Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Supradog posted:

Post your bike near a train station that is no longer in service.

This is the Abington Depot.

It was built immediately following the "North Abington Riot," in which railroad laborers and local townspeople fought over the town's right to allow a grade-level streetcar crossing over the track. The legal case over this issue set a precedent in state legal jurisprudence that a single Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court justice was sufficient to render binding interpretations of the law. As a direct result of the confrontation, the Depot was built and completed in June, 1894 as a peace offering. Formerly a passenger and freight railroad depot, it's now a subpar restaurant, and a place my father used to get absolutely shitfaced at in the 80s when he was supposed to be working.

Post your bike near a building that was not designed for its current purpose. My best examples of this, including the above, are a bar in Somerville that was built in an old bank (you can eat in the vault), and a hotel in Boston that was once a prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Oooh. Got a good one for this… I think?

Tomorrow!

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

This was the old bank building in Bagn, Norway. It was converted into a brewery called "Små vesen" some 15 years ago. The brewery went bust after a couple of years (water came into the cellar during the spring, their long awaited first batch to the alchohol monopoly in Norway got the wrong, blue bottles, some infections blowing up bottles and stuff), and have now restarted somewhere else. Somebody is living there now.

Next up: post your bike with a totally unreasonable amount of luggage, not in your own drive way.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

https://caledonianrailway.com/
This is the Caledonian Railway Station in Brechin, today. It was not open. It runs steam trains for fun (but apparently not this weekend), so not really what it was designed for (running steam trains for regular travel).

Just stopped in Brechin to get a coffee. Did 394 miles in total over Saturday and Sunday.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

helstein posted:

Next up: post your bike with a totally unreasonable amount of luggage, not in your own drive way.

Here's my bike, and the tank bag I always use for my flat tire kit (and masks), and my saddlebags (which I have yet to use for an overnight trip), and the gallon of milk I decided I needed the saddlebags to go get.

The grocery store is 5 miles away but that errand took me 90 minutes, somehow.

Next: this miserable summer is finally nearly over and I can't wait for fall to get going. Post your bike somewhere you're looking forward to visiting again when the seasons have changed.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

hey it's me ur little brother...

Literally just my own city. Can't wait to go on some long rides and not come home sweaty.

Next challenge: go eat somewhere that was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and take a picture of your bike in front of it.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 11, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ooh thats a good one

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

Here's my bike, and the tank bag I always use for my flat tire kit (and masks), and my saddlebags (which I have yet to use for an overnight trip), and the gallon of milk I decided I needed the saddlebags to go get.

The grocery store is 5 miles away but that errand took me 90 minutes, somehow.

Next: this miserable summer is finally nearly over and I can't wait for fall to get going. Post your bike somewhere you're looking forward to visiting again when the seasons have changed.

Meijer, woof. My first job was pushing carts at a Meijer at 14 years old. That company could pinch a penny until it screams.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

bizwank posted:

Next challenge: go eat somewhere that was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and take a picture of your bike in front of it.

I found this place on the list here:
https://www.dinersdriveinsdiveslocations.com/
They've rebuilt their building since the original picture on the site was taken.

I had the Kafta plate, and it was OK. I wouldn't turn it down, but at the same time it wasn't as flavorful as I would have liked.

Next Challenge: Post a photo of your bike next to something that is relatively famous (been on TV, subject to a well know local story, was part of a movie set at one time etc. Photo and story or "source" for fame appreciated.)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skreemer posted:

Next Challenge: Post a photo of your bike next to something that is relatively famous (been on TV, subject to a well know local story, was part of a movie set at one time etc. Photo and story or "source" for fame appreciated.)

I'm going to use this as a placeholder for a pic from another location, but I'm reposting this one from further back in the thread:

That's the Roebling suspension bridge in Cincinnati, which can be seen in the scene below from Rain Man:

A good chunk of the movie was shot in the Cincinnati area. Turns out this is a reasonably popular place to shoot movies. I'll see if I can find some of the more interesting filming locations and edit them back into this post. Might even take a road trip up to Mansfield to get some pics outside the Ohio State Reformatory, aka Shawshank.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gotta snipe this one - I think this place has been on TV a few times here and there:

Next challenge - your favorite hole-in-the-wall burger spot. No chains allowed. Must include a photo of a burg about to be eaten :burger:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Next challenge - [b]your favorite hole-in-the-wall burger spot. No chains allowed.

Shafties and belt drives only

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Phy posted:

Shafties and belt drives only

:siren: secret extra-extra bonus points detected :siren:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

This is the Turf Club, formerly Terry's Turf Club until Terry got #metoo'd for harassing his waitstaff. Known for eclectic diner decor, neon everywhere, and making ridiculously customizable burgers. If you want a whole sliced avocado, grilled poblano peppers, and a half pound of manchego cheese on your burger, Terry's can do it. Not exactly a hole in the wall, but it was on the way to the next joint, which is:

City View Tavern, home of the Big Ted, my favorite burger in the whole town. Just a simple burger, spiced well and no fancy bullshit, served in a basket with a side of Grippos BBQ chips. It's a pain in the rear end to get a picture of this place because it's on a narrow winding one-way street with a decent amount of mid-day traffic and little or no available parking. When I stopped by the kitchen was closed, so there is no photo of the Big Ted.

Instead, I ate at the hole-in-the-wall joint around the corner from my house, the Friendly Stop. I didn't take pics of the bike outside as it was dark by the time I got there. Instead, I offer you a picture of my dinner: a peppercorn burger w/ American "cheese" and grilled onions, and a side of tater tots.

Since we're coming up on October in a few days and Halloween is around the corner, take a picture of your bike at the local haunt. Like for real, haunted. Victorian family axe-murdered by their mentally ill daughter haunted.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
It isn't particularly known for being haunted, but it probably should be; between it's opening in 1935 and 2015, Deception Pass Bridge had approximately 425 suicides via jumping. In 2020 alone there were 21. I had a friend who would come up to visit on the ferry rather than driving around because the bridge had "bad energy" from all the suicides.

Post your bike next to The World's Largest/Smallest/Oldest/Etc. Thing. Classic roadside attraction style stuff.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Dog Case posted:

Post your bike next to The World's Largest/Smallest/Oldest/Etc. Thing. Classic roadside attraction style stuff.

It may not be in Guiness or anything but I'm pretty sure this is the tallest Officer Big Mac in the world.

What surprise that the kind of guy who'd build a hundred-foot tall police officer made out of hamburgers is a Donald Trump fan!

On the way there I came across these guys, who are honestly far more cool and tasteful:

Next up park your bike someplace science-related.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Damnit, if I lived in Illinois still I'd park out front of Fermi Labs.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

If this isn’t taken by Saturday morning I’m gonna go on an adventure to get it

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest
I was hoping to take a picture next to a cooler science thing, but I totally forgot to do it today.

( Also part of me was trying to think of a good other challenge )

Post your bike next to a cool Street Mural.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Magwai posted:

Post your bike next to a cool Street Mural.

Rockford has a lot of these.

Post your bike someplace nautical or aquatic.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

FBS posted:

Rockford has a lot of these.

Post your bike someplace nautical or aquatic.

How about at a shipyard

And a marina

And next to the W.T. Preston

Post your bike next to the opposite of a boat, which is a train.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 11, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Dog Case posted:

Post your bike next to the opposite of a boat, which is a train.

I somehow managed to find a train and streetcar museum. It was closed.

Post your bike near a soulless office building. One of those big glass rectangles where hopes and dreams go to die.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Strife posted:

I somehow managed to find a train and streetcar museum. It was closed.

Post your bike near a soulless office building. One of those big glass rectangles where hopes and dreams go to die.

Show me a fragment of something that sparks or inspires your dreams

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Post your bike next to an eatery you like that has a real neon sign

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'M BACK, BITCHESSS!

Granville Island market.
Zoom... Enhance

Ok maybe it's a bit of a stretch, but there are many good eateries inside (and some crap ones too).

The pizza place on the right is really good.

Your bike at a public market or farmer's market where you can buy all sorts of delicious things to eat.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 13, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

When I used to go to Vancouver to drink in bars underage, pierogis and bread bowl French onion soup got me going the next day.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

--double post--

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Finger Prince posted:

Your bike at a public market or farmer's market where you can buy all sorts of delicious things to eat.

We wrapped up our ride at the farmer's market that pops up in Goleta's Camino Real marketplace every Sunday. Fresh produce, fancy meats and mushrooms, and usually there's a middle-aged guy in a hawaiian shirt singing off-key covers of things like Brown Eyed Girl, but today we were treated to the amplified caterwauling of children; at least a couple dozen kids sitting in a circle and taking turns at the karaoke. They were having fun!

A slow pitch since this sat a week: let's see your bike looking down from the very top of something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hopefully not a flatbed.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Looking down on the mighty Columbia river from the top of Chanticleer Point, which hopefully captures the spirit of the challenge...

For the challenge, let's see your bike at your favorite music venue, preferably with a visible marquee of a kick rear end band

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fluffs McCloud posted:

For the challenge, let's see your bike at your favorite music venue, preferably with a visible marquee of a kick rear end band

The side of the State Theater in Falls Church, VA. The marquee that faces Rt 29 is cooler but there's nowhere to park in front of it on that busy road so this is the side lot. They don't get a lot of giant acts but they've had some neat bands come through. KMFDM is playing there in the fall.

Next challenge: your bike next to an artillery piece of any vintage or size.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Midjack posted:

Next challenge: your bike next to an artillery piece of any vintage or size.

I think in order for a town in Massachusetts to be incorporated it needs an antique piece of artillery placed in the town square. If there's ever a pirate uprising, we're prepared.

Next: Your bike with something extremely American.

I will leave that open to interpretation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How about a complete and total disregard for anyone or anything other than yourself?

I was on a nice country road with the goldwing today

When I came to a small river crossing and saw that someone had thrown a whole rear end patio umbrella in it

So I made my way down the riverbank and yanked it out. I was on the goldwing so I couldn’t do much else but it’s out of the river at least.

Sorry to be negative, but this country lately has me heated.

So on that note, to counteract my doomerism, “post your bike with something other than your bike that makes you happy, for any reason.”

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When I came to a small river crossing and saw that someone had thrown a whole rear end patio umbrella in it

Perfect. :911:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So on that note, to counteract my doomerism, “post your bike with something other than your bike that makes you happy, for any reason.”

This is my bike next to the union hall.

This is where I've been spending every Tuesday for months (and might still be for additional months) trying to bargain a contract with my employer on behalf of more than 7,000 hospital workers.

I'm just an art school dropout turned medical-adjacent worker, but I've been entrusted with getting us the raises and protections we deserve. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but fighting for my coworkers helps me feel like I'm at least doing something to combat how lovely the entire loving world is right now. I can't just replace the Supreme Court, but maybe I can help a Medical Assistant keep their house or keep a person who cleans the operating rooms from having to deal with being treated like poo poo by a racist manager.

Geeze. I've never done one of these. Lessee, post your bike in front of your favorite breakfast place. Mostly because a lot of things suck, so I hope you have an excuse to go have a nice breakfast.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Big shout out to everyone having the self restraint to not take a picture of themselves throwing a whole rear end patio umbrella into a river as an answer to my challenge

even though as a joke it would have been pretty funny

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How about a complete and total disregard for anyone or anything other than yourself?

I was on a nice country road with the goldwing today

So I made my way down the riverbank and yanked it out. I was on the goldwing so I couldn’t do much else but it’s out of the river at least.

Sorry to be negative, but this country lately has me heated.

Maybe it was a tornado?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Big shout out to everyone having the self restraint to not take a picture of themselves throwing a whole rear end patio umbrella into a river as an answer to my challenge

even though as a joke it would have been pretty funny

Just for you, the next ride sharing e-scooter I see is going into a tree instead of a creek.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Geekboy posted:

Geeze. I've never done one of these. Lessee, post your bike in front of your favorite breakfast place. Mostly because a lot of things suck, so I hope you have an excuse to go have a nice breakfast.

This is my favourite bakery, a lady from New Zealand bakes fresh sourdough baguettes and croissants. She also has a Vespa! Just went there today to get a loaf and two croissants. MMmmmmmmm.

Post your bike in front of something British or colonial! :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

Post your bike in front of something British or colonial! :britain:

I was going to cheese this and post a photo of my own house (the architectural style is "colonial"), but I randomly found this place while aimlessly scootin around.

It was closed, so idea what they do here, maybe it's some kind of anglophile weeaboo (teaboo?) store, but I want to check back at a time when they're open just to find out wtf.

Next: Your bike with an incredibly niche business, bonus if you have no idea how they've remained open either because of their focus or locale.

As an example, there's a store in Weymouth Landing, a heavily gentrified and upscale area of extremely prime real estate, that exclusively sells chairs. I've never even seen anyone go in there. There's a place in Mattapan that just sells wigs; iirc it's called WIGS4LESS. I don't know what these places could be except money laundering fronts for organized crime.