Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Drue Langlois vids are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Relayer posted:

There's some kind of youtube thumbnail graphic app or program or something. I've noticed a couple channels I follow have exactly the same font\size\coloring in every thumbnail, and they're all titled in the exact same way.

Look at you underestimating the power of herd mentality.

On another the same note, I edit videos for a living. Mostly documentary and music videos, but I keep thinking I should start a worthless channel with such inane edits as those top 10's and whatever and just see how much I can rake from countless, mindless views. I don't think you can make more than beer money from it at this point, but gently caress, I like beer!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redm posted:

TOP 10 reasons
to make a
TOP 10 video
You son of a bitch.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Pursued by bees posted:

the primitive technology guy

He's really good. Very relaxing to watch.

There are a bunch of copy-cat channels too that make stuff which is less historically accurate, but still entertaining nonetheless. I love that they copy PT right down to the not wearing shirts part.

I also really recommend BonAppetite. Especially any of the stuff with Brad or Claire.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The secret is to install this userscript: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11057-block-youtube-users

Then you go on a rampage, blocking any channel that has a thumbnail or title that even slightly annoys you. The only downside of that userscript is that it doesn't block in the video endcard. But for that you add this filter to uBlock Origin:
code:
www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:if(.ytp-videowall-still-info-author:has-text(Linus Tech Tips))

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Doing the whole "Not Interested" thing actually seems to work for me. No one else, just me apparently.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

magikid posted:

Doing the whole "Not Interested" thing actually seems to work for me. No one else, just me apparently.

:same:

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Doug Demuro seriously sucks. I mean jesus Hoovie is a consumerist whore but at least he has unique and/or interesting tastes when it comes to his car choices.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

redm posted:

TOP 10 reasons
to make a
TOP 10 video

A White Guy With Facial Hair Standing In Front Of A Mountain Of Childrens Toys: "How's it going YouTube, it's your boy SlappyPappySlaps here again with another heckin dank top 10 list so charge up your vapes and dab on them haters cuz were about to GET JUICY!!!"

[oversaturated airhorn noise accompanied by clipart of a fortnite character dabbing, followed by a jump cut]

NUMBER 10:

"All cell phones have things called 'full motion cameras' now. They used to be hard to operate and require study to understand the mechanisms of, but the process has been reduced to tapping your cheetoh covered thumbs on a screen a few times. Now, any rando with a need or want to film themselves talking about nothing can just do it without a second thought. I get sexually excited when strangers give me attention-

[jump cut to stage left camera]

"-Who doesn't, am I right?"

[distorted clip of a crowd of people yelling, followed by another jumpcut]

"-so why WOULDN'T I want to make a fool of myself for the chance to get some ad revenue money? The only problem is that I'm unfunny and have no real talents, which brings us right into..."

NUMBER 9:

"They're really easy to make. All I have to do is pick a subject and google some words to get pictures.

[points to left top corner of screen at slideshow of google image results]

Don't believe me? Try it yourself, libtard!"

NUMBER 8:

"Sans Undertale"

NUMBER 7:

"Hang on, I think I'm getting my scripts mixed up here uh..."

[flips through full color gloss mcu dojinshi with notes written in sharpie offscreen before glancing into camera nervously]

"...so uh the top 7 reason to make a top 10 video is uh..be-because 7... 8 9."

NUMBER 6:

"Hail Satan, my dark lord and master. He will rain blood upon these lands for a thousand years to pull christ from his throne. As we pray in his name, our mind and bodies shall become one to consume all life on earth. Vivat nisi unum solum."

NUMBER 5:

"Lists are subjective,and nobody agrees with anything. I can let users send death threats to each other in my comments section and casually feign ignorance to it with zero consequence. I'd use the phrase 'all press is good press' if I even knew what the hell a newspaper was, but its 2019! Who still reads print? Old people? I'm not old, you're old!"

NUMBER 4:

[cue sponsored advertisement for random product completely unrelated to the current subject or content providers channel with much higher production quality than the rest of the video]

NUMBER 3:

"We're only two spots away from reason number 1 in our top 10 reasons to make a top 10 video. If you've made it this far, get yourself some gamer fuel as a reward for a job well done. I hope I didn't accidentally use any slurs while recording this time because I'm sure as hell not doing it again."

NUMBER 2:

"Before we get to number 1, I'd like to say that if you've been enjoying this video, be sure to comment, subscribe and

because if you don't, I will find your pets and loving EAT THEM while you WATCH. I'm not even kidding, I know most of you little bastards just wait for me to show up in your list of recommended videos, and THAT ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH! Hurry up and click the bell while you're at it, dipshit! gently caress you!"

NUMBER 1:

"Well, it's been a long journey but we've finally made it, gamers. And now, the number 1 reason to make a top 10 video is..."

[drumroll]

"It's the money. Formats like this are fast-to-make and easy-to-exploit. When something simple enough to be quickly replicated falls through the pipeline, the armies of the bland and uninteresting will flock in droves to get a piece of that sweet revenue pie until the well dries up and there's absolutely nothing you can do to ever stop us. Smell ya later, losers."

[rips open several million dollar monthly check while wandering off camera as screen fades to half assed outro sequence]

Dubbed Voiceover: "Do you want to make a top 10 list? What kind of top 10 list would you want to make? Leave a comment explaining your idea in vivid detail in the comments section below. If we like your idea, we might use it in a future episode to give you a boost of exposure. See you guys next time!"

fuckin a

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

magikid posted:

You can only do it when you're logged in, but YouTube still builds a profile with recommendations of you aren't.

I prefer to log out of my Google account when I'm not directly using it because I like to pretend that they can't track me too much if I do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
internet comment etiquette is hella good

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

give me my youtube dollars

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Clicking not interested works fine. Just click it on any Peterson/Rogan video that appears and it stops recommending them.
Now i get weeb trash, but thats fine by me.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Peak youtube is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
I like the music on YouTube.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You can tell which are the tryhard channels when the faces on the thumbnail pic are wide eyed in panic/fear.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My recommended

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Since we're doing this, here's mine. I try to hide/"not interested" anything that pops up in there that I can't stand (10:01 videos of someone talking about news current events that only contain 2 minutes of content for example)

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Algorithmic content and monetised garbage.
I do not click any of that nonsense, ever. If you do, then you're a fool and falling for their capitalist trap.
Youtube is loving garbo these days.

I just want to watch random home videos and stupid non promoted stuff with 300 views. Like old youtube.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Since we're doing this, here's mine. I try to hide/"not interested" anything that pops up in there that I can't stand (10:01 videos of someone talking about news current events that only contain 2 minutes of content for example)

NO ROADS!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Buller posted:

NO ROADS!
They were going to do this in Helsinki, just build one of the tiny islands in front of the city full of apartments, but with no road access. They scrapped it though.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Mooey Cow posted:

Here's what my recommendations look like RIGHT NOW (don't doxx me)

Huh, I just checked mine and I got the Netflix is doomed video recommendation too.

Here's mine:

I feel no shame about watching funny stargate moments but that Matt Santoro guy is just like what redm said. Everything that is wrong with youtube. Modern day Cracked.com list based articles in video form with AMAZING FACTS AND MYSTERIES that can be debunked in seconds with google.

Valko fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Lambert posted:

It's probably people that watch these weird right-wing channels because they are obsessed with them, but then complain about being recommended more weird right-wingers.

you watch a single political video of any kind, your recommendations get filled with ben shapiro videos. there is so much right-wing content on YouTube.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Geemer posted:

Then you go on a rampage, blocking any channel that has a thumbnail or title that even slightly annoys you. The only downside of that userscript is that it doesn't block in the video endcard. But for that you add this filter to uBlock Origin:
code:
www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still:if(.ytp-videowall-still-info-author:has-text(Linus Tech Tips))
Removing the ":if" stuff after worked for me:
code:
www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still
Holy hell, this removes the last piece of trash I wanted gone from YouTube.

I don't expect any sane person to do this, but I just put the channels I'm interested in watching in gpodder and they get checked along with my podcasts. The video then just streams through VLC, no browser or logging in or whatever.

In the browser, everything other than the video itself and its description is completely blocked using uBlock. I just saw one too many suggestions for Good Mythical Morning, I guess.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Removing the ":if" stuff after worked for me:
code:
www.youtube.com##a.ytp-suggestion-set.ytp-videowall-still
Holy hell, this removes the last piece of trash I wanted gone from YouTube.

My goal was individual channels, not the entire thing of stills. But I'm glad it helped you attain your dream of annoyance free YouTube.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The #1 channel I haven't seen mentioned yet is definitely Jelle's Marble Runs, which films the Marblelympics, basically olympic events but with marbles. It would be sort of weird if it weren't for the ridiculously good production value

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Geemer posted:

My goal was individual channels, not the entire thing of stills. But I'm glad it helped you attain your dream of annoyance free YouTube.
Gotcha. I typically just want to watch one video, and have no need to see suggestions at all. Plus, I never log into YouTube, so none of the suggestions have anything to do with me anyhow. In any case, these suggestions aren't based on what I like, but what you will click on, so why subject myself to more behavior modification? But yes, thanks for that snippet.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Watch OneyPlays

The older ones with Ding Dong and Julian

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
NIN - Every YouTube Video Is Exactly The Same

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
what have my yt recs become

my sweetest vids

everyone i watch

is targeted towards little kids

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Lambert posted:

You should enable dark mode on YouTube.

Speaking of dark mode, someone in GBS once recommended a darkmode plugin for chrome. Does anybody remember what they were talking about?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIt3560SuzU

Dorothy Lynch
Jul 3, 2018
Did anyone else use to get that one 'Stalin Humanzee experiment' video with the thumbnail of some like really caucasian looking ape?

Never watched it, but I never see it pop up in recommended anymore.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
*Instructional video marketed for adults playing loud banjo kids music starting at 0.001 seconds*
*Autoplay turned itself back on*
*Back button doesn't work this time*
*Clicks 'channel'... rapidly tries to beat the autoplaying video on the channel screen by clicking the 'videos' tab*
*Autoplaying video has a different track of the same generic electropop garageband template music*

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
dont forget to like share and subscribe or the boogeyman will get you

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
At least Elsagate is kind of over. My niece used to watch that poo poo and it was baffling.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Valko posted:

Huh, I just checked mine and I got the Netflix is doomed video recommendation too.

Here's mine:

And now I'm getting the "WTF happened to Waterworld" :tinfoil:

The thing is, I rarely click on any of these recommendations, and yet all of us here in GBS are getting more or less the same videos.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I mean judging by the comments on some recommended videos, other groups of users are getting certain videos in waves. “Why did YouTube suggest I watch an electric flyswatter in slow motion??” a comment might read, with dozens of thumbs-ups and replies.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I Keep getting firearms training, explosive chemistry and the current locations around the world of various people.

I just wanted some feline antics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mooey Cow posted:

And now I'm getting the "WTF happened to Waterworld" :tinfoil:

The thing is, I rarely click on any of these recommendations, and yet all of us here in GBS are getting more or less the same videos.

Probably either :worship: THE ALGORITHM :worship: doing wacky poo poo or the channel slipped youtube a couple thousand dollars to intentionally spread it around for a few days and make their money back off views