Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

What's Hillary Swank up to these days?

Hopefully preparing her dojo for the next all valley tournament. We need a mega battle next season with her dojo and Jackie Chan/Jaden Smith's dojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SolarFire2 posted:

Jackie runs a Kung Fu ... Dojo? I don't know what the equivalent term is. Either way, INVALID for the Karate Tournament.

Allowing them to compete will be the best change since the blue mats.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Moriatti posted:

It's been a while since I've seen 3 but wasnt that while he was trying to seduce Daniel into Kobra Kai?

Also the photograph doesn't really mean anything, it's just another second place trophy.

I'm not saying it's text or necessary, only that I assume he's lying.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't lying about his initial time in the military, just any that happened after that. I'm basing this off of when he finally admits he lied, he explains why they wouldn't let him re-enlist.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

They should throw everyone for a loop and bring Chozen in to team with Johnny. Make him a Japanese car magnate just to troll Daniel a little more. poo poo, to add more drama, have it turn out that Daniel's actually active Facebook friends with Kumiko.

This is a fantastic idea.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Season 3 could own.
https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-season-3-okinawa-miyagi-do/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I went back and rewatched the Next Karate Kid for the first time in a long time. Don't spend time watching it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If anyone was wondering, it looks like a lot of the work is done on season 3 and it's still going to come out during the pandemic.
(no date announced yet.)
https://twitter.com/ralphmacchio/status/1240745975217561600

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

waah posted:

I'm more impressed that this thread didn't somehow fall into the archives.

Cobra Kai never dies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Season 2 just dropped in price on itunes. I hope this is a sign that we are going to get a season 3 release date soon. Does anyone remember when they announced season 2 would be released? I can't imagine they'd just release it but who knows.

edit:
https://twitter.com/hostel_gamer81/status/1246533209917095942
https://twitter.com/McSchlossberg/status/1246537251191812097
https://twitter.com/McSchlossberg/status/1246521817990221824
https://twitter.com/McSchlossberg/status/1246537904320462849
https://twitter.com/McSchlossberg/status/1246537569963106304
https://twitter.com/McSchlossberg/status/1246536443607912448
https://twitter.com/McSchlossberg/status/1246531219812052997
sounds like it is coming out this month or next month.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 8, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

PeterCat posted:

Any idea when this is coming out?

Judging by the creators' recent tweets, it seems like there has been a delay. They haven't said why, it's likely because post production work is much slower with people needing to work from home. Hopefully we still get it sooner than later, there is 0 info for the release of the season or season trailer atm.

I got excited when I saw multiple posts in this thread, I thought we might have good news.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The newest update I could find.
https://twitter.com/saviorloki/status/1261735009120956418
There is not a launch date atm. Ralph Macchio says it's all done, including filming and post. He also says they are going to get news about the launch "very soon." Then he says it's coming "really soon."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://www.cbr.com/cobra-kai-new-streaming-platform-season-3/
"Evidently, the reason for these negotiations is that while YouTube originally seemed committed to streaming Cobra Kai Season 3 in its entirety, the platform informed Sony TV that it would not be renewing the show for a fourth season. This prompted Sony to ask permission to take the series elsewhere, to which YouTube agreed."

We aren't getting the new season until their deal is in place with a new streaming site.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cobra Kai is coming to netflix.
https://deadline.com/2020/06/cobra-kai-moves-netflix-youtube-season-3-1202965551/
No dates announced beyond coming soon. Here is the most important info from the article. Sounds like we are going to be waiting a bit longer for S3 but at least it is going to find a much bigger audience.

"Seasons 1 and 2 of the Karate Kid sequel series, starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, will premiere on Netflix this year, with an all-new third season to follow.”

"While the deal with Netflix is for Cobra Kai only, I hear there have been conversations between Netflix and Sony TV about potentially expanding the franchise in the future with other Karate Kid series"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What happens first? Cobra Kai gets canceled or a fight in Cobra Kai ends with someone getting their nose honked?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

We’ve got a date for s1 and 2 on Netflix.
https://twitter.com/seewhatsnext/status/1285605457546096645?s=21
There was a leak about a Cobra Kai game coming out in late October. I imagine this means either late September or October is when S3 drops on Netflix.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

So disappointed to see 2021. I assume it got pushed until then because netflix has no other finished content for 2021.

TheCenturion posted:

There's a few seconds of season 3 footage in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ye8NYZ0ys
I think it's Chozen!

I agree. The only other guess I'd have would be a secret son of Miyagi. I hope it isn't this.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I knew this existed but never wanted to shell out for YouTube Premium.

God drat this show is great and I love it. I want season 3 tomorrow.

Am I the only one actually kinda surprised by the acting chops of Zabka in particular?

Welcome to the dojo my friend. The wait for season 3 may be long but remember Cobra Kai never dies.

I also was surprised by Zabka's acting when I first started watching. I'm glad he did a good job.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zedd posted:

I started this show 3 days ago and now I am halfway through S2, this show owns.

As far as S3 goes, if that is the final season; I assume both Dojo's unite in the end because they finally act like adults about things.

I highly doubt season 3 will be the last. Part of why they left YouTube was to find somewhere that was going to let them continue past S3.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

XboxPants posted:

You sold me in an instant. I definitely did not expect this pitch.

I realize this isn't the Karate Kid MOVIE thread, so I hope this is ok:
I somehow made it my entire life without watching any Karate Kid movies and just watched the first one, great movie; really cool to see an actual Japanese person playing a Japanese character. Holy crap at him casually giving away those bonsai's to people he just met, it fits his character, but god drat! If they had a cash value that would be obscene. Love it.

What I actually wanted to ask though, any input on whether Karate Kid 2 is worth watching before Cobra Kai?

2 is worth watching but not required. 3 is a tougher sell but the villain Terry Silver's scenes are worth watching. It looks like season 3 will be filled with Karate Kid Part II callbacks, just make sure to watch it before that season gets released. The first Karate Kid is the only one I'd consider a classic. The second film is a decent follow up. I will say the third film is much better than the Next Karate Kid. I can't recommend watching that one, it's just too bad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

waah posted:

Man the third movie is hilarious. If you watch it with the same attitude as if you would watch Sidekicks (another fun 90s coming if age karate movie) then it's incredible.

The second movie is good because of the one liners. And also the villain. And also the scenery even though it's not Okinawa at all, which is a shame because Okinawa is beautiful on its own. Hope to see some familiar spots in season 3

When the first season initially came out on youtube, one of my classmates loved it but had never seen the movies. We watched all of them. This led to us overusing two quotes from 3 "you know what I like" and "wake up and smell the coffee Mr. LaRusso." The peak of this happened while we were doing an abroad program in Scotland. A Scottish person overhead us using the quotes at a pub one day, he turned around, looked at us, attempted his best American accent, and said "you know what I like." We died laughing, we never got to tell him that was a quote from Karate Kid Part 3.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Nah, it's gotta be at least 4 or 5 seasons imo. There's too much that needs to be resolved and a lot of them could essentially mirror various plot lines from both the 2nd and 3rd movie.

When they signed with Netflix, articles mentioned they may do spinoffs at some point in the future.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Weasling Weasel posted:

Netflix taking the show on allowed me to re-watch the season again for the first time since it originally aired, and I desperately want a resolution. Come on Netflix, Season 3 was filmed ages ago, give it to me :(

The wait for season 3 is even worse if you were expecting it to drop in March. Really wish Netflix didn't save it for 2021.

Guy A. Person posted:

I get securing the deal and then releasing the first 2 seasons to build hype but yeah I don't get waiting until 2021 when you have the perfect opportunity to release it while everyone is hungry for new content (I guess there's a strong possibility that they really just don't have much left in the pipeline and this is part of a process to slow roll it tho)

I imagine Netflix has no filmed content for next year and wants to make sure they have something to release in 2021. It may be a while until filming resumes on any of their original content.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

One of the most confusing bits of the whole show for me is when Sam has a party while her parents are gone. The LaRussos come home to find their daughter having a pool party with beer and weed at their house. Daniel breaks up the party. Mrs. LaRusso gets mad at Daniel for embarrassing their daughter in front of the kids.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

XboxPants posted:

That's how parenting works. She's frustrated because he weakened the relationship (trust, respect, intimacy, etc) between Sam and her parents for no measurable gain. Yes, it makes sense that he'd want to break up the party, they don't want the kids smoking and drinking. What does he gain additionally out of publicly degrading her? Ego stroking?

I don't see how any of the below dialogue is publicly degrading Sam.

Daniel "All right, everybody get out of here right now"
Sam " So sorry Dad, I had no idea you'd be home so early"
Daniel "It doesn't make a difference what time I get home, Sam. You think we want strangers in the backyard making a mess?"
Sam "They're not strangers, they're friends"
Daniel "Yeah, some friends. Is he wearing my bathing suit? Wait are all of you guys wearing my bathing suits? All right, listen, party's over let's go. Take the suits off and leave. Not out here genius, in the pool house"
Amanda "Hey, can I talk to you inside?"

She's a child that waited for her parents to leave the house so she could throw a party that had booze and weed. The way Daniel handled this was nicer than anything I ever seen happen in similar situations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait...Sato taught Karate to the US Military?

Oh, it's gonna turn out he taught Kreese isn't it?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think Kreese developed it himself in Vietnam. Or at least I think that's the story.

Based on what Terry Silver in 3 said Cobra Kai's style came Korea. I think I've read the creators mention somewhere that season 3 would touch on both styles origins. If so, maybe they are dropping what Terry said (or Terry is a liar because he was lying about Kreese being dead in that conversation.) I only read about season 3 shooting in Okinawa did not see anything about them shooting in Korea

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The wait for season 3 is killing me. From rumors I've read and the one casting spoiler I've seen the focus is going to be more on the adult characters. Aisha's actor wasn't even asked to come back for the season. I'm really confused why they wouldn't bring back Aisha. The show's creators have dropped a few hints on twitter that Terry Silver is going to show up.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 10, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

We finally have a date for season 3. January 8th.
https://twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1312074870612660224?s=21

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

It's staggering how many people are just finding out about it simply because it's no longer hidden away on Youtube.

I tried for a little over two years to get people to watch this. The conversation usually went like this.

Me "hey, if you're looking for something to watch you should watch Cobra Kai. It's a continuation of Karate Kid and is good."
Friend "cool, where do I watch it?"
Me "It's on YouTube's pay service, but you can get a free trial and cancel after watching all the episodes"
Friend "Wait, pay for youtube? Why would anyone do that. I'm just going to watch something else"

Now that it's on netflix it goes like this.

Me "hey, you should watch that Cobra Kai show I told you about. It's on Netflix now"
Friend "Cool, I'll give it a shot"
a few hours later
Friend "Thanks for the recommendation, this show is great"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Who's the second best fighter in the Miyagi CU? Clearly Miyagi is the best and we never saw him in his prime.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

At this point in time, is Elizabeth Shue really higher profile than the Cobra Kai cast?

I was also thinking this. At this point, Cobra Kai is probably bigger than anything she's been in for a while. (The Boys is close but I assume Netflix has more viewers than Cobra Kai.) Then again, I have no idea what kind of budget this show has and what they can offer her is probably the biggest factor.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/jonhurwitz/status/1319777905866465280
Can't wait until s3 is released and they can start filming S4.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Utgardaloki posted:

What scene was that? The only reference to KK3 that I remember was Daniel fessing up to joining Cobra Kai temporarily.

The meeting to get Cobra Kai allowed into the tournament in season 1.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Trailer talk about Cobras

It looks like Hawk, an extra from previous seasons, and Chris/Assface are the only Cobras doing anything as a group. Every Tory scene seemed to not have Cobras in it and Miguel is still hospitalized. The trailer hints at Kyler joining the Cobras. Their membership looks like it might be undergoing so big changes this season.

Non spoiler chat:
Did anyone play the Cobra Kai game? If so, how is it?

TheCenturion posted:

That's what I thought, but the hair was so different. Threw me off. Fairly sure that was, or at least was supposed to be, Kumiko and Chozen though.

link below contains a spoiler but confirms your thoughts.

https://ew.com/tv/cobra-kai-tamlyn-tomita-season-3/

At this point it seems like every important living movie character is confirmed to make an appearance except Ali and the Karate Kid 3 characters. Though the creators were hinting pretty hard at Silver showing up in season 3 a few months ago on twitter.

lol at this bit from the spoilered link

"Had you watched the show before?
Oh yes, are you kidding me? At the time [that it debuted], though, I saw [that it was on] YouTube Red, and I never followed up on it — I didn't want to pay for it because I'm such a cheapskate."

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 9, 2020

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

IO9 has a fairly spoiler free review of the new season. If you've avoid reading anything about season 3, maybe skip reading it. Because It mentions a few people that weren't in previous seasons and some very general stuff about the plot. If you've read anything about season 3 or seen the trailers, there is probably no much you don't know in the review.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/cobra-kai-season-3-is-focused-emotional-and-nostalgic-1845906678
Sounds like this is going to be another fun season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm so hyped for this season. I appreciate they kept at least some of the extras/background students from the dojos (they were shown in the previews.) I hope they can get them back for season 4 after over a year between filming seasons.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

They were so inconsistent with students in the dojo scenes this season. There were more than a few extras that were in one dojo scene then rotated out. At least one background student that’s been around since s1 got his first line so that was cool.

The Cobra Kai dojo had so few characters that had lines. It felt kind of empty despite being a room full of students until the back half of the season.

This season felt a little darker than the other two. In some ways it felt more like it could be called Karate Kid 4.

A lot of the best scenes were Johnny and Miguel’s rehab sessions It began to feel more like Cobra Kai after Daniel came back from Japan

It was weird they brought back every missing actor from season 1 but dropped Aisha.

Great season. Worth the wait. Now begins the wait for s4.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 2, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The timeline of season 3 kind of makes no sense. It starts two weeks after the end of season 2(so mid Septemberish) and ends around Christmas but not nearly enough time passes in the season to get them there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TheBuilder posted:

Where they not just completely doing fake outs with every blonde woman shown from behind before Ally actually showed?

I liked this season, but the production gap is going to be jarring. Also, when the hell would it air - December 2022?

They can probably get season 4 out by winter of next year. The writers have been working on it. Lol that everyone is going to age an extra year because the gap from filming s3 and 4.

Next season they should throw a large bag of money at Hillary Swank to show up as a dojo sensei coaching a student in the tournament

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 2, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Season 4 should remember Daniel has a son for more than one episode and have Demetri or Hawk be Anthony's mentor. They started off about as nerdy as him and either would be a hilarious pairing. Especially Hawk and Anthony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zakarian probably rues the day he let Snake Karate into his shopping center.