Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Twelve by Pies posted:

The dialog is even worse too, at least back during the "roosevelts" days you could generally tell what the gently caress characters were talking about and it resembled conversations two people might have with each other.

the average reader is just skimming it for blurry cleavage to jack off to, Muir could replace the dialogue with cookie recipes and nobody would notice or care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
"Mix the butter and sugar together until it's beaten well."

"Like how Biden has been beating hard working patriotic white folks?"

"Well, you know what they say, gotta break a few eggs..."

[exterior shot of the white house]

"Sir, the American people just don't have enough dough."

"Man, then let them eat cake!"

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Man, then let them eat cake!"

Please do not import cake discourse to this thread.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this comic really riled up the bss comic strip thread for some reason

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

this got published???

dang I'd think the Family Circus part alone would keep it out of the funnies

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Some Guy TT posted:

I read this comic as a kid but I dont remember it going this hard

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1486470195036270600

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ted Rall standing outside the window at that school board meeting going :sickos:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lets solve this puppy.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

is RUPEE a word.

RUNED?

big deal has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Jan 27, 2022

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they went through the trouble of making it consistent so i think they might have had a word in mind.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ted Rall standing outside the window at that school board meeting going :sickos:

did he have some kind of issue with the maus guy?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drunkboxer posted:

Yes.
Yes.

I can't find it, but there's a comic abotu Ted Rall's statue in the comic hall that used to be good fodder for his defenders' avatars

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 14:04 on Jan 27, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

b_d posted:

is RUPEE a word.

Yeah even if you don't want to count the Zelda games rupees are the currency of India.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah Rall hates Spiegelman.

https://www.villagevoice.com/1999/07/27/the-king-of-comix/

Rall's criticism of Spiegelman is: he's an elitist snob, not a true underground comic artist, and that true underground comic artists aren't able to get work because Spiegelman is giving all the art jobs to his elitist snob friends. He rules the comics scene in New York, and all the comics artists are afraid of him because he will ruin your career if you dare badmouth him. Also he only won the Pulitzer because he didn't have any competition and it was a "special citation" Pulitzer which really only goes to things that aren't even that good. And well, I'll just quote this one directly:

quote:

Nothing on Art’s résumé comes close to Maus in quality or concept. Even some of his most ardent supporters concede that he’s the Quentin Tarantino of cartooning, a guy with one great book in him. Great artists are those people who can keep up the pace year after year; everyone else is a one-hit wonder.

I'm not anywhere near well versed in art to say if Spiegelman is actually a talented artist or not. Nor do I know anything about the dude's personal life or what he was like. Hell, for all I know, every single accusation Rall makes in this article could be completely factual (though it's Rall, so I have my doubts). But whether it's deserved or not, Rall definitely has no love for Spiegelman.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1486690336269340673

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Quentin Tarantino only ever made one good movie" is also an interesting take for Ted Rall to say to Ted Rall's fanbase (which it seems likely are unanimously Tarantino fans as well)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I was going to say that the article was written in 1999, and maybe that sentence made a bit more sense then, but looking it up Tarantino's work at that point consisted of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown. So yeah that's still a weird thing to say.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

loquacius posted:

"Quentin Tarantino only ever made one good movie" is also an interesting take for Ted Rall to say to Ted Rall's fanbase (which it seems likely are unanimously Tarantino fans as well)
Are you questioning the judgment of the master of movie criticism Ted "Citizen Kane is unwatchable" Rall?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

frankenfreak posted:

Are you questioning the judgment of the master of movie criticism Ted "Citizen Kane is unwatchable" Rall?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

oh someone reminded me that ted rall exists

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

frankenfreak posted:

he told roger ebert that at a party and then ebert told him why he personally likes the movie and its historical importance and ted rall decided that was a good enough story to make a comic about right after he died and also that it meant that ebert was dumb.

Drunkboxer has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Jan 27, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Maus is a good graphic novel.

I have no idea about the New York comic scene or anything like that, but when I was in college, one of my coworkers ran a sound/lighting board for a talk he gave. He spent a good portion of the talk complaining that he couldn't smoke on stage (it was a fire risk and also it was the early oughts, a bunch of states wouldn't let you smoke indoors) and how we didn't have a laser pointer for him that wasn't on his tech rider. He was an rear end in a top hat.

But Ted Rall is probably an rear end in a top hat, too.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

speigelman sucks. raw sucked. that stupid loving 9/11 book sucked. his personality sucks. its poo poo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my recollection of the exact details of the rall spiegelman spat is that spiegelman was effectively acting as a gatekeeper to the entire subculture of literary graphic novels and ralls assertion was that spiegelman was so insanely bad at this task he was effectively killing the genre

with the benefit of retrospect rall was pretty much entirely correct about this the only literary graphic novel released this entire century with any kind of comparable impact to the eighties and nineties stuff was fun home and fun home was not coincidentally written by an author famous for writing in a subculture with minimal connection to spiegelmans new york scene

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
i would’ve liked it if he gatekeeped even harder and prevented any of ted ralls work from existing

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah even if you don't want to count the Zelda games rupees are the currency of India.

right i knew that but i don't know if it qualifies as a "word" for this kind of game. probably, since it's not capitalized. i guess

Some Guy TT posted:

my recollection of the exact details of the rall spiegelman spat is that spiegelman was effectively acting as a gatekeeper to the entire subculture of literary graphic novels and ralls assertion was that spiegelman was so insanely bad at this task he was effectively killing the genre

with the benefit of retrospect rall was pretty much entirely correct about this the only literary graphic novel released this entire century with any kind of comparable impact to the eighties and nineties stuff was fun home and fun home was not coincidentally written by an author famous for writing in a subculture with minimal connection to spiegelmans new york scene

not sure im understanding this right but that doesnt necessarily show that spiegelman was making poor choices for what to promote. if there was something he explicitly passed on that turned out to have an impact that would be one thing. but something he DIDN'T have a say in blowing up doesn't really say anything.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't believe a single dude killed the entire genre of graphic novels with his gatekeeping powers, possibly due to his jewish heritage(?)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

b_d posted:

right i knew that but i don't know if it qualifies as a "word" for this kind of game. probably, since it's not capitalized. i guess

On one hand I can't imagine they wouldn't count currency names, since by that logic dollar and cent would be disqualified. On the other hand the game might not count non-English words, which currency names would qualify as, like I dunno if they'd accept yuan or zloty or santim.

I dunno I never played Wordle.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

What about Persepolis.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

b_d posted:

not sure im understanding this right but that doesnt necessarily show that spiegelman was making poor choices for what to promote. if there was something he explicitly passed on that turned out to have an impact that would be one thing. but something he DIDN'T have a say in blowing up doesn't really say anything.

it is indeed entirely possible maybe even likely that literary graphic novels failed because they all sucked but even that interpretation just makes spiegelman a neutral figure at best

its all inside baseball bullshit that cant be easily researched one of the old d&d threads attempted to once and found that the few people informed on the issue enough to write into the relevant newspapers tended to side with rall and harvey pekar was one such crank

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I seriously had no idea Fun Home was a 21st-century joint, I always assumed it was way older than that

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

loquacius posted:

this got published???

dang I'd think the Family Circus part alone would keep it out of the funnies

Yeah, I got a sunday paper for my grandma last week and this one was in there

I wonder if the turbo chud old people will complain and get it dropped

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait poo poo i just remembered that art spiegelman exists too uhhh

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

wait poo poo i just remembered that art spiegelman exists too uhhh

this is really good and it makes me wanna go back in time and hang out with Maurice Sendak

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I heard art did a submission for the iranian Holocaust cartoon contest in 2006 but never saw it. dunno if it was real or hearsay.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/1486745922306510855

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Was that writer Ted Rall?
I have to imagine it was for Ted Rall to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Superanos posted:

very low effort ben

wtf is this