Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What, you want her to be a nerd?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

XboxPants posted:

Seriously, Danny is a loving douche. Sure, Johnny is too, racist, general dirtbag. But Daniel just has so little sympathy for anyone else's point of view. It's kind of funny. He's so shocked when things don't go his way, every time. As if he just got pushed off a cliff.
Danny's problem is that he assumes his actions are right by default. To him, he's trying to protect the valley from an evil organization that hurt people. He doesn't realize the optics, that to everyone else he's just picking on Some Guy trying to run a karate dojo in a strip mall, because no one remembers Cobra Kai the way he does (except Johnny).

And remember, all the Karate Kid movies are canon (except the remake), so Danny not only had to deal with young Johnny the bully, but loving Terry Silvers the IRL Actual 90s movie villain.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 7, 2020

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Spacebump posted:

One of the most confusing bits of the whole show for me is when Sam has a party while her parents are gone. The LaRussos come home to find their daughter having a pool party with beer and weed at their house. Daniel breaks up the party. Mrs. LaRusso gets mad at Daniel for embarrassing their daughter in front of the kids.

danielsan is the hyper-patronizing 80's dad that overreacts to any subversion of his authority by planting tons of unresolved trauma in his children. amanda is the counterbalancing cool 10's mom who lets the kids drink in her house because "i'd rather they do it with me in the house than unsupervised!!!" *rails a shot with a 14yo*

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Spacebump posted:

One of the most confusing bits of the whole show for me is when Sam has a party while her parents are gone. The LaRussos come home to find their daughter having a pool party with beer and weed at their house. Daniel breaks up the party. Mrs. LaRusso gets mad at Daniel for embarrassing their daughter in front of the kids.

That's how parenting works. She's frustrated because he weakened the relationship (trust, respect, intimacy, etc) between Sam and her parents for no measurable gain. Yes, it makes sense that he'd want to break up the party, they don't want the kids smoking and drinking. What does he gain additionally out of publicly degrading her? Ego stroking?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Seriously, get a load of this absolute loving weirdo that kept harassing an 18 year old boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SR1WClIKTU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

God Hole posted:

danielsan is the hyper-patronizing 80's dad that overreacts to any subversion of his authority by planting tons of unresolved trauma in his children. amanda is the counterbalancing cool 10's mom who lets the kids drink in her house because "i'd rather they do it with me in the house than unsupervised!!!" *rails a shot with a 14yo*

It does kind of explain why their other kid is a little turd.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

XboxPants posted:

That's how parenting works. She's frustrated because he weakened the relationship (trust, respect, intimacy, etc) between Sam and her parents for no measurable gain. Yes, it makes sense that he'd want to break up the party, they don't want the kids smoking and drinking. What does he gain additionally out of publicly degrading her? Ego stroking?

I don't see how any of the below dialogue is publicly degrading Sam.

Daniel "All right, everybody get out of here right now"
Sam " So sorry Dad, I had no idea you'd be home so early"
Daniel "It doesn't make a difference what time I get home, Sam. You think we want strangers in the backyard making a mess?"
Sam "They're not strangers, they're friends"
Daniel "Yeah, some friends. Is he wearing my bathing suit? Wait are all of you guys wearing my bathing suits? All right, listen, party's over let's go. Take the suits off and leave. Not out here genius, in the pool house"
Amanda "Hey, can I talk to you inside?"

She's a child that waited for her parents to leave the house so she could throw a party that had booze and weed. The way Daniel handled this was nicer than anything I ever seen happen in similar situations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, I think the worst thing Daniel did as a dad was take away his daughter's phone and computer during a time when she needed them, which lead to a lot of Season 1's tensions. If anything, he seems like an overly permissive dad. Look at how their son acts!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

SardonicTyrant posted:

Seriously, get a load of this absolute loving weirdo that kept harassing an 18 year old boy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SR1WClIKTU

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013

The Bee posted:

Yeah, I think the worst thing Daniel did as a dad was take away his daughter's phone and computer during a time when she needed them, which lead to a lot of Season 1's tensions. If anything, he seems like an overly permissive dad. Look at how their son acts!

If I recall correctly, that wasn't Daniel but Amanda and that happened after she learned that Sam had been involved in a hit and run. However, Daniel did go out of his way to watch over her during the Halloween dance after reading her messages.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
it's wild to me that Hawk wears a tracksuit to the first day of school when he's as insecure as he is.

i mean, when your capacity for violence is that high I guess it doesn't matter but still

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I thought it was clever that the show played up the negative aspects of Daniel's character from the movies and the show. Yeah he was definitely bullied in the original movie, but there are aspects of his character then and in Cobra Kai that pushed things along. These are things I've only seen as an adult looking back, not during my first viewings as a kid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For real, he antagonized the CK guys multiple times in KK, i wont say he was asking for it but hosing Johnny down at the dance was not a smart move.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Hawk strikes me as the kind of bullying victim that really latches onto the things that hurt him and see them as powerful. Since he never had the confidence or agency to be more than just a quiet kid with a hairlip he doesn't have any context as to what makes people powerful or respected. So everything about him is superficial cargo cult stuff reinterpreted as toughness--the hairdo, the tattoo, embracing the cobra Kai style, turning on Dimitri (and even other Cobra Kai students that aren't 'loyal' enough). It is interesting to see how quickly he torpedoed his relationship with Moon. He was so focused on being a badass he forgot his humanity, and it seemed to make him the perfect blank slate for Kreese's motivations.

While we're at it in the Karate kid universe maybe we can get Hillary Swank as some headmistress for a girls boarding school that runs a secret underground all girls karate dojo or something.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Panfilo posted:

Hawk strikes me as the kind of bullying victim that really latches onto the things that hurt him and see them as powerful. Since he never had the confidence or agency to be more than just a quiet kid with a hairlip he doesn't have any context as to what makes people powerful or respected. So everything about him is superficial cargo cult stuff reinterpreted as toughness--the hairdo, the tattoo, embracing the cobra Kai style, turning on Dimitri (and even other Cobra Kai students that aren't 'loyal' enough). It is interesting to see how quickly he torpedoed his relationship with Moon. He was so focused on being a badass he forgot his humanity, and it seemed to make him the perfect blank slate for Kreese's motivations.

While we're at it in the Karate kid universe maybe we can get Hillary Swank as some headmistress for a girls boarding school that runs a secret underground all girls karate dojo or something.

Oh god, I watched that movie for the first time the other day. It was astonishingly bad. The writing, the plot, the direction, the acting, the camera work, the fight choreography. I assume the entire script was written in a twelve hour coke binge and then never edited. I'm still not certain why the random sociopath bad guy character was overruling the principal, or why this high school appears to be full of thirty year olds. I'm also not certain why anyone thought that some dude with nebulous connections to the army was going to be able to provide a good recommendation letter for the air force academy.

Regarding Hawk, I'm hoping his arc brings him to the understanding that he can be the badass he wants to be and still be the guy he was before. Nobody seems to have pointed out to him yet that the real badass thing to do in his position is just own all the dumb nerdy poo poo he secretly enjoys, so I'm assuming that'll come up at some point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 3 opens with Robby being sentenced to 10 years for attempted murder.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

XboxPants posted:

I just started season 2 but I still doubt it, Daniel is literally Sato.

Wait...Sato taught Karate to the US Military?

Oh, it's gonna turn out he taught Kreese isn't it?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 3 opens with Robby being sentenced to 10 years for attempted murder.
Robby will be sitting in a jail cell next to Stingray, "I wasn't kicking children, I was applying for a job as school security"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Kreese developed it himself in Vietnam. Or at least I think that's the story.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Kreese developed it himself in Vietnam. Or at least I think that's the story.

Based on what Terry Silver in 3 said Cobra Kai's style came Korea. I think I've read the creators mention somewhere that season 3 would touch on both styles origins. If so, maybe they are dropping what Terry said (or Terry is a liar because he was lying about Kreese being dead in that conversation.) I only read about season 3 shooting in Okinawa did not see anything about them shooting in Korea

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

XboxPants posted:

I just started season 2 but I still doubt it, Daniel is literally Sato.

Sato Realty, Sato Construction, Sato Bank, Sato Something-That's-Cut-Off-At-The-Top-Of-The-Picture. The guy is diversified and vertically integrated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They used to call me "Proven in Come" in college.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kreese was in the Army, Sato is based in Okinawa. AFAIK Okinawa has more Marines, Navy, and Air Force. Kreese supposedly learned in Korea, which tracks as the Army has a big presence there, especially in the 60s.

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

You are not the only lost soul in this world.
Cobra Kai originating in Korea puts a really interesting spin on the whole CK vs Miyagi-do dynamic, considering Japan's brutal occupation of Korea back in the day. Was Cobra Kai originally a form of resistance?

EDIT: Actually never mind, it looks like the CK form is a hodgepodge of different styles and not necessarily Korean. I suspect the historical nuances of that particular time period are beyond the scope of this show. Still interesting to think about!

Looks to the Moon fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 8, 2020

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
y'all should have seen Ip Man 4 by now. Kreese learned karate in San Francisco.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

That I can believe. People who were picked on usually immediately start picking on others the minute they get the opportunity.
While there is a vitally important element of truth to this I'll speak of momentarily, this is a lie often perpetuated by bullies to justify their bullying. The "you'd do it in my position" stuff is demonstrably false.

What is true is that people who are abused or bullied have a giant blind spot for hurting people in their lives, because in the case of bullying, they view themselves as the victim of bullying, therefore anything they're doing isn't bullying, because they were bullied. Not bullies. Gabe from Penny Arcade had to have a come to Jesus about this at one point where people within the company had to point out that he was bullying people.

In the case of abused people, often in the name of what feels like setting healthy boundaries, keeping people away from their trauma triggers, and altogether protecting themselves from abuse, will do abusive things.

Say a partner or a parent abused you in the past, so every time your partner gets upset by a thing you've done and doesn't moderate their tone exactly perfeclty, it triggers your trauma and you feel like you're about to be abused. So you scream, or you just shut down, or you become emotionally unavailable. A perfectly understandable reaction to your own trauma, but now you're abusing somebody else.

And that's where Daniel is, I think, rendered all the more intense because Johnny was his bully. Everything he does to Johnny is "justified" by the fact that he was a childhood bully. Nevermind the fact that Johnny wanted nothing to do with him and oh, he also lost the original tournament when Daniel illegally kicked him in the loving head.

The series swings for the fences in trying to ask "what if a movie with 1980s morality actually happened, and how would it change the people who were involved in it," and it misses about as often as it hits, but it's loving swinging.

That is so much more interesting than "let's do the same story again because we liked it the first time."

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am baffled that Sam somehow manages to be the center of a love triangle considering she has the personality of a dead fish and doesn't have any redeeming qualities. It feels like her character's only function is to be dangled in front of the male protagonists like some sort of prize to be won. Other than that, I love the show.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Bioshuffle posted:

I am baffled that Sam somehow manages to be the center of a love triangle considering she has the personality of a dead fish and doesn't have any redeeming qualities. It feels like her character's only function is to be dangled in front of the male protagonists like some sort of prize to be won. Other than that, I love the show.

Yeah, there's not much to her. It's unfortunate, because you've got precursor 'nice' girls like Lindsay Weir from Freaks and Geeks that manage to have that rough character sketch and still be interesting.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Velius posted:

Yeah, there's not much to her. It's unfortunate, because you've got precursor 'nice' girls like Lindsay Weir from Freaks and Geeks that manage to have that rough character sketch and still be interesting.
It's especially puzzling when you look at characters like Moonie, and Aisha, and Tori. Why would you take time to develop all these side characters and completely drop the ball when it comes to one of the pivotal characters?

I thought she would have her big Miyagido moment when she's challenged at the party, and was disappointed when she just jumps up on the stool like a total tool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The wait for season 3 is killing me. From rumors I've read and the one casting spoiler I've seen the focus is going to be more on the adult characters. Aisha's actor wasn't even asked to come back for the season. I'm really confused why they wouldn't bring back Aisha. The show's creators have dropped a few hints on twitter that Terry Silver is going to show up.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 10, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope the first part of that rumor isn't true. I like that character.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Aisha and Hawk are the two characters I most definitely want to see more of out of all the "kids".

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I want the two short kids from Cobra Kai and Miyagi-do to reconcile through a shared love of booty magazines.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Just finished both seasons in about a week. I saw Karate Kid when it first came out and not since then, and I don't think I saw the sequels. I probably would not have watched the show if it weren't for some raves in the What Are You Binging thread, but I'm glad I did. Great show.

I was a little surprised at how dark I found S2 to be for a silly teenage nostalgia fest. I felt like with some of the dialog, the flashbacks, the characters like Dimitri and Stingray who were seemed so preposterous, the way we'd get the 'time for two sentences of wisdom from one of the female characters', the show seemed really self aware at times. So Daniel and Johnny having to navigate the 21st century while being stuck in the 80's, I couldn't help but feel like there was a strong element of social commentary. S2 in particular just seemed really pessimistic about our current circumstances. Like the young generation had a really hard time manifesting positive change in Daniel's "liberal" dojo, and even for the ones who eventually were willing to do the work, they still ended up being brawlers with questionable honor. And Cobra Kai's takeover by Creese seemed to suggest there's no "right wing" option that keeps the positive aspects of loyalty and confidence without the cruelty. It's all destructive tribalism without an exit. Maybe we had a naive view of the heroes and villains in the 80's, but there's a reason we're nostalgic for the past– there's actually a chance for a happy ending.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Am I the only one who thought the scene at the end of S1 where all of a sudden she breaks out all these slick karate moves was completely out of place?

She spends the entire season being a bratty teen and we're supposed to believe she's kept up with martial arts training the entire time?

I get the whole train Robbie from scratch to compete in a few weeks, TV magic training etc. but Sam spent literally 0 time showing the slightest interest in anything Miyagi-Do and then she's suddenly a trained fighter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pentyne posted:

Am I the only one who thought the scene at the end of S1 where all of a sudden she breaks out all these slick karate moves was completely out of place?

She spends the entire season being a bratty teen and we're supposed to believe she's kept up with martial arts training the entire time?

I get the whole train Robbie from scratch to compete in a few weeks, TV magic training etc. but Sam spent literally 0 time showing the slightest interest in anything Miyagi-Do and then she's suddenly a trained fighter.

The impression I got was that she had been trained by Daniel when she was younger and she still seems to be pretty active and in good shape, she just became a teenager and started blowing off her dad and hanging with her friends.

Basically everyone else on the show goes from zero training to doing black belt poo poo in weeks/months so i can easily buy her potentially having years of prior training and being able to pull it out just as easily.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I thought TKD for a while and I buy a kid that started at five or six and quit at 12 or 13 keeping up the skills for a while.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BetterLekNextTime posted:

And Cobra Kai's takeover by Creese seemed to suggest there's no "right wing" option that keeps the positive aspects of loyalty and confidence without the cruelty. It's all destructive tribalism without an exit. Maybe we had a naive view of the heroes and villains in the 80's, but there's a reason we're nostalgic for the past– there's actually a chance for a happy ending.

Well I think that "right wing" option is Johnny's Cobra Kai. Where you teach people to stand up for yourself and be loyal and have confidence. Johnny could be a bit regressive and coarse in his language, his teaching methods were sometimes...dubious and unsafe. But he was 90% there with being a good guy who wanted to do the right thing and give a lot of diverse, downtrodden kids a chance. He really took the only good stuff from Creese's Cobra Kai and made it better. And that was wholly from himself, from the kind of person he is. There was always a core of that. Zabka talked about that in an interview. He said what made him "get" the character of Johnny and want to take the role of an rear end in a top hat bully was the line at the end where he congratulates Daniel. That was the defining moment that showed Johnny was a good person deep down, despite the veneer Kreese and his peers laid on him.

But as was said earlier, Johnny is missing the maturity of Daniel's Myagi-do. The stuff about balance, and being nice and fair play. And of course Daniel is all arrogance and privilege who lacks the perspective of working class Johnny. As was said above, the obvious endgame is for the two dojos to merge. Right now it's like in Star Trek where Kirk was split into an aggro rear end in a top hat and a meek mealy goodie. Neither on their own was effective. It was the merging of the two that works. A Cobra Myagi where you can have fun and do a bit of posturing and have confidence, but temper it with balance and good sportsmanship and honor would be fantastic.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Karate Kid was fundamentally about class and Daniel was definitely not the privileged one.

Otherwise, I agree with every word you said and it was some brilliant stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

Well I think that "right wing" option is Johnny's Cobra Kai. Where you teach people to stand up for yourself and be loyal and have confidence. Johnny could be a bit regressive and coarse in his language, his teaching methods were sometimes...dubious and unsafe. But he was 90% there with being a good guy who wanted to do the right thing and give a lot of diverse, downtrodden kids a chance. He really took the only good stuff from Creese's Cobra Kai and made it better. And that was wholly from himself, from the kind of person he is. There was always a core of that. Zabka talked about that in an interview. He said what made him "get" the character of Johnny and want to take the role of an rear end in a top hat bully was the line at the end where he congratulates Daniel. That was the defining moment that showed Johnny was a good person deep down, despite the veneer Kreese and his peers laid on him.

But as was said earlier, Johnny is missing the maturity of Daniel's Myagi-do. The stuff about balance, and being nice and fair play. And of course Daniel is all arrogance and privilege who lacks the perspective of working class Johnny. As was said above, the obvious endgame is for the two dojos to merge. Right now it's like in Star Trek where Kirk was split into an aggro rear end in a top hat and a meek mealy goodie. Neither on their own was effective. It was the merging of the two that works. A Cobra Myagi where you can have fun and do a bit of posturing and have confidence, but temper it with balance and good sportsmanship and honor would be fantastic.

This all makes sense. I was just pointing out that it's not Johnny's dojo anymore and his students rejected him for the power hungry zealot who saw an enemy around every corner. I don't doubt Creese will eventually be shown the door (again) and somehow Daniel and Johnny will find common cause in something– I was just mentioning how far off that seems given everything we saw in S2.