanted to give things a test run, but we can absolutely get more slots if interest and money permit.

If you'd like to help me mod, I would very much welcome that! PM me your nick on Steam and I can add you.

Really nice server. ty

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that was a lot of fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks! it was fun playing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
stabbing is, imo, a bit too strong right now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cerebral posted:

It is really cool seeing the overall skill progression in this game. I saw a guy duck and jump swings on Friday and thought it was amazing, and that he must be some kind of super-alpha player, and by Sunday evening, I'm seeing it multiple times per game. Executioners and Zweihanders become a lot less scary when a simple crouch eliminates about 99% of your average user's moveset.

My personal progression for the weekend was that I went from barely being able to chamber (and completely unable to capitalize on it when I did manage to chamber), to being very competent with it by the end of the weekend. Just a few minutes of playing with a slowed down bot answered a lot of questions I had about the mechanics and gave me the confidence to try against real people. Suddenly thrust spam became something to look forward to instead of fear.

Setting up a slo-mo bot match goes like this:

1) Fight => Local Match => Deathmatch => 0 bots =>Pick Map => Start
2) Open console with ~
3) Type: toggledamage 0
4) Type: togglestamina 0
4) Type: slomo 0.7
5) Type: addbot 1

You can adjust the slow motion as you get a feel for things until you get up to full speed, but being able to see everything happening and being able to experiment against a bot for 10 minutes will help you more than watching a thousand youtube videos.

I didn't know you could slomo that's cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah, both are fine. im just used to keybinds because i played chivalry

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no playing Frontlines is a drag

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
always say good fight

even if you got dumpstered and it was a bad fight

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a time goons are often playing on the goon server? Haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like lately, but when I check its been empty.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo I forgot about Rune

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man people are whiny in this game

babemagnet and I were in a esrver where someone was made about swords

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtnsIjDGfY

adding a new video to the OP. time to get your learn on

lot of good poo poo in here, especially in the back half

good poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

he is going to appear in the blue team spawn with a crossbow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be way more inclined to play on the server if it were public

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

I've got microstutters back and a fun new issue where when anyone starts an attack animation close to me (~4 feet) and in my field of view my FPS drops.

Not particularly playable.

I just assumed this was my computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
chivalry 2 thread when