Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

poe meater posted:

How's yall framerate? I didn't run any monitoring programs but it was definitely not smooth during the tutorial mission.

I'm totally smooth in missions but lag a bit in the lobby especially when I just loaded into it. Kind of expected as much day of launch though, lots of folks in it. Turning down the max number of detailed models rendered helped a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

For the subclass quest do I just have to hope that a Rockbear randomly pops in Forest Exploration?

E: wait nvm I think I got it confused for something else, it requires a different monster entirely

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 28, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Is the story mode stuff supposed to be a bunch of disjointed cut-scenes? It feels like these were supposed to go with quests or something.

they used to go with two systems, the matter board and map events. matter board was basically a chain of objectives you'd unlock by grinding in order to then unlock the main story quests, and some of the requirements were seeing the map events that would be nodes on the various maps.

it was a LOT of grinding

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Banjo Kaczynski posted:

just swapped to techter at the start, am I utterly blind or do i just not start with spells?

you only start with a handful of arts/techs for the class you initially pick, the others you have to find/buy/turn-in for. there's a vendor in the shopping area that sells a few simple techs that can get you started.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

does race matter much now that robots can cast spells? wanna be an edgy oni lady but don't wanna back myself into a corner for class selection. i'm assuming it works pretty well with a controller considering it's on the xbone too?

can't wait to be super confused and lost

race only matters for the most important stat in the game - fashion

CASTS are locked out of some outfits but in turn non-CASTS can't use their unique robotic units, some of which are pretty cool and/or cute

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This game sure has a lot of turbo-anime cutscenes but somehow not a plot

there's a plot but it doesn't really kick off until you've done the post-exploration story quests for about...4 or 5 areas, I think

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Having only done the tutorial mission, I'm struck by choice paralysis.

How important is fast dodging and such for ranged characters vs melee characters? I started as a Hunter because I like the big sword but I feel like I'm very bad at dodging and got my poo poo kicked in during the tutorial mission. (I played on Hardcore - which I guess is normal - I didn't die but I came really loving close multiple times.)

Do ranged characters have to spend as much time dodging enemies and poo poo or can they kind of just turret up and blast away?

gunner is pretty much dodge city, their weapon action is a matrix dive that gives them a ludicrous number of invincibility frames

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if it's anything like JP there should be some form of campaign eventually for free mags and skill trees

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

first thing new players should do is run through Afin's simple tutorial client orders, it's a lot of exp to start with and tells you about most of the core, most important mechanics in the game for maintaining your loadout.

next, do practice quests for the basics and the class you want to start with.

and after that i'd suggest going through the episodes' story quests, do the prereq exploration missions as needed, and try out urgent quests when they pop up (they have a normal difficulty that will ease you in, and you can just drop in without organizing a party if you want). definitely go to the cafe and learn about harvesting and skill rings as well. do cofy's client orders too as they come up since they unlock some important stuff like difficulties and extra slots for weapons and subcommands.

you can hop on dailies and weeklies and figure out the rest later, you don't have to learn everything at once.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So this game is less of a traditional MMO and more like a looter dungeon-lite explorer game with Monster Hunter-like bosses. That's the gist that I got from my two hour playthrough.

Pretty much. PSO1 was one of the design inspirations for MH, which branched out into its own direction focused on attrition and learning monster behaviors.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

You took your clothes off and that's your innerwear/basewear for the layering system. Put your clothes back on.

Also no but it's just for while the wedding event is on. Strictly speaking there is an official lobby track but you'll hear it maybe once a year because event lobbies almost always have their own music.

the valentine's theme is etched permanently into my soul

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

anyone got tips for the Apprentice story fight, I'm getting a little better at it but it still kicks my rear end, feels really janky trying to dodge a bunch of rapidly respawning enemies and the boss at the same time in a clunky AIS suit

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

robot posting

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

afaik gunblades mostly just exist so if you start a new class and don't have a good weapon/PAs you can rely on the gunblade until you do

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

once they figure out what they want to do with it pso2's plot is 90% in service of extremely anime characters interacting and bouncing off each other, if you don't like that approach to writing it's not gonna be fun for you. some real fun solo fights in there though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Annath posted:

Do we have any idea when Phantom/Hero/Etoile might be coming to NA?

Nobody knows but a common guess is that episodes will be rolled out over time like a progression server and each episode will also bring its associated successor

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Some of them. No Kamatachi ring or Pet Auto for instance but I'm pretty sure Front S.Roll is in

It definitely is, I've been using it. Gunner feels incomplete without it (or the composite upgrade).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Don't make my mistake on Gunner and neglect slotting Grim Barrage for ~50 levels, the ability to follow boss weakpoints around after diving or when they turn is invaluable

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MelvinBison posted:

Thanks for the advice. I was told by friends bows were gunblade-levels of bad, but I was having fun with both and was leaning towards Bouncer as my next leveling class anyway.

I haven't done any of the tutorial quests for any class besides Braver but just in case, is there any penalty for switching between classes / skill trees before the lv50-75 period in the OP?

bows are great but they take a bit of effort to get used to and fully master, even the basic attack is a projectile that can miss! (if you aren't chargin')

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Chaitai posted:

Is there a wiki or something that tells you where you can find certain enemies? I can't find level 21 falspawn for the Hunter or be Hunted client quests and it's driving me insane.

something you can do in game is select the orange tab at the top of the client orders window and check each area, the quest should be listed under the area they expect you to run to complete the order. if the target is a boss but not listed as the boss of the expedition check if theres a sub->ark quest called "Subdue X" that guarantees a spawn of it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm playing a Hunter because i thought "how can you gently caress up just fighting with a big sword" and turns out hunter loving sucks because every monster just moves around spastically and all the photon art animations just lock you in place. I play a dark knight in FFXIV and I never feel like I can't hit the enemies.

Most weapons intended to be used in melee should have a chasing gap-closing PA, I believe Hunter's is Guilty Break?

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 4, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I think my problem is that I don't know how I should be using the skills. Should I just be spamming them? Is there some sort of rotation I should be doing?

PSO2 is an action game, you use your skills to suit the situation and what you want to do. Chasing an enemy? Use a gapcloser. Out of PP? Regenerate it with weapon attack. About to be hit? Dodge, block, use an action's invincibility/guard frames/mobility, etc.

You'll find ways to naturally link various attacks and PAs together as you play. For example, when I play Gunner, using Grim Barrage puts me in a perfect position to follow up with Bullet Hail and land all hits including the initial kick.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

But you can only have 4 skills on your bar at any given time really (if you have a spot for basic attack and a spot for guarding), how do you pick which four to use?

You can have multiple instances of the same weapon on your palette with different PA loadouts, and swap between them out or in combat.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

Am I doing myself a huge disservice by basically skipping the story missions? I mean, I feel like I know what’s going on. There’s a couple planets, an evil force, the evil force is bad and we need to kill it but it also corrupts things. My allies are various flavors of anime, there’s a shy mystery magic girl, robots.

it's not a great story, you don't lose too much. there are moments that are funny with how absurdly anime they are but it doesn't get cranked to 11 in being entertainingly trashy until episode 4

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

Does knowing the characters matter at all?

not really, if you don't care who they are and continue not to care who they are. if you get invested for whatever reason you can always go back and see what you missed, there's a tab in story missions for ones you've completed.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only part of the story I really liked was time-traveling to witness how Matoi's tragedy happened. i feel like that thread rolls all the decent parts of the plot into one arc and makes later Episode 3 stuff better by existing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

Speaking of the game being unclear

Sometimes enemies have red blobs or fancy things stuck to them

what does this... do, besides add another weak point?

they''re powered up and deal a bit more damage but have a massive glaring weakpoint. there's a different version of it that shows up in harder difficulties that give enemies with it special moves like projectile attacks

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fired for withholding of popeye spinach from ARKS operatives

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I honestly can't wait for them to give us more Cast parts. the game absolutely doesn't have enough as it is right now. I got all the gold mission pass stuff and everything, but it's hard to get anything fun (or female cast parts that aren't just horny on main garbage.)

i like the chestpiece of that mission token set for females that has a Sorceress Edea-rear end halo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think the usefulness of OTS mode is a bit overstated but in fights where your target ports everywhere and drops your lock like an rear end in a top hat being able to pivot and start wailing on them immediately is great

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

I'm not fond of how I can target, say, a boss's face, and then it breaks their armor and loses my lock and then I have to lock onto the exact same spot again.

edit: while I'm here what PAs should I be using as a Ranger?

dress up like a cowboy and exclusively use Rocket Rodeo

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kinda funny to think if they released through steam instead it probably would've been a much cleaner launch. steam started as a totally garbage storefront/launcher app, about where the windows store is now if not worse.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I have a very brief, dumb question that I still feel I have to ask because it feels SO terrible.

Can I really only get a Color-Change Ticket on the NA server by spending AC? All I wanna do is change the colors of my CAST's highlights to be a bit more standout, I can ONLY spend real money to get that?

i got two of them off the last mission pass (they're in the gold tier, you can buy that in the SG shop)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Couple of very different questions:

What's the word on how often respec tickets are handed out? I made a small mistake on my gunner skills - not enough to want to buy a respec, but I'd want it fixed at some point.

-Is there anything I need to know about running AQ? I've done a few with my friends, and it seems mostly straightforward, but also I saw a dude in my alliance flip about a guy in his party who wasn't doing something right so I'm wondering if there's some sort of expected way to do them.

if there's a major balance patch before ep4, possibly then, but otherwise unless the folks running NA are uniquely lovely about respecs it's practically guaranteed you'll get one when ep4 rolls around in august

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Buried alive posted:

This is my concern. Gunner looks fun, but if the guns always outclass other weapon options it might get meh pretty quick.

IME gunner doesn't really get old because most of the fun is in learning how you can get away with being as aggro as possible by abusing stylish iframes in any given fight.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah, this is what's up. A lot of the game is using a similar build as other people to much, much greater effect.

Yeah this is an action-focused game and a lot of PAs have side-effects you might not immediately think of that can lead to major breakthroughs in the huge number of ways you can combine all the damage and mobility tools you have access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

you need to find the secret cake shop in Shenmue 3 and trade the shortcake for a better game