Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nut

can iuse blender to take a 2d pic and make it dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Manifisto posted:

yes!

but the particulars, and specifically how hard that is to achieve, depends on what you have in mind by "dancing"

If you had a cut out png of someone with their arms and legs outstretched and wanted to bend the arms/legs could you do that kind of morphing? Along the same line, could you chop the arms up and articulate too?

nut

Manifisto posted:

I did something like that for the plurp thread, I took this image

and made this low-effort monstrosity:

there are a number of things along this line you can do. on the more capable/flexible/complex side, you could create an armature (an invisible "skeleton" object with "bones" you can pose and animate) and bind that to the bitmap image. that's basically what I did with plurp, although a very simple/slapdash version of it.

there are other ways you could approach it as well, and I'm sure there are still more ways I'm not familiar with.

I am instantly interested.

nut

Manifisto posted:

I did something like that for the plurp thread, I took this image

and made this low-effort monstrosity:

there are a number of things along this line you can do. on the more capable/flexible/complex side, you could create an armature (an invisible "skeleton" object with "bones" you can pose and animate) and bind that to the bitmap image. that's basically what I did with plurp, although a very simple/slapdash version of it.

there are other ways you could approach it as well, and I'm sure there are still more ways I'm not familiar with.

do you have a suggested video for this? I am hammering my head against an opaque plane that im told has a hidden image in it

nut

Manifisto posted:

hmm. this is not something I followed a specific tutorial on. after a quick look I found a tutorial from an older version of blender that goes over something like the process I used, probably doing a more thorough/detailed job than you'd want when trying this out for the first time. maybe there's something for blender 2.8 that is suitable, I'll keep looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7vzru1CZuE

if you don't know the basics of working with armatures in blender, it would probably be helpful for you to go through some basic armature tutorials, otherwise the armature aspect of things is likely to be hard to follow. I'd call this an intermediate skill, not a beginner-level skill.

on the "seeing an opaque plane" problem, well there are lots of reasons you might not be seeing what you expect, it's hard for me to guide you especially if you're not generally familiar with the blender interface. if you used the "import images as planes" add-on and you're looking at the result in rendered or lookdev view and it's still opaque, the problem might be that you need to go to the "Material" tab in the Properties window, and under "Settings" change the Blend Mode to something like "Alpha blend." It frustrates me that the eevee render engine does not show transparency by default, I imagine they did that for performance reasons but it's going to be a stumbling block for many.

however, the above only relates to transparency. if you're just seeing an opaque plane I'm guessing you are not looking at the result in one of the modes that show images (i.e. "lookdev" and "rendered").

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/controls/shading.html

see those four circly things to the right? you need to click on either of the two circles to the right of the grouping. the two on the left of the grouping (corresponding to "wireframe" and "solid" view, going from left to right") won't display your image.

I'd consider giving more structured guidance for working with 2d images in Blender because it seems like something that byob folks would be interested in, but I'm not sure the right format for doing that kind of thing, not sure I'm up to making a full video tutorial!

Thanks for the help! I eventually figured out the transparency problem and it's exactly like you suggested settings-wise! I'll watch the vid and see if I can get a handle on it!

nut

nut

better, camerawork needs a little improving

nut

Manifisto posted:

whos ready for some mothafuckin DONUTS

i love donuts

nut

TVsVeryOwn posted:

i want more! give me more!

what flavour is that let me guess honey grayzed lol

nut

TVsVeryOwn posted:

my donut and bowl
mugs are over rated

the waitress: "would you like a spoon?"

me: "Oh no I don't add sugar or milk to my coffee"

tw: "It's not for sugar or milk"

nut

:dogbutton:

nut

TVsVeryOwn posted:

ice ice baby. i didn't want to do that many drips. i just did the two you see from this angle

gatdang i didn't notice the glaze from the thumbnail, that's such a good look, excited 2 see how u colour it

nut

https://twitter.com/Mrdodobird/status/1170828186734587904

dang this is so cool I should try to blend something soon

nut

Forums' dear SweetWillyRollbar suggested someone fashion a "Now That's What I Call Music" logo with a yob-inspired message. Because of the intensely 3D nature of these logos, it falls out of my skillset, but I think it might be prime for posters in this thread if they are looking for a fun blender project.

Here are some example, hand-selected titles, if you were unfamiliar with the oeuvre:

nut

Manifisto posted:

definitely doable! I mean, obviously. I spent a couple of minutes on a proof of concept, but getting the whole thing right would take some time and tweaking. if someone wanted to take a stab at it it would be a really good learning exercise, heck I might be tempted to do it myself . . .

now this is what I call now

nut

Manifisto posted:

slightly fancier version, could use some work probably

I dunno, is it worth putting in :effort:?

omg i love it

nut

Hahahaha this owns

nut

now this is what I call posting

nut

I demand an update on the hamburger

nut

but look how smooth it is I could eat off of that hamburger

nut

vanisher posted:

Trying to recreate something that will take forever i'm sure- here's where we are at currently!

wait this isn't the soruce pic

nut

knowing that this is what it could like, i now wanna get one of these cacti

nut

it's free computer generated estate

nut

nut

vanisher posted:

All done and animated!

nut

i just caught up with the thread and, although i am not blending, i just wanted to say it's so insanely good what everyone is doing. it blows my mind that single people can make these things!

nut

it is not blender but picoCAD dropped today for name your own price and I thought maybe some of you might think it fun to kick around in

https://johanpeitz.itch.io/picocad

nut

This was apparently animated in blender and I dunno how but it hurts how good it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-TJm7HkzkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm dumb and have a very rudimentary understanding of NFTs (they are 'digital originals', right?), why are they bad for the environment? Is it like crypto just eating energy?

this is prob the best succinct response about them i've seen from an artist I like

https://twitter.com/FelixColgrave/status/1389035070833324038?s=20

As far as I understand, the importance is financial value tied to a piece of art, which results in the art taking on a wholly superficial function. The value generated comes from crypto like computer crunching which has no inherent value outside of its tokenistic form in exchange of nfts. The division between the financial value and whatever value was in the art is most apparent in the rising cases where the NFT owner is permitted to destroy the original artwork to increase the NFT value lol

Of course crypto is pure computer waste for speculative value, but the extension of this meaningless to art is truly incredible. Truly the fraudulent hand of civilization.